ADVERTISEMENT

USA soccer

Reyna’s dad is one of my all time favorite US players.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Claudio Reyna is by all accounts a good guy, but my gods, watching the games with him as attacking central mid was brutal. He was where every U.S. counterattack went to die. Terrible field vision and sense of timing; always wanted to slow things up when sometimes you gotta press the tempo. Anyway, apologies for the aside.

P.S.- I will add, in all fairness, he did a superb job in the 2002 WC round of 16 marking Mexico's Luis Hernandez out of existence.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Claudio Reyna is by all accounts a good guy, but my gods, watching the games with him as attacking central mid was brutal. He was where every U.S. counterattack went to die. Terrible field vision and sense of timing; always wanted to slow things up when sometimes you gotta press the tempo. Anyway, apologies for the aside.

P.S.- I will add, in all fairness, he did a superb job in the 2002 WC round of 16 marking Mexico's Luis Hernandez out of existence.
How can you disagree he was one of my favorite players? Best I can tell you are disagreeing that he is one of USA’s greatest players. Just out of curiosity and checking my own personal bias, he is top 10 or even top 5 on every list I looked at.

Ok, soccer crazies. Got an interesting question for ya.......

How long before a World Cup begins do we find out when and where teams will play?

Here is why I'm asking. The 2026 WC is coming to North America. I would love to take my kids to experience a WC game.......or games. I would love to take them to a USMNT game......but if that's not possible, any good match-up will do.

I just wondered how long before a WC games begins do you have to make travel plans and purchase tickets? Do you have scramble about a wk or so before hand? Or do you have several wks to plan to take off work, etc.?

Certainly, I'll be watching the upcoming games in Qatar to get an idea......but I wondered if some of y'all uber fans would know off hand.

Ok, soccer crazies. Got an interesting question for ya.......

How long before a World Cup begins do we find out when and where teams will play?

Here is why I'm asking. The 2026 WC is coming to North America. I would love to take my kids to experience a WC game.......or games. I would love to take them to a USMNT game......but if that's not possible, any good match-up will do.

I just wondered how long before a WC games begins do you have to make travel plans and purchase tickets? Do you have scramble about a wk or so before hand? Or do you have several wks to plan to take off work, etc.?

Certainly, I'll be watching the upcoming games in Qatar to get an idea......but I wondered if some of y'all uber fans would know off hand.
Well one question is how many of the 16 pods will play in each country. I'd guess 2 in Canada, 4-5 in MX, and 9-T here.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Well one question is how many of the 16 pods will play in each country. I'd guess 2 in Canada, 4-5 in MX, and 9-T here.

Yeah, there are still a lot of unknowns to be sure. I just wondered when 2026 rolls around if I'm going to have about 3 days to buy tickets, book a hotel, buy plane fair, etc..........or if I'll have a month......

GOALKEEPERS (3):
  • Ethan Horvath – Nottingham Forest
  • Zack Steffen – Manchester City
  • Matt Turner – New England Revolution
DEFENDERS (10):
  • George Bello – Atlanta United
  • John Brooks – Wolfsburg
  • Sergiño Dest – Barcelona
  • Mark McKenzie – Genk
  • Tim Ream – Fulham
  • Antonee Robinson – Fulham
  • Miles Robinson – Atlanta United
  • James Sands – New York City FC
  • DeAndre Yedlin – Galatasaray
  • Walker Zimmerman – Nashville SC
MIDFIELDERS (5):
  • Kellyn Acosta – Colorado Rapids
  • Tyler Adams – RB Leipzig
  • Sebastian Lletget – LA Galaxy
  • Weston McKennie – Juventus
  • Cristian Roldan – Seattle Sounders
FORWARDS (8):
  • Brenden Aaronson – RB Salzburg
  • Konrad de la Fuente – Olympique Marseille
  • Jordan Pefok – BSC Young Boys
  • Ricardo Pepi – FC Dallas
  • Christian Pulisic – Chelsea
  • Gio Reyna – Borussia Dortmund
  • Josh Sargent – Norwich City
  • Tim Weah – Lille
So why so few midfielders?

I think people need to remember that our “a” team hasn’t played much together in the last two years. Maybe 3 weeks total. They will improve a ton over this three game window me through the next window.

El Salvador played together all summer. We only had our “a” group together for 2+ weeks for nations league

I think people need to remember that our “a” team hasn’t played much together in the last two years. Maybe 3 weeks total. They will improve a ton over this three game window me through the next window.

El Salvador played together all summer. We only had our “a” group together for 2+ weeks for nations league

Come on dude, there were 3 points there for the taking. Great chance yesterday to be on top of the group, and now we are mired in the middle.
Every other game is gonna get tougher so I hope you are right.

Come on dude, there were 3 points there for the taking. Great chance yesterday to be on top of the group, and now we are mired in the middle.
Every other game is gonna get tougher so I hope you are right.
Well sure. We missed two point blank headers. But I think we will look better and better as qualifying continues

Canadá will be a tough match Sunday. @honduras will be no walk in the park either. I thought we had crossed the hump but now idk. Very disjointed. Definitely did not look like a too 10 team last night.

A draw with El Salvador may come back to haunt us. We don’t want another Trinidad incident having to play at Costa Rica in the last qualifier to go to Qatar. Trust me US soccer does not want that. Mr. Navas is not the guy you wanna face with it all on the line.

Well another egg laid by the USMNT.
2 points out of probably the two easiest games.
Everything else will be more difficult moving forward and Berhalter doesn't seem to have a friggin clue. A must needed 3 points and you don't substitute until the 80th minute? He needs to sit his ass down on the bench and evaluate what needs to be done instead of standing right on the end line being a glorified cheerleader.

Yedlin shouldn't play again. Atrocious that he lost the Canuck on the wing that put the cross in the middle for their goal. Didn't even look at him/know he was there. Seriously, that's grade school sh!t.

Berhalter’s tactics and patterns of play are basic. We don’t have the dynamic MF to continue playing a 4-3-3 against teams that will sit behind the ball.

The problem was Earnie Stewart hiring Berhalter in the first place. Now we’re stuck with him and don’t have great options if we need to make a change.

I sincerely don’t think USMNT qualifies with Berhalter in charge. Hope I’m wrong, but nothing in the first 2 games gives me any hope.

Yedlin shouldn't play again. Atrocious that he lost the Canuck on the wing that put the cross in the middle for their goal. Didn't even look at him/know he was there. Seriously, that's grade school sh!t.
Calling Davies “the Canuck” doesn’t seem right. He is or soon will be world class. Anyway, that was bad by Yedlin but Brooks’ ball watching on that play was just as bad. The result was disappointing but more worrisome to me was that we really didn’t look any better than Canada.

Reactions: Catman100

thats the best left back in the world and brooks completely lost his mark. Should have been an easy clearance.

Well another egg laid by the USMNT.
2 points out of probably the two easiest games.
Everything else will be more difficult moving forward and Berhalter doesn't seem to have a friggin clue. A must needed 3 points and you don't substitute until the 80th minute? He needs to sit his ass down on the bench and evaluate what needs to be done instead of standing right on the end line being a glorified cheerleader.

two easiest games? Huh?

we have 12 more. El Salvador is probably the 2nd toughest road game the entire cycle in terms of environment. Hondaurus won’t be that tough. Might be a little better team.

at Canada, because of their absurd Covid protocols won’t be a full house. That was probably the second toughest home game for us the entire cycle. Canada is solidly the third best team in the region.

instill think a big part of our issue is lack of familiarity between our “a” team. Have only been together for 4 weeks the last two years.

two easiest games? Huh?

we have 12 more. El Salvador is probably the 2nd toughest road game the entire cycle in terms of environment. Hondaurus won’t be that tough. Might be a little better team.

at Canada, because of their absurd Covid protocols won’t be a full house. That was probably the second toughest home game for us the entire cycle. Canada is solidly the third best team in the region.

instill think a big part of our issue is lack of familiarity between our “a” team. Have only been together for 4 weeks the last two years.

honduras is by far better than El Salvador. Have you been to Honduras? Unless it’s roatan Honduras makes El Salvador seem like candy land. The only issue I see being different is if they limit fan participation due to the virus which I doubt.

as for berhalter in this game it doesn’t matter the depth if you have the roster inconsistency we’ve had you’re gonna have problems. Berhalter could have made some decisions differently to give us a bit more chance but each game has been a patch work of individual players and not a team.

dest he’s headcase. He pulled a Simon biles but at least he complain about something else. He thinks he’s a notch above these guys and they make a mistake he doesn’t trust them. Friggin dest doesn’t give up the ball at that point. He holds it and loses it. Until he figures out how to be a proper teammate they need to find 4 guys in the back who will play together.

mckennie isn’t serious about the game. Until he’s ready to put the team first keep him away. I don’t get it with him. That’s 2 elite players right there who mentally have to fix things. When you have a team go headcase like some of these guys.

it makes me wonder about reina, and some of the other guys.

I could break down the entire team but it doesn’t matter. They have to find a way with this roster to beat Honduras. Someone alluded to the 4-3-3 being basic. Or at least how we run it. Really each of these guys need defined roles that’s why we have to run a simple set. We won’t be able to run that 4-3-3 against Honduras. Too many times there was a big gap between the defenders and our mf. Honduras is built on the counter and they will smash us in the gap.

I suggest we do this
Both robinsons ream and brooks in the back. I would keep these guys as close to their comfort zone as possible.

one holding mf Acosta

3 attacking mf llget pulisic adams

2 front runners pefok/Aronson

4-1-3-2. there may be some better options like adams or sargent (I think sargent late in a locked match). I would play physical, try to get corners and free kicks and make the most of them. Honduras is gonna roll and writhe wasting time. May as well punch them in the mouth every time.

honduras is by far better than El Salvador. Have you been to Honduras? Unless it’s roatan Honduras makes El Salvador seem like candy land. The only issue I see being different is if they limit fan participation due to the virus which I doubt.

as for berhalter in this game it doesn’t matter the depth if you have the roster inconsistency we’ve had you’re gonna have problems. Berhalter could have made some decisions differently to give us a bit more chance but each game has been a patch work of individual players and not a team.

dest he’s headcase. He pulled a Simon biles but at least he complain about something else. He thinks he’s a notch above these guys and they make a mistake he doesn’t trust them. Friggin dest doesn’t give up the ball at that point. He holds it and loses it. Until he figures out how to be a proper teammate they need to find 4 guys in the back who will play together.

mckennie isn’t serious about the game. Until he’s ready to put the team first keep him away. I don’t get it with him. That’s 2 elite players right there who mentally have to fix things. When you have a team go headcase like some of these guys.

it makes me wonder about reina, and some of the other guys.

I could break down the entire team but it doesn’t matter. They have to find a way with this roster to beat Honduras. Someone alluded to the 4-3-3 being basic. Or at least how we run it. Really each of these guys need defined roles that’s why we have to run a simple set. We won’t be able to run that 4-3-3 against Honduras. Too many times there was a big gap between the defenders and our mf. Honduras is built on the counter and they will smash us in the gap.

I suggest we do this
Both robinsons ream and brooks in the back. I would keep these guys as close to their comfort zone as possible.

one holding mf Acosta

3 attacking mf llget pulisic adams

2 front runners pefok/Aronson

4-1-3-2. there may be some better options like adams or sargent (I think sargent late in a locked match). I would play physical, try to get corners and free kicks and make the most of them. Honduras is gonna roll and writhe wasting time. May as well punch them in the mouth every time.

Adams isn't an attacking midfielder. He's a 6.

GGG screwed up this roster bad. I think Dest was playing really well in against Canada. Was winning balls, outside of his whiff early he was locking Davies down. He was passing and moving much better and looked very threatening.

I'm disapointed in Mckennie. IT seems all of the things Jueventes have said about him are true. Seems like a fun kid, but he's got judgement issues.

The problem with replacing GGG is that we have no training time in these windows. A new coach would have no time to implement a new system.

I think we should go to a 5 in the back system. None of our fullbacks are particularly good defenders. Yedlin is the exception.

We've got a glut of good center backs. Get three of them on the field. If we can't count on McKennie You can start Adams and Acosta or Adams and Musah next cyble in the midfield. Put Dest and Robinson at the wing backs and then, here's an idea. Put puliisc, Aaronson and Reyna in the front three and have them play free without a true striker. You've also got guys like Konrad, Sargent, and others who can play in that front "non-striker" 3.

So rumors are rampant with mckennie… pulisic’s sister and him is the one that’s the most absurd

He was one of many dribbling too much into trouble, lackluster passing and zero lack of awareness where they were with the ball in space on the pitch. Other than that, looked good.

He was one of many dribbling too much into trouble, lackluster passing and zero lack of awareness where they were with the ball in space on the pitch. Other than that, looked good.
Assume you're talking about Dest. All true vs. el salvador. he was terrible against them. Against Canada he was probably our second or third best player while he was on the field. His screwup on the clearance was bad but he won numerous duals with davies.

So rumors are rampant with mckennie… pulisic’s sister and him is the one that’s the most absurd

Two others.

A. He crashed a bachelorette party in nashville
b. partied in el salvador the night before the game.

Who knows.. Probably went out in nashville. It's inexcusable and he should be punished and ashamed. But as a 22 year old he probably thought, "I've had covid and I'm vaccinated, these rules shouldn't apply to me".

Knucklehead hopefully learned his lesson

Assume you're talking about Dest. All true vs. el salvador. he was terrible against them. Against Canada he was probably our second or third best player while he was on the field. His screwup on the clearance was bad but he won numerous duals with davies.
No. He’s strong on the ball and if you don’t know what it looks like to play winning soccer dest may have looked good technically. He would beat a couple guys and lose the ball which had a terrible impact on the team. A couple of times dest beat the same guy twice. He delivered a nice pass to aronson that led to a scoring chance but besides that dest isn’t there yet.

dest is so connected to Barcelona and club that this is his priority. Honestly we may have 3-4 guys whose priority is their club. This is the American “soccer” mentality. Club over high school, club over college, club over country. These guys play for themselves not for something greater than themself. It’s the monster US soccer has created. It’s real simple pass and sprint off the ball. 1 and 2 touch unless there is a ton of space to run the ball.

I’m not give you my resume but I’ve coached at a high level for a long time. I’ve had players like dest many in fact some have played for our national teams. I will take that video tape of the game and show you how one guy can break down the entire team.

I’ll add this. I don’t know what berhalter was doing when he put together the roster. It doesn’t have depth. I used to coach Sam vines. Where the hell is he? He will run through a brick wall and showed it in gold cup. Hoppe? I know there are some transfers occurring in their clubs but this is what I’m talking about. You put club on hold and get to your national team. It happens everywhere else but the USA and it’s coddling of players, stroking egos, weak minded system. Berhalter is too close to the players and doesn’t command respect. I could type and bitch all day but US soccer is in this position because of the culture in the USA.

Honduras if you haven’t been there will be a difficult environment. Honduras national team knows how to get the absolute most from their players. With what we have going in this will be the most difficult of the three matches. We will need pulisic to be elite. We ll need to capitalize on set pieces and corners. If not we go home lucky to have a point.

Edit: my bad on Sam I just texted with one of his relatives and Sam is out with a broken collarbone.

Last edited:
No. He’s strong on the ball and if you don’t know what it looks like to play winning soccer dest may have looked good technically. He would beat a couple guys and lose the ball which had a terrible impact on the team. A couple of times dest beat the same guy twice. He delivered a nice pass to aronson that led to a scoring chance but besides that dest isn’t there yet.

dest is so connected to Barcelona and club that this is his priority. Honestly we may have 3-4 guys whose priority is their club. This is the American “soccer” mentality. Club over high school, club over college, club over country. These guys play for themselves not for something greater than themself. It’s the monster US soccer has created. It’s real simple pass and sprint off the ball. 1 and 2 touch unless there is a ton of space to run the ball.

I’m not give you my resume but I’ve coached at a high level for a long time. I’ve had players like dest many in fact some have played for our national teams. I will take that video tape of the game and show you how one guy can break down the entire team.

I’ll add this. I don’t know what berhalter was doing when he put together the roster. It doesn’t have depth. I used to coach Sam vines. Where the hell is he? He will run through a brick wall and showed it in gold cup. Hoppe? I know there are some transfers occurring in their clubs but this is what I’m talking about. You put club on hold and get to your national team. It happens everywhere else but the USA and it’s coddling of players, stroking egos, weak minded system. Berhalter is too close to the players and doesn’t command respect. I could type and bitch all day but US soccer is in this position because of the culture in the USA.

Honduras if you haven’t been there will be a difficult environment. Honduras national team knows how to get the absolute most from their players. With what we have going in this will be the most difficult of the three matches. We will need pulisic to be elite. We ll need to capitalize on set pieces and corners. If not we go home lucky to have a point.

Edit: my bad on Sam I just texted with one of his relatives and Sam is out with a broken collarbone.
Spot on post. I think Dest can be very good but he tries to dribble one too many times.
And I am quickly not becoming a fan of Berhalter. I am a big fan of players have to make some plays, but when it's not happening, you don't wait till the 80th minute to sub. That is bad coaching 101.

I would rather play at Canada than anywhere south of our border. You people disagreeing with that don't know how much south of the border teams live to play soccer. USA game will be their Super Bowl. Canada still cares a lot more about hockey than soccer.

ok. You are wrong about dest vs. Canada. But agree to disagree.

and you don’t keep up too much. Vines isn’t there because he’s settling into a New club.

ok. You are wrong about dest vs. Canada. But agree to disagree.

and you don’t keep up too much. Vines isn’t there because he’s settling into a New club.
Nah he’s injured. You missed where I pointed out he transferred but then texted one of his family members to find out why he didn’t go to the qualifiers. Did you read that? He has a shoulder injury break in the clavicle. But you make my point by expanding on perceived club duties. Having to be there when youre transfered in the beginning of august is a fallacy. Berhalter needs to call these guys like hoppe especially and vines if he was healthy. Forget about club they’re on hiatus. He babies these guys and is like a friend instead of a coach. Never seen so many people missing out on important matches from any national team like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT