ADVERTISEMENT

Upset fans IMO

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
It's because they care and want UK to be a legit football school. There are some that are over the top and those folks you just dismiss. But, imo, folks should be glad that folks care enough to be upset and voice their displeasure.
UK football, has not done much to deserve such fan devotion and passion. Not much in the way of satisfaction for a UK football fan. So those that feel everyone should just cheer and hope for the best, those actions are admirable but they don't bring about much change.
I am not saying to fire Stoops. I am saying, demand more from him. Don't make excuses. Don't accept losses like last night. Don't accept mediocrity. This season and this schedule should have better results up until now. He wanted this job. He lobbied for it. He got it and is getting paid very well for it.
It's time to perform. He wanted better facilities. He got them. Fan support has been good imo. The product on the field and on the sidelines is lacking. Expect more. Do not accept that it can't happen at UK.

Last edited:
The problem for too many is that they want to be repaid for a lifetime of futility, they have too much pent up frustration and that leads to a toxic environment. You can’t be instantly repaid for the decades of losing. You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. It’s going to be a long process of successful increments and failures. There’s no magic cure or coach that will fix a hundreds years of fail in five years time.

There is a divide between those of us who agree with your post vs those who feel like we should be thanking the lucky stars we have a coach that has improved us to back to back bowl seasons in just 5 years. It's a divide like the liberals and conservatives that is not going to be bridged anytime soon.

The problem for too many is that they want to be repaid for a lifetime of futility, they have too much pent up frustration and that leads to a toxic environment. You can’t be instantly repaid for the decades of losing. You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run. It’s going to be a long process of successful increments and failures. There’s no magic cure or coach that will fix a hundreds years of fail in five years time.
That's accepting that the lost to Ole Miss is ok. It's not. 5 years in is enough time to beat a team in the situation that Ole Miss is in. Their HC resigned because of problems. They have an interim coach and their starting QB was out. UK wasn't playing Bama or UGA.
If Stoops and his staff can't beat a team in that situation at home, then what is the problem.

That's accepting that the lost to Ole Miss is ok. It's not. 5 years in is enough time to beat a team in the situation that Ole Miss is in. Their HC resigned because of problems. They have an interim coach and their starting QB was out. UK wasn't playing Bama or UGA.
If Stoops and his staff can't beat a team in that situation at home, then what is the problem.
UK is still not in a position to avoid being upset, five years ago this program was on basic probation and it is a lifetime bottom feeder. Ole Miss is not void of talent and upsets happen to elite teams much less the likes of us. I think we needed every single possible win to get the result some fans wanted and they’re mad we didn’t capitalize on every chance but that’s usually not how life works.

Reactions: JC CATS
UK is still not in a position to avoid being upset, five years ago this program was on basic probation and it is a lifetime bottom feeder. Ole Miss is not void of talent and upsets happen to elite teams much less the likes of us. I think we needed every single possible win to get the result some fans wanted and they’re mad we didn’t capitalize on every chance but that’s usually not how life works.
This is the mentality that keeps UK in that position. We've always been bad so this loss is not that big a deal. We were really bad a few years ago so this loss is better than how we used to get beat. You expect mediocrity, you get it.

If Stoops can't have a winning record in the SEC with the way the east is now then I never see it happening. I know some want to say it takes more than 5 years, but how other programs find coaches that can is beyond me.

We are the only team in the conference that couldn't take advantage of a bad SECe.

This is the mentality that keeps UK in that position. We've always been bad so this loss is not that big a deal. We were really bad a few years ago so this loss is better than how we used to get beat. You expect mediocrity, you get it.
So all I had to do was expect a win, my bad will fix next week

I'm just mad because we keep losing games where we are the better team. That comes down to coaching from Stoops.

This loss lies solely on the HC.. He needs to let the OC play the games the way he see's it. I am beyond pissed right now about all this mess. Either he has to improve as a coach or get the heck out of the way for someone that can do the job.........

GBB

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I️ wonder if they told James Franklin when he took the Vandy job that he couldn’t win there and this had never been done or you couldn’t do x in y amount of time.

I️ wonder if they told Matt Campbell he couldn’t go into Norman Oklahoma and beat a team Iowa State hadn’t beaten in 30 years as a thirty point dog? You can’t do that at Iowa State.

you'll forgive if many of us already saw the crawl to walk about a dozen years ago, only to watch it get pissed away with the decision to hire cheap and spend nothing rather than nurture and invest until it was way too late. HUGE mistake and sadly those responsible are still in charge. so most have no faith we'll ever see walk as long as those responsible remain.

Last edited:
At this point...it doesn't matter who the coaching staff is....same old song and dance...then lets focus on AD...same old song and dance

Do not accept that it can't happen at UK.
I hate when people say it can't. There are teams who recruit generally the same as we do who win. Hell look at Iowa for instance, they took OSU to the wood shed and they aren't more talented than us.

Reactions: brianpoe
It's because they care and want UK to be a legit football school. There are some that are over the top and those folks you just dismiss. But, imo, folks should be glad that folks care enough to be upset and voice their displeasure.
UK football, has not done much to deserve such fan devotion and passion. Not much in the way of satisfaction for a UK football fan. So those that feel everyone should just cheer and hope for the best, those actions are admirable but they don't bring about much change.
I am not saying to fire Stoops. I am saying, demand more from him. Don't make excuses. Don't accept losses like last night. Don't accept mediocrity. This season and this schedule should have better results up until now. He wanted this job. He lobbied for it. He got it and is getting paid very well for it.
It's time to perform. He wanted better facilities. He got them. Fan support has been good imo. The product on the field and on the sidelines is lacking. Expect more. Do not accept that it can't happen at UK.

Very good post. He courted us and like you said lobbied for the job. And yes, he and every other college football coach is being paid millions to win football games. It's time for him to step up. I don't expect him to beat the Bama's of the world right now, but I expect us to beat teams especially at Home we should beat.

I have been a supporter of Coach Stoops and for the most part like and appreciate what he has done here. I'm at a point where I have to see better results. I've followed and watched UK Football for damn near 50 years. I'm just tired of losing to people we should beat. I tired of the heartbreak losses. I don't think it's asking too much to expect better results from a coach making around 4 mil a year. That's a lot of money and with that comes higher expectations and they should be held accountable to deliver.

Just curious what the bar is for a lot of people here?

Cats were 7-6 last year. Lost top 2 OL (Toth/Mosier), top RB (Boom), top 2 WR (Baker/Badet) and are sitting at 6-3 with 2 realistically winnable games left.

Yes, I know the UF and Ole Miss losses are frustrating but we have had good showings as well beating SC on the road and adding a UT rivalry win (yes they are down). Fact is if we can beat Vandy and UofL we will be 8-4 for the first time in many years. Building and sustaining a winning program won't just happen over night where we see 10 win seasons because we made 1 bowl. Lets let the season play out before the "Farr Stoops!!" crowd pulls out the pitchforks.

There is a divide between those of us who agree with your post vs those who feel like we should be thanking the lucky stars we have a coach that has improved us to back to back bowl seasons in just 5 years. It's a divide like the liberals and conservatives that is not going to be bridged anytime soon.
That's the problem. Is that all we should expect Stoops to accomplish? Get us 6 wins and go to the Toilet Brush Bowl? Because UK pays him a ****-ton of money for those middling results. When do we as a fanbase unite under the flag that says we REALLY want more than just barely above the cellar in the SEC?

[thumb2]

Just curious what the bar is for a lot of people here?

Cats were 7-6 last year. Lost top 2 OL (Toth/Mosier), top RB (Boom), top 2 WR (Baker/Badet) and are sitting at 6-3 with 2 realistically winnable games left.

Yes, I know the UF and Ole Miss losses are frustrating but we have had good showings as well beating SC on the road and adding a UT rivalry win (yes they are down). Fact is if we can beat Vandy and UofL we will be 8-4 for the first time in many years. Building and sustaining a winning program won't just happen over night where we see 10 win seasons because we made 1 bowl. Lets let the season play out before the "Farr Stoops!!" crowd pulls out the pitchforks.
So are you saying if UK had those players that UK should/would be 8-1? Notice than none of those players play defense. So UK has most of the defense back correct? Then why is the defense so bad? Same players.

So are you saying if UK had those players that UK should/would be 8-1? Notice than none of those players play defense. So UK has most of the defense back correct? Then why is the defense so bad? Same players.

I never made a comment on what they "should or would" be. What I'm saying is what is a realistic expectation? Our schedule isn't much easier than last year where we won 7 totals games. We have a good shot of winning 8 this year. I think one sign of improvement under Stoops is we now go in to most SEC games expecting a W, even against Miss St as 13 pt underdogs many here were acting like it was a toss up at worst. In years past we don't do that. Theres a lot of work to still be done but the doom and gloom $hit after every loss is ridiculous.

I never made a comment on what they "should or would" be. What I'm saying is what is a realistic expectation? Our schedule isn't much easier than last year where we won 7 totals games. We have a good shot of winning 8 this year. I think one sign of improvement under Stoops is we now go in to most SEC games expecting a W, even against Miss St as 13 pt underdogs many here were acting like it was a toss up at worst. In years past we don't do that. Theres a lot of work to still be done but the doom and gloom $hit after every loss is ridiculous.
So you think it was an unrealistic expectation to beat 3-5 Ole Miss at home? Without their starting QB and with an interim coach? Instead we hear, we were bad so long, let's just be happy we aren't that bad anymore. Maybe in 5 more years we can beat UF. Maybe we can get over .500 in the SEC. Let's not expect too much too soon. Stoops has ONLY been here 5 years.

So you think it was an unrealistic expectation to beat 3-5 Ole Miss at home? Without their starting QB and with an interim coach? Instead we hear, we were bad so long, let's just be happy we aren't that bad anymore. Maybe in 5 more years we can beat UF. Maybe we can get over .500 in the SEC. Let's not expect too much too soon. Stoops has ONLY been here 5 years.

No, I don't. I think its unrealistic for people to act like because we aren't 8-1 that we might as well scrap the season. People act like we are going to just make "the right hire" and start winning the East. Not going to happen, if we want to attain that level it will be with a steady built up approach perhaps akin to Va Tech under Beamer. Kentucky is at a tremendous disadvantage in football. We produce less FB talent than any SEC state (remedied somewhat by make OH a de facto home state for recruiting) and up until around 2 years ago we didn't even have league caliber facilities. Not to mention our "best classes in years" are still behind 3 teams in our own division. Im all for criticizing dumb decisions like the UF debacle but the constant b!tching and acting like we are a coaching change from winning the East is ill informed.

Reactions: sefus12
UNTil we demand more the ceiling will be the floor. Time to elevate expectations. Someone said crawl before you walk. We been crawling for 60 years

UNTil we demand more the ceiling will be the floor. Time to elevate expectations. Someone said crawl before you walk. We been crawling for 60 years
That’s your problem, you apparently think stoops has been here 60 years. He’s only been here 5 just so you know and the previous 55 weren’t his fault but it doesn’t make it easier. You can demand all you want but it won’t mean anything, why the hell haven’t you or anyone else been demanding 60 years ago if that’s all we needed? Did you just now come to the conclusion that your demanding was the key to it all? Epiphany!!!!! I’m demanding a conference title. POOF!!!! There it is!!!!

That’s your problem, you apparently think stoops has been here 60 years. He’s only been here 5 just so you know and the previous 55 weren’t his fault but it doesn’t make it easier. You can demand all you want but it won’t mean anything, why the hell haven’t you or anyone else been demanding 60 years ago if that’s all we needed? Did you just now come to the conclusion that your demanding was the key to it all? Epiphany!!!!! I’m demanding a conference title. POOF!!!! There it is!!!!
Are you saying we should not expect anything better than 7-6 seasons? Is the UK job an unattractive job where no good coach wants to come here?

Are you saying we should not expect anything better than 7-6 seasons? Is the UK job an unattractive job where no good coach wants to come here?

Thats actually not what he said at all. You essentially typed your own strawman and are ready to defend against the response.

No, I don't. I think its unrealistic for people to act like because we aren't 8-1 that we might as well scrap the season. People act like we are going to just make "the right hire" and start winning the East. Not going to happen, if we want to attain that level it will be with a steady built up approach perhaps akin to Va Tech under Beamer. Kentucky is at a tremendous disadvantage in football. We produce less FB talent than any SEC state (remedied somewhat by make OH a de facto home state for recruiting) and up until around 2 years ago we didn't even have league caliber facilities. Not to mention our "best classes in years" are still behind 3 teams in our own division. Im all for criticizing dumb decisions like the UF debacle but the constant b!tching and acting like we are a coaching change from winning the East is ill informed.
So at what year for Stoops is it acceptable to be upset? 6? 7? 8? What year should we expect to beat a 3-5 team at home?

The most frustrating thing for me is that Stoops seems intent on doing the same thing, knowing the result. I expect more; I expect to beat Florida when we are better than they are. The East is awful and we will be fortunate to go 4-4; we are favored to go 3-5. I get tired of seeing our DB's line up 10 yards off the line, only to repeatedly get burned. I get tired of going three-and-out when we have a double-digit lead; I get tired of leaving receivers uncovered. I get tired of losing games that we should not. Every team in the West has beaten Florida at least once in their last two games against them. I believe that the only team with a losing "streak" is Ole Miss. Every team in the East has beaten Florida at least once since 2013. Except Kentucky. It's unacceptable. I expected 8-4 this season, and it could still happen, but we are underdogs in each of the last three games. 6-6 with this schedule would be a failure.

So you don't have a basis for when fans should expect More? That's what I thought. It's the motto "Hey, at least we're not as bad as we used to be". HC is paid millions but let's not expect too much.

High expectations are what bring the best out of people. My boss has high expectations for me, and I meet them more times than not. Unrealistic expectations can drive a man down. I don't think we have unrealistic expectations; winning games that you should win is not unrealistic. Stoops makes more in ten days than I do in a year. Hey, but I make more in a year than he does in a mere week.

Reactions: Cawood86
So you don't have a basis for when fans should expect More? That's what I thought. It's the motto "Hey, at least we're not as bad as we used to be". HC is paid millions but let's not expect too much.

I never said that. All you are doing is asking me questions as if I said what you are referring to. What I did say is we can likely go 8-4. If we do so, it will be our best season in quite a while. You can be upset whenever you like, I was upset after every loss this year. Just think its irrational to act like at this point we are some juggernaut that is only being held back by coaching.

I don’t agree that getting mad and loud ever made more victories. Not sure how old you are but 40 and 50 point losses in the past were very hard to take. Now bad decisions on the field have lost us a couple of victories which I agree shouldn’t happen. But a holding call and not realizing that you can’t let a guy run from the middle of the field and get out of bounds to stop the clock when they only had one timeout, is on the players. The other stuff is on the coaches imo.

I don’t agree that getting mad and loud ever made more victories. Not sure how old you are but 40 and 50 point losses in the past were very hard to take. Now bad decisions on the field have lost us a couple of victories which I agree shouldn’t happen. But a holding call and not realizing that you can’t let a guy run from the middle of the field and get out of bounds to stop the clock when they only had one timeout, is on the players. The other stuff is on the coaches imo.
I'm not mad or loud. I'm old enough to remember the '76-'77 teams. I'm just not accepting that it can't happen at UK. Stoops has had time to get his system in place. Had time to get his players in place. Got as good of facilities as anyone.
If UK is not at the point that it can beat a 3-5 team with all the issues they've had going on at home, then when will it be at that point? How many years does it take? Why is the defense so bad? It's time for this program to move up and expect more. Not to just get bowl eligible.
If that's all they aspire to, UK shouldn't have spent the money they have on facilities and shouldn't be paying Stoops millions.
This team has played the easiest schedule UK has had who knows how long and they have not looked good for the exception of 2 games. They have played 9. If you accept that things are good considering UK's history and that they are better than they were under Joker, then 7-6 seems wonderful. Then UK needs to stop expecting fans to show up and pay big money.

Reactions: lmhurst
I never said that. All you are doing is asking me questions as if I said what you are referring to. What I did say is we can likely go 8-4. If we do so, it will be our best season in quite a while. You can be upset whenever you like, I was upset after every loss this year. Just think its irrational to act like at this point we are some juggernaut that is only being held back by coaching.
Yeah, it's UK football. Who really cares huh? Hey, they tried. It was close. At least they didn't get blown out. Let's hope they only lose one more. They try hard.

I'm not mad or loud. I'm old enough to remember the '76-'77 teams. I'm just not accepting that it can't happen at UK. Stoops has had time to get his system in place. Had time to get his players in place. Got as good of facilities as anyone.
If UK is not at the point that it can beat a 3-5 team with all the issues they've had going on at home, then when will it be at that point? How many years does it take? Why is the defense so bad? It's time for this program to move up and expect more. Not to just get bowl eligible.
If that's all they aspire to, UK shouldn't have spent the money they have on facilities and shouldn't be paying Stoops millions.
This team has played the easiest schedule UK has had who knows how long and they have not looked good for the exception of 2 games. They have played 9. If you accept that things are good considering UK's history and that they are better than they were under Joker, then 7-6 seems wonderful. Then UK needs to stop expecting fans to show up and pay big money.

Cawood, I like your posts but you have to understand that different opinions do not mean that one doesn’t care or is fully satisfied. Plus using a season that put us on probation is not exactly the way I want us to advance with this program. We are not there yet, players or coaches, both need improving and after this season if improvement is not made it needs to be discussed thoroughly.

Cawood, I like your posts but you have to understand that different opinions do not mean that one doesn’t care or is fully satisfied. Plus using a season that put us on probation is not exactly the way I want us to advance with this program. We are not there yet, players or coaches, both need improving and after this season if improvement is not made it needs to be discussed thoroughly.
Don't think that. Was just saying I remember those seasons because I am getting old....:D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT