ADVERTISEMENT

Vandy Hype

Not a great team but let's be fair especially if we want people to be fair to us. Their defense is really good. Will not be surprised if they win 7/8 games this year. They won 6 last year.

Because they beat a bad1-2 MTSU team, Alabama A&M, and a Kansas State team 14-7 that beat up 2 cream puffs.

That's my take, they haven't played a good team yet. I feel like people are just trying to sell any other teams hype in the easts exert kentuckys.

Vandy is 2-2 against UT in last 4 years and knocked off Ga last year. They beat a ranked opponent last week. Don't know how our fans can complain about disrespect out of one side of our mouth then disrespect what they've done out of the other side.

Never felt like our respect had to be earned on the shoulders of another team. Everyone thought Mason was dead man walking early last year. I have no problem with any attention they're getting.

They have some talent on their roster and they, like us, are on the rise. How far have they really risen? Like us, that question will be answered on Saturday. Obviously, they have an even bigger challenge than we do, but both teams performances Saturday will be a good measuring stick to show just how far we've come.

They aren't turning the ball over, have the highest rated qb in the SEC by a good bit thats completing over 70% of his passes and the number 1 defense in the country. While they haven't played the toughest schedule, most everyone else has played a couple of creampuffs too, They are not the Vandy of the 90s. They are 3-0 too. They are likely to get beat up this weekend, but who else in the SEC wouldn't be either playing Bama?

the spread is Bama -18. I think Vandy will cover.

I don't think Bama is as good this year as they have been the last 8-9 years, Their qb still struggles with being consistent downfield. I don't know how well Bama can run against Vandy's defense but I think you are on to something saying they cover the 18. I think Bama loses an SEC game this year too, don't know who it will be too, maybe State because qbs who can run give them fits, that's right into Mason's strength playing against all those Oregon teams, and shutting them down.

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
Watched some of the Vandy game and I think most people blow them off just like they do us.....I think they call it "human nature". Even Kat Fans do it.

Their defense is flat hitting people. More so than what I've seen by a bunch of ranked teams this year. KSU guys were being turned back. Like us, I think they are highly motivated and "all - in" with the process. When you have that, you can do some things. I look for them to play Alabama close, and the upset is not impossible. Sure, it is unlikely, but a series of breaks and an un-motivated Alabama team could spell plenty of trouble for the Tide. Alabama is not good enough to sleep through games this year.

We better be focused when we play Vandy down there. It will be a hard fought game, and in no way a gimme. I'm rooting for them to beat everybody but us. Their wins are good for us!

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
Not a great team but let's be fair especially if we want people to be fair to us. Their defense is really good. Will not be surprised if they win 7/8 games this year. They won 6 last year.
A really good defense does not give up 204 yards rushing like Vandy did against KSU. I think the perception that Vandy is better than average will be exposed in the next 4 weeks.

A really good defense does not give up 204 yards rushing like Vandy did against KSU. I think the perception that Vandy is better than average will be exposed in the next 4 weeks.
You are completely right. However I can see this team beating 4 out of the east. Except for us and Georgia of course.

If Vandy played K State this week, not ranked instead of last week, ranked, would they get as much hype?

That was about 50 below what KSU was averaging, they have given up 2 TDs this year, 14 points. That's playing good defense unless you are just looking to not give credit to someone who is playing well right now. That number is very likely to go up this weekend, but so would anyone else's defensive numbers.

Vandy has had a stiff defense under Mason, they've always struggled with depth, offense and turnovers.

I don't believe they'll contend with Bama but they are a much improved team and K-State is a good win.

I didnt watch the Vanderbilt game but looking at the stats or seems weird. The quarterback struggled to throw the ball but ran it 24 times. Was hen trying to throw and running for his life or was he running because Vandy was taking away the inside run by the running back on the read option?

I didnt watch the Vanderbilt game but looking at the stats or seems weird. The quarterback struggled to throw the ball but ran it 24 times. Was hen trying to throw and running for his life or was he running because Vandy was taking away the inside run by the running back on the read option?

Ertz had more rushing attempts than completions last year and is playing the same style this year. He likes to run and isn't anything special throwing the ball.

Could someone please explain all the hype around vandy? I'm just not seeing it.

As much as we like to knock Vandy's legitimacy (and trust me, I absolutely despise them)...our record against them is 43-42-4.

Granted, they had 16 wins and one tie against us in the first 17 matchups through 1938...so it hasn't been as even in modern times.

In fact, they only have two winning streaks since 1970:
- 5 in a row against Bill Curry from 1991-95
- 3 in a row against Joker (2011-12) and Stoops (2013)

Those blowout losses in 2011 and 2012...good grief...very arguably the low point in program history. Thanks for absolutely nothing (except ending the UT streak), Joker.

But they've won 4 of the last 6. We need to create some separation in this rivalry.

Could someone please explain all the hype around vandy? I'm just not seeing it.

Having watched the Vandy- K-State game I came away feeling better about our match-up with them. Kansas State had two scores called back: A punt return due to a block in the back not critical to the outcome, and a fumble scoop and score overturned by replay (announcers incredulous). Also missed a 42 yard field goal. Set Vandy up with short field for the winning td with an interception. Webb contained, but Shurmer hit some nice throws. They are definitely improving, but may also be early recipients of the South Carolina effect (anybody but Kentucky). We'll know soon enough.

Vandy is good. Their defense is very good and their offense appears to be remarkably better and balanced. Their offense is ahead of ours at this point.

Check with me on October 8th and I'll let you know what I think of Vandy. They have Bama, Florida and Georgia coming up the next three weeks. After that it is easy street for them.

I could see them at 8-4 or 9-3 at the end of the season if they dont get banged up the next three weeks

Vandy is no push over. They have improved. Good defense. They will cover the spread against Bama. It will be a toss up when we play them. I think we will beat Vandy, by 7 points.

Having watched the Vandy- K-State game I came away feeling better about our match-up with them. Kansas State had two scores called back: A punt return due to a block in the back not critical to the outcome, and a fumble scoop and score overturned by replay (announcers incredulous). Also missed a 42 yard field goal. Set Vandy up with short field for the winning td with an interception. Webb contained, but Shurmer hit some nice throws. They are definitely improving, but may also be early recipients of the South Carolina effect (anybody but Kentucky). We'll know soon enough.

I'm with this. It's not that Vandy isn't any good, but if you pay attention to that Kstate game, there were a number of unique things that aren't going to happen very often. That's ok, it's part of football...and Vandy does have some good qualities, but I'm not getting ahead of myself on them. And while Kstate has a solid program and well coached it's not like they should be over valued in terms of providing validation because they are typically underwhelming athletically, don't play substantial OOC on the road and don't play non conference games of value much. Add the "one off" type things that went in Vandy's favor to help win that game and I file it away as they still have to show me more. And I also understand if people feel that way about UK.

Reactions: Soupbean
In 2009, after Kentucky beat Auburn, I asked an Auburn buddy of mine: "Which loss of your team's was harder to take: Kentucky, or Vandy?" (Vandy had defeated Auburn the prior season).

His response: "Kentucky, because we lost to them at home."

Gave me some perspective on how others view our program.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Ertz had more rushing attempts than completions last year and is playing the same style this year. He likes to run and isn't anything special throwing the ball.

Yea, I kind of figured that, but why did he run the ball 24 times while their main running back only ran it 8? Was this by design or was this that he was trying to pass and was scrambling?

ADVERTISEMENT