ADVERTISEMENT

Up 6 with 3:46 to go

Shep took a terrible last shot.

We had lots of mistakes all game long. We held it close to the #1 team in the country all game. Down the stretch, their experience took care of business. This wasn't a Cal problem.

He had a good game plan, we executed it well. Just faltered down the stretch.

Shep made a couple of boneheaded plays there. He was literally at the basket and I thought he was going to lay it up easily, but oddly he tried to kick it out and it was stolen. We'd have tied it there and the game would have definitely ended differently.
I see what you did there. Blame Shep for the loss instead of DJ and Edwards airballing threes that led to easy baskets for KU.

Congrats!

Well everyone on here was screaming for him to put Dillingham back in, and he immediately has a turnover, and then gives up back to back threes to Harris.

I agree that Sheppard should have been in more down the stretch, but we had chances either way, they just made 1 more play than we did.
In a vacuum your last point is logical and fair, but that last statement is literally how you could close out the majority of Cal's big game losses since the Wisconsin game.

At some point, we need to win big-time ball games instead of always convincing ourselves that moral victories matter.

I see what you did there. Blame Shep for the loss instead of DJ and Edwards airballing threes that led to easy baskets for KU.

Congrats!
Well, no.

You're acting like we lost because Cal dared to bench Reed. But Reed had hi own set of mistakes. Most of the guys did.

I think Thiero is the only one who didn't have some big glaring mistake.

I think it's delusional to think we're supposed to win vs the #1 team in the country and Hunter Dickinson with 3 7 footers out.

For the first time in 4 years, I saw a GREAT Kentucky basketball team. Say what you want, things are actually ok for once.
And here come the excuses.

Reactions: TM2013

Congrats!
Nope, I was all in on Shep staying in, but there at the end he mangled it.

Cal is at fault because of his stupid and random sub patterns. He never let his hot players stay in the rhythm, yet insisted on keeping his ice cold Edwards and Wagner in the game.

In the end, Cal's decision to keep those two in the game despite their pathetic showings is what cost us. That and his bowing down to star players' "injuries" until draft day. We won't see 2 of our 3 big guys all year - one because the NCAA won't clear him, and the other because he'll end up playing the Sharpe card. Leaving us stuck with the raw twig.

THAT WAS THE ONLY SHOT REED MISSED ALL GAME.

Reed is not the problem. Cal could have also called timeout when the play broke down (but why would he ever do that).

Edwards and Wagner were the problem tonight. 1-for-18, 3 assists combined. And Reeves taking way too many 3's when he didn't have it. Open ... go for it. Step-back wild ones ... pass to someone else.

And here come the excuses.
I mean, at what point do missing players make it ok to lose?

We were missing 3 guys. If it was 5, is it reasonable to expect a loss vs #1? 7? 12? At what point do we think we're supposed to lose vs #1 down players?

You're ridiculous

Congrats!
Man you’re just looking to argue. Why do we look for someone to blame after every damn loss? We got beat. And one could say we shouldn’t have been that close. Get back in the gym and let’s get better. Damn, some of you are ****ing insufferable.

Cal can’t make them hit open shots or play defense. Cal clearly didn’t want RD to not guard that guy. He couldn’t help Reeves to hit those two wide open threes that would’ve tied. He couldn’t make Tre hit the FT. He probably shouldn’t have subbed out Shep but that’s about the only mistake he made.

I mean, at what point do missing players make it ok to lose?

We were missing 3 guys. If it was 5, is it reasonable to expect a loss vs #1? 7? 12? At what point do we think we're supposed to lose vs #1 down players?

You're ridiculous
You really should re-read the title to the thread, Einstein.

Let me spell it out for you. WE. HAD. THE. LEAD.

Do you need me to draw you a chart?

According to your imbecilic logic, we shouldn't even show up to play games unless we have full strength.

Reactions: KFuqua and TM2013
Shep took a terrible last shot.

We had lots of mistakes all game long. We held it close to the #1 team in the country all game. Down the stretch, their experience took care of business. This wasn't a Cal problem.

He had a good game plan, we executed it well. Just faltered down the stretch.
Sheppard was coming around on a curl and must thought the clock was running down without glancing up to check it. Freshman mistake from a guy that doesn't play like a freshman.

You can say that for I’m guessing 70% of the games UK has played against top 20 teams since 2015. At some point Cal has to win these games.
Sure.

But he doesn't "have to win" against Kansas with a 7'2 260 Lb monster when we don't have anyone to match his size. It's a ridiculous ask. Give him a healthy roster and let's run it back.

I've been very critical of Cal the last 2 or 3 years. But man, I thought tonight was a good showing.

Reactions: postmodernprimate
In a vacuum your last point is logical and fair, but that last statement is literally how you could close out the majority of Cal's big game losses since the Wisconsin game.

At some point, we need to win big-time ball games instead of always convincing ourselves that moral victories matter.

I agree with this as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT