ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

OK I am officially done lol. Listen I loved the Club in the early 2000s. They introduced me to the game. Robert Pires, Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry, Sol Campbell..... But this Arsenal is a shadow of what it used to be under the leadership of Stan Kroenke. First it was Arsene Wenger, which i did not have a problem with. Then went president Ivan Gazidis to join far worse off AC Milan. Now, Sven Mislintat, director of player personnel and head of recruitment is gone due to differences in transfer strategy because the club refused to give money and said any deal had to be a loan deal to do anything in January. Its been fun, but this current leadership is ass. They have no desire to win. And with that I now take my allegiance to Man City due mainly to Pep Guardiola and his tactical an aesthetic way his teams play.

#FromGunnertoCityzen

#F%^#Arsenal

Good. Eat $#!T and DIAF.

Signed,

Arsenal fan who's seen Arsenal play at the Emirates and Sunderland.

Take your fake ass fandom anywhere else.

Got the family (my daughter is a big soccer fan) USWNT tickets to the SheBelieves Cup against England in Nashville.

I grew up around Nashville and know the area well....and have been to several Titan games. However, I haven't been for a soccer event there. Any traditions that I should know about? Any place/restaurants/etc that you've taken your family? I'm going to try to get some scarves for the family......where do y'all usually buy?

We're gonna be in the North End Zone.......I'm hoping it'll be a good game. Shebelieves cup against a quality opponent just a few months before the WC begins. You don't think they'll want to rest everyone do you?

Good. Eat $#!T and DIAF.

Signed,

Arsenal fan who's seen Arsenal play at the Emirates and Sunderland.

Take your fake ass fandom anywhere else.

I've seen Arsenal play at Highbury buddy. This current club isnt a shadow of what it used to be. Arsenal will never return to where they should be with Kroenke at the helm. Wenger was part of the issue, but he was much more of a symptom than the actual issue itself.

Kane out a few months, Chelsea and Arsenal struggling. Man U on a roll. Picks for Top 4 end of year?

Not only is Kane out but Tottenham also lose Son for the rest of the year basically. Goals will be hard to come by for them.

1) Man City
2) Liverpool
3) Chelsea
4) Man United
5) Tottenham
6) Arsenal

That's ugliest team logo around. As bland as their unis. At least Gunners' meant gunners.

The Carolina Blues don't win because of Pep. They win on the most
£'s spent. Let him win with half the salaries he has & I'll believe you.

No one is winning in the modern game without spending money. But Money didn't turn the likes of Raheem Sterling, John Stones, Fabian Delph and Fernandinho into the studs they are now. I know they bought Stones but Pep has worked WONDERS with him.... and made Raheem Sterling and Fernandinho arguably the best at their position in the EPL and world for that matter.

I literally don't understand the money argument. You aint winning solely on your academy anymore. Even Barcelona and the vaunted La Masia are far more about buying teams now:

41 million for Malcom
36 million for Lenglet
41 million for Arthur
130 million for Coutinho
115 million for Dembele
40 million for Paulinho
39 million for Semedo

They got lucky and in 1 cycle got Iniesta, Xavi and Messi from their Academy. Their academy as of recent hasn't come close to replicating that production.

It is no coincidence that post 2010 Chelsea and Man City have dominated in league titles...with the 2 other years being won by Man U. They spend.

Money = Winning

but it requires the right coach... much like Real Madrid learned and Man U is now learning.

Here is what people have to understand about me when it comes to sport fandom and really anything in general. I am an adversarial person. I truly have no real allegiance to anything. I've always kind of marched to my own beat. Kentucky and the LA Lakers are on the real the only two teams I care about. You could put USC up there too but it is kind of a distant third. I truly like players far more than teams. I became a San Francisco fan not because they won with Harbaugh or had a history, but mainly because at a time everyone hated Terrell Owens, I liked him. I take positions mostly just to get under peoples skin. Rooting for a team like the Bengals or Browns for an entire lifetime that facilitates mostly misery is baffling to me and just isn't me. But hey to each their own. I appreciate talent, tactical astuteness from coaches, and personalities. Sorry If it pisses you off I have no true "fandom". But please don't twist that as a personal indictment to my own character. It's only sports. Life is completely different. But go on take your shot lol--- I don't care in the least... I am comfy in my own skin.

I'm literally the person that will wear any fan gear you give me--- except Duke. Never Duke.

So what do we have this summer as far as international competitions?

Definitely know its a Gold Cup year--- Would be 2 in a row for US. Last one though doesnt matter because Mexico and Costa Rica didnt play their big boys. First year the CONCACAF Nations League determines 10 spots. As it sits now with 1 matchday remaining the other 10 teams other than Hexagonal participants would be: Curacao, Haiti, Canada, Cuba, Jamaica, Martinique, Bermuda, Guyana, Saint Kitts and Nevis and the Dominican republic. Its a very tight race though 20 teams within striking distance for 10 spots.

Then you have the Womens World Cup - I actually like France in France this year. But our womens team has looked dominant of late.

Also have Copa America in Brazil I think with them inviting Japan and Qatar--- Dumbest thing ever. Still dont know who the TV Rights for Copa America will be. Hope its not BeIN Sports. Fox Sports has the Gold Cup which goes on at the same time so Fox cant carry both. Will be interesting to see.

Seems to be a VERY active January Transfer window so far:

Gonzalo Higuain to Chelsea
Krzysztof Piatek to AC Milan (Looks to be the Polish heir to Lewandowski)
Mario Balotelli to Marseille
Kevin Prince Boateng to Barcelona
Christian Pulisic to Chelsea (remains on loan at Dortmund)
Cesc Fabregas to AS Monaco
Brahim Diaz to Real Madrid
Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona (remains on loan to AJAX this year)
Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich
Benjamin Pavard to Bayern Munich
Tim Weah to Celtic - (GREAT move IMO)

Rumors:

Leando Parades to PSG
and the newest one suggests PSG will buy Napoli midfielder Allan for over $100 million

Barcelona's midfield looks nasty for the future, nice mix of youth and experience:

Frenkie De Jong -21
Ivan Rakitic - 30
Arthur Melo - 22
Sergio Busquettes - 30
Sergi Samper - 24
Arturo Vidal - 31
Riqui Puig - 19
Philippe Coutinho - 26
Carles Alena - 21
Rafinha - 25
Oriol Busquettes - 20
Kevin Prince-Boateng - 31

A bit excessive---but more power to them.

I also need me some UCL to start soon

But for the first rounds I got:

PSG over Man U (but very close)
Porto over Roma
Dortmund over Tottenham
Ajax over Real Madrid (surprise)
Bayern/Liverpool for me is a toss up
Barca over Lyon
Man City over Shalke
Juve over Atletico Madrid (close)

Yo just found this thread...Liverpool fan here. Look forward to talking with y'all

Anyone playing Fifa mobile 19??

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Pretty good game for a January camp game. Like the 3 in the back idea. With out lack of quality at the FB position and depth at CB it makes sense. Zimmerman is a good ball playing CB. And I like Lima. His cross for the 2nd goal was a peach.

Wow Man City shit the bed yesterday at Newcastle. As a Liverpool fan obviously Im thrilled.

Oh and Bigsean
You said Son dor Tottenham was out the rest of the year basically?? He is already back from the Asian cup and will play there next game. And he's fit. So how is he out the rest of the year??

Anyway, hope my Reds can win the next one and widen that gap...been a long time and desperately need a league title.

Oh, cant wait for the UCL to crank back up. Watch out for Lyon....they are gonna take Barca out!!

FCC MLS Cup odds to win are 60/1. Lower than all of Orlando, Minnesota, NE, Colorado, San Jose

Wow Man City shit the bed yesterday at Newcastle. As a Liverpool fan obviously Im thrilled.

Oh and Bigsean
You said Son dor Tottenham was out the rest of the year basically?? He is already back from the Asian cup and will play there next game. And he's fit. So how is he out the rest of the year??

Anyway, hope my Reds can win the next one and widen that gap...been a long time and desperately need a league title.

I went by what someone told me about the Asian Cup... which was obviously wrong. Was told the tourney was not over until March. Still crazy that Qatar beat South Korea too.

I thought our USMNT game against Panama looked decent. There were some brilliant combinations...

Good to see something different. Not sold it works for teams outside of Panama... but we will see.

I actually dont mind the back 3 idea though with our lack of quality fullbacks.

Good to see something different. Not sold it works for teams outside of Panama... but we will see.

I actually dont mind the back 3 idea though with our lack of quality fullbacks.

I liked how we had a trailer coming into the top of the box. Usually there's a hole that opens up after the front line clears it out. That young white Mihailovic (I have no idea about spelling) had a goal and another good chance or two.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
I also like Zardes playing.....always thought he had good potential, but I'm not 100% sold on him as the 9. We really could use a good striker.

Loved our new goalie though. Looked very good.

I sort of viewed the game the other night like you would a Spring Game in football...based on the competitive level of the opponent you can only derive some fundamental things from it. We haven't had a cogent 10 in years (and even then, Claudio Reyna was an 8)...Mihailovic has skills despite the wreck of a knee injury he had in the playoffs in '17 as an 18 year old. Having someone like he and Alex Mendez as teen pros as 10s in your pool is sort of exciting stuff.

I sort of viewed the game the other night like you would a Spring Game in football...based on the competitive level of the opponent you can only derive some fundamental things from it. We haven't had a cogent 10 in years (and even then, Claudio Reyna was an 8)...Mihailovic has skills despite the wreck of a knee injury he had in the playoffs in '17 as an 18 year old. Having someone like he and Alex Mendez as teen pros as 10s in your pool is sort of exciting stuff.

Agree It is going to be interesting to see how we sort a midfield out between Adams, McKennie, Durkin, Carleton, Acosta, and others... The Gold Cup will tell us a ton. I do really like Mihailovic. and you still have some guys to pull from in Bradley, Nguyen, Kljestian, Nagbe, Trapp, Arriola, , Delgado, Hyndman and others. If I had to pick an 11 today for the Gold Cup id go:

3-1-4-2:

Steffen
Miazga, Brooks, Ream/Cameron
Adams
Pulisic, McKennie, Bradley, Bello
Sargent, Weah

Adams and McKennie can put the work in the middle of the park to free Bradley up to do what he does best, which is a ball playing midfielder. Then with Bello, Sargent, Pulisic and Weah you have a ton of pace and technical ability as well as creativity to get goals.

It is indeed. With the Spurs injuries, Man u resurgence, Chelsea got Higuain, Arsenal got Saurez...gonna be a good finish indeed

It is indeed. With the Spurs injuries, Man u resurgence, Chelsea got Higuain, Arsenal got Saurez...gonna be a good finish indeed

At first I was really disappointed in the fact that Arsenal only signed Denis Suarez but a buddy kind of talk some sense into me. He made the point that the vast majority of defensive players that we are interested in are playing on teams that have Horton futures in European competitions. We like the Akanji dude for Dortmund and Eder Militao for Porto and Skinrar for Inter but all of those dudes are in the champions league or are in battle for champions league spots in the league so of course those teams aren't going to be willing to sell in the winter window. We effectively got a replacement if Ramsey doesn't decide to resign and it's a person who can play on both wings and center and it's what's your positions that we need players. but the summer should be interesting for Arsenal because we have one of the best attacks in the premier league and just need our own version of Virgil Van dijk and a very good center midfielder and we can be right there challenging for a league title. I believe Auba has the most goals in the premier league this year and I really like when we play him and lacazette at the same time. I also wouldn't mind in the summer buying the kid from Bournemouth that is from Wales. I think his last name is Brooks. He is Soo good. Was the best player on the pitch against Chelsea.

Yep its David Brooks I believe and he is damn good. Arsenal just dont have the money to buy a great central defender right now. They could only take players on loan in Jan as they had no funds to ouright buy. Which sounds crazy. Ole Stan needs to stay outta the kitty. The reason I chose Liverpool a few years ago instead of Arsenal, ownership.

But I agree, Arsenal have to get a world vlass defender this summer to compete for titles again. I just have no faith in Stan. Im a Red Sox fan and know Liverpool are in good hands.

I mean Stan is a owner of The LA Rams, Denver Nuggets who are nothing doing well...

I’m confused I thought you gave up on Arsenal. Not trying to be an ass but why submit a long winded post about how you are switching to city and that you are a front runner bandwagon fan then go back to acting like you cheer for the gunners again.

I’m confused I thought you gave up on Arsenal. Not trying to be an ass but why submit a long winded post about how you are switching to city and that you are a front runner bandwagon fan then go back to acting like you cheer for the gunners again.

1) I was just being dramatic mainly lol Arsenal does that to ya

2) My heart lies with Bergkamp and Henry... And I'm actually a big fan of Unai Emery as a manager .

Been really looking forward to the return of the Champions league... I thought teams would've separated themselves now but it's like the opposite has happened:

Man City: Not a good run of form. Lost to Newcatle. Just seems like something is off.

Liverpool: Odd draw with Leicester but probably one of the most consistent.

Man U: Completely different team than under Mourinho. On win streak but got extremely lucky to draw Burnley at home. Still a very flawed team.

Tottenham: Can you trust them to win anything of merit?

Barca: Barely squeaking out wins against Valencia and the issue is while they have Messi we really don't know how good Barca really is.

Real Madrid: Very poor year so far. Very flawed and inconsistent.

Juventus: Should've lost to Lazio. Was pounded by Atalanta in copa Italia, and then gave up a 3 goal lead in 20 min today to Parma.

Atletico Madrid: Just far too inconsistent. Can beat or lose to anyone on any day. Plus they must bank on Morata coming good.

Dortmund: Young but talented. But I just don't know the players are ready and can perform on the biggest of stages.

Bayern: Got dominated by Leverkusen and trail quite a bit in Bundesliga. World class players everywhere but it just doesn't seem to fit.

Roma: Got beat 7-1 by Fiorentina and have been struggling all year in Serie A.

Lyon: this IS the team to keep an eye on IMO. Reminds me ofothe AS Monaco team that made a seminfinal. Lots of young talent in that squad. Bad defensively. But get a plethora of goals. And goals win in UCL. They also took 4 pts from 2 legs against Man City.

PSG- No Neymar. May be without Veratti. Signed Paredes and have the weird crap going on with Rabiot. Plus the fact they play scrubs in the French league.

This is the most wide open I can ever remember the UCL. Should be fun to watch.

I agree Shawn, I like Lyon a lot. They will give Barca hell...they have some great young talent in Ndomblee, Aour, Fekir, Depay, Demblee, Traoe, very talented and playing as a team.

Im scared for my Liverpool. Two draws in a row and not scoring much. The front 3 is great, but need goals elsewhere. Be nice to get Ox back, he was added to the roster. Wish they wouldve signed Timo Werner to give the front 3 a nice rotation and rest.

Anyone but Real and Barca and Im good though. Hopefully Liverpool, Lyon, Atletico or Dortmund or Juve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT