ADVERTISEMENT

USA soccer

Agree on Ream. Didn't look bad to me. I thought Sargent was OK. Way better than Altidore ever dreamed of being. McKenzie to me looked lost, trying to develop 3 back system or not.

sargeant was ok but to get to the next level we need someone who can hold it and find midfielders so we can build an attack. There were time the defense wanted to posses the ball inside our own 18 with Mexico throwing high pressure. Mckenzie was the main culprit. I think it’s more an issue of him learning the system and finding chemistry with the other defenders the goalkeeper and the mids. He has the tools to be very good but right now it’s between the ears

Reactions: vhcat70
Add Kellyn Acosta to that list.
Kellyn Acosta played a pretty good game, and was the only player on the pitch who's never lost to Mexico, so your take is dumb. Not saying he should start when our best midfield options are all healthy and available, but his inclusion made sense, and was one of the more understandable lineup choices Berhalter made.

We can absolutely win this game. We finally have more talent than Mexico.
This, 100%, is why we won. And, while I'm ecstatic we won, it's nonetheless an indictment on Berhalter and his lineup choices and tactics that we could barely eke out a win over an average (for their historical talent level) Mexico squad. Mexico were missing some attacking players, and if Lainez had started for them, it could've been a different result.

Our defense was shambolic for much of the match, except for Brooks, who was usually solid. Pulisic was well nigh invisible for 95% of the match, but we're all very glad he was there for the other 5%. McKennie and Horvath were co-MVPs. McKennie should get the armband going forward, IMHO. Straight up baller.

Kellyn Acosta played a pretty good game, and was the only player on the pitch who's never lost to Mexico, so your take is dumb. Not saying he should start when our best midfield options are all healthy and available, but his inclusion made sense, and was one of the more understandable lineup choices Berhalter made.
False. In a 4-3-3, he is probably the worst choice possible for a lone CMF. He consistently dropped deep instead of taking a central position between McKinzie and Dest. This is the reason we were pinned in most of the 1H and could only resort to playing long to the front 3 and bypassing the MF.

This issue improved when he was moved to LB, which to be fair, was a huge improvement over Ream. But it was only when Tyler Adams came on that we actually moved the ball through the central channel and looked more threatening.

And not for nothing, he completely blew his mark on the 2nd Mexico goal that was disallowed.

He was awful most of the game. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure what the ideal USMNT lineup should be.

I'm an old school fan of the 4-2-3-1 which would probably be:

Steffen
Robinson - Brooks- Miazaga (Or any other CB) - Dest
Adams-McKennie
Pulisic
Reyna-Sargent-Right Winger

I think putting Pulisic and Reyna both on the wings hurts their potential impact/productivity. I also hope Dike is the long term answer at striker. Interested where he ends up this summer.

Do you not watch Chelsea? Pulisic is at his best when he is direct, running at defenders. He is not in good form right now. Probably gassed from long season.
Yes. He plays 1/2 the time when he's not hurt which is another half the time.

This, 100%, is why we won. And, while I'm ecstatic we won, it's nonetheless an indictment on Berhalter and his lineup choices and tactics that we could barely eke out a win over an average (for their historical talent level) Mexico squad. Mexico were missing some attacking players, and if Lainez had started for them, it could've been a different result.

Our defense was shambolic for much of the match, except for Brooks, who was usually solid. Pulisic was well nigh invisible for 95% of the match, but we're all very glad he was there for the other 5%. McKennie and Horvath were co-MVPs. McKennie should get the armband going forward, IMHO. Straight up baller.
Only thing I disagree with is that our talent is inexperienced at this level & so cut some slack vs. blaming Berhalter. I give him credit for recognizing these guys are the World Cup future core. Going forward, we should expect to beat MX more often than not. Yes, Brooks was the rock that everything else went out from.

Reactions: entropy13
Aside from Twitter this site and thread are the only places I can find active discussions and a post mortem on what was a fascinating matchup with Mexico; I came away with a thousand (and growing) impressions as it projects to WCQ:

1. For all of the slobbering the "tactics" Twitter crowd does over the mismatch between Tata Martino and Greg Berhalter...don't look now, but Mexico was forced to attack wide virtually the entirety of a game in a game where Tyler Adams didn't appear until ten minutes were left. Kellyn Acosta really is an 8 posing as a 6 because the prospect of Yuell in a game like this was horrifying. Some would say that the second Llanez came on and blistered Ream for pace...but Berhalter counter adjusted by getting Adams on, Ream off and sliding Acosta back to the LB position. A fascinating set of adjustments forced on Berhalter...but they worked.

2. Mexico really misses Raul Jimenez; they are playing Lozano practically out of position as a result and having two middling MLS wingers in Antuna (at LA for 2019) and Pullido (with Sporting KC) on must make the EuroSnobs among the USMNT fanbase practically giddy. Llanez has been hot garbage for Real Betis in Spain and looked like the most dangerous player on the field for 15 minutes of game time. El Tri to me looks a little vulnerable in late WCQ in much the same way the US was in 2017...they have some players that should be pressed out due to age like Chicarrito, Hector Herrera and Guardado...but their immediate needs in the interim waiting for quality 20 to 24 year olds to emerge look alot more immediate without an in their prime goal scoring threat like Jimenez.

3. What I love most about the core of the USMNT team--and that core is Pulisic, McKennie, Brooks, Reyna and Tyler Adams--is that there is a fearlessness to their collective play. Adams and McKennie are leaders in very different ways than Brooks; Pulisic is the type that wants the ball in the clutch whereas Reyna wants it at all times...and some of those times are when he decides to just peel back and get it.

...that said, Dest's game falls apart when he is on the left; his body language was bad and I think he is somebody that I fear will be like some of the GerMericans like Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler...his game doesn't retrofit into CONCACAF. His game is open and flowing; CONCACAF seeks to target that player and turn play into something resembling NHL playoff hockey or a street fight. You saw who stepped up into a street fighter Sunday night...and you also saw in the case of Dest in particular who didn't. Yedlin handled it and I think that's why he was on to begin with; Cannon came in and immediately got some blood in his mouth. The good is we don't HAVE to have Dest on the field as we suddenly have a dearth of backs, especially if Bryan Reynolds emerges. Dest has had a pretty rough last month, in part because his flaws are apparent and visible with the increase in playing time at Barcelona.

3. What I love most about the core of the USMNT team--and that core is Pulisic, McKennie, Brooks, Reyna and Tyler Adams--is that there is a fearlessness to their collective play. Adams and McKennie are leaders in very different ways than Brooks; Pulisic is the type that wants the ball in the clutch whereas Reyna wants it at all times...and some of those times are when he decides to just peel back and get it.
This, particularly McKennie. He absolutely takes no sh!t. Fearless.

Reactions: entropy13
They creamed Costa Rica last night with many 2nd line guys. Normally CR are one of the better teams north of South America.

3. What I love most about the core of the USMNT team--and that core is Pulisic, McKennie, Brooks, Reyna and Tyler Adams--is that there is a fearlessness to their collective play. Adams and McKennie are leaders in very different ways than Brooks;

And they're all really flippin young?!! I think the oldest guys are the CB's. I know we have a World Cup next yr, but if we can keep these young guys together and developing, the North American WC in 2026 might be really special.

Danmark's Erickson one lucky guy. Doubt he plays futbol again.

Good friend aged 73-74 at time had same thing happen playing tennis at a club. Life square emergency med tech playing on next court kept him going for 5-7 minutes or so with CPR till life squad arrived with defibrillator. Tech was young & built - only reason he could go so long. Friend Ok but was kept in coma for a week to avoid pressure on brain. He had no idea what the hell happened or that he'd been out so long. Couldn't believe it. They implanted a pacemaker/defib unit. Defib has gone off once in 4 years. Says he thought he'd been electrocuted. But he says otherwise he'd be dead.

Great start tonight. Hoppe to Dike for the opening goal.

Average age 23 years old and average Caps are 5.

Fill out depth with some young guys, no more Bradley/Altidore/etc.

Also, absolute shit crowd in KC.

No more crying about them not getting the Mexico Qualifier. Should be in Columbus again

Reactions: Comebakatz3
2-0.

Dike almost got it, Own Goal, but he's looking the part so far.

Really liking Busio also

I barely follow soccer…but why doesn’t Policic play for the US during this tourney?

Gold Cup is mostly B team members, especially in group stage. Berhalter CAN call in more A-team players when the knockout rounds start, not sure if he will. There's World Cup Qualifying coming up starting in September, and most of the Euro players need a holiday. This squad is mostly MLS guys. Very convoluted schedule this year.

I barely follow soccer…but why doesn’t Policic play for the US during this tourney?
Priority was placed on the “nations league” and we took our “a” team to that.
Most European teams have started their camps and he and our other best players are all with their European clubs now preparing for their season.
We used this tournament to call in our b/c teams to figure out who the last 3 or 4 guys are we will call in for the World Cup qualifiers this fall and next spring.

My guesstimate WC Roster as of now: (Subject to change)

GK:
Steffen
Horvath
Turner

D:
Dest
Brooks
McKenzie
A. Robinson
Yedlin
Zimmerman or Miazga
Richards
Cannon

MF:
Pulisic
Reyna
McKennie
Adams
Musah
Aaronson
Lletget
Weah
K. Acosta (Who I'm not a fan of but they need someone that can play behind Adams)

F:
Sargent
Dike
Zardes

Mark Anthony Kaye about to come in for Canada. Played for Louisville City few years ago

Once again, there is 1, MAYBE 2 players on the current Gold Cup squad who will be on the World Cup Roster.

Come on now...

USWNT catching a lot of crap for kneeling and then getting hammered by Sweden. Not all kneeled, but most did.
220707464_3107100216174539_1102472957570186560_n.png

Absolutely terrific game last night. Fun to watch with "nothing to lose". Even more fun to win in the fashion we did.

Tata is missing something in Mexico. I can't quite figure it out. I think they lack leadership on the field and "fight".

This is maybe the best summer in US Mens soccer history.

A group of very young but very talented guys made it through the nations league healthy and got to work together before WCQ. they won a trophy and felt success for the first time as a group

Took the pressure off of GGG to win the GOld cup so he called in a b/c team to figure out who the last 4 or 5 spots would be filled by and also identify injury replacements for the "a" team. Not only did he learn a lot about his roster but he also won a freaking gold cup against the a/b mexico team.

I was a critic of GGG but damn, these guys fight like hell for him in a way that we haven't seen in a long time...

Combine the talent we have with the fight we are showing and it's going to be a REALLY fun 18 months. TONS of games with WCQ in the next 9 months.

Absolutely terrific game last night. Fun to watch with "nothing to lose". Even more fun to win in the fashion we did.

I was a critic of GGG but damn, these guys fight like hell for him in a way that we haven't seen in a long time...
Is GGG related to Berhalter?

When watching it, I swore Robinson was offside when he scored, but Mex didn't complain, flag didn't go up, & no review. I guess the far, far side defender put him on.

Is GGG related to Berhalter?

When watching it, I swore Robinson was offside when he scored, but Mex didn't complain, flag didn't go up, & no review. I guess the far, far side defender put him on.

Yep. Chucky kept him on sides. His leg was even with Robinson's shoulder.

Robinson gambles on all set pieces betting that somebody will filching and put him onsides even though he always lines up offsides.

Acosta has always been good at free kicks. Wonderful at striking the ball. no idea why Lleget was the one taking most of our set pieces throughout the tournament.

Reyna will be our full time FK and Corner taker if he's health and playing he's MONEY on corners.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT