ADVERTISEMENT

UK to host Northern Illinois in 2022.

Why tho? We get nothing out of beating them and stand to lose lots of credibility if we lose
Exactly. If you’re going to schedule a team that could possibly beat you why not at least make it a P5 team. I know you’d have to return a trip to Rutgers or Kansas but are we really afraid of those teams at this point in the rebuild?

Exactly. If you’re going to schedule a team that could possibly beat you why not at least make it a P5 team. I know you’d have to return a trip to Rutgers or Kansas but are we really afraid of those teams at this point in the rebuild?

Hone game with no return = more revenue. And it’s getting harder and harder to get these types of games. The other part of playing Kansas and Rutgers is these teams probably do not want to play a Kentucky? What does that do to their “rebuilding” efforts.

Scheduling is a lot harder than just saying, Let’s play team x.

Why tho? We get nothing out of beating them and stand to lose lots of credibility if we lose
What you say here is true for most games on most P5 football schedules. The process of building future schedules is a lot more complicated than people think. Not a lot of schools are interested in scheduling 2022 games against a team whose win totals have trended straight in the upward direction from 2013-17 under a new coaching staff. You can't just take your pick.

What you say here is true for most games on most P5 football schedules. The process of building future schedules is a lot more complicated than people think.
The SEC chooses to make it more complicated by refusing to play more of its own conference members. 3/4 other P5 conferences play 9 conference games vs, SEC's 8 and so have less need for out of conference opponents & thus make scheduling easier. Net, don't complain about scheduling difficulties you partially create. And save the whine about how tough the SEC is.

Reactions: gojvc
I’ve said for years that Kentucky needs to schedule a series with Marshall. It’s usually a good team and would be a respectable win in most years. There’s nothing wrong with doing a 3-1 or a 4-1 with them because it’s so close.

Northern Illinois has been much better than Kansas and Rutgers over the years. A loss to Kansas would be worse than a loss to northern Illinois. Kansas is worse than a lot of 1-AA schools.

Kansas has won 3 games total in the last 3 years. What do you gain by beating this team? What do you lose by losing to this team?

Hone game with no return = more revenue. And it’s getting harder and harder to get these types of games. The other part of playing Kansas and Rutgers is these teams probably do not want to play a Kentucky? What does that do to their “rebuilding” efforts.

Scheduling is a lot harder than just saying, Let’s play team x.
There are few things in this world that are as easy as they look to an outsider. But if there was really a desire to play a series with another P5 school we could do it.

Reactions: vhcat70
A lot of time between now and 2022. I don't care for these games at all....Id just as soon get rid of them and have P5s only play P5s.....that being said that's not happening any time soon and by 2022 NIU could be the next UCF and we could be back to 2-10n or we could be going 10-2 and they could be trying not to fold a la UAB. A lot of time between now and then.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
UK gets something if they beat NIU, they get a win. What's wrong with that? Also, why are you worried about losing? It's a game that's several years away; no need to worry about it for any reason right now.
i'd like to think that if we schedule a P5 team instead that we could expect a win. Rather low standard imo to expect a win vs. a non-P5 team. How about scheduling & expecting a win vs, a P5 opponent?

UK gets something if they beat NIU, they get a win. What's wrong with that? Also, why are you worried about losing? It's a game that's several years away; no need to worry about it for any reason right now.

Yep.....it's 5 seasons from now. I guess some people just want to get a head start on the hand wringing.

i'd like to think that if we schedule a P5 team instead that we could expect a win. Rather low standard imo to expect a win vs. a non-P5 team. How about scheduling & expecting a win vs, a P5 opponent?

Maybe because just a few years ago we were back to back 2 win seasons. ul proved if you get enough cupcakes to show recruits you are winning big, you get better recruits and better bowls. Try scheduling teams that are a 50 50 chance of losing, that will keep you down while trying to rebuild.

Yep.....it's 5 seasons from now. I guess some people just want to get a head start on the hand wringing.

Not to worry, by then Sluggo will have run Stoops off and we will probably have Saban for our coach.

UK is going to play nine Power 5 teams every season; that's plenty.

Here are the teams who play ten or more Power 5 teams in the 2018 season:
Texas
West Virginia
Ohio State
Purdue

Only 4 of the 64 Power 5 teams schedule ten or more games against other P5 programs.

Notice how many big-time programs don't schedule more than nine Power 5 teams. Playing in a Power 5 conference is tough enough, so why make it that much more difficult? Instead of Central Michigan, Murray State, and Middle Tennessee for 2018, who would you have rather seen? I think this is a good schedule as CMU and MTSU have consistently been bowling the last several years (CMU 5 of the last 6 years, MTSU 4 of the last 5 years) and then with Murray State, we need at least one game where a lot of young players can get some experience.

There are plenty of things to complain about, this is not one of them.

***editor's note: I meant more than 10 games. I shouldn't post when I'm tired."

Last edited:

Texas
West Virginia
Ohio State
Purdue

Only 4 of the 64 Power 5 teams schedule ten or more games against other P5 programs.

Notice how many big-time programs don't schedule more than nine Power 5 teams. Playing in a Power 5 conference is tough enough, so why make it that much more difficult? Instead of Central Michigan, Murray State, and Middle Tennessee for 2018, who would you have rather seen? I think this is a good schedule as CMU and MTSU have consistently been bowling the last several years (CMU 5 of the last 6 years, MTSU 4 of the last 5 years) and then with Murray State, we need at least one game where a lot of young players can get some experience.

I know right off the top of my head this is factually wrong. USC plays 11. I’d be surprised if most PAC-12 and Big-12 teams didn’t play 10 given that they play nine conference games. Try again on that one.

Edit: Oh yeah, the B1G plays nine conference games too. Good grief. SMH.

Last edited:
Dustarm20 and gojvc just looked up each B1G teams schedule and every team except Illinois, Wisky and Minnesota play 10 P5 games. Some even play 11.

Having said that, Illinois 3rd game that isn't a P5 team is South Florida and Wisky's is BYU, so not like they haven't scheduled quality opponents.

Texas
West Virginia
Ohio State
Purdue

Times infinity! I wish I could like this post multiple times.

Texas
West Virginia
Ohio State
Purdue

You have a bad data source. Most all PAC12/B1G/Big 12 schools play 10 P5 schools since the play 9 game conference schedules & most all play a non-conference P5 opponent. And at least USC & WV play 11 P5 opponents this year. So yea, 9 for UK is really, really tough.

That is not a "whine," it is a chant and simple reality. Just check out the pro drafts, bowl records, total revenue, etc. etc., the last 40 years or so.
It is a whine if you use that as an excuse to not play more than 9 P5 games a year as about half do or to claim that scheduling out-of-conference games is tough because you don't want to play another P5 school.

Last edited:
Times infinity! I wish I could like this post multiple times.

Hard to overestimate the value of a bowl game, and we had missed FIVE in a row before the last couple under Stoops.

Time to worry about upgrading our schedule when we start upgrading our recruiting to top 4 or 5 --------in the SEC. We STILL have a lot of ground to make up, we definitely wasted a lot of YEARS getting started.

Looks like Transfer U is about even with us in recruiting, but as usual they have about five JC transfers AND the THREE P5 transfers eligible this year don't show up on their recruiting standings.

Last edited:
OK, RV, if you enjoy factually incorrect posts.

He may have some facts screwed up but I concur with the general thought in that when a school is playing in what is arguably the toughest conference in the country, and struggling to improve the program, there's no need to create obstacles of one's own making.

Reactions: JDHoss and jauk11

Hmmmm.

I wonder if there aren't about 50 other P5 teams that would like to play those two teams every year also.

Maybe we could play them some time as their second game that week.

This. Our continued scheduling of strong mid major programs blows my mind.

Reactions: TotesMcGotes

Texas
West Virginia
Ohio State
Purdue

***editor's note: I meant more than 10 games. I shouldn't post when I'm tired."

While not in a P5 conference, they have a P5 affiliation with the ACC, how does ND not count as playing a P5 opponent? Counting ND, UGA played 10 in 17, also played 10 in 16, UNC and GT. But only have 9 in 18

For the record, just as a fan, I would ten to one rather see decent games than the OVC/Mtn West/Gulf Coast bum of the month club

That being said, I understand why we don't schedule another tough P5 opponent, and in addition, I have no problem with the home and home with Southern Miss, they play a lot of SEC teams and are a respectable program, and in fact, we should have won both games, just choked away the 2016 game. Cincinnati would be another respectable non P5 opponent that would jazz up the schedule yet give us a much better than 50-50 chance of winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT