ADVERTISEMENT

WE NEEED A PG

IDK, I dont love the idea of Lamont being our starting PG.. I'd really like to add someone else.

His shooting percentages me me think we might have just a taller version of Wheeler. I think he makes for a great backup guard.. or a lead guard IF positons 2-5 are very strong.. but yeah, I think we need someone better.

Considering we barely had anyone it’s a possibility.

Nah this guy is a winner. He’s a SoCal guy that’s treated like royalty there. He entered the portal on Wed but still leaned towards returning to SD. Whatever UK told him to lock him up on the spot must’ve been good. Duke was there too. After talks with UK, he didn’t even entertain Duke. He’s coming here to start.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Just don't ask him to make a 3 or a free throw...
Well before last year the two years before he shot 73% and 77% from the free throw line. He doesn't shoot a ton of threes (3 per game), and makes one, or free throws per game. Not like he shot 60% from the free throw line on 6 attempts per game.

We need him to pass score and run the offense, which seems like a pretty important piece in Pope's offense.

In On3 rankings, he is ranked as the 227 best player. 46 PG rank ahead of him.

247 doesn't even have him ranked, and they rank their top 382 prospects.

If he is the primary pg, we could be in for a long season on offense. Glad to have him, particularly for his defense. However, being able to shoot and run a potent offense doesn't really seem like a strength of his.

Are those the same people ranking Askew, Hagans, Boston, Edwards, Wagner???

Those rankings must not have accounted for how he ran a potent offense that went to the championship game and hitting a game winner in the final four to even get there.

Steph Curry seriously warped minds. They need to be a study on how it affected minds of basketball fans. Now we have guys like this, that probably grew up watching Steph and thinking that’s the only way to be successful. SMH

Reactions: true blue1
Man did any of you guys watch San Diego St. At all this year or last year? The kid can play, great shooter? No, but he will keep a defense honest. A better version of Harris at Kansas, plus he is a lockdown defender. And I guarantee he will be shooting a lot this summer inside Craft.

I’d look for Butlers FT percentage to make a big jump this season and hopefully his 3pt to increase a bit as well. Popes crew knows these players weaknesses and will focus on them during the offseason. You know, basic coaching 101 stuff we haven’t seen for years.
Your predictions are likely to be true. He hit 35% last year on spot up threes last year and his first 3 years
hit 72%, 73%, 73% from the line. Last year he got something in his head and couldn't make a free
the first part of the year and was back to normal at the end of the year.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Exceptions with a 7-2 tournament record, all-conference defensive player, and national title game appearance as a starter?

Those kind of exceptions?
When did I diss his defensive skills? I don't think the dude should start with his shooting numbers. Fine bench piece. Like I said, for every crazy NCAAT run, there's a Sahvir Wheeler type who can't shoot and makes your team tank in the 1st round. And btw, we heard the same when Wheeler commited ''his shooting will improve, look at the assists, sec assist leader, hes at Georgia''. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's just my opinion. I don't think it's smart to go into a NCAA season with a PG who can't shoot. Again, JMO.

Everyone griped that Cal refused to get guards that can shoot but now we love it.
I definitely want to see PGs at UK that can shoot the 3 well. Having good 3pt. shooting from the PG spot is highly desirable – maybe mandatory if you don’t have a couple of really good shooters at the other starting spots. Butler’s percentage was down some this past season, but his shot looks fine; and I think it’s fair to expect at least 32% next season. I’ve not bothered to go back and look, but I wonder how 32% 3pt. shooting would compare to UK's starting PGs during the Calipari era?

When did I diss his defensive skills? I don't think the dude should start with his shooting numbers. Fine bench piece. Like I said, for every crazy NCAAT run, there's a Sahvir Wheeler type who can't shoot and makes your team tank in the 1st round. And btw, we heard the same when Wheeler commited ''his shooting will improve, look at the assists, sec assist leader, hes at Georgia''. I hope he prooves me wrong, but that's just my opinion. I don't think it's smart to go into a NCAA season with a PG who can't shoot. Again, JMO.
I agree that we need a complimentary guard for Butler.

Butler can guard the opposing 2 and play backup PG.
The dude has started three straight years for highly ranked teams. As the starting PG, he helped lead his teams to SDSU’s greatest NCAA tournament runs in its entire history. And he is his conference’s reigning DPOY, was three time First Team All Defense, and is widely regarded as perhaps the best perimeter defender in the entire country.

Ain’t no way that guy came here with the plan to move to a backup role for his final year. Folks here need to accept that he will probably be our starting point guard. And deservedly so.

It baffles me how many people here are shortchanging this kid. He’s far better than some of y’all seem to think.

I agree that we need a complimentary guard for Butler.
And I'm fine with Butler starting. If we have guys like Brea on the wings, who are snipers that he can drive and kick to. That's the only way I can see him working as a starter. I'd much prefer if he came off the bench as a mini Liggins. Who I can see him being like at UK. Which is why Im so glad we have him. When's the last time we had a lockdown defender on-ball like Liggins? Some guys on the 2015 team maybe?

Those rankings must not have accounted for how he ran a potent offense that went to the championship game and hitting a game winner in the final four to even get there.

Steph Curry seriously warped minds. They need to be a study on how it affected minds of basketball fans. Now we have guys like this, that probably grew up watching Steph and thinking that’s the only way to be successful. SMH
Do you think there may some differences in rating hs players vs college players will multiple years of experience?

Or those things are accounted for and they realize there are many better options. Hitting a clutch shot once doesn't mean he is better than others. It just means he hit a clutch shot.

You seem to think you know better than countless unbiased experts who all have similar conclusions regarding him.

Lol, that's the way the current game is played. Listen to Pope say his offense is going to hunt three pointers. Curry changed how the game has played. The NBA takes close to 60 threes a game. Analytics all say sucess predicates on the long ball. Too many guys are stubborn in here and stuck in 1975.

Do you think there may some differences in rating hs players vs college players will multiple years of experience?

Or those things are accounted for and they realize there are many better options. Hitting a clutch shot once doesn't mean he is better than others. It just means he hit a clutch shot.

You seem to think you know better than countless unbiased experts who all have similar conclusions regarding him.

He was the starting point guard on a team that went to the championship and sweet 16 in back to back years, not just one shot.

Watch more basketball, it will make you smarter about these kinds of things and hopefully some day, be able to hold a civil conversation.

Reactions: UK90
If I am being totally honest, Butler does not do any one thing on offense great. Doesn't score a lot, not a knock down shooter, not a great assist guy, or even high average rebounder. But what he does do I love. He gets after it, has great tenacity. Shows a ton of grit and will to win. He will NOT whoa you with offensive #'s, but what he is, is a guy that if you are going to battle, you want on your team, always gives MAX effort. He will sacrifice and do whatever it takes to WIN (hit the game winning shot to advance to the title game). He is a guy who hates to lose.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Yeah its not that Butler couldn't work. I just think if we want to have a realistic chance of making a splash in March, we probably need someone who can shoot it at a higher clip and be a bit more of a proven and reliable playmaker. 3 assists to 1.5 TOs isn't all that great either.

And yes, I'm aware he went to some final4s.. but thats more and more becoming kind of a crap shoot for some teams.

39/34/76 and DPOTY on what was probably the third best team in the nation. Ziegler. That said, we don't quite yet have a Knect. I despise the Big Orange but they were good with a PG hitting 39/34.

Why do so many people seem to think Butler's game is garbage? This dude can freaking play! And he has ice water running through his veins. This dude is a dawg. When you are in a critical situation and need someone to make a big play for you, Butler is one of the guys you'd want to call on. Don't just go to ESPN and look at his stats and base your opinion of him on that alone.

Gee, I don't know. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. But I get the impression that the guy can play just a little. LOL.

Also, if we had him on the roster back in March, I bet we don't freaking lose to Oakland in the first round.

We have 6 players on our roster right now and 2 of them are point guards.... Also worth noting everyone loved Popes offense at BYU right, would you rather have Dallin Hall or Lamont Butler? I think our offense will be just fine, we aren't going to need a point guard who can get in the lane at will in order to run any offense at all.

Why do so many people seem to think Butler's game is garbage? This dude can freaking play! And he has ice water running through his veins. This dude is a dawg. When you are in a critical situation and need someone to make a big play for you, Butler is one of the guys you'd want to call on. Don't just go to ESPN and look at his stats and base your opinion of him on that alone.

Gee, I don't know. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. But I get the impression that the guy can play just a little. LOL.
Sure, as long as that play isn't a three or free throw.

• Haha
Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
Please list some of these “countless unbiased experts” that you’re referencing.

Because I have no clue what you’re talking about. I’ve seen nothing but uniform praise for this signing from “unbiased” basketball people outside the UK world.

So, I’m curious, can you back that claim up with links?

If this staff can lock up Brea this week and then Jaxson Robinson, they will be a very tough out.

But these are just the guys we know are in the crosshairs. Pope has 29 guys, 28 now in talks with. Lots of combos can work but pretty sure you’ll see the staff prioritize shooters from here on out.

It was a smart play to go after the bigs and defensive guys they wanted first before they got scooped up.

He was the starting point guard on a team that went to the championship and sweet 16 in back to back years, not just one shot.

Watch more basketball, it will make you smarter about these kinds of things and hopefully some day, be able to hold a civil conversation.
Ohh, Lord. You're a sensitive little thing, aren't you?

2 years ago, when they made the F4 and were runner-up, they lost to every ranked team they played in the regular season, and went 15-3 in the mountain west. They had losses to St. Mary's, New Mexico, Nevada and Boise st.
They almost lost their first NCAA game to the college of Charleston. Then they went on a run to the cchampionship. Solid season, but it's not like he was their star or anything. They ranked 188th in scoring, btw. He ranked 8th on the team in scoring based on per 40. He also averages 5 assist to 3 turnovers per 40 and 4.2 fouls. His OBPM for the season was a negative. The only player on SDSU with a negative.

"bUt hE MAde A bUzzER bEatER iN dA f4!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT