ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

BigBlueSean

All-SEC
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2013
I think we found something in the 2nd half against Ecuador and Bolivia...I think we found our best 11--

I'd go with this if I were Klinsmann:

Guzan
Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Birnbaum, Yedlin
Michael Bradley (CDM)
Bobby Wood (RW), Christian Pulisic (LW)
Darlington Nagbe (CAM)
Dempsey, Zardes (ST)

4-4-2 Diamond Wide---- It may be young, but I think its the best lineup.... and I think moving Bradley to CDM and the creativity of Wood, Pulisic, and Nagbe are the difference. Might as well get the young ones a ton of experience since we failed to qualify for the Confederations Cup....

@Vandalayindustries what are your thoughts?

I don't think you can start Pulisic or Nagbe yet. I think they'll be better off the bench and who we saw start the 2nd half of the game is who will start in the group stage. I love Pulisic, but don't want to throw him out there too quick. I think we have the best US team I've seen also. We just need a dynamic goal scorer, and maybe Pulisic is it.

Dempsey wood
Bedoya Jones (not sold on him as a cam) zardes
Bradley
Johnson Cameron Brooks Yedlin
Guzan

Nagbe, pulisic, whoever off the bench.

soccer-gay.jpg

proof_that_gay_soccer_players_do_exist_640_07.jpg

soccer-is-so-gay.jpg

proof_that_gay_soccer_players_do_exist_640_05.jpg

soccer-gay-1.jpg

I don't think you can start Pulisic or Nagbe yet. I think they'll be better off the bench and who we saw start the 2nd half of the game is who will start in the group stage. I love Pulisic, but don't want to throw him out there too quick. I think we have the best US team I've seen also. We just need a dynamic goal scorer, and maybe Pulisic is it.

If Pulisic is good enough to start for Dortmund (and heavily contribute), then he should absolutely start for a very mediocre USMNT imo. At least he can get on the field in a major european league unlike everyone else on the team.

If Pulisic is good enough to start for Dortmund (and heavily contribute), then he should absolutely start for a very mediocre USMNT imo. At least he can get on the field in a major european league unlike everyone else on the team.

He started 2 matches. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be incredible but not sure he's ready. Last year he was playing on the U17 team.

Pulisic is just so creative. Him, Wood and Nagbe are really good with creating space and making good runs.

Can we rename this just the "Soccer Thread" and let it be a catch all for topics?

- Actually streaming the Tampa Bay-FC Cincinnati US Open game. TB up 1-0 right now. Cincinnati almost scored a great goal on a set but shot was saved. Probably would have made SC Top 10.

- I feel like you need to get these young guys as much good international expercience as you can before the next WC.

Reactions: O-Ville_CAT_FAN
Something is just a tad off with how FCC plays....can't p it my finger on it but something isn't completely right

Lack of chemistry given that most of these players just met their teammates and coach a little over 3 months ago.

574e3eb4c84cc.jpg
http://startingeleven.co.uk/user-formation/103839

This is the best I've felt about the USMNT in a while. I think they are finally starting to click. Wood has impressed me, hopefully he can keep it up going into Copa America. Pulisic coming on as a sub is a big help!

U.S. team is terrible, very poorly coaches. Guzan is not a World Cup caliber goalkeeper and the fact that our ability to score hinges upon Dempsey and Bradley still well it shows how little progress kilnsman has made

U.S. team is terrible, very poorly coaches. Guzan is not a World Cup caliber goalkeeper and the fact that our ability to score hinges upon Dempsey and Bradley still well it shows how little progress kilnsman has made

Don't necessarily agree with that at all....Dempsey scored exactly 0 goals in our 4 warm up games for Copa America. Dempsey has 1 goal in his last 12 caps for USMNT. Bradley is a huge key in the central midfield role but he is one of our best diverting balls forward. Our goals as of late are coming from Wood, Zardes, Pulisic, Bedoya, Nagbe as far as offensive players are concerned. Don't think we rely on Dempsey at all....I know he is only 17, but there are things Pulisic can do Dempsey never has been able to do. Pulisic is getting consistent first team run for the 2nd best team in Germany. Could Dempsey get that? I doubt it . Wood was sold to Hamburger to be their starting striker this coming year in the Bundesliga. And you are leaving out a guy like Jordan Morris, And Johansson as well as Julian Green and Jozy. I actually think we are getting away from relying on Dempsey...

I mean everyone is on the Klinsmann hate train....teams go through fits of bad form. No one stays in form...even at club level....Barca had 5 games that they looked awful. Costa Rica got hot for the World Cup, now they are sucking, Ecuador was a really hot team when we just played them and were ranked 11th with wins over the likes of Argentina, Paraguay Uruguay, tied Brazil, tied Colombia.....thats 4 top 10 teams outside of Paraguay and we just beat them when they were most definitely in form. A huge amount of people were not even picking the USMNT to get a point in our world cup group....and we got out and could have been the first to punch their ticket to the knockout round. We then beat a world champion German side at their place in which they played 10 of 11 of their world cup starting 11. We then win at the Netherlands....both never done before. The gold cup was disappointing, no doubt...and so was the Mexico/Guatemala....but that's football for you....it happens. I have my question with Jurgen tactically but what he has done for you youth system cannot be quantified. That's what his best quality is. Guess who was the guy who identified and called up/developed Thomas Mueller, Ozil, Reus, Kroos, Schurrle, Hummels, Boateng, Sane, Draxler,....... yup Klinsmann.....if we were to decide to go in a different direction I hope to god we keep Klinsmann as a technical director.

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
I love watching soccer. I usually watch 2-3 games a week. I also love playing FIFA online. What I can't stand is "football" (instead of soccer) wannabes from the US who use euro terms like pitch (instead of field), training (instead of practice), fitness (instead of in shape/out of shape), match or fixture (instead of game), form (instead of playing good/bad), table (instead of standings), pace (instead of speed), nil (instead of zero), etc. You should just go the extra mile and use the terms wanker, flat, bloke, bloody, arse, bollocks, etc. And yes I'm talking to you BigBlueSean...you're from Kentucky bud.

Don't think we rely on Dempsey at all....I know he is only 17, but there are things Pulisic can do Dempsey never has been able to do. Pulisic is getting consistent first team run for the 2nd best team in Germany. Could Dempsey get that? I doubt it . .

Dempsey is well past his prime at this point, but get real. He is the most successful US outfield player of all time. He was outstanding at Fulham for a few years and if things had worked out differently (i.e., if he had gone to Europe earlier in his career) I think he could have been successful at Tottenham or some other "big" club in the EPL. Pulisic certainly has the chance to be better but at this point he's only played in a couple of Bundesliga games. He's got a long way to go before being on the level that Dempsey has been.

I love watching soccer. I usually watch 2-3 games a week. I also love playing FIFA online. What I can't stand is "football" (instead of soccer) wannabes from the US who use euro terms like pitch (instead of field), training (instead of practice), fitness (instead of in shape/out of shape), match or fixture (instead of game), form (instead of playing good/bad), table (instead of standings), pace (instead of speed), nil (instead of zero), etc. You should just go the extra mile and use the terms wanker, flat, bloke, bloody, arse, bollocks, etc. And yes I'm talking to you BigBlueSean...you're from Kentucky bud.

That stuff doesn't really bother me so much. Maybe because I hear it so much watching the BPL on NBCSN. I just think of it as people using slang that go along with the sport.

See I disagree.... What I don't like is how US teams call themselves Football Clubs. They are franchises, not clubs. But as to your point with the vernacular.... that's what it is referred to. That's the sports name, and vocabulary used not just in England but ever country in the world. Its not a field, its a pitch. Its been called "pace, fitness, training" etc for near 200+ years in every country it is played in. I don't get why so many people are so against that and want to "Americanize the vocabulary". Go anywhere in the world and say the world soccer and you are going to be looked at as a total idiot. Some/Many casual fans have the thought process you have but if you have ever played the sport at any sort of advanced level they use those same words. Just saw and interview with Dempsey where he said his "fitness" was lacking but he enjoys being on the "pitch" too much to rest. I don't get why this country feels the need to put an "american stamp" on the worlds most popular game.

Do other countries change what a basketball court or baseball field is called? Or any other terms dealing with the sport? No, they simply adopt the terms used here in America because its an "american born sport". Why cant we do the same with football/futbol?

because Americans are better than everyone else and what we say goes? Seems like the correct answer to me. Wanna use European terms? Then move to Europe.

They arent just "european terms" lol. They are WORLD terms. And LOL at "Americans are better than everyone else and what we say goes.....You sound like Donald Trump.

Your lineup is pretty light on defense. Would be cruising for a bruising against Colombia with that setup, though we may be anyway I'm afraid. Also you left out Bedoya who is a lock to start, as he should be.

When does Kentucky Football start their training on the paddock? We need to be in good form in order to move up the SEC Table. Hopefully with our upgraded talent, we'll have a few clean sheets on defense. And with our new QB, we should have better pace on Offense.

Yes. They use the language, dialects and regionally-specific vocabulary of their country.

They may speak in a different language or dialect but a basketball court is still called a basketball court...practice is practice, traveling is traveling, dribbling is dribbling..... etc

Your lineup is pretty light on defense. Would be cruising for a bruising against Colombia with that setup, though we may be anyway I'm afraid. Also you left out Bedoya who is a lock to start, as he should be.

Never understood the Bedoya hype.... still dont get it.

They may speak in a different language or dialect but a basketball court is still called a basketball court...practice is practice, traveling is traveling, dribbling is dribbling..... etc
No, it's not. The action may be the same, the object may be the same, but the words for those things are not necessarily related from language to language and country to country. The word for the playing surface in Spain and Mexico may be two different words, not related to the word 'pitch'. You don't have to use the vocabulary of the country of origin to describe what is happening.

Have to side with Sean here on the terminology thing. Why would you not use the accepted world vernacular when describing all the pieces and parts of the sport.

I know that I do, of course that could also be that most of my coworkers are in Spain and they keep me in check when the topic turns to soccer.....which is often.;)

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Never understood the Bedoya hype.... still dont get it.
Well, just for example, if you were watching the Bolivia friendly he set up the first two goals with perfect balls. He brings quality and instinct that stand out IMO, not to mention excellent workrate. Clearly he is one of Jurgen's main guys. Makes a better midfield option than Bobby Wood I think. o_O

Well, just for example, if you were watching the Bolivia friendly he set up the first two goals with perfect balls. He brings quality and instinct that stand out IMO, not to mention excellent workrate. Clearly he is one of Jurgen's main guys. Makes a better midfield option than Bobby Wood I think. o_O

Well Bobby really isnt a midfielder and him and Bedoya dont play in the same roles. And no offense, its Boliva who ranks 84th in the world.... He didnt do much at all against Ecuador... The problem is there is a logjam at winger and forward. You have Dempsey, Zardes, Altidore (even though he is hurt), Wood, Pulisic, Wondo.... Its hard to get the best players on the field. Zardes IMO needs to play Forward... he is lost out wide or in the midfield. Wood is a much better ST than a winger, but he brings an added dimension to our attack when he is on the field. I mean is Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Beckerman going to even be on the 2018 World Cup teams? Thats the ultimate goal....and that is why I hope Jurgen really allows the Pulisic's, Woods, and Nagbe's on the roster get a lot of time. We dont get another major tournament in 2017.... we didnt qualify for Confederation Cup. Get these guys some much needed experience....then you can implement them even more in world cup qualifying matches.... they are going to need it....they are IMO the crucial pieces going forward for Russia 2018.

So in the Group stages I got the USA going like this

Draw against Colombia - 1-1
Win against Costa Rica - 2-1
Draw against Paraguay - 2-2

2nd in Group

As far as who advances I got:

A:
1- Colombia
2- USA

B:
1- Brazil
2- Ecuador

C:
1- Mexico
2- Uruguay

D:
1- Argentina
2 - Chile

Knockout:

Colombia - Ecuador
USA - Brazil
Mexico - Chile
Argentina - Uruguay

Semis:

Colombia - Brazil
Chile - Argentina

Final:

Brazil - Chile

Champ - Chile

Well Bobby really isnt a midfielder and him and Bedoya dont play in the same roles. And no offense, its Boliva who ranks 84th in the world.... He didnt do much at all against Ecuador... The problem is there is a logjam at winger and forward. You have Dempsey, Zardes, Altidore (even though he is hurt), Wood, Pulisic, Wondo.... Its hard to get the best players on the field. Zardes IMO needs to play Forward... he is lost out wide or in the midfield. Wood is a much better ST than a winger, but he brings an added dimension to our attack when he is on the field. I mean is Clint Dempsey, Jermaine Jones, Beckerman going to even be on the 2018 World Cup teams? Thats the ultimate goal....and that is why I hope Jurgen really allows the Pulisic's, Woods, and Nagbe's on the roster get a lot of time. We dont get another major tournament in 2017.... we didnt qualify for Confederation Cup. Get these guys some much needed experience....then you can implement them even more in world cup qualifying matches.... they are going to need it....they are IMO the crucial pieces going forward for Russia 2018.

I know Wood isn't a midfielder but that's where you have him lined up in your original post. I agree with you about playing younger guys, but the bigger priority is just being competitive and getting results after a rough post-WC stretch. That's especially true for JK now that he's under some seemingly serious pressure for his job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT