ADVERTISEMENT

Warning: Oscar picks UK football Ws and Ls

There are eight reasons why UK will lose to UT -- and they all wear striped shirts and carry whistles. SEC refs believe to a man that UK can only make a good, positive yardage football play if they break the rules. Meanwhile they ignore UT's facemasking, horsecollars, pass interference, holding, and multiple cheap shots.

ha ha

I'm reserving my best guess till after second scrimmage of fall practice.
On paper heading into fall camp I really like our o. line, Benny, Stephen, and back seven on defense!

Reactions: Tcat_2
I am really going to be watching how the D Coordinator swap works out this year!
IMO UL defense has a big question mark on it. No doubt they will be good offensively,but on defense they lost there best 2 dlineman and 3 or 4 linebackers! Brown has been a anchor for them for 2-3 years!
They have turned out some very good dlineman the last few years,so for me can they continue that?
New scheme new coach and new faces can change things drastically.
So will it be good or bad!
P.S. There starting lineup has a lot of SR who might be about the same level as last year. Its the depth where i see a big dropoff.

Last edited:
My picks:

USM - W
EKU - W
S. Carolina - L
Florida - L
E. Mich - W
Missouri - W
Miss. St. -L
UT - L
U Miss - W
VU - L
Ga - L
UL - L

I guess i can't see UK so winning 6 games right now.

Lucky to win 7 last season.

Fluke w against UL
Lucky to beat Mst last season.
USC is going to be much better
When was last time UK beat FL?
UT has owned UK.
Playing Vandy on the road, tough game.
Uga on the road, when last time UK won in Athens?

I HOPE THEY GO 15-0 AND BE ROOTING THE WHOLE WAY. BEEN big blue fan a long time, and had my dreams shattered too many times. I know I am not the only one with tempered expectations. Go out and beat UT and Fl and u will see a big shift in peoples expectations .[/QUOTE]

For your comments on last season:

1. We were not lucky to beat UL. We were very competitive the entire game. People also forget that we were driving in UL territory with around 5-6 minutes remaining when Snell fumbled. So, yes, we were lucky that Lamar fumbled at end, but we had a fumble of our own prior to that. Also, we were able to drive from the ten yard line into UL territory for the winning FG. That win was not a fluke.

2. The MSU game was also not a fluke. We were in control most of the game. It's true that we choked away a good lead, but we then drove into MSU territory for the winning FG. A little lucky, but we deserved to win.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
But....in my 50 years of following Ky Football, I've seen bad things happen to other teams only to see something like them playing their second qb and watching the guy have a Heisman trophy caliber day. Other teams' misfortunes have often come back to haunt US. It would not surprise me to see Ole Miss players to be motivated by their situation, take an "us against the world" attitude and have a good season.

I totally understand your thinking, I've seen it too. But, I think they'd be more likely to be "fired up" if this were a september game. I think they'll be beaten down and ready to get the season over with by the time November rolls around.

My picks:

Fluke w against UL
I guess I have a completely different way of looking at it. Football games usually boil down to controlling the line of scrimmage, taking care of the football, and making key possessions count. In games UK won last year, we accomplished those things. You call it luck. I call it understanding how to win. Over the years, how many times has our football team lost winnable games when we were in a position to win? I would say losing winnable games became a theme for much of the 1990s. But things have changed around here. Stoops has recruited better players, done a better job of developing his players. Stoops and Gran are putting our team in positions to win football games, and our players are responding. You call the win over UL a fluke? Why? Because Lamar fumbled? That's on Lamar, but mistakes happen in football. We won that game by outplaying UL in their own house. It was a tough game and we won it. If we play like that more consistently, we will win at least 7-8 games this fall.

I don't think the record is out of line, I just find it interesting you are predicting a win against UF and a loss against Vandy. OM is looking to be a bad train wreck now with all that has happened over there this week, so a tough game turned into a much easier one.
Remember when UK beat LSU in 07 and lost to Mississippi State

Tennessee lost alot but has also been recruiting well. We need to punch them in the damn mouth and ram their teeth down their throat. Tired of the inexplicable performances against those losers.

Fluke w against UL
USC is going to be much better
When was last time UK beat FL?
UT has owned UK.
Playing Vandy on the road, tough game.
Uga on the road, when last time UK won in Athens?

I HOPE THEY GO 15-0 AND BE ROOTING THE WHOLE WAY. BEEN big blue fan a long time, and had my dreams shattered too many times. I know I am not the only one with tempered expectations. Go out and beat UT and Fl and u will see a big shift in peoples expectations .

To say our win against UL was a fluke is ignorant. It doesn't matter how you get there it just matters that you do. The players played their hearts out and walked away winners. It's a rivalry game and I trust our coaches and players to be ready. After winning last year they will have a confidence knowing that they can beat UL and we are much more talented and even more experienced.

Actually I believe the last time we beat UGA was 2009 in Athens. We typically play UGA tough and last year the game could have went either way. Had Badet not dropped a potential TD into UGA's DB's hands the game would have probably ended up differently.

Yes USC will be better but so shall we. The mast majority of our team returns which means more game experience and add in the redshirt freshman and true freshman and we will have more talent and depth than last year. Also another year in Gran's offense and hopefully a much improved Johnson.

The game against Miss St. last year was another hard fought win on a last second FG. Fitzgerald is a good QB and can run the ball down a defenses throat if needed. Hopefully we finally have figured out how to stop a QB run. But if our own QB fixes his biggest flaw in fumblitis. This could be a very good game that comes down to the wire. Remember not only did Johnson have 2 fumbles but he lost both. For him to catch his composure and lead his team to a 21 point 3rd quarter and last second FG to win is damn good in my mind.

Florida and Tennessee are the 2 games that get me. It's like they have dominated us so long that the team goes in thinking they have been beat before stepping on to the field. This year we could beat 1 of them with the slim possibility of beating both. Other than last season we have been playing UF particularly well and should have won a few season ago had it not been for and officials mistake. UF still are down a little and we have an OLINE that may be able to protect the QB enough and open up enough lanes for Snell & company to control the clock.

Now UT is the one I see happening this season. They lost a wildcat killer Dobbs while also losing there best player on all levels of the defense. Replacing Barnett, Sutton and Reeves-Maybin is going to be hard but Botch Jones has recruited well enough it shouldn't be too hard. But it would be like us trying to replace Jordan Jones, Derrick Baity and Bud Dupree(using him as example because we don't have the top of the line DE right now). So we do have a chance.

Vandy showed significant improvement after changing QBs. They scare me some especially on the road. I think we squeak out a win but it won't be as easy as some think. We should be able to handle Missouri this year but they should be improved and they always seemed to find Dlinemen that can wreck havoc and change the outcome of games. USM embarrassed us last year. They lost their QB an our guys should be ready for revenge and have a huge chip on their shoulders.

Ole Miss has the potential to be a very good team. They could also flop very badly. They play Alabama, Auburn, Vandy, LSU and, Arkansas all in a row in front of us with their bye coming before Bama. That's a really rough stretch of games the could be really beat up. We have our bye then Miss St. and UT before.

This season we have the chance at seeing something really special out of this team. Every game on the schedule is a winnable game at the same time every game is also a loseable game.

From the picture they have hanging showing Kentucky to the playoffs I think it's safe to say this team believes in their selves and each other. They think and know they can play and beat anyone. Now they just have to go out and do it. I know history isn't on our side but to basically write off these young mean and what they accomplished last year isn't being that great of a fan.
[/QUOTE]

In response to Howercat:

UK actually won in Athens in 2009 so don't act like it was that long ago.

Actually one of his more intelligent posts, although he seems to repeat it a lot. I also liked it because it was very short, didn't waste a lot of time, sometimes he gets really profound and says: "ha ha ha".
They're a women's basketball school anyway

Reactions: jauk11
The win against ul was a surprise but not a fluke especially if you consider the previous two games between the teams. Last year's win may have involved some luck, but like pappy always said.."Luck is when preparation meets opportunity". Our guys had the opportunity to capitalize on mistakes and did.

The TRUTH of the last three games vs. ul is this: The previous two games involved LUCK for ul to beat us. The first year came down to dropped passes/interceptions not made by our guys that gave ul a win...But give ul credit, they capitalized. The next year at our place, we were controlling them to the extent of what I believe was a 21-0 lead. Recall, our two leading running backs got injured. After that, our offense was nothing more than anemic and our defense was worse. Again, ul has to be credited with capitalizing on our misfortunes.

Actually one of his more intelligent posts, although he seems to repeat it a lot. I also liked it because it was very short, didn't waste a lot of time, sometimes he gets really profound and says: "ha ha ha".

You two brother and sister?

I guess I have a completely different way of looking at it. Football games usually boil down to controlling the line of scrimmage, taking care of the football, and making key possessions count. In games UK won last year, we accomplished those things. You call it luck. I call it understanding how to win. Over the years, how many times has our football team lost winnable games when we were in a position to win? I would say losing winnable games became a theme for much of the 1990s. But things have changed around here. Stoops has recruited better players, done a better job of developing his players. Stoops and Gran are putting our team in positions to win football games, and our players are responding. You call the win over UL a fluke? Why? Because Lamar fumbled? That's on Lamar, but mistakes happen in football. We won that game by outplaying UL in their own house. It was a tough game and we won it. If we play like that more consistently, we will win at least 7-8 games this fall.

Agree... Ky went @ 60 yards in a minute to kick a field goal to win.
To say lamar fumble and cost the game is crazy.. Ky should have had a bigger lead as well.. They missed on opportunitys as well.. Ul just could not contain our offense which is why they lost!

If memory serves right we had several key guys out with injurys.
Thats the difference i see between that team and this team!
I dont ever remember being this deep on the oline. Or having quality WR LB safetys an CB coming of the bench.
We need our dline to step up and things will get interesting!

You guys haven't been relevant in the SEC EAST? In how long!?..I'll be the first to admit UK has never been....you guys are so middle of the pack now....lol
Historically, they're significance in college football has been overinflated.

Yeah, I remember it well.

The game where most of our fans thought we should win easily, and they "upset" us in large part due to a surprise long TD pass.

Another game where our coaches didn't have the talent or depth needed to give a good account of themselves, thanks to the lousy support from above. The game where UK had ONE four star on our great offense, ZERO 5.7s, ONE 5.6, two 5.5s, and the OL averaged BELOW a hard to believe 5.2. And while we did have TWO four stars on D both were from Kentucky.

Meanwhile that lousy MSU team had over 20 four star commits the previous four years-------ALL from the state of Mississippi.

And yeah, we still should have beat them, great job by Brooks and crew in finding underrated talent and coaching them up.

Reactions: Owen68

The game where most of our fans thought we should win easily, and they "upset" us in large part due to a surprise long TD pass.

Another game where our coaches didn't have the talent or depth needed to give a good account of themselves, thanks to the lousy support from above. The game where UK had ONE four star on our great offense, ZERO 5.7s, ONE 5.6, two 5.5s, and the OL averaged BELOW a hard to believe 5.2. And while we did have TWO four stars on D both were from Kentucky.

Meanwhile that lousy MSU team had over 20 four star commits the previous four years-------ALL from the state of Mississippi.

And yeah, we still should have beat them, great job by Brooks and crew in finding underrated talent and coaching them up.
To be fair we were pretty beat up by that time and MSU was physical on D as usual

Reactions: Bryo72
Oscar Combs‏@wildcatnews 22m22 minutes ago
So you wanna know?
USM - W
EKU - W
S. Carolina - L
Florida - L
E. Mich - W
Missouri - W
Miss. St. -W
UT - W
U Miss - W
VU - W
Ga - L
UL - L

I may be nuts, but I think that is a very favorable schedule. Don't think anyone but Georgia and Louisville are anything special. South Carolina has big question marks, but it is on the road so that's always iffy. I think Florida is gonna struggle quite a bit. Lost a ton off that defense, all of Muschamps defensive guys are gone, and they just lost a starting safety for the year with an achilles. I think this is the year we beat them for sure.

Don't think UT will be any better than last year, if so, marginally but we have them at home. Think Miss St and Ole Miss both are worse than last year. Not sure about Vandy.

Obviously, we will have some close games, and could lose several, but I can't say that I think anyone before Georgia is better than us. And I could actually see us getting the ball rolling and being like 6-0 and teams can get a lot of confidence doing something like that. Do that and I think it's legitimately possible we could be undefeated going into Georgia.

Realistically I think 8 wins in very very likely. If I was predicting it I would say 9-3 is our finish. But like I said, I may be nuts, but I think they might do something very special this year.

Reactions: Bryo72 and RV2

Regardless of "star" rated talent which means nothing once they hit the field, UK was just flat from the get go in that game. That UK team was fun to watch but shows you that you have to show up every game or every half like the Southern Mississippi game last year

Reactions: Wvvrn
Zebras are against you is the reason you have lost to us

jauk is right for once

ha ha ha
Honestly I don't know why we are even loading our loser team up to go play the mighty wildcats. Heck we havnt got a guaterback,runningback,linebacker, or a defensive end to take. Plus between grumpy old puppy an jackoff11 telling the truth on here ,all our players feelings will be hurt! I say let's just forfeit this beatdown. Keep em in knoxville to sack all the orange pride chick's all night to make ourself feel like winners! Say?

Regardless of "star" rated talent which means nothing once they hit the field, UK was just flat from the get go in that game. That UK team was fun to watch but shows you that you have to show up every game or every half like the Southern Mississippi game last year

So, you wouldn't mind playing Bama for the next four years, that just brought in a class with SEVEN five stars and another NINETEEN four stars--------that AVERAGED a 5.950 on Rivals Richter scale------plus three more for a tryout. Just find some under rated three stars, coach them up, and go out there and beat them. That is what Brooks and Joker were forced to try to do, except their stars were usually two stars, and while Brooks did a respectable job of it things caught up with Joker.

Honestly I don't know why we are even loading our loser team up to go play the mighty wildcats. Heck we havnt got a guaterback,runningback,linebacker, or a defensive end to take. Plus between grumpy old puppy an jackoff11 telling the truth on here ,all our players feelings will be hurt! I say let's just forfeit this beatdown. Keep em in knoxville to sack all the orange pride chick's all night to make ourself feel like winners! Say?

Good idea, why don't you just keep your cheaters home, and think of the money you would save to use for the "Orange Pride" recruiting trips. Oh, I forgot, the NCAA disbanded them------but that is only officially I'm sure.

Come to think of it, why don't you go home too, you are getting pretty obnoxious, and you don't add a bit of football intelligence like Grumpy does.

And you will still be "Winners in life" or whatever the stupid phrase was.

Reactions: Bryo72
Good idea, why don't you just keep your cheaters home, and think of the money you would save to use for the "Orange Pride" recruiting trips. Oh, I forgot, the NCAA disbanded them------but that is only officially I'm sure.

Come to think of it, why don't you go home too, you are getting pretty obnoxious, and you don't add a bit of football intelligence like Grumpy does.

Jauk the orange crush is worried this yr

We didn't have a quarterback either..so we beat you with a WR.

Reactions: Bryo72 and jauk11

You question my intelligence?
You have spewed the same garbage about UT for years in. So much you now believe yourself to be true. You know nothing about the vols. I get it on a cat board but these guys get tired of seeing your same ol act I'm sure. Grumpy is simply looking at the stat sheet. He sees we lost most of our production . I understand his thinking. And we may suck. But we have talented players replacing that production. We actually return our leading rusher in Kelly. We also return several linebackers that didn't play last year along with several D linemen. I look at it as an oportunity to get better when replacing players. Sometimes it will be worse yes. When you return many players from the previous year ,chances are you will be about the same with more expectations .
I'm sorry if your offended. I come here in peace but reading that same thing over and over gets obnoxious or whatever you call it!
I will leave but will return after the cats drill us this year! Peace

You have spewed the same garbage about UT for years in. So much you now believe yourself to be true. You know nothing about the vols. I get it on a cat board but these guys get tired of seeing your same ol act I'm sure. Grumpy is simply looking at the stat sheet. He sees we lost most of our production . I understand his thinking. And we may suck. But we have talented players replacing that production. We actually return our leading rusher in Kelly. We also return several linebackers that didn't play last year along with several D linemen. I look at it as an oportunity to get better when replacing players. Sometimes it will be worse yes. When you return many players from the previous year ,chances are you will be about the same with more expectations .
I'm sorry if your offended. I come here in peace but reading that same thing over and over gets obnoxious or whatever you call it!
Yes we do

Reactions: jauk11
You guys haven't been sh*t since manning and fp

Whether it be football or men's bball...so inconsistent...I give the late Pat Summitt credit she had credibility...and one helluva of a coach

No we've never been a consistent fb power in the SEC....but the program is getting there. Your program is declining...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT