ADVERTISEMENT

Vols Hiring Jim Chaney from Georgia as Offensive Coordinator

Good grief...who leaves Athens for Knoxville?

I mean was his seat hot and he's just getting out before he's pushed out or what?

Who's on Kirby's shortlist?
Probably someone who's an ace recruiter, as the word is that UGA is going after Tosh Lupoi, our current Defensive Coordinator, to fill another vacancy due to his recruiting prowess.

I now know how y'all feel when Saban offers guys right after Stoops does. Kirby has been going after our coaches and offering kids after they commit to us, and it's really freaking annoying. Heck, we lost Tyler Simmons to UGA after Kirby took the UGA job because he took a photo of our recruiting board to show where he was on our board in relation to UGA's so they could land him. He might be panicking because Chaney is best pals with the UGA OL Coach, Sam Pittman, who is an ace recruiter and excellent OL coach. Word is that they are joined at the hip, and Pittman has signed about half a dozen 5-star OL in the last 2+ years.

Probably someone who's an ace recruiter, as the word is that UGA is going after Tosh Lupoi, our current Defensive Coordinator, to fill another vacancy due to his recruiting prowess.

I now know how y'all feel when Saban offers guys right after Stoops does. Kirby has been going after our coaches and offering kids after they commit to us, and it's really freaking annoying. Heck, we lost Tyler Simmons to UGA after Kirby took the UGA job because he took a photo of our recruiting board to show where he was on our board in relation to UGA's so they could land him. He might be panicking because Chaney is best pals with the UGA OL Coach, Sam Pittman, who is an ace recruiter and excellent OL coach. Word is that they are joined at the hip, and Pittman has signed about half a dozen 5-star OL in the last 2+ years.

Chaney and Pittman have coached together 3 years over their 30+ years of coaching. Hardly joined at the hip. But they are friends. Tosh's name has been thrown around, but he isn't the guy. Another former Bama coach has been mentioned, Derrick Ansley. Not sure why it would surprise you we offered Simmons, we recruit about 200 of the same guys every year.

Supposedly had to pay him $1.6 million... sounds like too much. Looks like he’s a good recruiter mostly, but Tennessee recruits well anyway

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Chaney and Pittman have coached together 3 years over their 30+ years of coaching. Hardly joined at the hip. But they are friends. Tosh's name has been thrown around, but he isn't the guy. Another former Bama coach has been mentioned, Derrick Ansley. Not sure why it would surprise you we offered Simmons, we recruit about 200 of the same guys every year.
I'm surprised that he took a photo of the Bama staff's recruiting board, not that UGA was recruiting Tyler Simmons. I had forgotten about that until a few weeks back when Jimbo called out Kirby and the UGA staff. He basically said that they were full of sh*t for lying to a A&M QB commit, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

They have coached together at Tennessee, Arkansas, and Georgia.. He is not thought to be an option to join Chaney in Knoxville though.

I'm surprised that he took a photo of the Bama staff's recruiting board, not that UGA was recruiting Tyler Simmons. I had forgotten about that until a few weeks back when Jimbo called out Kirby and the UGA staff. He basically said that they were full of sh*t for lying to a A&M QB commit, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I guess that would depend on who you believe wouldn't you think. Jimbo tried to hire James Coley as OC as was turned down, so he wouldn't have an axe to grind. As for Siimmons the ex UGA staff wasn't recruiting him, the new one was. Nick and Bama don't say nice try guys when a kid commits to another school do they? You know as well as anyone SEC recruiting is cutthroat,

I don't really have any idea who our DC will be, Ansley is being considered for the Troy job, but I think he is the top guy and Kirby is looking for an AA for the slot.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
They have coached together at Tennessee, Arkansas, and Georgia.. He is not thought to be an option to join Chaney in Knoxville though.
'
Counting the UGA years it is 6 years out of nearly 35, so not exactly joined at the hip, friends, like working with each other but that's it. Kirby didn't make Chaney a counter offer, he will make Pittman the highest paid position coach in college if he needs too.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I guess that would depend on who you believe wouldn't you think. Jimbo tried to hire James Coley as OC as was turned down, so he wouldn't have an axe to grind. As for Siimmons the ex UGA staff wasn't recruiting him, the new one was. Nick and Bama don't say nice try guys when a kid commits to another school do they? You know as well as anyone SEC recruiting is cutthroat,

I don't really have any idea who our DC will be, Ansley is being considered for the Troy job, but I think he is the top guy and Kirby is looking for an AA for the slot.

doesn't make it any less unethical and sleazy on Smarts part to claim that everyone does it

doesn't make it any less unethical and sleazy on Smarts part to claim that everyone does it

First of all no one knows if he did or didn't, Rammer wasn't the one who said he did, it was Bama fans who don't know anymore about what goes on in Bama offices than I do UGA's or you UK's. If Kirby was struggling to win 6 games no one would care.

Pittman isn't going anywhere (thank God).

Wasn’t Ansley on staff at UK? Stoops had made him co-DC when Saban hired him away... or something like that? Sorry not firing on all cylinders, sat up way past my bedtime to watch that mess last night.

Wasn’t Ansley on staff at UK? Stoops had made him co-DC when Saban hired him away... or something like that? Sorry not firing on all cylinders, sat up way past my bedtime to watch that mess last night.

He could have been, he spent last season with the Raiders. Looks like he is the top guy for the Troy job. No idea where we turn now, may pull a Mason and Kirby handles the D calls and we hire a DB coach,

Special teams coach if I remember right. Meh most likely not. Getting CRS. (Can't Remember S***)

Ansley was the DB coach and a very good recruiter. Clinckscale is his replacement.

Reactions: KY1WING
The worst part of this is the assistant coach salary arms race. With this escalation, it's only a matter of time before someone offers obscene money to one of our key assistants

I am not 100% on this but hearing UT offered Chaney 1.7m, to come, he asked Kirby to match it and he didn't.
Understand too Chaney is a journeyman assistant coach, career assistant, not one of the big name gotta have up and comers. But, he's paving the way for better assistants to make a lot more money.

How do you feel about this overall?

I think Chaney was too predictable and didn't take advantage of all the weapons we had in 18. If what we were doing worked, we looked good, but if it wasn't he either couldn't or wouldn't adapt.

As for paying the OL coach I am all for it, I think he is the best in the country. He has agreed to a new title and salary that is paying him coordinator money. He has brought us from not being able to put an OL on the field to 10 deep in 3 years.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Michigan already did offer obscene money to Vince Marrow but he stayed.

This time. How many more times will he say no?

And we have other assistants that are highly coveted. As today's news about Gran clearly indicates. House and White will be on radars very soon if not already

What mess ? Start watching late Feb or use dvr. and watch if it sounds like it's not going to upset you . works great.

Why would Chaney leave UGA for UT? I understand the Pruitt connection, but why leave a recruiting machine like UGA that expects to contend next year for a ship that may never leave dock? Obviously, Pruitt thinks he is hiring a top OC. The OC at UGA gets credit for the offense at UGA. It’s not like getting out from the shadow of a Petrino or a Brohm. So, what is the issue at UGA?

Why would Chaney leave UGA for UT? I understand the Pruitt connection, but why leave a recruiting machine like UGA that expects to contend next year for a ship that may never leave dock? Obviously, Pruitt thinks he is hiring a top OC. The OC at UGA gets credit for the offense at UGA. It’s not like getting out from the shadow of a Petrino or a Brohm. So, what is the issue at UGA?
$$$$$$$$$$

Obviously not the 1.7 mil that has been reported that he's getting from Tenn.

Well, I am not sure it is obvious, but let’s say it is true. What was UGA offering? Because, I would think most people would take less $$$ to stay at UGA than go to UT.

Well, I am not sure it is obvious, but let’s say it is true. What was UGA offering? Because, I would think most people would take less $$$ to stay at UGA than go to UT.
Well considering he left, it obviously wasn't close enough to the 1.7 mil for him.

Does Chaney have a hard time getting along with HCs? This is the second (left Arkansas when they were winning to go to Pittsburgh and be on Narduzzi's first staff there) head scratching move I'm aware of. When UK hired Gran and Hinshaw, Hinshaw talked about the influence Chaney had on them when they were position coaches under Chaney at UT. Think they based a lot of their offense at UC on what Chaney did. Seems like the offense is a little different now with more of an emphasis on a running QB and running game.

Ansley has certainly moved up the coaching ladder. He was a good recruiter here.

Chaney will make 1.5 million this year with a $100K bump each of the next 2 years for a total of $4.8 million. Chaney likes East Tennessee because of the lakes and his love of fishing. He has maintained a home on Douglas Lake about 35 miles outside Knoxville since leaving UT and has a daughter who currently is in Vet School at UT. Some have said he was not happy with Smart taking the QB coaching position from him and giving to Coley. Some have also said that outside of Pittman, did not really like the rest of the offensive staff at UGA. Not only will Chaney be the highest paid OC in the country but to keep Pittman, UGA is having to step up and make him the highest paid OL coach in the country - and he is worth every dime of it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT