ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy - what should UK be working on?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Their QB seems very slippery - Afari as spy for many plays? Making him throw from the pocket - I feel he can hurt us if we let him improvise too much.
2. I would think/hope we have physical superiority so straight ahead running, play action off of successful running game? I hope we don't have to dig too deep into the playbook to put together several scoring drives.
3. OL needs to continue to improve and eliminate the blown assignments.
4. Working some other option off the one play that Wimsatt runs to include a misdirection handoff, quick slant, etc. IIRC, way back in days of yore when Tommy Frasier was running NE's offense, there were several plays a game when he'd fake handoff and then take 2 steps back to throw. It was very effective as he was seen as a runner first and the defense would key on him keeping the ball. If we install something like this, we could definitely use it against other opponents.
5. Vandy looks like they're well coached so we can't be arrogant or flat. Have to play our game, score some TDs and not let them hang around deep into the 4th.

Vandy QB reminds me a little of Manziel. He is quick,runs well and makes throws out of the pocket. We haven't really seen a guy like this all year.We should be working on stopping him. He gambles slot so if we are in the right schemes we should get a turnover or 2

Defensive ends need to keep QB in the middle of the field, that keeps him from getting to the edge, he's really dangerous on cutting back to the middle. Run the ball, run the ball, that'll open up passing lanes. Don't be surprised if this game is close.

1. Their QB seems very slippery - Afari as spy for many plays? Making him throw from the pocket - I feel he can hurt us if we let him improvise too much.
2. I would think/hope we have physical superiority so straight ahead running, play action off of successful running game? I hope we don't have to dig too deep into the playbook to put together several scoring drives.
4. Working some other option off the one play that Wimsatt runs to include a misdirection handoff, quick slant, etc. IIRC, way back in days of yore when Tommy Frasier was running NE's offense, there were several plays a game when he'd fake handoff and then take 2 steps back to throw. It was very effective as he was seen as a runner first and the defense would key on him keeping the ball. If we install something like this, we could definitely use it against other opponents.
5. Vandy looks like they're well coached so we can't be arrogant or flat. Have to play our game, score some TDs and not let them hang around deep into the 4th.
We better be putting a defensive plan together to handle maybe the best QB in the SEC. He is close to Milroe!

Haven't seen a second of a Vandy game so far but judging by his stats, their QB seems to be pretty good. Completing 63% of his passes with 6 TDs and two rushing TDs. He's also their leading rusher and with 71 rushing attempts on the season, they run him frequently.

We better be putting a defensive plan together to handle maybe the best QB in the SEC. He is close to Milroe!
Pavia is far from the best QB in the SEC better than Beck, Dart, etc ?. He is a good runner and effective passer. He is short and has trouble throwing for the pocket. Vandy rolls him a lot. He is very good runner, runs tough but not overly fast. If defense pays to the level they'd played the past 3 weeks we shouldn't have to many problems with him.

Pavia might not survive the Alabama game. He takes a lot of hits.

Last edited:
Pavia is far from the best QB in the SEC better than Beck, Dart, etc ?. He is a good runner and effective passer. He is short and has trouble throwing for the pocket. Vandy rolls him a lot. He is very good runner, runs tough but not overly fast. If defense pays to the level they'd played the past 3 weeks we shouldn't have to many problems with him.

This is my thought.

Vandy scores about 34 pts/game over the first 5 games. Vandy gives up >28 pts/game........over 35 if you don't include the Alcorn game. We average scoring 22 pts/game. My worry is less about our defenses ability to do enough and more about our offenses ability to do enough.

We are giving up like 15 pts a game (something like that), Jaxon Dart is about as slippery as Vandy QB. Kiffin is an offense guy as well. Besides the total lack of prep for South Carolina (like I said earlier after that game, we can win the rest and we will still be talking about how bad we looked), take that game away and we are giving up like 9 pts a game.

Offense needs to get much better and showed some life at Ole Miss. They get 20% better and we will be in good shape.

The big thing will be how we come out of the bye week. My biggest concern. Stoops does not change things, he could care less what the past shows for his teams coming out of the bye week. Not sure what Kentucky does during that 2 week period but it has not been good.

If, GREAT BIG IF, Stoops does not overlook Vandy and has the team ready like at Ole Miss we will win. If it is a typical Stoops bye week and this is a toss up game.

Head says Vandy 24 KENTUCKY 27.
Heart says Vandy 9 KENTUCKY 31.

Will go with head over heart.

This is my thought.

Vandy scores about 34 pts/game over the first 5 games. Vandy gives up >28 pts/game........over 35 if you don't include the Alcorn game. We average scoring 22 pts/game. My worry is less about our defenses ability to do enough and more about our offenses ability to do enough.
My keys would be:

1. Creating turnovers and not turnover
2. Some explosive runs
3. No more than 2 or 3 sacks
4. Play defense like the past few weeks.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
They don't have the talent to beat us if we bring our B game or better, but we can't overlook anyone on our schedule except maybe Murray St. They will play a lot of zone, to keep eyes on the QB and maintain gap integrity, and I suspect they'll coach the rushers to keep the QB in the pocket rather than selling out trying to get a sack.

I believe the offensive game plan will be to establish the run, get a two score lead, then start working on the passing game and hopefully get Macklin and Brown more integrated, as well as feed the TEs a bit. I suspect this will be a 10pt =/- spread and we should win by more than that.

Last edited:
Offensive line play is way above anything else on the list of what to work on.
If you look at the tape, our offensive line has played good to great in every game other than USCjr. I encourage you to look at the data rather than hold on to a single bad memory that overshadows everything else.

Reactions: The-Hack
Haven't seen a second of a Vandy game so far but judging by his stats, their QB seems to be pretty good. Completing 63% of his passes with 6 TDs and two rushing TDs. He's also their leading rusher and with 71 rushing attempts on the season, they run him frequently.
Poor man's Manziel with a Keystone Cop's scheme that thrives on opponent's lack of discipline.

Reactions: The-Hack
This is my thought.

Other than USCjr, we hold everyone several TDs below their offensive scoring avg. including Ole Miss which was 39pts under their avg and UGA 25pts under.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Other than USCjr, we hold everyone several TDs below their offensive scoring avg. including Ole Miss which was 39pts under their avg and UGA 25pts under.

If we could maintain that average, maybe Vandy goes into negative scoring territory . . . or gives us points while they are on offense (I hope Hairston is getting better).

We're been good at getting pressure but we HAVE to contain their qb. Vandy's defense is mediocre, we need to beat them the way we beat Ole Miss by dominating time of possession, but against a weaker D we need to turn those possessions into touchdowns. As always, play clean and don't turn the ball over. Vandy isn't a pushover but we're better.

Agreed. I'm less concerned with how the defense will perform. I am more focused on whether or not our offense can exploit their porous defense. We "should" be able to score >30 pts in this game......situation depending.

Mitch is figuring out a way to give Stoops another raise if we lose to Vandy again.
Even after a big win and playing Georgia to a one point game, you just can't help yourself. Why bring your BS that is completely off topic in here when ADULTS are trying to discuss serious opinions ? If you hate him that much, cheer for Vandy, pretty sure we wouldn't miss your grade school opinions.

This is typical conditions for a UK team to come out flat and unprepared. I'm hoping the USCjr game is still fresh in their minds. But, Stoops usually has a couple of these games a year. Coming off of a bye week hasn't been UK's strong suit. At home against Vandy with a big game looming at UF the week after. Vandy is improved, so you'd hope the players will be locked in. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing and UK comes out and kicks ass!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT