ADVERTISEMENT

We can legally start paying players tomorrow

RingoLucky

Sophomore
Dec 21, 2020
On the good side it could get rid of the Gleague.
But what keeps one of our good donors from telling a recruit they’ll pay them 1 million to come here and advertise tomorrow?
if you think the gap between the haves and have nots was bad, just wait until this thing opens up.
I guess having the old quiet people in lower ripped will actually be a good thing. They can now buy our players.

I will say another thing I’ve thought, is in football, this could be a good thing for parity. While schools like Alabama will still get 5 stars, there’s only so much money to go around and I don’t think they’re rosters will fill out like they once did. Mac Jones could have been in a UK Jersey instead of bama if we had somebody offering him a million to advertise there car lot. I don’t think bama woulda matched that for a qb that they weren’t sure was ever gonna play…

so many possibilities in this new world but one sure fact is college athletics as we know them is now dead. It’s always going to be about who pays the most. Never what school it is

But what keeps one of our good donors from telling a recruit they’ll pay them 1 million to come here and advertise tomorrow?
if you think the gap between the haves and have nots was bad, just wait until this thing opens up.
I guess having the old quiet people in lower ripped will actually be a good thing. They can now buy our players.

I will say another thing I’ve thought, is in football, this could be a good thing for parity. While schools like Alabama will still get 5 stars, there’s only so much money to go around and I don’t think they’re rosters will fill out like they once did. Mac Jones could have been in a UK Jersey instead of bama if we had somebody offering him a million to advertise there car lot. I don’t think bama woulda matched that for a qb that they weren’t sure was ever gonna play…

so many possibilities in this new world but one sure fact is college athletics as we know them is now dead. It’s always going to be about who pays the most. Never what school it is
Kansas, LSU, Duke & Arizona has been paying them for years.

If it gets to be too much for the little guys, then I suggest the NCAA redo their divisions.

Let the SEC, ACC, B10, Big 12, Pac12, and Big East compete for a big boy trophy and let the other conferences fight it out for their own national title.

They use to do it in football, I’m fine with doing it in basketball. It would allow me to root for my alma mater WKU and them actually have a legit chance to make a Final Four and win a title.

Amateurs...

th

Oh so you mean the only thing that will actually change will be schools will now be allowed to do what a lot of cheating schools have been doing under the table for years? Sounds good to me
This.

Duke, UNC, LSU, AZ, U of L been winning recruiting battles by cheating the system for a decade plus.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Agreed but not legally and not to the amount they will now.
There’s no need for post talking about how it’s already been happening. Everybody knows that. However, nobody agrees with it and its over now.
Open the gates

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about silly things like tradition, fan support, coaching, facilities, etc to sign recruits. We can just pay them!
Bingo.
It’s all that will matter now. Im sure some of the posters here don’t believe it, but a lot of good players at UK turned down illegal stuff just to play here with good morals.
Now that type of stuff won’t matter. There conscious will be free and they’ll be able to make there millions in college

Reactions: RunninRichie
If it gets to be too much for the little guys, then I suggest the NCAA redo their divisions.

Let the SEC, ACC, B10, Big 12, Pac12, and Big East compete for a big boy trophy and let the other conferences fight it out for their own national title.

They use to do it in football, I’m fine with doing it in basketball. It would allow me to root for my alma mater WKU and them actually have a legit chance to make a Final Four and win a title.
You don't think WKU ever bought players? Guarantee you in the '70s they were. Know for a fact McDaniels was. It went /goes on everywhere

Maryland might be in the best position of anyone from this with Under Armors founder being a major booster.

It is extremely naive to believe this won't happen exactly as is being described in this thread.

Exactly as is being described? Come on.

First of all, as has been said a thousand times, so much of what you fear has been happening for decades. Every kid already chooses the school that makes the most sense for their career. This is just another layer.

Second, you have to acknowledge that we are an incredibly small minority. Virtually no one loves college basketball like we do. To the rest of the country, it's a gambling tv show in March.

The idea that "Apple and Facebook billionaires from Stanford" care enough to buy elite players for millions of dollars AND are that stupid with their money is hilarious. It's like a poor person's idea of what they'd do if they were rich. You don't become a billionaire by throwing money at teenagers who will return zero profit for you.

The kind of people who will be involved in this are the local guys who already think they're important and want to be around the program. The guys who go to the little dinners with Stoops or who you see sitting in the good seats at neutral site games. That kind of money is everywhere.

You don't think WKU ever bought players? Guarantee you in the '70s they were. Know for a fact McDaniels was. It went /goes on everywhere

That’s not the point. Of course they bought players and they will “buy” plenty in the future. They will just have a harder time buying the best players and as many of them when compared to the big boys.

This is a return to the 70’s in a way. And in the 70’s who ruled? UCLA, UK, IU, UNC, etc. The big boys will be able to outbid the little guys, just like back in the day.

So if the little guys get tired of it, just give them their own tourney so they can win a title.

Reactions: blackcat714
the schools with most alumni billionaires will get the best players. Oregon will start handing out shoe contracts, Michigan and Michigan State will have automobile endorsements. Stanford will provide Apple and Facebook deals

I wouldn't undersell the fanbases of schools like Kentucky or Kansas, though. They might not have as many millionaires.. but they strike me as the type of fans who would go the extra mile to secure a recruit. If I was living in Lexington, business owner making a cool million, I'd do my part to get some of these guys. I don't know if as many UCLA or Oregon alum would do the same.

.. or at least I hope. Because it is true, other schools have greater alumni bases, and could probably outbid us for recruits. We need to find a way to make up for that.

I wouldn't undersell the fanbases of schools like Kentucky or Kansas, though. They might not have as many millionaires.. but they strike me as the type of fans who would go the extra mile to secure a recruit. If I was living in Lexington, business owner making a cool million, I'd do my part to get some of these guys. I don't know if as many UCLA or Oregon alum would do the same.

.. or at least I hope. Because it is true, other schools have greater alumni bases, and could probably outbid us for recruits. We need to find a way to make up for that.

It's already made up for.

We're really quickly going to see that the idea most people have of this isn't going to be the case. There will be car dealerships and restaurants and all that, sure. But that's everywhere.

The real money (and money the kids will chase) will be online. Instagram endorsements. YouTube spots. NFTs. Stuff they can do on their phone and reach millions of people. That's going to beat out spending an entire Saturday waving at people buying Ford F-150s.

So yeah the cut of jersey sales in the book store will be nice, but just having tons of fans online who follow you will equate to larger pay days from companies. We're positioned beautifully for that.

Exactly as is being described? Come on.

First of all, as has been said a thousand times, so much of what you fear has been happening for decades. Every kid already chooses the school that makes the most sense for their career. This is just another layer.

Second, you have to acknowledge that we are an incredibly small minority. Virtually no one loves college basketball like we do. To the rest of the country, it's a gambling tv show in March.

The idea that "Apple and Facebook billionaires from Stanford" care enough to buy elite players for millions of dollars AND are that stupid with their money is hilarious. It's like a poor person's idea of what they'd do if they were rich. You don't become a billionaire by throwing money at teenagers who will return zero profit for you.

The kind of people who will be involved in this are the local guys who already think they're important and want to be around the program. The guys who go to the little dinners with Stoops or who you see sitting in the good seats at neutral site games. That kind of money is everywhere.
This is true. The fans on here that think there are these ignorant billionaires that love their local team so much they are willing to throw away money on a kid to play on their favorite team are wrong. While NLI is definitely going to change the landscape, I think after the initial shock wears off, no one is going to notice much difference. I'll bet you'll see more money made by players holding clinics and autograph signings than you will by endorsements. And it can't be stressed enough that outside of Kentucky, the triangle in NC, and Indiana, no one gives a shit about college basketball until March.

As far as football, this will help the have nots. No way Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State will continue to stockpile 5 star backups when those kids can go to other schools and be a starter and maybe sell their autograph.

The schools can not directly pay the players any more under NLI than they can now (full scholarship + stipend).
Thanks. I wasn't sure. I was thinking no way can the colleges afford to pay every student athlete. Only athletes from the money making sports are being talked about but I know there is no way they could get away with only paying them and not the rest.

Bingo.
It’s all that will matter now. Im sure some of the posters here don’t believe it, but a lot of good players at UK turned down illegal stuff just to play here with good morals.
Now that type of stuff won’t matter. There conscious will be free and they’ll be able to make there millions in college
I was going to say something than I realized you probably are in some kind of group home so i will not. Keep the faith.

It's already made up for.

We're really quickly going to see that the idea most people have of this isn't going to be the case. There will be car dealerships and restaurants and all that, sure. But that's everywhere.

The real money (and money the kids will chase) will be online. Instagram endorsements. YouTube spots. NFTs. Stuff they can do on their phone and reach millions of people. That's going to beat out spending an entire Saturday waving at people buying Ford F-150s.

So yeah the cut of jersey sales in the book store will be nice, but just having tons of fans online who follow you will equate to larger pay days from companies. We're positioned beautifully for that.

Exactly. The vast majority of the money for athletes will come through monetizing their social media accounts. Which means the highest paid college athlete in Kentucky over the next year is most likely not going to be some highly touted basketball recruit getting offers from boosters.

It’ll most likely be someone with a massive social media presence like Louisville’s Hailey Van Lith. She’s potentially looking at nearly $1 million per year from social media alone if she decides to go all in.

Oh so you mean the only thing that will actually change will be schools will now be allowed to do what a lot of cheating schools have been doing under the table for years? Sounds good to me
"Under the table... And dreaming?" Just guessing by your screen name you are a Dave Matthews Band fan? Been a fan for a long time myself.

Reactions: kydmb99

Actually, I don’t think we can. The players can accept money for likeness used, commercials, etc. I do not think you can start giving out C notes for a made three pointer.

They will grandfather in Kansas, Duke , Arizona, LSU so they won't get in trouble now. They have been waiting for this, probably why it has taken them so long to punish them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT