ADVERTISEMENT

WE NEEED A PG

Butler is going to be our starting PG, most likely

But Perry isn’t really a PG, so we do need a backup PG.

I was hoping we would get Mahaney, who is a combo, and we could play him at the 2 and let him be the backup 1, but he is off the board.

Someone else will emerge, though.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
But not everybody has to shoot 40% or better from 3. What cost us the game against Oakland? We need some guys who can provide what was missing in that game and, well, just about every other game too.
Yes but right now the only shooter we have are unproven freshmen.

Everyone griped that Cal refused to get guards that can shoot but now we love it.
You're changing the subject.

You implied that a point guard who can't shoot can't be part of a successful team.

Butler literally napalmed your logic a year ago when he was a game short of winning a national title.

So, clearly, a guy like Butler can in fact lead his team to a Final Four. Why? Because he already has.

And I don't think anyone is supporting your strawman that we "love" a guy who can't shoot. Of course we'd love for Butler to shoot 35% from three, but the roster isn't complete. It's silly to pretend that it is, and it's also silly to assert that Butler is somehow unqualified because he doesn't meet some arbitrary standard of what a point guard should look like.

He's literally one of a handful of guys still in college with Final Four experience. You get that, right?

Everyone griped that Cal refused to get guards that can shoot but now we love it.

Yeah cause no one trusted Cals ability to construct a roster. Take the top rated guys and “figure it out” ended up in not figuring it out most of the time and always next years.

I trust this staff to put the right pieces together.

I’d look for Butlers FT percentage to make a big jump this season and hopefully his 3pt to increase a bit as well. Popes crew knows these players weaknesses and will focus on them during the offseason. You know, basic coaching 101 stuff we haven’t seen for years.

Some on here are truely underestimating Lamont Butlers ability to be the PG for this team. He has tons of experience, knows how to be a leader, been to the final 4, played for the National Title, is considered one of the best defenders in the game...I mean damn.
I'm glad we have him and I can't wait for him to prove all the doubters wrong.

The best perimeter defender in the country is a pg and he’s on our team. His backup Perry, although a freshman, will be solid.
We need him to pass score and run the offense, which seems like a pretty important piece in Pope's offense.

In On3 rankings, he is ranked as the 227 best player. 46 PG rank ahead of him.

247 doesn't even have him ranked, and they rank their top 382 prospects.

If he is the primary pg, we could be in for a long season on offense. Glad to have him, particularly for his defense. However, being able to shoot and run a potent offense doesn't really seem like a strength of his.

Last edited:
We need him to pass score and run the offense, which seems like a pretty important piece in Pope's offense.

247 doesn't even have in ranked, and they rank their top 382 prospects.

If he is the primary pg, we could be in for a long season on offense.
Tom Brady was the 199th pick in the NFL draft
Six QB’s were considered better than him in 2000

247 doesn't even have in ranked, and they rank their top 382 prospects.

If he is the primary pg, we could be in for a long season on offense.
Butler was SDSU's point guard in 2023 and his season was really really long--all the way to the national championship game.

Is Small for sure to Ole Miss. Thats another big miss if so. We absolutely need one of Small/Smith/Richmond for pg. Two of the 3 would be ideal. Start them both.

If Bulter is the starting pg it’ll be a rough year. The only way he starts and it works for us is if Johnell Davis, Robinson, Osobor and Williams are in the starting lineup with him and that’s a long shot.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Tom Brady was the 199th pick in the NFL draft
Six QB’s were considered better than him in 2000
I mean, that's a great example because obviously Tom Brady went to NE and took over the starting duties immediately, amd was certainly not 4th string. And that kind of situation is certainly one that repeats itself often.

Also, Brady was originally thought to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick until he bombed at the combine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT