ADVERTISEMENT

Was Rupp an offensive genius?

sportspm

Blue Chip Prospect
Jul 26, 2009
It was before my time and probably before most peoples time that post here but looking at past stats and all the high scoring games makes me wonder if Rupp was known more for his offense or defense? No doubt he was way ahead of his time. I know he wrote some books but I haven’t read any of them. Just wondering if anyone on here has any insight or good stores to tell since it’s a slow time for basketball news

He was an innovator, especially in increasing the pace of the offense. He was not a "genius." It's basketball, not understanding the relationship between time and space. There are no 'geniuses' when it comes to getting a ball through a hoop more than your opponent.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Rupp was friends with some of the top pro coaches of the day and would talk basketball with them, so yes he was on the cutting edge of basketball in the day. He was getting top talent and wanted a faster pace to help talent show their skills. He was one of if not the first to play a national schedule. He did this to allow his players to play in areas where there was pro ball, giving them more chance to be noticed. Prior to Rupp, most college ball was local. By traveling to other parts of the country, it lead to highlighting differences in officiating in different areas, creating a problem for the NCAA. This didn't make Rupp very well liked by the NCAA.

• Wow
Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
If not the inventor, he was the popularizer of the fast break, which is a 1000000x greater accolade to have than inventing some BS like the "four corners". The great Red Auerbach once said about Rupp and his teams that he would rather watch a Kentucky basketball practice than any two teams playing a game.

Rupp was ahead of his time, I was able to see his teams from the early 60's they were a fast break first kind of a team but when that wasn't there their offense consisted of player movement and passing, no one exemplified that more than Rupps Runts, he was definately a genius.

Reactions: EliteBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT