ADVERTISEMENT

USA soccer

he has to be with his club team and many other USA players for training camp.

We could have called in him and forced Chelsea to release him, but we prioritized the nations league over this tournament. Partially because of the timing. having our key players rested and in good spots with their clubs is much more important than the gold cup. Consider that a lot of the guys based in europe basically didn't have a break for the last year once they restarted last summer. They went from finishing the european seasons last summer after the shutdown straight into their preseason camps and then they came straight here for nations league camp and semis/finals. If they had played the gold cup they would have had almost no break going into their seasons in eurpoe, then an absolutely grueling season of european play, fly here once avery 6 weeks for 3 wcq games in 8 days and then fly back.

the Mexican federation's decision to keep players like Lozano, Hector Herrera (scumbag) and their other european based players over here for the gold cup is an awful one. They're beat up going into their club seasons with no break and will be back here in a month for world cup qualfying. They're going to hit a wall.

We had Hoppe here for the GOld cup because schalke likely asked for him to play with us betting he played well so they can hopefully sell him. I could see him getting sold to a Bundesliga team or a mid -table Premier League team. He's a beast.

Reactions: entropy13
Women’s team got their woke Ass sent home without a medal

they'll be playing for bronze.

They're old. I liken their situation to Spain's last world cup after they won two euro's around their world cup win. You can't put them out to pasture but we looked OLD AND SLOW.

We're going to see a huge turnover in the women's roster. Exact opposite as the men's team.

Reactions: chitown87
We could have called in him and forced Chelsea to release him, but we prioritized the nations league over this tournament. Partially because of the timing. having our key players rested and in good spots with their clubs is much more important than the gold cup. Consider that a lot of the guys based in europe basically didn't have a break for the last year once they restarted last summer. They went from finishing the european seasons last summer after the shutdown straight into their preseason camps and then they came straight here for nations league camp and semis/finals. If they had played the gold cup they would have had almost no break going into their seasons in eurpoe, then an absolutely grueling season of european play, fly here once avery 6 weeks for 3 wcq games in 8 days and then fly back.

the Mexican federation's decision to keep players like Lozano, Hector Herrera (scumbag) and their other european based players over here for the gold cup is an awful one. They're beat up going into their club seasons with no break and will be back here in a month for world cup qualfying. They're going to hit a wall.

We had Hoppe here for the GOld cup because schalke likely asked for him to play with us betting he played well so they can hopefully sell him. I could see him getting sold to a Bundesliga team or a mid -table Premier League team. He's a beast.
Has to be completely demoralizing for Mexico, too - a nice little bonus that hopefully will follow them to Cincinnati.

Reactions: chitown87
they'll be playing for bronze.

They're old. I liken their situation to Spain's last world cup after they won two euro's around their world cup win. You can't put them out to pasture but we looked OLD AND SLOW.

We're going to see a huge turnover in the women's roster. Exact opposite as the men's team.
They need more trans players.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Just saw how they lost. That's a pretty crappy way to lose. Just bad timing for the ladies. You really just have to give credit to the gal who drew the penalty for hustling her ass off. If she was just jogging that penalty never happens. It was definitely the right call. Just bad luck really.

^^^have a different take. That play reminds me of the mcbb charge call. Maybe, by rule ( a strained interpretation IMO), that was a foul, but it sure didn’t feel or look like a soccer play on the ball. admittedly. It was definitely a hustle play. However, throwing urself into the side/ front of a clearing action by a defender who arrived at the ball first just feels “ suspect” IMO.
I would not have called that a foul. Jmho

^^^have a different take. That play reminds me of the mcbb charge call. Maybe, by rule ( a strained interpretation IMO), that was a foul, but it sure didn’t feel or look like a soccer play on the ball. admittedly. It was definitely a hustle play. However, throwing urself into the side/ front of a clearing action by a defender who arrived at the ball first just feels “ suspect” IMO.
I would not have called that a foul. Jmho
That call was absolute trash. I believe that was the only shot Canada had on goal, the penalty kick.

the gold cup was played late. We had to let those guys go. It’s not in USsoccer best interest to go head to head with the clubs. There will never be a good outcome. Lizano btw was injured in the first match for Mexico: really the GC ended up one of the worst case scenarios for Mexico. Don’t forget Ochoa. Sent to play in olympics instead of GC.

the gold cup was played late. We had to let those guys go. It’s not in USsoccer best interest to go head to head with the clubs. There will never be a good outcome. Lizano btw was injured in the first match for Mexico: really the GC ended up one of the worst case scenarios for Mexico. Don’t forget Ochoa. Sent to play in olympics instead of GC.

yep. Warms my heart

The question about Pulisic playing in the Gold Cup shows the necessity of MLS based players for the US as roster depth. Guys like Acosta, Miles Robinson, Zardes and Lleget are in midseason form compared to the UEFA based club players who are in preseason like Adams, Pulisic, McKennie and Brooks. COVID delays compressed the 20-21 club schedules which mandated a lighter load for the Champions League participants because they already were playing heavier schedules in shorter timeframes and needed the time off...but it also puts out in straight technicolor the need for the MLS guys. They are playing in a Hemisphere and in climates not dissimilar to Panama City or San Salvador; take a Reyna playing in October in Northern Germany...very different in climate and 7 time zones away from Mexico City. When you compare what likely will constitute the US WCQ roster even to Mexico you would see a significantly larger number of UEFA based players; sure they have their Lozanos and hopefully (as far as their concerned) Raul Jimenez, etc. But they have alot of Liga MX based players at the core of their roster, and that is significantly the case with the other Central American rosters. Frankly I think Martino made a mistake having his core in both the Nations League and then the Olympics or Gold Cup; they have an older roster that needed more rest. Guys like Herrera area already in their mid 30s with alot of tread; tack that into the 3 game sets of WCQ and that could turn up a bunch of fatigue during qualifying.

The Eurosnobbery of some of the USMNT supporters turns their nose up to MLS players and I get it somewhat, but the guys I listed as MLS likelies on the WCQ roster have real tangible value. Three game blocks with the Men's National team where you might play in Panama on a Thursday, Miami on a Sunday and Couva on a Friday puts a strain on your legs...especially when a big chunk of the roster is coming from Europe and will have the added workload of Champions League qualifying.

The question about Pulisic playing in the Gold Cup shows the necessity of MLS based players for the US as roster depth. Guys like Acosta, Miles Robinson, Zardes and Lleget are in midseason form compared to the UEFA based club players who are in preseason like Adams, Pulisic, McKennie and Brooks. COVID delays compressed the 20-21 club schedules which mandated a lighter load for the Champions League participants because they already were playing heavier schedules in shorter timeframes and needed the time off...but it also puts out in straight technicolor the need for the MLS guys. They are playing in a Hemisphere and in climates not dissimilar to Panama City or San Salvador; take a Reyna playing in October in Northern Germany...very different in climate and 7 time zones away from Mexico City. When you compare what likely will constitute the US WCQ roster even to Mexico you would see a significantly larger number of UEFA based players; sure they have their Lozanos and hopefully (as far as their concerned) Raul Jimenez, etc. But they have alot of Liga MX based players at the core of their roster, and that is significantly the case with the other Central American rosters. Frankly I think Martino made a mistake having his core in both the Nations League and then the Olympics or Gold Cup; they have an older roster that needed more rest. Guys like Herrera area already in their mid 30s with alot of tread; tack that into the 3 game sets of WCQ and that could turn up a bunch of fatigue during qualifying.

The Eurosnobbery of some of the USMNT supporters turns their nose up to MLS players and I get it somewhat, but the guys I listed as MLS likelies on the WCQ roster have real tangible value. Three game blocks with the Men's National team where you might play in Panama on a Thursday, Miami on a Sunday and Couva on a Friday puts a strain on your legs...especially when a big chunk of the roster is coming from Europe and will have the added workload of Champions League qualifying.

I agree with most of your sentiment and points.

The Eurosnobbery is justified.

A. If you're good enough to move to Europe that means you're good... A guy like Lleget is a very good role player and will probably start some wcq. But he isn't good enough to be a "full time" starter.

B. Europe is more competitive and those guys who have gone over there are ALL fighting for PT that they would have handed to them in MLS. We need to push more to compete in europe because it makes them better... Pulisic paved the way for most of the guys going over now... It's a good thing.

C. WCQ and mid season form won't be an issue. The genius of Berhalter saying before the tournaments that we'd bring our "a" team to nations league and the "b/c" team to Gold cup was a GREAT move. I'm not the biggest GGG fan but he's making all of the right moves and he's just arogant enough to not feel the pressure of needing to always win the little continental stuff.

His decision did two huge things for the usa. The contrast with what martino did is striking. It's the difference in the two federations.

1. By bringing almost two completely separate rosters he enabled our best european based players to get rest that they needed. MckEnnie, PUlisic, Yedlin, Reyna, Weah, Robinson, Aaronson Brooks, etc... got longer breaks than the guys they are competing for club positions with as most of their competition played in a grueling Euro tournament. They're more likely to be getting 1st team minutes as their seasons start because they are fresh and have had a full preseason. They'll be rounding into form by the time September gets here. Pulisic has already played two preseason games as have others.

2. With three games in 7 in the wcq windows we will need a much deeper roster. The last 4 or 5 spots on the wcq roster as well as the injury fill ins that we will surely need were areas of uncertainty. Outside of outside midfield/wingers we have questions of our #2 and 3 options at almost every position. We solved almost all of those or at least can feel comfortable at backups for every position but central midfield. In short, we can't afford to be without both adams and Mckennie or we are screwed. Busio, Lleget, williamson, etc... can't cut it. We've basically got 4 central midfielders who can compete. McKennie, Musah, Adams, and accosta. Lleget is fine in a pinch but we can't run him out there unless we have 2 of those 4 guys next to him. We identified left back options, right center back options, zardes will be a fine backup at striker.. Genius move and bold by GGG to say this was his plan before the gold cup.

In contrast, Mexico brought their "a" team to both tournaments and ran them into the ground. Hector Hererra (scumbag) will struggle for minutes at AM early because he's worn out. Lazano is hurt (I was shocked when they included both of them in the GC roster) and the rest of their guys are worn down. After Raul, they have no striker... This could be a rough WCQ term for them.

I agree with most of your sentiment and points.

The Eurosnobbery is justified.

A. If you're good enough to move to Europe that means you're good... A guy like Lleget is a very good role player and will probably start some wcq. But he isn't good enough to be a "full time" starter.

B. Europe is more competitive and those guys who have gone over there are ALL fighting for PT that they would have handed to them in MLS. We need to push more to compete in europe because it makes them better... Pulisic paved the way for most of the guys going over now... It's a good thing.

C. WCQ and mid season form won't be an issue. The genius of Berhalter saying before the tournaments that we'd bring our "a" team to nations league and the "b/c" team to Gold cup was a GREAT move. I'm not the biggest GGG fan but he's making all of the right moves and he's just arogant enough to not feel the pressure of needing to always win the little continental stuff.

His decision did two huge things for the usa. The contrast with what martino did is striking. It's the difference in the two federations.

1. By bringing almost two completely separate rosters he enabled our best european based players to get rest that they needed. MckEnnie, PUlisic, Yedlin, Reyna, Weah, Robinson, Aaronson Brooks, etc... got longer breaks than the guys they are competing for club positions with as most of their competition played in a grueling Euro tournament. They're more likely to be getting 1st team minutes as their seasons start because they are fresh and have had a full preseason. They'll be rounding into form by the time September gets here. Pulisic has already played two preseason games as have others.

2. With three games in 7 in the wcq windows we will need a much deeper roster. The last 4 or 5 spots on the wcq roster as well as the injury fill ins that we will surely need were areas of uncertainty. Outside of outside midfield/wingers we have questions of our #2 and 3 options at almost every position. We solved almost all of those or at least can feel comfortable at backups for every position but central midfield. In short, we can't afford to be without both adams and Mckennie or we are screwed. Busio, Lleget, williamson, etc... can't cut it. We've basically got 4 central midfielders who can compete. McKennie, Musah, Adams, and accosta. Lleget is fine in a pinch but we can't run him out there unless we have 2 of those 4 guys next to him. We identified left back options, right center back options, zardes will be a fine backup at striker.. Genius move and bold by GGG to say this was his plan before the gold cup.

In contrast, Mexico brought their "a" team to both tournaments and ran them into the ground. Hector Hererra (scumbag) will struggle for minutes at AM early because he's worn out. Lazano is hurt (I was shocked when they included both of them in the GC roster) and the rest of their guys are worn down. After Raul, they have no striker... This could be a rough WCQ term for them.
...that contrast with the Mexican Federation and the US is pretty stark; El Tri has traditionally gone through managers like a Kardashian goes through pumps and I'm not so sure that pressure to produce and perform didn't force Martino into some expensive roster management decisions. They were remarkably short sighted. They are in an unusual position of having to import new blood from US dual nationals which is good for the Ricardo Pepis, Ochoas, Efra Alvarez and Jonathan Gomez's of the world...but shows the growing depth of the US player pool coming up as teenagers. The US can afford the losses with that growing pool and in the cases of Pepi and Gomez that would be painful (if WCQ was one year later they would be arriving just in time).

I would make this one last statement as it applied to this summer for the USMNT...something really lacking from both the 2014 and 2018 squads throughout qualifying was they seemed to lack bite if it wasn't Jermaine Jones. In virtually every game against a very improved CONCACAF side--whether it be Honduras, Canada, Jamaica or Mexico twice--the US not only didn't get outCONCACAFed, they grew into every one of the Nations League and Gold Cup games and scored second half goals (and didn't yield a second half goal with the exception of Diego Llanez in the Nations League). That is at minimum encouraging as they go into qualifying.

Reactions: entropy13
I would make this one last statement as it applied to this summer for the USMNT...something really lacking from both the 2014 and 2018 squads throughout qualifying was they seemed to lack bite if it wasn't Jermaine Jones. In virtually every game against a very improved CONCACAF side--whether it be Honduras, Canada, Jamaica or Mexico twice--the US not only didn't get outCONCACAFed, they grew into every one of the Nations League and Gold Cup games and scored second half goals (and didn't yield a second half goal with the exception of Diego Llanez in the Nations League). That is at minimum encouraging as they go into qualifying.

Agree 100%. Our lost generation, the guys in the miazga and ariolla age range is what made guys like Michael bradley and others get complacent and lose their "fight". These guys have all had to grind at every stage of their career becuase they're fighting for playing time every day. Adams, Mckennie, Pulisic, Sargent, etc... They're all fighting for a starting spot every day. So coming and playing a game in concacaf isn't a huge deal to them. Plus they're all hungry as hell. That "fight" has rubbed off on some of the younger guy like HOppe, Busio, Robinson, etc...

Pulisic and Reyna score on opening weekend of premier league and bundesliga. Let’s hope they stay healthy

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Dest played entire game for Barca at right back. Sargent got in last 15 min at Norwich after sale from Werner Bremen earlier in week. Just $14M transfer fee. Yedlin is on the margins imo.

Dest played entire game for Barca at right back. Sargent got in last 15 min at Norwich after sale from Werner Bremen earlier in week. Just $14M transfer fee. Yedlin is on the margins imo.

Dest looked really good..

The question Berhalter has to answer is if he puts dest a left back and let's him have freedom to step in as a wide left sided midfielder when we are in possession or does he just go with a traditional right back and left back with Robinson as our left back.

I'd go with the traditional dest at right back and robinson at left back look and use cannon as as the backup for both spots. We are woefully thin at left back after Robinson. Vines and Busio can't play at the level we need. Maybe Busio can grow into it.

Sargent looked pretty dangerous for Norwich. hate that they have him playing more at wing instead of a true 9. Hopefully he gets minutes at 9.

I missed how the men’s team finished?did they medal?

This thread isn't for you if you don't understand the difference between the men's and women's olympic soccer... \ Two totally different tournaments. The men's is a u-23 tournament and the women's is on the level of their world cup. We didn't have our top u-23 players available for qualifying so we missed out.

I missed how the men’s team finished?did they medal?
It’s evident you don’t pay attention but yeah the men’s B team won the copa de oro while the woke women were getting their ass handed to them. Where there’s woke there’s total collapse.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK-BILL
This thread isn't for you if you don't understand the difference between the men's and women's olympic soccer... \ Two totally different tournaments. The men's is a u-23 tournament and the women's is on the level of their world cup. We didn't have our top u-23 players available for qualifying so we missed out.

I wouldn’t say we missed out US soccer on the men’s side has never taken the olympics seriously. Many great football nations don’t take Olympic soccer seriously.

It’s evident you don’t pay attention but yeah the men’s B team won the copa America while the woke women were getting their ass handed to them. Where there’s woke there’s total collapse.

"gold cup". But close enough.

And no need to bash the women's team. They're remarkable and have done amazing things. Don't stoop to ed's level.

Reactions: KARLITO12
"gold cup". But close enough.

And no need to bash the women's team. They're remarkable and have done amazing things. Don't stoop to ed's level.
Ah I live in Latin America and have copa America on the mind my bad. As for the women yeah they are on a major decline. I know some of those girls I coached a couple and a few others who were cut from the national team over politics so I have zero love for them.

Ah I live in Latin America and have copa America on the mind my bad. As for the women yeah they are on a major decline. I know some of those girls I coached a couple and a few others who were cut from the national team over politics so I have zero love for them.

"Major decline"? They won the bronze and have a TON of talent coming up that probably should have been included sooner.

Rooting for your national team to decline because you don't agree with their politics is lame.

PS: It's just as annoying for people who went after Pulisic for liking pro-trump tweets...

"Major decline"? They won the bronze and have a TON of talent coming up that probably should have been included sooner.

Rooting for your national team to decline because you don't agree with their politics is lame.

PS: It's just as annoying for people who went after Pulisic for liking pro-trump tweets...

there are many countries on the rise and the women’s talent coming up doesn’t have the mentality. And for the politics comment you took it the wrong way. There are better players at least 3 girls I coached who were on the u18 women’s national team who were cut by Jill ellis because of internal politics not because of social issues. They should be on the top team ahead of several girls. There is a large pool and the team isn’t exactly made up of the best players. That’s what it is

there are many countries on the rise and the women’s talent coming up doesn’t have the mentality. And for the politics comment you took it the wrong way. There are better players at least 3 girls I coached who were on the u18 women’s national team who were cut by Jill ellis because of internal politics not because of social issues. They should be on the top team ahead of several girls. There is a large pool and the team isn’t exactly made up of the best players. That’s what it is

Ah. Understood.

I agree. One of the flaws of the women's team is that they don't expand the pool because, ironically enough, so many of the "big" players rely on the women's team for pay.

What Berhalter has done to expand the men's pool is genius.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
😂😂😂😂

After I made you look like the clown you are, the last time, I'm surprised you'd even quote me again. But, you are just here to troll. And a particularly ignorant one, at that.
What is your obsession with me? It’s unhealthy.

Ah. Understood.

I agree. One of the flaws of the women's team is that they don't expand the pool because, ironically enough, so many of the "big" players rely on the women's team for pay.

What Berhalter has done to expand the men's pool is genius.
Well you gotta give the credit to Klinsman Too for restructuring the developmental system for men’s soccer. The woman were still relying on odp when the DAs on the men’s side were identifying and pulling players. Bethalter has done a great job pulling the right players and not caring what the blowback might be from parents and elements inside US soccer pressuring him for “certain” players. The women’s side is still chalk full of politics. The men never really utilized odp to develop for the olympics they used it as their primary source of building the talent pool until klinsman changed things: the women on the other hand look at developing for the olympics the same as developing for WC bc of the u23 measure on the men’s side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT