ADVERTISEMENT

Video: P.J. Washington on UK next year, "I feel like nobody can stop us."

This team lacks a star. We don't have a Davis, Wall, Knight, Towns or Fox. We've got a good class, but lack an elite. I think Diallo was ranked 8-9? And I guarantee he couldn't hold a candle to Fox or Monk.
I'm not saying we're NIT bound, but I expect 8-10 losses. UK's youngest team with zero super stars = below par since Cal's arrival.
3-4 losses?? Come on...you can't be serious.

Why are we so sure that Knox or Diallo won't be stars? When Knox was all-for-sure going to Duke, he was going to be their next great SF who could hit shots all over. Diallo, he's got a half year under his belt.

Cal' doesn't have many 10 loss teams. One was because we lost a top5 player in Noel, and the other was with a recruiting class, as a whole, that really didn't pan out. His other many loss teams? One was without Kanter which really put Cal in a bind, and the other was without a frontcourt and a guy Skal who underperformed as he played out of position.

When Cal has his guys and isn't getting hosed by the NCAA, we don't lose many games.

Why are we so sure that Knox or Diallo won't be stars? When Knox was all-for-sure going to Duke, he was going to be their next great SF who could hit shots all over. Diallo, he's got a half year under his belt.

Cal' doesn't have many 10 loss teams. One was because we lost a top5 player in Noel, and the other was with a recruiting class, as a whole, that really didn't pan out. His other many loss teams? One was without Kanter which really put Cal in a bind, and the other was without a frontcourt and a guy Skal who underperformed as he played out of position.

When Cal has his guys and isn't getting hosed by the NCAA, we don't lose many games.
Ive seen Knox and Diallo, they're good but not game changers. I'm excited for the season, but expectations are knee high, as all UK fans should be.
If you're thinking this class will only have 3-4 losses like the other guy.....i'll be reading your meltdowns this December.

Knox and Diallo will be stars next year. They're our Fox and Monk of this class. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or the other as a Top 5 NBA Draft pick next year, with the other Top 10.

PJ Washington is a more mobile Julius Randle with more range and better handle, and everyone is overlooking him as well.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Ive seen Knox and Diallo, they're good but not game changers. I'm excited for the season, but expectations are knee high, as all UK fans should be.
If you're thinking this class will only have 3-4 losses like the other guy.....i'll be reading your meltdowns this December.

The 3 or 4 is a best-case scenario right now, for me at least. I'm thinking 4 to 6. Still not sure why you think this is a 10 loss team when that's only happened twice under Cal, both times for very obvious reasons.

Kentucky has strength in numbers this season. I disagree that Knox and Diallo aren't star material. Even Washington and Richards could get there. But even if NONE of them are Wall or Davis, it's enough talent across the floor and quality in the bench that this team should be one of the best next year.

Calipari's down years have always been caused by a very unfortunate hiccup.. Kanter, Noel, no front-court in 2016.. Kentucky doesn't have an eligibility issue, they have front court players and size, and they can also sustain an injury.

I believe he recruited with this purpose in mind. We're redundant and highly available (as they say in IT) and we're also future proofing ourself. This year isn't supposed to be the show-stopper.. that's next season. But we're starting to look pretty damn good and Cal has a new trick up his sleeve: coaching/practicing 3 of these guys early at the U19 games.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I said 8-10. How bout we meet in the middle? I'll say 9 losses total.

Come on, you're confident, don't slide now, let's do the 10 losses if the Cats reach that or more, I owe you $50, if less you owe me $50. Plus I have to warn you I hardly ever win a bet, lol.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
People are overlooking the fact that college basketball will suck next year.

Who are the best teams? Which teams return veteran talent? UK is among the best younger teams, and without any real veteran threats, UK has a very good chance to make noise next March.

Which teams do you see as the favorites to win it all next season?

The best teams next year are MSU, Zona, KU, Duke, and UK.

Each of those teams have major flaws:

MSU is still pretty young with their starting five featuring four Sophs and a Freshman. Their 5 man is 6'8 at best and is not a superior athlete. Their PG is good, but not great. They have depth and a star or maybe two (Bridges, Jackson), but aren't head and shoulders better than everyone else. They have a good coach and will be a tough, hard-nosed team that could win it all.

Zona has two major flaws. First, they do not have an elite PG. Second, their coach has yet to make it to the Final Four, so a title is going to be tough to come by. The talent is there at every spot except PG. Duval would have made them a killer team. Jackson-Cartwright does not look like a championship level PG. Ayton is a superstar, though, and Trier and Alkins are exceptional college wings. Those three could pack them to a title.

KU has veterans, they have talent, they have a little bit of everything, but they lack depth inside. Azubuike is a very good big, if he stays healthy, but they have pretty much nothing after him. Preston is a stud. Graham and Newman will give them a good backcourt. Mykhailiuk, Vick, and Cunliffe are solid wings. Just not enough beef inside. If Azubuike is in foul trouble or gets injured, they will be pedestrian inside. Self is a good coach, though, and if Azubuike can carry the load inside, they could win him his second title.

Duke is very young and have no depth. Younger than they have probably ever been. One Senior (with attitude issues), one Soph (who has yet to produce), and a trio of superb Freshmen starting. After the starting five, they have Freshmen and Sophs who are not typical Duke level guys. The starting five has the potential to be outstanding. K is a great coach, obviously, and we should never count him out.

UK is super young. No Juniors or Seniors. Eight Freshmen and three Sophs. Two of the Sophs rarely saw the court (Killeya-Jones, Wynyard) last season. Only one part-time starter returning (Gabriel). They have no superstar inside player like they are use to having (Cousins, Jones, Davis, Randle, KAT, Bam). They have great size and talent on the wing. This team is talented and deep, though. Eight 5-stars and three 4-stars. Their top nine players were top 30 players in their class. They have size with ten guys 6'4 or taller, and seven players 6'8 or taller. They have a great coach, who is use to coaching Freshmen laden teams, so they will have a shot.

So it wouldn't surprise me if any of those five cut down the nets.

And this could be a year where someone comes out of nowhere and gets hot in March and wins it all. No truly dominant team this season.

Reactions: cgreen423
Which teams do you see as the favorites to win it all next season?
Duke and Kansas. They'll be another that'll show up mid-season.
You have to have perspective. This isn't a great class we have, Cal's youngest team he's had here, and no super star....those 3 things will keep the Cats from a title this year. If we landed Bamba, I'd be more optimismtic, we'd have at least 1 guys in the top 8.

Like they did in 12?

Yes, exactly like the team in 2012 (that had a very good upperclassman veteran player in Darius Miller. Very talented sophomores in Lamb and Jones. Ultra talented freshmen. The perfect recipe)

You have to have perspective. This isn't a great class we have, Cal's youngest team he's had here, and no super star....those 3 things will keep the Cats from a title this year. If we landed Bamba, I'd be more optimismtic, we'd have at least 1 guys in the top 8.
Care to elaborate as to why?

Care to elaborate as to why?

No, he wont, because all the problems he pointed to for UK, Duke has the same problems plus a short bench. I get the young comment, but not the no superstar comment. Both Diallo and Knox were/are top 10 players, and Washington and Vanderbilt aren't far behind. This maybe Cal's deepest team. While the 2015 team originally went 10 deep, they didn't have a single SF, and too many guys were too similar.

No, he wont, because all the problems he pointed to for UK, Duke has the same problems plus a short bench. I get the young comment, but not the no superstar comment. Both Diallo and Knox were/are top 10 players, and Washington and Vanderbilt aren't far behind. This maybe Cal's deepest team. While the 2015 team originally went 10 deep, they didn't have a single SF, and too many guys were too similar.
This.

So bamba puts us in immediate title
Contention but no bamba and we're 2nd round flame outs?

Idk man ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT