ADVERTISEMENT

Cal just perfectly illustrated his real problem . . .

Soupbean

Senior
Jan 19, 2007
He just spent another hour (like every other one before) spewing nothing but bromides and catch phrases and generalizations like ", . . . "we didnt stay connected" ,. . . "they have to feel empowered", . . . "we have to meet a standard" and on and on an on!

He could talk for 12 hours and nothing that comes out of his mouth could ever be put on one of these!

Stop all the talking coach and just COACH. Coach all the boring, nerdy, bennie X and O's of basketball. If you just spent more time doing nothing but that instead of all the other BS - man what a difference it would make. You can keep everything else the same. Keep recruiting just like your doing, keep working the transfer portal just like your doing, keep loving and hugging on your players just like your doing . . . but for God's sake COACH the game!!!!!!!!!

or nothing is going to change.

He just spent another hour (like every other one before) spewing nothing but bromides and catch phrases and generalizations like ", . . . "we didnt stay connected" ,. . . "they have to feel empowered", . . . "we have to meet a standard" and on and on an on!

He could talk for 12 hours and nothing that comes out of his mouth could ever be put on one of these!

Stop all the talking coach and just COACH. Coach all the boring, nerdy, bennie X and O's of basketball. If you just spent more time doing nothing but that instead of all the other BS - man what a difference it would make. You can keep everything else the same. Keep recruiting just like your doing, keep working the transfer portal just like your doing, keep loving and hugging on your players just like your doing . . . but for God's sake COACH the game!!!!!!!!!

Coach? Those days are long gone.

At this very moment, my biggest problem with Calipari is that he’s a totally unaware egomaniac who either a) answers to no one but himself or b) answers to a sackless top-buttoned polo just keeping a chair warm in the athletic department. It’s one of the two. Neither are acceptable. Who holds him accountable? Who sets exactly what his measures of success are?

0iChELh.jpeg

He could have said I’m a bozo for not starting the two best players on the team and not playing them with Reeves as much as fouls would permit .
That I promised Wagner and Edwards they would start and put their NBA interest over the interest of winning for the team and fans .
At least then I would know he was being honest and dealing in reality .

I frankly wonder if he’s got a touch of dementia. He is either in denial of the situation or not dealing with reality.

Leach asked him if he could tell them what strategy he had to attack the oakland zone, his answer was something like “well, we wanted to shoot 18 3’s, we wanted to get 20 shots inside” Is that an answer to how to attack a zone? Does he even have a clue? 🤔
Instead of answering the question that he was asked which he has no answers for, he simply mumbled out answers to a question that he which he was asked. This guy isn't capable of changing even if he wanted to. Those of you who think this guy can change, you are delusional.

Last edited:
It would go a long way with me if he would simply say the following:
- I let the team down
- I let the fan base down
- I didn’t prepare properly
- I didn’t play the right rotations enough
- I will make changes asap
I would take just one of those points and be more understanding. This dude apologizes for nothing because he thinks he’s beyound that.

Hey Coach! UK Basketball was here before you and will withstand it in spite of you!

No wonder Kenny Payne was useless at UofL. He talked the same way but never even learned how to run a practice. We need to be tougher! These kids don’t listen. We have to play as one!

At this very moment, my biggest problem with Calipari is that he’s a totally unaware egomaniac who either a) answers to no one but himself or b) answers to a sackless top-buttoned polo just keeping a chair warm in the athletic department. It’s one of the two. Neither are acceptable. Who holds him accountable? Who sets exactly what his measures of success are?
It’s obvious the dude has no boss. These results wouldn’t be acceptable to any real boss.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
- I let the team down
That’s the issue, he will never say anything remotely close. He will always throw the players under the bus, and talk in circles about things that don’t matter.

He could have said I’m a bozo for not starting the two best players on the team and not playing them with Reeves as much as fouls would permit .
That I promised Wagner and Edwards they would start and put their NBA interest over the interest of winning for the team and fans .

I frankly wonder if he’s got a touch of dementia. He is either in denial of the situation or not dealing with reality.
He didn’t want them to go into the tank by benching them. Because wasting Wins and losing games was totally worth seeing them go 0-fer and miss a wide open layups and dunks in the most important games of the year. We played better when Burks got minutes I know that much.

No wonder Kenny Payne was useless at UofL. He talked the same way but never even learned how to run a practice. We need to be tougher! These kids don’t listen. We have to play as one!
Right and Kenny and Cal are right they do need to be tougher, gring harder etc. But what if they are trying to but just not built for that style? Thats where you as a coach step in and say here's what we're going to do to help you. Scheme this, adjust that, teach this technique to help with this or that. If they arent good on the ball defenders then play some matchup zone. If one guy is killing us run a trap at him.

But teach and coach and make a difference yourself Cal and Kenny. Cal can say all he wants about his former teams and how much better they were defensively but I can tell you right now we have NEVER been able to guard the ball even with the most physical and athletic teams he's had. We got by because we had generational rim protectors back there all those years.

He doesnt teach good defensive technique and discipline. We are 100000% committed to the man to man but it looks like we just learned the defense. We dont get down in a stance, we dont use our hand to connect and keep connected and remove space from dribblers. None of our guys look the same out there trying to do it.

Leach asked him if he could tell them what strategy he had to attack the oakland zone, his answer was something like “well, we wanted to shoot 18 3’s, we wanted to get 20 shots inside” Is that an answer to how to attack a zone? Does he even have a clue? 🤔
A nine year old will tell you, you attack a zone from the inside out by collapsing it and then creating pressure from the lane or kicking out for open looks after the zone collapses. Cal actually tried that some but never put the right guys int he middle. He put DJ there!!!!

- I let the team down
Here is what will likely happen instead:

- I put a lot of players in the NBA
-They will make billions of dollar
- I leveraged a few good years into a lifetime contract that made me insanely wealthy
- I have HOF status and that makes me bigger than the UK program
- I will continue to count my money and turn a deaf ear to the whiney fans who know nothing about basketball

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Cal:

“Kentucky isn’t for everyone”.

“We can’t hide you”

“Earned, not given”

“The gold standard”

These are phrases you used over and over about players. Now it’s time to man up and look in the
Mirror. Say them to yourself

“I’m not letting another player hold me hostage.” - Cal

Well it happened this year. AGAIN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT