ADVERTISEMENT

Was it this insane before the Cal hire?

Yes it was crazy. Remember being on pins and needles watching TV and computer screens for the latest update. Cal was the right man at the time. It will always be crazy times when the Kentucky seat is open. Remember being in a frenzy back in '07 too hoping Billy Donovan would take the job.

The Tubby exit was crazy too.

Donovan “Done Deal” will live in infamy.
Yeah, I think that was the one where posters had their real estate and airport spies reporting for a fact that Billy D and his family had already arrived and were shopping for their new Lexington home. Fun times.

I assume you weren’t a part of watching a door.
Yes it was. A lot of fans didn't want him, others wanted to go that route. A little like pearl!
I think he would be a great fit from understanding the Passion, energy, enthusiasm of the fans!
But there also are 5-6 other candidates that are sound coaches. Now someone smarter then me needs to figure out which is the right one!

Reactions: WildcatNC
Which coaches did the UK offer before Calipari around 15 years ago? I'm also curious about any rumors surrounding those offers, as well as the coaching records of those individuals over the past 15 years.

A little blast from the past:

March 20, 2009: Monday Morning: The Search Goes On for the Next Great Kentucky Men's Basketball Coach

March 28. 2009: The Coach's Response and Looking Forward

Glenn Logan said:
Everybody has put forth the list of usual suspects, so I will also just in case anybody hasn't seen them:

Tier I​

Billy Donovan of Florida
Rick Pitino of Louisville
Tom Izzo of Michigan State
John Calipari of Memphis
Rick Barnes of Texas
Thad Matta of Ohio State
Jay Wright of Villanova (hat tip: tenken)​

Tier II
Jamie Dixon of Pittsburgh
Sean Miller of Xavier
Jeff Capel of Oklahoma
Mike Anderson of Missouri

Tier III
Travis Ford of Oklahoma State
John Pelphrey of Arkansas
Darrin Horn of South Carolina

Others I think should be considered for Tier I or II:
Rick Stansbury, Mississippi State
Reggie Theus, formerly of the Sacramento Kings
Eddie Jordan, formerly of the Washington Wizards

Reactions: WildcatNC
Pitino to Tubby was not real bad. Social medial was just starting, as AOL message boards where the main form of fans talking.

Tubby to BCG It had started to ramp up. Social media was established, but the amount of "insiders" where small. While Tubby declined in the later years, I don't think the hate was as bad as it is now.

BCG to Cal. Social media is well established. Ton more online journalism, Twitter and other forms of communication. We had the door watch, plane tracking and so forth. Also people where pissed at BCG as it was our first taste of being really really bad in a long time, but it was only a couple years and administration took quick action. Think the fan base was 95% or more on moving on.

Cal to.... Social media is out of control. The monster that Cal made ate not only him, but the sanity of most of our fans. Expectations and inflated egos, and revisionist memories cloud the vocal minoritys veiws. We have never had the homerun hire, it's always been a solid/good coach with potential, that you hope with Kentuckys resources and history, can propel a coach to the next level. Some dumb administration mistakes made this ride worse, fear of losing Cal when he still had some shine left, led to an over reaction from our AD that placed all the leverage in our coach's hand.

Hopefully, Kentucky can learn from this, and not make the same dumb administration mistakes, and to always leave the program a out. I don't think we will make the Homerun hire. Hopfully we can find the good basketball coach, that has the personality and moxie that the job demands, and then surround him with people that compliment his defeciances.

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

I haven't been here in so long, but the Tubby exit, the BCG hiring/firing(still remember Patrick Patterson being the first recruit I watched very closely), the Cal hiring(his recruiting was easy to follow, pretty much got anyone he wanted) and the epic battles between Matt Jones and this other guy call Marc Maggard. This board was a hot mess and we loved it. To say UK fans like drama would be an understatement. This place was like the Jerry Springer Show. Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT