ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner Dilly Edwards Bradshaw Oscar should be the starting 5

An interesting starting 5 would be
Wagner
Dillingham
Shepherd/Reeves/Transfer shooter
Edwards
Bradshaw

Young so there'd be some kinks, but that line up can switch most anything, space the floor, get to the rim, etc
I like this lineup but worry we'd get killed on the glass

It won't be 5 on 4, because people have been arguing with me all week that Oneynso is very good at hitting unguarded warm-up 15' jumpers in pre-game shoot-arounds.

Yes, it will absolutely be 5 on 4 when he's in there, much like Ware. But at least he should be able to protect the rim - we're assuming. I trust Coach O will teach him some skills between now and next season. Otherwise it will be messy. Bradshaw isn't going to be that "5" impacting SEC level games.
I think we'll have enough offensive playmaking that we won't need Ugonna to do much outside of catch lobs and easy dump offs from Wagner/Dilly drives, and get offensive boards. I think his ideal offensive role would be like Willie Cauley-Stein. If he can hit short jumpers and develop a bit of a post game that's great, but I don't think its necessary

It won't be 5 on 4, because people have been arguing with me all week that Oneynso is very good at hitting unguarded warm-up 15' jumpers in pre-game shoot-arounds.

Yes, it will absolutely be 5 on 4 when he's in there, much like Ware. But at least he should be able to protect the rim - we're assuming. I trust Coach O will teach him some skills between now and next season. Otherwise it will be messy. Bradshaw isn't going to be that "5" impacting SEC level games.
Give me Bradshaw at the 5, pulling the other teams big away from the basket as Dillingham, Wagner, and Edwards beat their man off the dribble and get to the rim or kick it out to Bradshaw or Sheppard/Reeves for the open three.

Cal, of course, will try to post up Onyenso and wonder why our guards keep turning it over trying to feed the post, all the time beating the “if you don’t have a post presence, you are a fraud” drum.

Modernize your game. Play a shot blocking mobile 5 man that can step out and knock down the 3 on kick outs and pick and pops and catch lobs on pick and roll.

His name is Bradshaw.

I think we'll have enough offensive playmaking that we won't need Ugonna to do much outside of catch lobs and easy dump offs from Wagner/Dilly drives, and get offensive boards. I think his ideal offensive role would be like Willie Cauley-Stein. If he can hit short jumpers and develop a bit of a post game that's great, but I don't think its necessary
I wish it was that easy. Notice all the teams with aircraft carrier centers are gone and were all ousted pretty early.

You can't play 4 on 5 these days. All 5 guys need to be able to score outside the paint to spread the court.

If Ugo plays, we will just have a poor mans Oscar down there and Cal will just force feed him the ball while everyone stands there and watches.

I like Ugo, I think he has value, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he left, because if he stays, we're going to play through the post instead of using the weapons this team has. Cal can't help himself, he has to have a 250lb big man and his go to move is for everyone to stand in place while one guy tries to feed the ball to a double teamed center with the paint clogged.

Give me Bradshaw at the 5, pulling the other teams big away from the basket as Dillingham, Wagner, and Edwards beat their man off the dribble and get to the rim or kick it out to Bradshaw or Sheppard/Reeves for the open three.

Cal, of course, will try to post up Onyenso and wonder why our guards keep turning it over trying to feed the post, all the time beating the “if you don’t have a post presence, you are a fraud” drum.

Modernize your game. Play a shot blocking mobile 5 man that can step out and knock down the 3 on kick outs and pick and pops and catch lobs on pick and roll.

His name is Bradshaw.
Could you imagine playing Bradshaw at the 5 and having the ability to play 5 out with Wagner, Edwards and Dillingham on the court? They would shred good teams all game long with that set up.

I wish it was that easy. Notice all the teams with aircraft carrier centers are gone and were all ousted pretty early.

You can't play 4 on 5 these days. All 5 guys need to be able to score outside the paint to spread the court.

If Ugo plays, we will just have a poor mans Oscar down there and Cal will just force feed him the ball while everyone stands there and watches.

I like Ugo, I think he has value, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he left, because if he stays, we're going to play through the post instead of using the weapons this team has. Cal can't help himself, he has to have a 250lb big man and his go to move is for everyone to stand in place while one guy tries to feed the ball to a double teamed center with the paint clogged.
Yeah I agree with all that. I still want Ugo back because I think he can be a valuable rotation piece and will give us a much needed shot blocker and lob threat. But I wouldn’t want him playing more than 15 min a game or so and ideally very infrequently with Bradshaw at the same time, unless Bradshaw can really expand his perimeter game even more.

Ideally we get a 4 in the portal that can be a bruiser and great interior defender and rebounder, but can also shoot (thinking of someone with a Grant Williams-like game) which would pair very well with Bradshaw at the 5. Livingston would have been perfect at the 4 but seems almost certain he won’t be back.

Oscar would be smart to come back. will make more $$ here. He will have a better shot at getting further in the tourney with the guys we have coming. Wheeler is gone. Livingston seems gone. Guessing Toppin is gone. CJ (not sure) but he would be buried on this roster.

Reactions: Big Cat fan
Yeah I agree with all that. I still want Ugo back because I think he can be a valuable rotation piece and will give us a much needed shot blocker and lob threat. But I wouldn’t want him playing more than 15 min a game or so and ideally very infrequently with Bradshaw at the same time, unless Bradshaw can really expand his perimeter game even more.

Ideally we get a 4 in the portal that can be a bruiser and great interior defender and rebounder, but can also shoot (thinking of someone with a Grant Williams-like game) which would pair very well with Bradshaw at the 5. Livingston would have been perfect at the 4 but seems almost certain he won’t be back.
I find it hard to believe that Ugo couldn't get 2mpg this season, but somehow he's going to be good enough to be our starting 5 man in 23/24? I don't know about that.

Thing is, when he's in the game, the entire dynamic of our team will change.

With Bradshaw in there with Wagner, Edwards, Dillingham and a good shooting 4 to be named later, we would be a legit contender, but as soon as he puts Ugo in, we become vulnerable.

Oscar is a great rebounder, but so many of his rebounds came after his own misses. He‘d bring it low every time, triple fake, miss, then rebound again and do it again. Probably not the offense we need going forward.

I find it hard to believe that Ugo couldn't get 2mpg this season, but somehow he's going to be good enough to be our starting 5 man in 23/24? I don't know about that.

Thing is, when he's in the game, the entire dynamic of our team will change.

With Bradshaw in there with Wagner, Edwards, Dillingham and a good shooting 4 to be named later, we would be a legit contender, but as soon as he puts Ugo in, we become vulnerable.
I think Ugo was always going to be a project, especially given he reclassified, and it wouldn't shock me to see him take a significant leap from year 1 to year 2. I'm not expecting him to be great but I do think he'll be a solid player and could be a weapon defensively

Ugonna and Ware will play lots of mins next season. The guards should be able to set them up nicely. If Ugo comes back or it's Collins and Ware.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
Oscar is a great rebounder, but so many of his rebounds came after his own misses. He‘d bring it low every time, triple fake, miss, then rebound again and do it again. Probably not the offense we need going forward.
Well and it seems to me that he's so dead set on getting rebounds that he was letting guards come in and get layups thinking they're going to miss and he's going to be there for the rebound.

It’s tough to protect the rim AND rebound simultaneously, he chooses rebounding most often.

I think Ugo was always going to be a project, especially given he reclassified, and it wouldn't shock me to see him take a significant leap from year 1 to year 2. I'm not expecting him to be great but I do think he'll be a solid player and could be a weapon defensively
Seems like our big man development left with Kenny Payne.
I shake my head at Lance Ware, I think he's regressed since he came to UK. He has no skills at all and is 50/50 on layups. It’s not like he's lazy either.

I have seen this movie too many times before. If Ugo is in the game, our offense is going back to the year 1985 and that is such a dumb thing to do with the guards we will have.

Ugonna and Ware will play lots of mins next season. The guards should be able to set them up nicely. If Ugo comes back or it's Collins and Ware.
If Ugonna, Ware and Collins play "lots of minutes" next year, then we're looking at 10+ losses, easy.

Oscar ain’t coming back and there isn’t any floor spacing in that lineup
You just like losing bro. See all those threads about why Oscar ain't here in December. Of course Cal will be blamed. But we can't replace him. You'll wonder why he left and what he can do with the freshmen. But right now you want no name guard play spacing where these transfer players can't get by a man or come off screens well and us shot 3-20 in games from 3. Plus Cals half court offense is bad as is. He's not gonna teach space or have what you guys call modern day offense.

You just like losing bro. See all those threads about why Oscar ain't here in December. Of course Cal will be blamed. But we can't replace him. You'll wonder why he left and what he can do with the freshmen. But right now you want no name guard play spacing where these transfer players can't get by a man or come off screens well and us shot 3-20 in games from 3. Plus Cals half court offense is bad as is. He's not gonna teach space or have what you guys call modern day offense.
I never said I don’t want Oscar back I said he isn’t coming back. I would gladly take Oscar back but their is a question about having a guy camped in the paint with players who need floor spacing. And on the shooters and no name floor spacers. Good 3 point shooters with Wagner, dillingham & Edwards is what the team needs. The kncecht guy that I mentioned a little while ago of some other shooter will give floor spacing to Kentucky and make it easier for Wagner and Edwards to get to the rim

I never said I don’t want Oscar back I said he isn’t coming back. I would gladly take Oscar back but their is a question about having a guy camped in the paint with players who need floor spacing. And on the shooters and no name floor spacers. Good 3 point shooters with Wagner, dillingham & Edwards is what the team needs. The kncecht guy that I mentioned a little while ago of some other shooter will give floor spacing to Kentucky and make it easier for Wagner and Edwards to get to the rim
you want guys like Toppin Frederick Mintz Allen remember that one. The one fans called to play? Those guys can't and couldn't create space enough for them or others. Cal is not going to change, so why keep getting those type of playets? Why??? I'm sick of losing or scoring 65 points a game. Just look back this year when we start games 1-7 or 2-12 to start games without Oscar getting a shot. Even every game the announcers said go inside to Oscar. Our half court is bad but we blame the big. Not the ones running the show or handing it %80 of the time.

you want guys like Toppin Frederick Mintz Allen remember that one. The one fans called to play? Those guys can't and couldn't create space enough for them or others. Cal is not going to change, so why keep getting those type of playets? Why??? I'm sick of losing or scoring 65 points a game. Just look back this year when we start games 1-7 or 2-12 to start games without Oscar getting a shot. Even every game the announcers said go inside to Oscar. Our half court is bad but we blame the big. Not the ones running the show or handing it %80 of the time.
Who says the shooting Kentucky gets has to be that caliber of player, anyways next years bunch doesn’t need the shooters to also be creators, they need them to hit open shots, and Wagner Edwards and dillingham can all beat their man off the dribble

You want players in the transfer portal. You said you wanted Cj toppin and Reeves back. But not Oscar. You named 3 guys that can't create or have winning basketball skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT