ADVERTISEMENT

Up 6 with 3:46 to go

Please remind me again of what "evidence" you proffered other than Kentucky scored 36 points in the 2nd half and 48 in the 1st. That is the beginning nugget of an hypothesis, nothing more. It is far from proof of anything. And thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll stay and keep putting you in your place.
Moving the goalposts is a logical fallacy and you just did it again LOL

My post was in response to your post about Sheppard. Your point about Shep was not a good example.

In all honesty, I didn’t expect UK to win this game. In part due to injuries but also in large part because of Cals abysmal record against ranked opponents over the span of the last 7-8 years. However, this game was within UKs grasp regardless of injuries etc. and UK scores 1 point the last 3 minutes of the game. Cal will ride his chosen few to the detriment of the team. I am not remotely saying Wagner is a bad player—but tonight he absolutely was not good. Dillingham was hot and Cal takes him out. Shep plays solid and he goes out. This is typical of Cal.
Dilly and Shep came out because of fouls....not because of Cal subbing for no reason.
Dilly had 2 or 3 fouls 40 feet from the basket he will learn not to make.
They are very talented freshmen that will improve.
Now to get Wagner and Edwards playing up to their star rating....

Dilly and Shep came out because of fouls....not because of Cal subbing for no reason.
Hard to argue with some people. I'm glad someone finally pointed out the reasons Reed and Dilly sat. It wasn't because of some clandestine conspiracy to lose a game so others can play. Some people man.......

Last edited:
Shep took a terrible last shot.

We had lots of mistakes all game long. We held it close to the #1 team in the country all game. Down the stretch, their experience took care of business. This wasn't a Cal problem.

He had a good game plan, we executed it well. Just faltered down the stretch.
80% of the time Cal's teams falter down the stretch.

We had lots of mistakes all game long. We held it close to the #1 team in the country all game. Down the stretch, their experience took care of business. This wasn't a Cal problem.

And had a couple of turnovers down the stretch as well. He played great the first half but not so much the 2nd. I think nerves got to him a little.

Reactions: Cats192
Great recruiter but a terrible in game coach. Games like this and late game collapses in tournament losses to Wisconsin and UNC prove that. That's all I have to say about Cal and this game.
no, it started in year 1 when Huggy played a zone because on of his best players was out & ccc had no clue how to score against it.. that should have been the initial signal to us fans, but we were enamored with the 5 star recruits, even though they had no basketball skills.

Reactions: KFuqua
Up 6 with 3:45 left, you should win that game. That's coaching. Call a timeout, run some sets, slow the kids minds down, whatever. Kansas ran away on an 11-0 run. Again, coaching. Call it whatever you want though.
ccc saves time outs for some reason, but why call time out when he has no idea how to set up a play or attack the defense. How many times has UK come out of a time out and dribbled around until the shot clock was about to expire & then throw a terrible shot. That type of brilliant coaching cost UK the 2015 title & a perfect season. It also took most of the spark from the UKI fans

no, it started in year 1 when Huggy played a zone because on of his best players was out & ccc had no clue how to score against it.. that should have been the initial signal to us fans, but we were enamored with the 5 star recruits, even though they had no basketball skills.
John Wall, Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins had no basketball skills? We lost 3 games that year. And those 5 collectively played 3,047 games in the NBA.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
ccc saves time outs for some reason, but why call time out when he has no idea how to set up a play or attack the defense. How many times has UK come out of a time out and dribbled around until the shot clock was about to expire & then throw a terrible shot. That type of brilliant coaching cost UK the 2015 title & a perfect season. It also took most of the spark from the UKI fans
Exactly! Cal isn’t a bench coach and probably not a very good practice coach. He’s a great recruiter and NBA ambassador and a does fantastic job with fund raisers and community/state good will. However, that’s not what we he is getting paid to do. Coach to WIN games for UK, not have the most NBA players. He’s only doing a good job with the latter. ☹️

Yep, all years we should have won it all.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

The bad shot by Shep was most likely a panic shot due to losing track of time on the clock. They should have never been in that position to go panic mode.

But...it was a freshman mistake.

That's my point.

The OP is acting like we lost because Cal played guys making mistakes too many minutes. But Reed in crunch time made freshman mistakes. He had a turnover late. The whole "clock running down" doesn't excuse it. Know the time on the clock.

I'm not here to criticize Reed. I thought he was very good for us tonight. But he made mistakes like the rest of the guys.
He was very good whether you think he was or not. The kid made some mistake trying to play team ball. He passed up several midrange shots trying to create for others. No one will ever accuse Wagner of thinking about anyone other than himself. Every time he touched the ball I was expecting something bad to happen. Selfish is the best way to describe his play.

• Haha
Reactions: vanillaslice
The bad shot by Shep was most likely a panic shot due to losing track of time on the clock. They should have never been in that position to go panic mode.
I'm not even sure who you're wanting to blame here. Do you think it's Cal's fault he took a bad shot with time on the clock? Wagner's? Edwards?

There were 10 seconds on the shot clock in a 3 point game when he made the bad play. I don't know that 10 seconds is time to panic. That's on Reed. No one else.

We'll have other close games. Are you saying that if we're in a close game, it's not on Reed to know the shot clock?

Reactions: CatsFanIL
He was very good whether you think he was or not. The kid made some mistake trying to play team ball. He passed up several midrange shots trying to create for others. No one will ever accuse Wagner of thinking about anyone other than himself. Every time he touched the ball I was expecting something bad to happen. Selfish is the best way to describe his play.
I think Reed was very good.

I also think he made his share of mistakes. There seems to be a lot of "Cal played the wrong guys and that's why we lost."

But Rob and Reed were in during the most crucial stretch of the game. And they each made multiple mistakes.

Some of you seem to be implying if we keep Reed out there for 35 minutes, he would have won us the game. Maybe. Or maybe he makes similar mistakes to the ones he made late in the game.

I also think he made his share of mistakes. There seems to be a lot of "Cal played the wrong guys and that's why we lost."

But Rob and Reed were in during the most crucial stretch of the game. And they each made multiple mistakes.

Some of you seem to be implying if we keep Reed out there for 35 minutes, he would have won us the game. Maybe. Or maybe he makes similar mistakes to the ones he made late in the game.
The only players to not make mistakes at any level of the are the ones who played it safe by doing nothing. Without Dilly and Shep, we wouldn't have been in a position for mistakes to have made a difference. It is crazy to criticize Dilly and Shep while saying nothing about the mess that Edwards and Wagner displayed.

There it is. Microscope on Shep, no mention of DJ and Edwards going 1-18.

Reactions: catben and KFuqua
I'm not even sure who you're wanting to blame here. Do you think it's Cal's fault he took a bad shot with time on the clock? Wagner's? Edwards?

There were 10 seconds on the shot clock in a 3 point game when he made the bad play. I don't know that 10 seconds is time to panic. That's on Reed. No one else.

We'll have other close games. Are you saying that if we're in a close game, it's not on Reed to know the shot clock?
We were up by 6 with 3:46 left in the game and possessed the ball because KU turned it over. We should have gone up by 8 which would have eliminated a reason for his desperation shot.

We were up by 6 with 3:46 left in the game and possessed the ball because KU turned it over. We should have gone up by 8 which would have eliminated a reason for his desperation shot.
There wasn't a reason for his desperation shot. The situation you're describing didn't exist.

We were down 3 with 10 seconds on the shot clock. He had plenty of time to get a better shot for himself or someone else. Reed isn't the reason we lost. But in that moment, that was a mistake by him.

There it is. Microscope on Shep, no mention of DJ and Edwards going 1-18.
You guys are on some Reed Sheperd defense system. I'm not trying to attack him.

I readily agree with you that Wagner and Edwards made mistakes. In fact, I was responding to those of you that were blaming them for the loss and claiming that we would have won if Reed played more.

I'm not here to attack Reed. He played well. But he, like the others (Wagner and Edwards included) made key mistakes in crunch time.

The only players to not make mistakes at any level of the are the ones who played it safe by doing nothing. Without Dilly and Shep, we wouldn't have been in a position for mistakes to have made a difference. It is crazy to criticize Dilly and Shep while saying nothing about the mess that Edwards and Wagner displayed.
I'm not here to criticize Reed.

I think Reed is a good player and had a very good game. I was pointing out Reed's mistakes in response to the idea that him being sat is why we lost.

He made freshman mistakes similar to Dilly, Wagner, and Edwards. Him getting more minutes may have led to some good plays, but it probably also comes with some additional mistakes.

i mean the bottom line is no one executed down the stretch.

no one.

KU on the other hand had players that stepped up and made plays.

John Wall, Patrick Patterson, Darius Miller, Eric Bledsoe and DeMarcus Cousins had no basketball skills? We lost 3 games that year. And those 5 collectively played 3,047 games in the NBA.
The 1st example of lousy coaching as illustrated by the 30 or so 3 point shots that game and ccc just let them keep on shooting blanks because he had no clue how to run an Offense against a zone

We took so many threes because we had to take so many threes.

We have three bigs injured. We got dominated on the inside by Dickinson on defense and it would have been the same way on offense had we tried to go inside.

Cal takes a lot of heat here but taking too many threes is a new one lol.

This thread is weird.

Anyone who knows basketball knows what cost us the game was the Dilly going under back to back screens giving up 6 points in a matter of 1 min when we were up 81-75.

That was the difference in the game. Everything else you bro's are shouting is wasted air.

This thread is weird.

Anyone who knows basketball knows what cost us the game was the Dilly going under back to back screens giving up 6 points in a matter of 1 min when we were up 81-75.

That was the difference in the game. Everything else you bro's are shouting is wasted air.
The part about losing a 14 point lead in the second half is wasted air?

Well, now we all know how much (zero) you know about basketball.

Reactions: SmorgusKilos96er
The 1st example of lousy coaching as illustrated by the 30 or so 3 point shots that game and ccc just let them keep on shooting blanks because he had no clue how to run an Offense against a zone
I'm not defending Calipari's coaching. Just challenging you on your assertion that the guys on that team had no "basketball skills." That is just absurd.

Do these same threads get made by the OP when Kentucky goes on the road and beats Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, etc?

Did the OP make a similar thread when UK was down 18 pts on the road to FL and came back to win (2020??). If memory serves me correct, Cal even designed a play for the winning basket.

What about win Kentucky traveled TO Kansas and did what hardly anyone does, beating Kansas on their home floor (2022)?

Any thread when Kentucky went on the road to beat Alabama WITHOUT Sahvir and TyTy?

Surely the OP created a positive thread when Kenutcky came back from down 15 points on the road at West Virginia to win, right?

I agree with the reasoning, but Shep ended the game with only 3 fouls I think. He should have stayed in the game for the last 8 minutes because this team plays better when he’s in.

Reactions: sambowieshin
I agree with the reasoning, but Shep ended the game with only 3 fouls I think. He should have stayed in the game for the last 8 minutes because this team plays better when he’s in.
He took the last shot with 5 seconds to go....He was in at the end. Not sure exactly how many minutes he played in the second half.

The part about losing a 14 point lead in the second half is wasted air?

Well, now we all know how much (zero) you know about basketball.
He was literally telling you the most important reason we blew a 14-point lead. Literally. Those of us who know basketball know that when having a 6-point lead late in the game, there's a few things to focus on: No turnovers for quick points going the other way; no quick open shots for the opponent, make them take long possessions searching for a good shot; no uncontested 3s; don't foul shooters (stopping the clock) and give easy points at the FT-line...

We turned the ball over late (Shep and Rob), we gave them quick wide open looks from 3 (which the poster is alluding to), and we gave away easy points at the FT-line

Well, now we all know how much (zero) you know about basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT