ADVERTISEMENT

Upset fans IMO

Don't think that. Was just saying I remember those seasons because I am getting old....:D.

You and I both, lol. I started in 1965 so the mid 70’s time was truly special with me too. But I was so disappointed in how it ended.

In year 5 we are 105th in offense and 81st in defense. Absolutely unacceptable, from a coach who asked us all to expect more out of the program. The same mistakes that we're being made in years 1 and 2 are still being made in year 5, these are things that should be simple to fix if you aren't incredibly stubborn. For someone who constantly says we've gotta fix some things, he sure isn't doing much fixing. Stubborn to a fault, and it's cost him 2 wins this year.

It's because they care and want UK to be a legit football school. There are some that are over the top and those folks you just dismiss. But, imo, folks should be glad that folks care enough to be upset and voice their displeasure.
UK football, has not done much to deserve such fan devotion and passion. Not much in the way of satisfaction for a UK football fan. So those that feel everyone should just cheer and hope for the best, those actions are admirable but they don't bring about much change.
I am not saying to fire Stoops. I am saying, demand more from him. Don't make excuses. Don't accept losses like last night. Don't accept mediocrity. This season and this schedule should have better results up until now. He wanted this job. He lobbied for it. He got it and is getting paid very well for it.
It's time to perform. He wanted better facilities. He got them. Fan support has been good imo. The product on the field and on the sidelines is lacking. Expect more. Do not accept that it can't happen at UK.
My question is: how do you demand more? What are the consequences? Is there a time frame? I will venture to say that none of those questions will be given to him.

My question is: how do you demand more? What are the consequences? Is there a time frame? I will venture to say that none of those questions will be given to him.
You're probably right. I wouldn't have given him an extension for getting to 7 wins in a season. Good grief. That's not demanding very much. If you reward for 7 wins. Then subtract for losses. Won't happen as you said though.

Reactions: thepip and catben
This is the mentality that keeps UK in that position. We've always been bad so this loss is not that big a deal. We were really bad a few years ago so this loss is better than how we used to get beat. You expect mediocrity, you get it.
Cawood...you are spot on IMO. I've been saying this for a long time. The fanbase must "demand" better. A demanding fanbase in UK basketball is why only the best coaches/facilities/tradition exist at UK. In football, the AD is "settling for" mediocrity and many of the fans are doing the same thing. The discretionary dollars the fans spend supporting UK football have no less value than the same dollars spent by fans at Alabama or Georgia. I want to spend those dollars supporting a team whose AD who is genuinely pursuing excellence in football. I've been a fan for almost 50 years and I'm tired of listening to same excuses from coaches and the AD. Rationalizing the acceptance of mediocrity is a losing mentality. This is what we are hearing from some of our fans, these coaches and administration. These coaches deserve the criticism and then some. Barnhart, although I do genuinely like him, is a big part of the problem and is too nice of man to do what needs to be done. If nothing changes from the AD side, empty seats might get their attention. When Barnhart hired Mark Stoops, IMO, he hired the name more than he hired the coach. Barnhart gave us Joker and Gillispie...two huges mistakes. He even resisted the Calipari hire. This fanbase DESERVES better than this. It takes hard work to establish and maintain a tradition of excellence (see UK basketball). If the fans and administration do not work hard to establish excellence in football, the tradition will establish itself by default and that tradition is what you see today for the UK football program, which is a tradition of losing and ineptness, unworthy of inclusion in the SEC fraternity of football excellence. Thank you Xception for all the hard work you do to further UK football mediocrity.

Reactions: law1127 and catben
That’s your problem, you apparently think stoops has been here 60 years. He’s only been here 5 just so you know and the previous 55 weren’t his fault but it doesn’t make it easier. You can demand all you want but it won’t mean anything, why the hell haven’t you or anyone else been demanding 60 years ago if that’s all we needed? Did you just now come to the conclusion that your demanding was the key to it all? Epiphany!!!!! I’m demanding a conference title. POOF!!!! There it is!!!!

So, what’s it take... 10 years? 15 years? 20? Lol

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Excellent post OP. UK football has an avid fan base. And rightfully so. But many of us who show frustration with the program etc are called “bandwagon fans” or “not true fans” or “trolls” blah blah blah.

Cawood, I like your posts but you have to understand that different opinions do not mean that one doesn’t care or is fully satisfied. Plus using a season that put us on probation is not exactly the way I want us to advance with this program. We are not there yet, players or coaches, both need improving and after this season if improvement is not made it needs to be discussed thoroughly.
Caring is not what separates us...we all care but it's our action and voice that is important and different. Our intention...what we intend our voice and actions to produce is most important. I would remind you, myself and everyone...the road to hell is paved with good intention. Supporting UK sports is exactly what a legendary BBN does and has always done. Those of us who say that we as a fanbase must stop "blindly" accepting the excuses and mediocrity in football must examine their actions and intention regarding the support shown. The AD must know that this result is not good enough for money spent on facilities and coaches. I hope it doesn't have to happen but empty seats will speak loudest of all.

It's because they care and want UK to be a legit football school. There are some that are over the top and those folks you just dismiss. But, imo, folks should be glad that folks care enough to be upset and voice their displeasure.
UK football, has not done much to deserve such fan devotion and passion. Not much in the way of satisfaction for a UK football fan. So those that feel everyone should just cheer and hope for the best, those actions are admirable but they don't bring about much change.
I am not saying to fire Stoops. I am saying, demand more from him. Don't make excuses. Don't accept losses like last night. Don't accept mediocrity. This season and this schedule should have better results up until now. He wanted this job. He lobbied for it. He got it and is getting paid very well for it.
It's time to perform. He wanted better facilities. He got them. Fan support has been good imo. The product on the field and on the sidelines is lacking. Expect more. Do not accept that it can't happen at UK.
This is an excellent post. There is nothing in it I can argue or disagree with.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I'm not in the "Fire Stoops" camp. However, he is quickly running out of rope on his leash.
He better learn from the coaching mistakes he is making - UK is in a prime spot where many of their peers are down right now. When Tenn, Mizzu, Fla (even though we still can't beat them) get "right" - that is going to make those game even harder to win. I think that's why many of us are taking the losses harder than normal - the schedule will likely never be this "weak" again.

There are too many examples where a new coach comes in and by year 2 (Campbell at ISU) or year 3 (multiple - Franklin at Vandy for ex.) are competing at the top of the conference - and we are acting that Stoops (yr 5) needs more time. It's TIME to put your money where your mouth is and correct these repeating mistakes and win games that are their for the taking!!!

Reactions: law1127
Caring is not what separates us...we all care but it's our action and voice that is important and different. Our intention...what we intend our voice and actions to produce is most important. I would remind you, myself and everyone...the road to hell is paved with good intention. Supporting UK sports is exactly what a legendary BBN does and has always done. Those of us who say that we as a fanbase must stop "blindly" accepting the excuses and mediocrity in football must examine their actions and intention regarding the support shown. The AD must know that this result is not good enough for money spent on facilities and coaches. I hope it doesn't have to happen but empty seats will speak loudest of all.

Your road to hell might be right for you but not for me. Not sure if you read the earlier posts but it was suggested that if you were not upset with the way things are going you don’t care and my response was that I do care but wasn’t satisfied. Just because in your opinion one should rant doesn’t make me wrong or blind. Pushing your opinion on me is not going to make me change mine.

Me too. UK fanbase for football has been faithful for many, many years without much return.

Agree, too many losses in the rain and bad weather plus all the last second losses too. It’s worn on this old body, lol.

So, what’s it take... 10 years? 15 years? 20? Lol
It varies and every situation is different, fans cherry pick the best case scenarios across all of college fb as examples of what we should just simply go do. There are many more failures that don’t work, if it were easy then everybody would do it.

For a program like UK I would say 10 years of steady progress will elevate the program to another level but can it be maintained here? I don’t know and there will still be setbacks along the way.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Couldn't agree more. But you'll have some blast you for being negative. I've never seen such a bizarre fanbase.

In year 5 we are 105th in offense and 81st in defense. Absolutely unacceptable, from a coach who asked us all to expect more out of the program. The same mistakes that we're being made in years 1 and 2 are still being made in year 5, these are things that should be simple to fix if you aren't incredibly stubborn. For someone who constantly says we've gotta fix some things, he sure isn't doing much fixing. Stubborn to a fault, and it's cost him 2 wins this year.
Outstanding!

Couldn't agree more. But you'll have some blast you for being negative. I've never seen such a bizarre fanbase.

Cawood is not saying this but some on here want you to act like a 5 yr old having a tantrum, to show you care. It’s a shame that we all can’t have a gathering place to shoot the bull and actually understand what we really mean when we post. We would probably enjoy each other or kill each other. :)

Your road to hell might be right for you but not for me. Not sure if you read the earlier posts but it was suggested that if you were not upset with the way things are going you don’t care and my response was that I do care but wasn’t satisfied. Just because in your opinion one should rant doesn’t make me wrong or blind. Pushing your opinion on me is not going to make me change mine.
Just saying that people sometime intend that their actions produce a certain result but all too often the result is not what was wanted. I don't think you and I disagree, I do think you may have misunderstood. We all care but the way we go about affecting change may differ, some good some bad. I am not trying to push my opinion on you...I am sharing my opinon and saying that as fans continue to pay good money to support bad football and mismanagement, while their intentions are good, the result may not be good in the long run as undeserved support, misread by the administration, will continue to harm the program because changes aren't made.

I just saw this thread. Interesting subject and some interesting comments.

I think it fair to say that UK has been a football nobody since Bear Bryant left. A good year here and there but basically a football nobody over the past 50 or so years. By and large you do not go from nobody to somebody in 5 years - it takes time. Especially in a football poor state like Kentucky. Yes, every now and then you see a quick rags to riches story (Snyder at KSU, Patterson at TCU, or even Franklin at Vandy) but such quick (and lasting) turnarounds are few and far between. I say again - it takes time.

I will probably catch Hell for bringing up UofL but I am going to risk it. UofL was ready to drop football in 1984... drop football. But they hired Schnellenberger in 1985. Howard did not turn things around "immediately" (54-56-2 in his 10 years) but "set the table" for better expectations for the future. Virtually impossible for the Cards to finish in this year's Top 25 but they have done so 8 times in the past 16 years. The Cards are clearly having a so-so year but the point here is that it has taken over 20 years to go from "nothing" to wherever you want to say they are today.

Again, I do not want these comments to be viewed as a UK v. UofL thing but simply an example of how long it takes. And yes, UofL has had an easier path schedule-wise than UK but, until very recently, UK has had far more resources than UofL.

So while Stoops may not be "the guy" he at least seems to be similar to Schnellenberger in terms of taking over a historically bad program and moving the fan base into a state of wanting/desiring/demanding a much better program than what they have witness the past "X" number of years.

I'm not saying keep Stoops or fire Stoops. I'm just saying it takes time. JMO

Peace

I just saw this thread. Interesting subject and some interesting comments.

I think it fair to say that UK has been a football nobody since Bear Bryant left. A good year here and there but basically a football nobody over the past 50 or so years. By and large you do not go from nobody to somebody in 5 years - it takes time. Especially in a football poor state like Kentucky. Yes, every now and then you see a quick rags to riches story (Snyder at KSU, Patterson at TCU, or even Franklin at Vandy) but such quick (and lasting) turnarounds are few and far between. I say again - it takes time.

I will probably catch Hell for bringing up UofL but I am going to risk it. UofL was ready to drop football in 1984... drop football. But they hired Schnellenberger in 1985. Howard did not turn things around "immediately" (54-56-2 in his 10 years) but "set the table" for better expectations for the future. Virtually impossible for the Cards to finish in this year's Top 25 but they have done so 8 times in the past 16 years. The Cards are clearly having a so-so year but the point here is that it has taken over 20 years to go from "nothing" to wherever you want to say they are today.

Again, I do not want these comments to be viewed as a UK v. UofL thing but simply an example of how long it takes. And yes, UofL has had an easier path schedule-wise than UK but, until very recently, UK has had far more resources than UofL.

So while Stoops may not be "the guy" he at least seems to be similar to Schnellenberger in terms of taking over a historically bad program and moving the fan base into a state of wanting/desiring/demanding a much better program than what they have witness the past "X" number of years.

I'm not saying keep Stoops or fire Stoops. I'm just saying it takes time. JMO

Peace
I hear what you're saying about "taking time"...at this rate, I'll have to hope I can get the SEC channel in heaven.

Y
Just saying that people sometime intend that their actions produce a certain result but all too often the result is not what was wanted. I don't think you and I disagree, I do think you may have misunderstood. We all care but the way we go about affecting change may differ, some good some bad. I am not trying to push my opinion on you...I am sharing my opinon and saying that as fans continue to pay good money to support bad football and mismanagement, while their intentions are good, the result may not be good in the long run as undeserved support, misread by the administration, will continue to harm the program because changes aren't made.

Can’t disagree with a good response.​

That’s your problem, you apparently think stoops has been here 60 years. He’s only been here 5 just so you know and the previous 55 weren’t his fault but it doesn’t make it easier. You can demand all you want but it won’t mean anything, why the hell haven’t you or anyone else been demanding 60 years ago if that’s all we needed? Did you just now come to the conclusion that your demanding was the key to it all? Epiphany!!!!! I’m demanding a conference title. POOF!!!! There it is!!!!

Well until our fans unite and DEmAND a winning program we will never have one. I’m not talking about conference titles I’m talking about a progression that demonstrates we get better each season. This has been the season of massive underachievement in his 5th year. Cut bait

Hard to take people serious when you have Muderorofcrows and Prime MF, you never see them when we win unless it is a slim margin over an inferior opponent, they never around when UK is up 10, they never have anything positive to say about UK. They basically call for Stoops to get fired, won't even let the season play out. It makes me go overboard on defending them. I have been frustrated this year, but it is like the old saying, you have to crawl before you can walk. It is absurd to call for Mitch to fire a 6-3 football coach at UK. It ain't happening and both of the ones I mentioned are notorious for starting baiting threads, then calling others out for starting a thread baiting.

UK is still not in a position to avoid being upset, five years ago this program was on basic probation and it is a lifetime bottom feeder. Ole Miss is not void of talent and upsets happen to elite teams much less the likes of us. I think we needed every single possible win to get the result some fans wanted and they’re mad we didn’t capitalize on every chance but that’s usually not how life works.
Well said!

I hate when people say it can't. There are teams who recruit generally the same as we do who win. Hell look at Iowa for instance, they took OSU to the wood shed and they aren't more talented than us.
On the other hand you have THE OSU had superior talent and Urban Meyer got outcoached. It happens

Hard to take people serious when you have Muderorofcrows and Prime MF, you never see them when we win unless it is a slim margin over an inferior opponent, they never around when UK is up 10, they never have anything positive to say about UK. They basically call for Stoops to get fired, won't even let the season play out. It makes me go overboard on defending them. I have been frustrated this year, but it is like the old saying, you have to crawl before you can walk. It is absurd to call for Mitch to fire a 6-3 football coach at UK. It ain't happening and both of the ones I mentioned are notorious for starting baiting threads, then calling others out for starting a thread baiting.
I can understand what you're saying. I don't want Stoops fired. I want him to succeed. I don't want to start over with another coach. Stoops has got to start getting good results though. Can't lose a game like they did Saturday. Just no excuse for that loss imo. He really needs to go 2-1 these last 3 games and get in a good bowl and win it. Gotta start turning the corner.

Reactions: JC CATS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT