ADVERTISEMENT

Up 6 with 3:46 to go

He was literally telling you the most important reason we blew a 14-point lead. Literally. Those of us who know basketball know that when having a 6-point lead late in the game, there's a few things to focus on: No turnovers for quick points going the other way; no quick open shots for the opponent, make them take long possessions searching for a good shot; no uncontested 3s; don't foul shooters (stopping the clock) and give easy points at the FT-line...

We turned the ball over late (Shep and Rob), we gave them quick wide open looks from 3 (which the poster is alluding to), and we gave away easy points at the FT-line

Well, now we all know how much (zero) you know about basketball

Obviously we didn't execute down the stretch.

But I think they were just meaning that entire 2nd half we had a big lead that we blew. They cut into that before we brought it back out to 6.

Both are worth noting.

You are up 14 in the second half you should close the game out. There's no point in just focusing on the under 4 mins 6 point lead.

Questions should be asked about why we didn't execute at the end of that game. But questions should also be asked why we blew a big lead and was in that position to begin with.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
It is the typical crap that is posted by the Cal worshipers. Currently DJ doesn't play well enough to start.
I don’t understand these coach defenders. Cal and Stoops are both big boys and they both make about $9,000,000 a year. For that kind of money positive results should be expected but it seems a certain element finds it necessary, a duty even, to call out the “bad “ fans that have the gall to question results.

I don’t understand these coach defenders. Cal and Stoops are both big boys and they both make about $9,000,000 a year. For that kind of money positive results should be expected but it seems a certain element finds it necessary, a duty even, to call out the “bad “ fans that have the gall to question results.

I feel like it’s such an easy target. In general tho coaches get too much credit in good times and too much blame in bad times.

College is a bit different than pro I guess in that the coach is also the one that’s recruiting these players to begin with. So people can easily say coach is to blame instead of saying player x just isn’t performing.

Obviously we didn't execute down the stretch.

But I think they were just meaning that entire 2nd half we had a big lead that we blew. They cut into that before we brought it back out to 6.

Both are worth noting.

You are up 14 in the second half you should close the game out. There's no point in just focusing on the under 4 mins 6 point lead.

Questions should be asked about why we didn't execute at the end of that game. But questions should also be asked why we blew a big lead and was in that position to begin with.
Totally agree with you, and here's the big variable:
Dejaun Harris ended up going 5-5 from 3, most of those coming in 2nd half to trim the lead

Dilly went off in the first half (really just a 90 sec stretch) hitting 4 threes, and that's what allowed the run to build a lead. We didn't have Dilly knocking down shots in the 2nd half.

My concern going into the 2nd half was that Dilly couldn't continue that kind of shooting - I'm not labeling him a poor shooter, just not realistic he continued on that trajectory

That's why I'm not pouting about this loss, it took a HISTORICALLY RARE shooting night from Harris (averages less than 1 made 3 per game, shot 100% against us, 5-5) to beat us

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Totally agree with you, and here's the big variable:
Dejaun Harris ended up going 5-5 from 3, most of those coming in 2nd half to trim the lead

Dilly went off in the first half (really just a 90 sec stretch) hitting 4 threes, and that's what allowed the run to build a lead. We didn't have Dilly knocking down shots in the 2nd half.

My concern going into the 2nd half was that Dilly couldn't continue that kind of shooting - I'm not labeling him a poor shooter, just not realistic he continued on that trajectory

That's why I'm not pouting about this loss, it took a HISTORICALLY RARE shooting night from Harris (averages less than 1 made 3 per game, shot 100% against us, 5-5) to beat us

I basically felt the same way watching.

We got that big lead cause Dilly had a crazy little stretch in that first half.

Thing is with the bigs out and KU being the better team, we had to beat them from 3. And this team just isn't a team that's going to go insane from three on most nights. I think in the end KU actually shot a higher % from 3 than we did.

The other part of that first half lead was creating turnovers on defense. I think Reed had a bunch of steals. Both the three point shooting and the turnovers went away in that second half.

I'm not sweating it tho. I'm way more curious to see how we perform when we have our full team as our disposal.

It was basically Dilly playing god awful defense on 2 possessions and shooting a wild air ball and Reeves taking & missing 2 step back 3’s and missing two great opportunities from 3
That’s how you lose
Last 3:34 recap up 6

3:34 Dilly gets lost on defense gives up easy uncontested 3

2:59

Dilly gets caught dancing behind Dickinson moving pick gives up another wide open 3

2:43

Reeves poor shot selection on step back 3

2:35

Edwards dumb reach in foul 2pts made at line by KU

2:15 Dilly wild 3 from corner misses basket left by 4’

2:04

Dickensom flops foul on Mitchell never touched him

2 pt lead for KU

2:04 Shep checks back in

1:48

Another step back 3 Miss for Reeves

1:33 Wagner missed layup

Mitchell fouled

Makes 1-2

1:14 Dickinson scores on contested layup

1:02 Reeves misses wide open 3 off great drive and dish from Sheppard

49 sec

Reeves misses another wide open 3 from great pass from Mitchell

Cats down 3

Called Play failed for Reeves ended up with Sheppard taking a wild 3 trying to get fouled air ball

5.4 KU free throws

Game over

Last edited:
My concern is that we don't really know when the 3 seven footers will play. Talking about the game people say the outcome might be different with one or more of them playing. That's all good and fine, but what if they don't play...any of them? We don't know about Bradshaw (people are worried it's another Sharpe situation), Biz Z (will he be cleared by the NCAA?) or Onyenso (how is his recovery coming along?). At this point none are for sure. Instead of saying "just wait until one or more of them come back, then it will be okay", why don't we try and accept what we have and hope they improve and win WITHOUT possibly the big guys? With our history of injuries, nothing in regard to the 3 seven footers is for sure. Just sayin'.

I think with Big Z tho we'll know one way or the other in a few weeks. Cal said the NCAA has 45 days after they come on campus to make a decision. So a decision will be made one way or the other.

As far as the other two, we have to just figure it's injuries and they will be back at some point.

I think it's far more likely we have SOMEBODY in the future than all three missing.

But if not, yeah they will have to reevaluate how they play. I don't see us contending without one of the three tho IMO. Kansas had a field day on the inside and I can't see mitigating that vs anyone with any size.

My concern is that we don't really know when the 3 seven footers will play. Talking about the game people say the outcome might be different with one or more of them playing. That's all good and fine, but what if they don't play...any of them? We don't know about Bradshaw (people are worried it's another Sharpe situation), Biz Z (will he be cleared by the NCAA?) or Onyenso (how is his recovery coming along?). At this point none are for sure. Instead of saying "just wait until one or more of them come back, then it will be okay", why don't we try and accept what we have and hope they improve and win WITHOUT possibly the big guys? With our history of injuries, nothing in regard to the 3 seven footers is for sure. Just sayin'.
We will have Bradshaw end of month and Z probably sooner - no concerns those 2 not playing

Reactions: susan2361
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT