ADVERTISEMENT

We Bullied The Checkerboards Out Of Existence, but...

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
But we're still just letting these two abominations exist without any pushback?

939px-Kentucky_Wildcats_logo.svg.png
FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

The below three images should be our ONLY logos unless I am forgetting one for some reason.

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg
Kentucky-Wildcats-Logo-2005.png
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

What Mitch Barnhart has done to our branding and logos should be a felony.

Did we bully the checkerboards out of existence?

I know we tried to, but those efforts went ignored year after year after year... The administration stubbornly kept them longer than any other uniform design I can ever remember. It almost seemed like they were keeping them longer than originally intended purely out of defiance.

I don’t think the fans had a damn thing to do with it. UK finally got rid of them simply because we always change uniforms after a few years and these had gone way past the normal expiration date.

Last edited:

FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

The below three images should be our ONLY logos unless I am forgetting one for some reason.

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg

I agree 100% and I purposely seek out Hats and shirts with the Wildcat logo and the K.

FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg

Doesn’t the fb team still checkerboard? So wth are you talking about Barney being bullied? At the end of the day cal has the day on uniform design not the Ad.

Doesn’t the fb team still checkerboard? So wth are you talking about Barney being bullied? At the end of the day cal has the day on uniform design not the Ad.
Football just changed. They have the blue/blue checkerboard on the collar. The unis aren't terrible. Hopefully no more gimmicky chrome helmet.

The 'modern wildcat' has slowly grown on me, but I don't love it. If they flipped it, it could easily be morphed into something that looks like a K. Would def be unique. The generic UK is an abomination. Kentucky should have something unique.

Checkerboard is really Illuminati chess board, and Cal was forced to have his kids wear them after pissing off Phil Knight. After sufficient penance, Cal was no longer required to have those uniforms, and now he gets to have #1 recruiting classes again.

Look deeper.

FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg

No one between the age of 4 and 60 is wearing anything with those logos. Just Gen Xers who have 100 First Date brain damage. You can go older and get something more fun. All those are the equivalent of a 1988 Ford Mustang.

No one between the age of 4 and 60 is wearing anything with those logos. Just Gen Xers who have 100 First Date brain damage. You can go older and get something more fun. All those are the equivalent of a 1988 Ford Mustang.

What a terrible post. You must be a teenager.

Reactions: westerncat

FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg

It is absolutely hilarious that you think you or any of the people bitching about the uniforms had anything to do with them being changed. The cycle of uniforms for the most part run 5 years. To still think that the AD really had much if any say in the uniforms after they were put into production is about as equally funny. NIKE designed the uniforms.

Players (who were here at the time they debuted) were among those who had say in the final mock designs and what were eventually decided upon. NIKE ran with the uniforms - and gave us lots of dollars in the process for 5 years. Pretty much the standard except for occasional throwbacks or special occasion uniforms. For all of the knowledgable fans we have, we are getting more and who completely debunk that notion.

FBTZCsqWYAYujaJ.png

51GdgzG8+CL.jpg

B S

Why does it have to be so hard for UK to get good uniforms made. A guy on twitter is over here designing stuff 10x better than nike.
The guy on twitter isn't giving the athletic department millions of dollars every year either.

Doesn’t the fb team still checkerboard? So wth are you talking about Barney being bullied? At the end of the day cal has the say on uniform design not the Ad.
Wrong. Nike has the final say after submitting a couple proposed designs and they normally last 5 years, give or take a year or so, not the coach, not the AD. As stated above NIKE pays a bunch of money and prints hundreds of thousands of the relics uniforms to sell to fans.

BTW, I corrected the typo in your post to "say" instead of "day"

The guy on twitter isn't giving the athletic department millions of dollars every year either.

Wrong. Nike has the final say after submitting a couple proposed designs and they normally last 5 years, give or take a year or so, not the coach, not the AD. As stated above NIKE pays a bunch of money and prints hundreds of thousands of the relics uniforms to sell to fans.

What?

Dude I’m an old mf’er like you are.
I absolutely hated the checkerboard unis, and I’m really happy they’re gone, but I’m ok with the new UK logo and I think the two birds effing logo is ok as well. Just chill. Think of them as additions to the UK brand.

Ok you got me there. I think if cal was adamant about a specific uniform Nike, Barney all would comply. Btw I appreciate your correcting my typo. The teacher in me is always picking posts apart so I get it. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
Football just changed. They have the blue/blue checkerboard on the collar. The unis aren't terrible. Hopefully no more gimmicky chrome helmet.

The 'modern wildcat' has slowly grown on me, but I don't love it. If they flipped it, it could easily be morphed into something that looks like a K. Would def be unique. The generic UK is an abomination. Kentucky should have something unique.
No they’re not bad but the checkerboard is still there albeit in a much more subtle way. Was Barney and Nike going for the secretariat look before? Because that look is completely gone. So in that sense lol Barney gets the last laugh. 😂 the subliminal checkerboard

I refuse to buy anything with that blue K-St logo (that ain’t Kentucky Wildcats!).

But I don’t see the difference in the 2 interlocking UK ones, except one may have thicker letters, which is trivial to me.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
I would take checkerboards all day every day over two birds ****ing. Two birds ****ing is so thoroughly Mitch Barnhart you will never ever get me to believe he didn’t draw that personally.

I love the checkerboard. And the way it was tastefully done you almost had to look for it to be offended when you wanted to be offended by it.

The checkerboard was an ode to horse racing and especially to Secretariat.

This being the 50th anniversary of Secretariat’s record breaking triple crown run was the worst time to retire it

That’s another one of Barney’s blunders.

I’m not a huge fan of the hummingbird looking wildcat head but I have a few shirts with it on them and a cap with it.

I don’t mind the different looks. I have closets and drawers full of UK apparel. It’s ok for it to be different.

I don't agree about the first one of those. The other two really need to come back. But honestly, the Power K is the only one we should use period.

There’s some remnant of the Secretariat look at Kroger, too. Horse racing themes in the visitors center and recruiting areas. Personally I like the homage to the true king of sports in this state—horse racing.

what kills me is people will say on one hand (for example) I hate the checkerboards because they look like Tennessee or the New secondary logo looks like 2 birds or K-State, etc. We need to be original, classic or something else.

Some will say (although not so far in this latest adaptation of the great uniform debate) that we need to break ground, do something new. Some hate, some love, most don't really care enough to complain either way.

The bottom line(s) is/are NIKE makes the uniforms. They give us lots of money for this. NIKE (as well as others) is in the business of recouping some of the dollars they give to us buy selling replicas and apparel with our logos on them. As the University of Kentucky is usually in the upper echelon of sales, that's a pretty good indication that the majority of the people are OKAY with what logos, uniforms that our teams are wearing. It's usually the outliers that make noise about disliking things.

Either way, unless the University decides next time it's in the process of getting new logos/uniforms they hold an open contest for fans to submit ideas, we the fans are not going to have any effect on what decision is made. Even if they do something like that and say 5 are chosen with fans voting on what they like, some of us are going to hate them. It's just the way people are. If it's predominately Blue and White, says "K E N T U C K Y" or 'WILDCATS", HAS the same artwork work by players and teams, chances are people will buy it. My closet is full of the different styles through the years.

Usually don't care that much about unis and logos but the KSU looking logo is way, way beyond goofy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT