ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner can’t shoot!

Not only is he playing poorly, but he looks very dejected out there and on the bench. There’s no reason for him to be anything other than a back-up to spell the guards at times, and that gets even more limited if Edwards is playing well.
You can tell by his on court demeanor that he is pressing HARD on offense. It's weighing on him. Against Auburn he did a great job of drawing fouls on his drives which led to him going 6-6 from the FT line. As bad as his shooting has been lately, he is still making FT's. So WHY does he go into the lane and contort himself to AVOID contact???!!!!

He has decent form, but he only goes left and he jacks them up without having his feet set from 3. That last one he missed RATTLED the rim and popped out. I was hoping that would fall for him.

Watching him miss so many shots, you can just see how it is in his head now.

You can tell by his on court demeanor that he is pressing HARD on offense. It's weighing on him. Against Auburn he did a great job of drawing fouls on his drives which led to him going 6-6 from the FT line. As bad as his shooting has been lately, he is still making FT's. So WHY does he go into the lane and contort himself to AVOID contact???!!!!

He has decent form, but he only goes left and he jacks them up without having his feet set from 3. That last one he missed RATTLED the rim and popped out. I was hoping that would fall for him.

Watching him miss so many shots, you can just see how it is in his head now.
Very true on the point about him driving. He’s a big, strong guard. If anything he should be hunting contact when going to the FT line as opposed to falling away/avoiding contact.

Reactions: catben
I ignored that dude a while back. But yeah, he was telling us after the exhibition games that Wagner was the best guard.
Yeah. I bumped an early thread where he was extremely adamant that was the case. Lulz Rarely will I do that. However, I told him in one particular thread (possibly that very thread, idk) I’d be doing it come late February or so. Welp, here we are. 😉

It'll never happen but if he keeps struggling, I'd suggest the opposite of what Cal did with his father-he should stay another year and be in the class age wise he should be in-which is '24. It's a rare case when a Kentucky player is not excelling as a younger guy-but he'd be 19 next year as a Soph at UK.....it's not like he has to leave and it's about leaving when you are ready to make basketball a career.

Know I'm smoking rocks to even think this--but it's worth a discussion if he continues to press/struggle.

Reed and Dilly should start and Dilly should log a lot more minutes than DJ. Wagner, who was trash again, logged 24 minutes.

In the last 7 games Wagner is not only 0/15 from deep, but also 9/46 (19.5%) overall. I’d bet that there is no one in college basketball shooting the ball worse, while STARTING and playing big minutes.
While I agree Dilly and Reed are playing better now, let’s not forget DJ was SEC player of the week a few times earlier. He didn’t dribble a ball for over 2 weeks and it put him even more behind. Also DJ plays better defense, so there’s that.

While I agree Dilly and Reed are playing better now, let’s not forget DJ was SEC player of the week a few times earlier. He didn’t dribble a ball for over 2 weeks and it put him even more behind. Also DJ plays better defense, so there’s that.
🤣 you told us forever DJ was our best guard and would be come February/March. Reed and Rob have played better literally all season than DJ. So has Reeves. Let’s see, that would make DJ exactly our 4th best guard.

It'll never happen but if he keeps struggling, I'd suggest the opposite of what Cal did with his father-he should stay another year and be in the class age wise he should be in-which is '24. It's a rare case when a Kentucky player is not excelling as a younger guy-but he'd be 19 next year as a Soph at UK.....it's not like he has to leave and it's about leaving when you are ready to make basketball a career.

Know I'm smoking rocks to even think this--but it's worth a discussion if he continues to press/struggle.
I agree. He turns 19 in May. He needs another year.

DJ will not make an NBA roster if he leaves. He will play in G -league with I'm guessing mediocre results. He isn't his daddy and certainly not his grandaddy. He needs a lot of work on his game. Mainly his shooting and improving his court vision. As for his ( MYTHICAL IMO) defensive prowess,I haven't seen it,mainly watching him gawk at his man blows by to the basket. He isn't a good point guard right now,doesn't see the floor well enough, and he can't shoot so why play him unless to BRIEFLY spell our other guards

🤣 you told us forever DJ was our best guard and would be come February/March. Reed and Rob have played better literally all season than DJ. So has Reeves. Let’s see, that would make DJ exactly our 4th best guard.
Again, they are better offensively right now but DJ is better defensively. I think DJ can still be a better pro than Reed or Reeves, still TBD if he can pass Dilly as a pro. If I was picking guards right now DJ would be my 4th pick. You also have put down Edwards all year and look at yesterday. DJ is our youngest player. He’s gonna be a stud when he gets it figured out, you’ll see in time.

Again, they are better offensively right now but DJ is better defensively. I think DJ can still be a better pro than Reed or Reeves, still TBD if he can pass Dilly as a pro. If I was picking guards right now DJ would be my 4th pick. You also have put down Edwards all year and look at yesterday. DJ is our youngest player. He’s gonna be a stud when he gets it figured out, you’ll see in time.
Well yeah, JE hadn’t lived up to expectations until the last week or two. Like someone else said, I don’t think he worked hard enough to get into good game shape. I’m with ya, I really hope DJ can figure it out these last few weeks and give us a boost. I also like him on the defensive end.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Well yeah, JE hadn’t lived up to expectations until the last week or two. Like someone else said, I don’t think he worked hard enough to get into good game shape. I’m with ya, I really hope DJ can figure it out these last few weeks and give us a boost. I also like him on the defensive end.
I admit you were right and I was wrong, in no way is DJ our best guard. I just hope all these kids will be playing their best ball in the next month or so. We all have the same hopes, Go Cats.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I admit you were right and I was wrong, in no way is DJ our best guard. I just hope all these kids will be playing their best ball in the next month or so. We all have the same hopes, Go Cats.
I had serious doubts that JE would figure it out. I was wrong on that for sure. He looked like an AA yesterday. If he can just play half that well rest of the season, we will be cooking! Go Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT