ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

-my older brother's gal is from San Luis Potosi. She, her sisters and mother always take care of business when called upon. Reminds me, i have some tamales in the freezer...

^honestly that's limited my desire for authentic tacos and such away from family stuff.

-that said: the taqueria in the back of a mexican grocery is *always* the best.

-durangos on Richmond rd is the go to for semi-authentic guerroized Mexican. Service is great... house made red hot sauce hits the table before I sit down. It's nice to go somewhere where they know what you want without asking.

-Mexican music is basically polka. Heavy German influence.

-game week, mother****ers. Go cats.

Last edited:
* understaffed? On a wait? Sorry, that section is closed? Not at a Mexican restaurant. They’ll throw up a table out back by the dumpster and have margs and chips in hand in 30 seconds if they have to, but they are NOT slow rolling business. That’s exclusively an American concept.
I went to a strip mall joint on James Island once that had an ambulance outside. When we walked in the place was almost completely silent. The hostess took us in and seated us directly, as in 2 feet, next to a guy lying on the floor being resuscitated while his sobbing wife knelt nearby.

Hostess: “do you want queso with your chips?” like nothing was going on.

So yes, those places hustle like an MFer

Last edited:
* I need a good Mexican restaurant in the Brannon area. Mi Pequena Hacienda is absolutely not our jam and we've got to have a local place to get our gringo fix.

Any recs?

* 7:45 is the perfect time for a home opener. This squad has the opportunity to come out in front of a beer drunk Commonwealth Stadium and absolutely boatrace an undermanned Southern Miss squad to grab the fanbase's attention back from basketball.

Ryan Lemond keeps teasing two QB looks with BVG and Wimsatt. Color me dubious. If we run a goal line package for Wimsatt or have him in charge of our stallball squad where we just try to run for 5 yards every down and bleed the clock, cool. But I don't like any hint of If you think you've got 2 QBs, you've really got none.

* Ol' Mitch may be surprised to find that a beer drunk Commonwealth may actually be better behaved than the previous pretend teetotalling. Most of the truly obnoxious behavior comes from people blackout drunk on liquor while also being dehydrated. That shouldn't be nearly the issue with people tipping back overpriced suds.

* Whatever happened to pandering? It used to always be "pimping and pandering" but pandering was left in the dust long ago, like Morris Day while Prince became a global superstar.

Reactions: rudd1 and jayroon
Elly is the 5th best defensive SS in the league this year according to baseball savant.

He makes way too many errors on routine plays, but his range is unreal. It’s so hard to rank players defensively, but there’s no question he does far more good than bad in the field. And he’s only 22. He’ll get much better.

Reactions: jayroon
I’ve been curious about Wimsatt because it sounds like he is just too good to leave on the sidelines and eventually could see a position change if BVG is clearly the guy.

He makes way too many errors on routine plays, but his range is unreal. It’s so hard to rank players defensively, but there’s no question he does far more good than bad in the field. And he’s only 22. He’ll get much better.
Agreed. He makes the hard plays but makes some errors on easier plays. His range and arm are unreal. Arm is so good they'll have him be the cutoff man on balls to the outfield that the 2nd basemen would normally handle.

Having said all of that, I think they're wasting his speed in the infield and should try him in center like the Pirates are doing with Oneil Cruz. Although Boras might not let that happen and they can't risk doing anything to upset he or his agent and ruin the risk of potentially signing him long term.

If you don't move him to center, then I would try McClain who had a lot of experience in the outfield in the minors. Then you could roll with India at 2nd on the cheap and you that would help with their roster balance. That move would get Marte and CES more regular at bats next year (which they both need).

Really good article link below:

* I need a good Mexican restaurant in the Brannon area. Mi Pequena Hacienda is absolutely not our jam and we've got to have a local place to get our gringo fix.

Any recs?

- It's a short drive from Brannon, but I've never had a bad meal at Papi's at Harrodsburg/MOW.

- Since the ASG, watching my favorite MLB team's trajectory has been like watching a car crash in slow motion. Good grief.

- Happy to be eating crow on Jasper.

- Have yet to run into a below-average Kirkland product.

- Still knocking out a new MLB stadium every year, on average. Last three were Philly, Toronto, and Washington. Thinking Camden Yards will be up next for Dad.

- I know it's probably because of the Labor Day holiday, but still weird that ABC decided to put Clem(p)son/UGA on Saturday at noon instead of that plum Monday night spot. Such a great slate of weekend games, only to end with (checks notes)....Boston College at FSU? Seems like a misplay.

I hate to tell Krazy but the Cubs ain’t jumping those deep waters, even though they have the pockets for it.

There is a small Mexican taqueria/“grocery store” that I frequent when I want the real deal. A few taco options and 2/3 things that I can’t pronounce are the only things on the poorly handwritten menu. They all get real quiet and give me the side-eye when I walk in. I’m fairly certain it is a front for money laundering but the carnita/asada tacos & fresh made guacamole make it worth the possible trip to jail.

Reactions: jayroon

Any recs?
El Charro, South Elkhorn Village (aka Ramsey’s on Harrodsburg shopping center). Was my and the lass’ frequent go-to before we got too bougie for the Southside.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Speaking of Soto, EDC and Boras, I'd like to know what percent of MLB players truly try to maximize earnings versus taking a pay cut to play for a team / in a city that they like.

Like if you're Soto, how much more (if any) would playing for the Yankees be worth compared to playing for the Mets. Suppose the Yankees offer you 10 years, $600M. Would you go to the Mets for $700M? $650M?

The original location in Lansdowne is still one of the best in town, and much better than it's little bro. Not even close.

Speaking of Soto, EDC and Boras, I'd like to know what percent of MLB players truly try to maximize earnings versus taking a pay cut to play for a team / in a city that they like.

Like if you're Soto, how much more (if any) would playing for the Yankees be worth compared to playing for the Mets. Suppose the Yankees offer you 10 years, $600M. Would you go to the Mets for $700M? $650M?

I’m fairly certain that is frowned upon by the Players Association. I seem to remember a prominent, but aging Vet, wanting to take the league minimum to come back to the Cubs for one last year and it was rejected. Could have been Maddux, I can’t remember.

Anyway, that’s the only way in their eyes to keep driving up the values. God forbid someone take quite a bit less to play for a certain team that then gives teams that bargaining chip.

Have they opened back up? They were shut down by the health department last week for not refrigerating food properly, including leftovers from the previous day 🤮
Marcos needs to get it together. 😬 Euclid quality has also dropped off exponentially, and that used to be our go-to. Think he has stretched himself too thin.

Reactions: 80 Proof
My Mexican rundown (I speak from a position of authority)

• TexMex, Rancho Tapitio
  • Authentic, Taquiera Ramirez
  • Fast Food, Papi's Rapido
  • Food Truck, the one at the BP on Richmond Rd or at the car wash on S Broadway
  • Throwback, Landsdowne Hacienda
  • Grocery, Auguascalientas on Southland (their gringo store)
  • Buffet, Maria's Kitchen

What was the name of that spot downtown, corner of Upper and Broadway maybe? Possibly Tonio’s. That was a fine Mexican establishment.
Upper and Broadway run parallel and don't cross. Are you thinking of the old Ellos spot that was on Broadway near Maxwell?

Upper and Broadway run parallel and don't cross. Are you thinking of the old Ellos spot that was on Broadway near Maxwell?
Yeah I know that. I meant Upper and Main. I just remember it being right on the corner. I also don’t remember them giving out salsa and chips. I’m not sure the Health Department ever stepped foot in the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT