ADVERTISEMENT

Sat. at High Noon in Oxford v Ole Miss is the biggest reg. season gm. in UK football history

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018

I have done the research, and though 9 reg.. season games come close this is the biggest esp. if UK wins:

Here are the games that contend:

Keep in mind UK is currently 4-0, UK being undefeated is a criteria that knocks out several other games for being in consideration for the biggest ie v #1 LSU in 2007 because UK had a loss coming into the gm.

2007 (8) UK at (11) South Carolina …..L
1977 Unranked UK at (4) Penn St……W
1964 UR UK at (1) Ole Miss…….W
1964 (7) AU at UR UK…. W
1951 (6) UK at (11) Tx…..L
1951 (1) UT at (9) UK…….L
1950 (17) UF at (5) UK…..W
1950 (3) UK at (9) UT……L
1949 (7) UK at (17) SMU……L
In the 4 gms. UK won at least 1 of the teams was not as highly rated as the two this Sat. (7) v (14).
In the 5 Ls only the 1951 gm (6) v (11) and the 1950 game (3) v (9) were both teams higher ranked than Sat.
Thus, if UK wins Sat. it instantly becomes the biggest reg. season gm in UK history because we would have a shot at cracking the top 5 for the 1st time in 58 yrs (circa 1964)! And we would stay alive for the SEC East, the SEC overall and the National Title!

Its easily the biggest UK football game in 70 yrs. The only 2 contests where both teams were ranked higher in the AP were:
1950 (3) UK at (9) UT which was an L.
1951 (6) UK at (11) TX which was an L.
So you can see that:
2022 (7) UK at (14) Ole Miss, if UK wins it could become the biggest reg season game in UK history based on the potential success it could bring amongst the 2 high rankings!

Last edited:
I don't know if it is the biggest regular season game in UK FB history, but it is a winnable game that we must win if we want to take the next step toward SEC East contention and maybe a berth in the SECC.....heightened respect from the CFB world

Conversely, lose and it is "Same ole UK....nice story.... good coach......respectable P5 program." ....but nothing more.

I am hoping C-Rod plus incremental improvement from the OL can give us some offensive balance on the ground, make play-action a true threat, reduce the blitz calls, give QB more time, etc, etc, etc.

GBB!

Last edited:

I have done the research, and though 9 reg. season games come close this is the biggest esp. if UK wins.
It is huge, that's absolutely true. If we win this we're likely 7-0 going to EweT, and coming off a bye. Just 2 weeks prior, EweT will have faced Bama with whatever dings and bruises that imparts.

We'd likely be top 5 at that point with the even bigger game against EweT set up about as well as it could be.

What a strange feeling to be the masters of our own destiny for once. LFG

It is huge, that's absolutely true. If we win this we're likely 7-0 going to EweT, and coming off a bye. Just 2 weeks prior, EweT will have faced Bama with whatever dings and bruises that imparts.

We'd likely be top 5 at that point with the even bigger game against EweT set up about as well as it could be.

Ewe T also plays LSU before us they have the talent in db’s to beat them

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Def not the biggest game in regular season history. That would be when we faced Georgia for a SEC title berth in 2018.

That Georgia game was easily a bigger one, #6 vs #11 UK too. Also, in 2007, the Florida game was bigger than the South Carolina game as Florida was coming here after the game against LSU. That was #8 UK vs #14 UF. Win this one and the subsequent games against UT and UGA would be massive.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

Gotta stomp Ole Miss. No excuses for a sloppy game.

Defense needs to not give up an opening scoring drive. Offense needs to come out crisp. OLine needs ti get pissed off at the crap being talked about them and shut everybody up.

Def not the biggest game in regular season history. That would be when we faced Georgia for a SEC title berth in 2018.
My Lord we had an SEC loss and were ranked #11.
In this game we are 4-0 (1-0 SEC) and are ranked #7 (UKs highest ranking in AP in 45 yrs (circa 1977).
SMH

Last edited:
Gotta stomp Ole Miss. No excuses for a sloppy game.

Defense needs to not give up an opening scoring drive. Offense needs to come out crisp. OLine needs ti get pissed off at the crap being talked about them and shut everybody up.

We aren't gonna stomp ole miss on the road. As I said in another thread. Take the 1 point win and run with it. This is the SEC and there are a lot of good teams.

I love how every game seems to be the biggest game in UK history. People were saying that about Florida.
Not me. It takes UK being 4-0 and 1-0 in the SEC and being ranked as high as they have been ranked in the AP in 45 yrs and playing an undefeated top 14 team to perk my interests.

No we absolutely were not as we had to go to UT after the home game v UGA and lost that one too!

WITH A WIN AT OLE MISS WE COULD ULTIMATELY PLAY FOR A NATIONAL TITLE.
You're wrong about 2018. If we would have beat UGA, we would have both finished the SEC season 6-2. The UT game would not have mattered at that point because we would have been 6-1 in conference at that point and UGA would have been 5-2 at that point. We would have won the tie breaker with head-to-head and played in Atlanta even with a loss to UT. We were playing in Lexington to win the SEC east.

You're wrong about 2018. If we would have beat UGA, we would have both finished the SEC season 6-2. The UT game would not have mattered at that point because we would have been 6-1 in conference at that point and UGA would have been 5-2 at that point. We would have won the tie breaker with head-to-head and played in Atlanta even with a loss to UT. We were playing in Lexington to win the SEC east.
Ok thats fine. But I still say this game is bigger coming up based on the fact that if we win we would be 5-0 and pushing the top 5 with a shot at the FF. That doesn't happen in 2018 with the lose to UT and may not with our 1st SEC loss to Texas AM. Its a descent argument but the L to Texas AM and where UK stands now with their record and ranking gives my argument a slight victory imho.

Last edited:
2 questions:

1) why does 1 loss automatically take certain games out of the equation here? You can still get into the playoff with 1 loss. This makes no sense. If you have 1 loss, but are still ranked very high, you can still be in a massively important game.

2) winning on the road in college ball is hard. Winning on the road against ranked teams is ridiculously hard. How many teams could legit go into Oxford and beat a ranked Ole Miss? Bama, UGA, Ohio State, yeah, definitely, but who else? Michigan looked like ass at home against Maryland. Oklahoma lost to Kansas state. So who, beyond the top 3, could definitely go in there and get a win?

If UK loses this game, that shouldn't mean "same ole, same ole UK" I guess it depends on how they lose the game, but when we can only name 3 teams that can legitimately be counted on to win this game, UK shouldn't get shit on if they lose.

2 questions:

1) why does 1 loss automatically take certain games out of the equation here? You can still get into the playoff with 1 loss. This makes no sense. If you have 1 loss, but are still ranked very high, you can still be in a massively important game.

2) winning on the road in college ball is hard. Winning on the road against ranked teams is ridiculously hard. How many teams could legit go into Oxford and beat a ranked Ole Miss? Bama, UGA, Ohio State, yeah, definitely, but who else? Michigan looked like ass at home against Maryland. Oklahoma lost to Kansas state. So who, beyond the top 3, could definitely go in there and get a win?

If UK loses this game, that shouldn't mean "same ole, same ole UK" I guess it depends on how they lose the game, but when we can only name 3 teams that can legitimately be counted on to win this game, UK shouldn't get shit on if they lose.
Depends. If we lost badly? Yeah that’s not a good look. We get beat by a couple of scores? Is what it is. Just show up, play your ass off, and let the chips fall.

we just can’t have a slow start like last week or give up an opening drive TD. That’s gives the home team too much mo.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1
Ok thats fine. But I still say this game is bigger coming up based on the fact that if we win we would be 5-0 and pushing the top 5 with a shot at the FF. That doesn't happen in 2018 with the lose to UT and may not with our 1st SEC loss to Texas AM. Its a descent argument but the L to Texas AM and where UK stands now with their record and ranking gives my argument a slight victory imho.
If we had beat Georgia we may not have lost to Tennessee. The team knew there was a trip to the SEC Title on the line. Georgia beat us twice in 2018. That was a bigger game. We had 1 close loss. We obviously didn’t have the team to compete with Georgia (and definitely not Alabama) but we were in the playoff picture when we lost to Georgia. Win that game, Tennessee, Louisville, and #1 Alabama and we would have been a 1 loss SEC champion going to the playoff. Just like if we lose Saturday, that doesn’t automatically eliminate us from the playoff (and I’m not saying we’re good enough to make the playoff even if we win Saturday, I’m just doing the math). It’s a big game that we need to win, but 2018 UGA was bigger. My hope is the 2022 UGA game will be bigger still.

'Cause if you lose your head and you give up, then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Three weeks ago the Florida game was “the biggest game in UKs history”. You don’t even have it listed now. Drama queen.
Drama Queen is right. Along with troll. Nobody can be this dense without trying. Go ahead HH, put me on ignore. It’s a privilege. Good grief.

Reactions: Kats meow
Depends. If we lost badly? Yeah that’s not a good look. We get beat by a couple of scores? Is what it is. Just show up, play your ass off, and let the chips fall.

we just can’t have a slow start like last week or give up an opening drive TD. That’s gives the home team too much mo.
It might be possible that this team just plays better on the road and against tough competition. Lets hope so.
They played much better at Florida than they did in any of the 3 home games.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Put your faith in the over. for UK to win they must score 28-32 points. Watching Ole Miss KS scores points which is a confidence kind of thino for his team. And if this is the biggest regular season game in UK history then UK has no history. IMHO the biggest game was under Curci when UK lost to Baylor. Win they go undefeated, loss and it’s 10-1. 10-1

espn gameday should have been there.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

The Tennessee game right now is the biggest game of the season bar none. Some think Winning the east is the next step. I think it’s beating uf and ut in the same season. I think ole miss is a huge game don’t get me wrong but as a fan I am looking forward to that UT game. I haven’t seen ole miss play this year but I feel like we have superior talent.

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
It's hardly the biggest game in UK history but it is the biggest game of the season: until next week. That's how it is when you want to win an SEC title, every game becomes huge. I personally don't think this team is anywhere close to winning a title but until we lose every game is the super bowl

If Ole Miss is the biggest game UK has ever played, we should probably not chat about it on here, or anywhere for that matter.

Reactions: Kats meow
I love how every game seems to be the biggest game in UK history. People were saying that about Florida.
If we want to win the SEC East for the first time in History this year, every game actually is the biggest regular season game in UK history from a must win standpoint. but, like in 2018, we can afford to lose one game and still play UGA for the SEC East. That's assuming UGA wins out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT