ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelieveable

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
Last time beating this dead horse:
JOHN CALIPARI WAS NOT FIRED, HE LEFT

I have seen far too many posts about running him off or firing him. He had already been announced as the coach for next season AND had a joint video with the AD.

You can have any history you want to believe but for heavens sake don't make it up as we go.

Thank you.

We all had been told he was returning. We bitched and moaned and went on with life.

I was sitting at home on a Sunday evening and my phone started blowing up. Doesn’t seem like he was fired to me.

He felt that chair go from warm to hot and took the first gravy train out of Lexington. He didn’t show humility and fight to fix the mess he made at his “dream job.” He tucked tail and went somewhere else because he likely knew he very well could be fired if he didn’t win big next season.

Cal had next season already guaranteed. But he felt the pressure that a potential buyout could be seriously considered and changes would have to be made. So, he made the agreement with Barnhart and smiled for the cameras, then he went to work looking for an out. He was under contract for 3 more seasons and was gonna be paid $33million to be here. He chose this.

Now, Cal fans will say he was pushed out, and maybe "unofficially" that did happen. UK fans were rightly up in arms. Even the national media members were up in arms. There were very few national talking heads who had anything good to say about Cal. He felt the pressure and, instead of facing it and trying to fix it, he tucked tail and ran away.

I'm glad he did. He saved us $33million. It allowed us to go about our coaching search without having to worry about a buyout. It allows us to start over, which is what we wanted.

I have seen far too many posts about running him off or firing him. He had already been announced as the coach for next season AND had a joint video with the AD.

You can have any history you want to believe but for heavens sake don't make it up as we go.
He left because he knew he was about to get fired within a year or so. Plus his ego couldn't handle the fact that at least 60% of the fanbase hated him, and wanted him gone.

There's a lot of people on the board lately that are very very immune to facts

I am surprised at the lack of rage for his dancing with Ohio State in February while “building his team for March.” THAT is unbelievable.
Makes you wonder about Klutch and OSU. They flirted with Cal and promoted Diebler who quickly signed Bradshaw. I feel like they will heavily influence that program now.

Cal had next season already guaranteed. But he felt the pressure that a potential buyout could be seriously considered and changes would have to be made. So, he made the agreement with Barnhart and smiled for the cameras, then he went to work looking for an out. He was under contract for 3 more seasons and was gonna be paid $33million to be here. He chose this.

Now, Cal fans will say he was pushed out, and maybe "unofficially" that did happen. UK fans were rightly up in arms. Even the national media members were up in arms. There were very few national talking heads who had anything good to say about Cal. He felt the pressure and, instead of facing it and trying to fix it, he tucked tail and ran away.

I'm glad he did. He saved us $33million. It allowed us to go about our coaching search without having to worry about a buyout. It allows us to start over, which is what we wanted.
Excellent post. Thank you. My brain must have taken a vacation or something, because I didn't remember Ohio State and someone said he looked into USC, as well. Wow!!! I'm just glad he's gone AND saved us $33million. Yay!!!

GO BIG BLUE,
AND COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

He also wasn't "forced " out. He left because he couldn't "hide himself"

The writing was on the wall for Calipari and he knew it. Problem is, it was in his own hand writing.

Calipari knew the last 4 years were unacceptable, even by his own standards. I'm sure he would never admit it, for a multitude of reasons, but if you had told him back in 2015 that in 4 straight post-seasons one day he would (1) miss the post-season entirely with the worst season in UK history (2) lose to a 15-seed in the first round (3) lose to an average Kansas St team in the first weekend, and (4) lose to a 14-seed in the first round, after he stopped laughing and realized you were being serious, he would have said that is unacceptable and I would resign if it happened. He did every bit of this to himself. I have some guesses why it all went down as it did, but you'd have to ask him and I don't think he is insightful enough or honest enough with himself to give you an answer.

When Calipari took this job, he said UK was a 10-year job, no more. He considered leaving in 2019 but took a lifetime contract instead. He recently said he probably should have left. He made an Elite 8 that season. He would be seen as a hero right now had he left. As it is, he's either hated, seen as a coward, or just as a recruiter who couldn't coach in games.

He publicly said that the man was the head coach. Went on camera and went to bat for him, only for the narcissistic prick to leave
He said that before finding out with certainty that Cal had spoken with Ohio State without asking for UK's permission, which constituted a breach of contract. At that point, MB had everything he needed to push Cal out the door ... and Cal knew it.

I don’t think anyone has falsely claimed that he was “fired”. At least I’ve not seen that. Can you cite examples?

But I don’t think it’s all that inaccurate to say he was “run off.” That’s a term that in sports refers to as situation where a coach is made to feel so no longer welcome that he decides he needs to leave. There certainly is a good degree of truth to that here.

And I’ve got no problem with it. Did we run Cal off? Yes, we kinda did. So what?

Makes good copy.

Those who said Cal was run off are just Cal supporters

Reactions: KFuqua
I am surprised at the lack of rage for his dancing with Ohio State in February while “building his team for March.” THAT is unbelievable.
I don't understand why we would have rage, I have looked for jobs while working and still did my job to the best of my ability. If everyone in the office wanted me to leave, yeah I would be looking, and lastly, didn't we want him to leave or did we want him to leave without a job?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT