ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy Hype

Vandy has improved and so far they are better than most thought they would,that being said they caught a several good breaks in the K-State game(fumble by QB overturned , a costly turnover by K-State and penalties on K-State on one or two big plays),if one or two of those don't happen it is a different game.

I think they play Alabama close for a while but Vandy will have Alabama's attention from the get go.I think Alabama controls this one from late 2nd quarter to the end

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Vandy will cover against Bama. 18.5 favorite
27-14 or 30-14 Bama

That's my take, they haven't played a good team yet. I feel like people are just trying to sell any other teams hype in the easts exert kentuckys.

We beat #18 ranked Kansas State.

By your definition, UK damn sure hasn't beat a good team yet.

A really good defense does not give up 204 yards rushing like Vandy did against KSU. I think the perception that Vandy is better than average will be exposed in the next 4 weeks.

Holy potato, batman...

Vandy has the #1 scoring defense in the country and the #1 total defense in the country.

If you are saying there are no good defenses in the country, that's fine but say that.

Holy potato, batman...

Vandy has the #1 scoring defense in the country and the #1 total defense in the country.

If you are saying there are no good defenses in the country, that's fine but say that.
This weekend will show Vandy is nothing more than a paper tiger. I expect Vandy to win 3 conference games at best.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This weekend will show Vandy is nothing more than a paper tiger. I expect Vandy to win 3 conference games at best.

Another hot take by you.

So... If we don't beat Bama, we're no good, right?

Pretty sharp take.

For the rest of the non potato Cat fans, good luck this weekend against UF. I think y'all will roll over them as they simply aren't very good.

I really think the UK at Vandy game will end up having serious SEC East implications, which is crazy to think about.

6-2 is probably what it will take to win the East.

Another hot take by you.

Pretty sharp take.

For the rest of the non potato Cat fans, good luck this weekend against UF. I think y'all will roll over them as they simply aren't very good.

I really think the UK at Vandy game will end up having serious SEC East implications, which is crazy to think about.

I think Vandy is a solid team, I agree you guys will win 7 or 8 regular season games. It will be tough sledding against Bama, for everyone else also, so good luck the rest of the season.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Another hot take by you.

Pretty sharp take.

Honestly I think you guys are a lot like us in that against teams like Bama, you hope that a close game doesn't come at a cost of any injuries. We have had early injuries but have been fortunate to date that our depth is probably the best its been in years but even with that you can only take so many hits and SEC play can produce a lot of them.

Last edited:
Mason has that defense rocking. Currently ranked no. 1 in total defense. I think Vandy is a legit good team. They are solid and will do damage in the SEC this year.

They have given up 13 total points in three games. I don't care who you play, that is good.

Another hot take by you.

Pretty sharp take.

I stand by my statement Vandy is a average team so go back to your board and play with yourself.

Vanderbilt is for real. This is a team that might lose but you're gonna have a lot of players in the trainers room after the game. They bring it, and keep bringing it.
This game should have moved from a lot of folks sure win column to the toss up line two games ago.

In 2009, after Kentucky beat Auburn, I asked an Auburn buddy of mine: "Which loss of your team's was harder to take: Kentucky, or Vandy?" (Vandy had defeated Auburn the prior season).

His response: "Kentucky, because we lost to them at home."

Gave me some perspective on how others view our program.

Im down further south and most around here are fans of different programs Bama, Auburn, UT, LSU, Georgia etc. Ive rarely heard any of these fans state Vandy is the worst program in the sec they usually always say we are.

Reactions: UKUGA
Vandy has a good football team. They play good defense and take care of the ball. When you do those things it gives you a chance to win. They caught some breaks in K-State game with having 2 TD's called back, but they took advantage of those and won't he game. It will be interesting to see how they play Bama Saturday.

I'm with this. It's not that Vandy isn't any good, but if you pay attention to that Kstate game, there were a number of unique things that aren't going to happen very often. That's ok, it's part of football...and Vandy does have some good qualities, but I'm not getting ahead of myself on them. And while Kstate has a solid program and well coached it's not like they should be over valued in terms of providing validation because they are typically underwhelming athletically, don't play substantial OOC on the road and don't play non conference games of value much. Add the "one off" type things that went in Vandy's favor to help win that game and I file it away as they still have to show me more. And I also understand if people feel that way about UK.

Things happen every year that seem unique, AU with Nick Marshall at qb played for the NC and were lucky to not be a 8-5 team. Beat UGA on a 4th and 19 when 2 UGA DBs knocked the ball away from each other to an AU receiver 10 yards away for a TD, ball wasn't thrown close to him. Is called the Prayer in Jordan-Hare, a week later beat Bama on the return of an attempted FG attempt on last play for a 109 yard return for a TD. Regardless of lucky or not, they were in position to make the play. I don't think they beat Bama, but Mason has them playing as good as a defense as anyone in the SEC.

Vandy players should have kept their mouth shut. Bama doesn't need any motivation. Vandy better play lights out from the whistle, otherwise Bama will roll.

Vandy players should have kept their mouth shut. Bama doesn't need any motivation. Vandy better play lights out from the whistle, otherwise Bama will roll.

Please enlighten me as to what the Vandy players said???

We had one player say, "Bama, you're next" but he was 100% correct in that assertion as Bama was in fact next.

What else?

Go get them Gators this weekend, boys!!!

Please enlighten me as to what the Vandy players said???

We had one player say, "Bama, you're next" but he was 100% correct in that assertion as Bama was in fact next.

What else?

Go get them Gators this weekend, boys!!!
It will be interesting to see what Vandy does this week,I think their defense will hold their own but can the offense hold up their part of the deal.I'm not 100% sold on the QB but he may be better than I think.Hope Vandy can make Bama sweat a little tomorrow.

Im down further south and most around here are fans of different programs Bama, Auburn, UT, LSU, Georgia etc. Ive rarely heard any of these fans state Vandy is the worst program in the sec they usually always say we are.
Average fans aren't looking at historical data. It's all relevant to the last decade; Vandy has been the more consistent program the last decade. Joker took us as low as we can go and that takes a little while to shake.

Add that to the fact our Basketball program is a blueblood making us an outlier in the SEC and it makes it easier for Vandy to be accepted if they have a little success. They are a nothing school so a little success makes them a football school. We have to sustain success to shake our history and get out of our own shadow and the perception of "basketball only" even though it's not accurate and it's completely possible to be highly successful in both.

I'm not sure that "hype" is the right word. I think that folks see a talented, well-coached defense along with a vastly improved quarterback and passing game. This will be true regardless of the outcome against Alabama.

The Kansas State win wasn't a fluke and suggests that (other than Alabama) each time Vandy plays it has a reasonable chance to win that game. In other words, the ceiling has been raised and the WKU, South Carolina, and even UK games are now thought of as "should win" rather than "coin-flip" games. As an example, Vandy now believes that it should beat Florida next week in The Swamp.

Get ya'll some Gator tonight!

Last edited:
I'm not sure that "hype" is the right word. I think that folks see a talented, well-coached defense along with a vastly improved quarterback and passing game. This will be true regardless of the outcome against Alabama.

The Kansas State win wasn't a fluke and suggests that (other than Alabama) each time Vandy plays it has a reasonable chance to win that game. In other words, the ceiling has been raised and the WKU, South Carolina, and even UK games are now thought of as "should win" rather than "coin-flip" games. As an example, Vandy now believes that it should beat Florida next week in The Swamp.

Get ya'll some Gator tonight!

I'm with ya, except for the "should win" to "coin-flip" thing. I think you meant from "supposed to lose" to "coin-flip"......The "should win" thing is still in the FCS department for Vandy. Tonight is a "supposed to lose" game, so we'll see how it goes. I think Vandy will play a good game, and it could surely be close. I don't expect Alabama to be up for Vandy, and that makes for a really close and exciting game. UT vs. Mass is an example. UT was not up, and they had their hands full today. Happens weekly. I expect the same tonight. A Vandy win tonight is good for UK too. Turn them over and be in there late, you just never know what can happen, and IT does happen now and again.

giphy.gif

He Frieda I was wrong when I said Vandy was average, I should have said below average. Your defense is not that good.

Aside from performance on the field, which thus far has not been good, how do you feel as a Vandy player when you come out and YOUR stadium is FULL of fans of the visiting team. Looks like the year we played Clemson in the Music City Bowl

Reactions: wildcatwelder
ADVERTISEMENT