ADVERTISEMENT

UK Recruiting is BACK

Aside from Cal being revitalized, two other things have helped us immensely in recruiting.

1. NIL. NIL obviously does a couple of things.

A. We're not going to lose guys to random schools. I think we'll see a lot less Cade Cunningham to OK State, Jaden McDaniels to Washington, etc.

B. It takes away the "dropped the bag" factor. Zion and Marvin Bagley's family get money/housing/etc. to go to Duke. The NCAA can't prove it or doesn't care. I'm sure there are smaller scale versions.

2. Coach K retired. Sure, Duke's 22 class is good. But K played a part in that. Scheyer will keep them at a high level, but K's God-like Status helped them surpass us in recruiting. Now we're taking the mantle back.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Hey dipshit. Learn to read. Here’s the article you plagiarized. Too bad it was JIMMY BUTLER who was 73rd in Texas, not Olajuwon. Olajuwon went to HS in Nigeria.
Schooled by a girl…twice.
Second degree BURN.

Last edited:
I sure hope we all feel this way during the 4 months starting in November

2018 Duke landed (RSCI)
1. RJ Barrett
2. Cam Reddish
4. Zion
Cal was coaching a Duke team that year and K was coaching a Cal team. Both fared as well. Both could have won a titles with the other person’s team. Weird

Last edited:
I think Lucas is one of the best recruiting assistants in the country. Multiple people in the know have said Lucas and Cal were miles apart in terms of philosphy and that was a big (if not the main) driving force in Lucas to Duke.

Since Lucas left--we've seen a change in Cal. We're offering kids early. We're seeing Cal take a more hands on approach. Cal has changed--because he had to. You can't have Lucas and Scheyer getting on kids early while UK stands there hoping kids show up at our door.

Others have said it in other threads, but Lucas leaving was a blessing in disguise. Not because he's a bad recruiter. He's elite. But it woke Calipari up.
I was told Lucas’ departure was the apocalypse. I’ve been in a bunker since that day. Is it safe to come out ?

2018 Duke landed (RSCI)
1. RJ Barrett
2. Cam Reddish
4. Zion
They did this year too. Lively, Whitehead and Filipowski are top 5 and most have Lively and Whitehead as the top 2, some have Nick Smith second. They have five 5 stars counting the reclassified Proctor and two 4 stars along with three good transfers for experience and depth. Just sick.

Last edited:
It’s almost funny anymore how our posters know all about John Calipari. There are still many on here who think he can’t coach and should have been fired last season. I want Kentucky to be successful because I’m a life-long fan, but also to show how stupid some of you are that have been spouting your vitriol about the program and our coach.
Fact is, Cal has always been a great coach that knows how to win. Most of your posts are not going to age well after this season
He's been mesmerized by the snake oil again, ladies and gentlemen!

They did this year too. Lively, Whitehead and Filipowski are top 5 and most have Lively and Whitehead as the top 2, some have Nick Smith second. They have five 5 stars counting the reclassified Proctor and two 4 stars along with three good transfers for experience and depth. Just sick.

Two centers. Two wings who can’t shoot. And a Top 25ish reclass.

Lopsided and coached by a likely hack.

Just sick.

It’s almost funny anymore how our posters know all about John Calipari. There are still many on here who think he can’t coach and should have been fired last season. I want Kentucky to be successful because I’m a life-long fan, but also to show how stupid some of you are that have been spouting your vitriol about the program and our coach.
Fact is, Cal has always been a great coach that knows how to win. Most of your posts are not going to age well after this season
You very well may be the owner of the dumbest post of the day. Do you have any awareness at all? Do you understand that you can say anything but that doesn’t make it true?

We haven’t won SHT. I’m glad some good recruits are coming in and I am surprised a bit, but past that we’ve lost a lot under Calipari’s watch lately. A LOT. He hasn’t won anything. And recruiting is a necessary ingredient to success but it’s not the cake. You’re counting it as the cake. And you’re being arrogant about it which just makes you, well, dumb.

So don’t pretend to defend the program because the program has been suffering. And your stupid post doesn’t change a thing about that.

2. Coach K retired. Sure, Duke's 22 class is good. But K played a part in that. Scheyer will keep them at a high level, but K's God-like Status helped them surpass us in recruiting. Now we're taking the mantle back.

This is what I’m praying for. I’m waiting to see what Dukes next 3 classes will look like, and will they see a slide. If it’s not top tier #1, K’s shine was the sole reason (it was). Once he’s finally removed and Scheyer moves him out of his office, or he’s too old and largely ignored whether he likes it or not, that’s when we’ll see how powerful he was to the brand.

Coach K said he’s not going anywhere and their succession plan was excellent. Meaning he’s going to be the “president” of operations while Scheyer takes over daily duties. We’ll see how long he can pull that off and if it will even work.

I was told Lucas’ departure was the apocalypse. I’ve been in a bunker since that day. Is it safe to come out ?
Well, to be fair.

Duke had already surpassed us in recruiting. Our recruiting has been on a downturn for years. And then one of the best recruiters in the nation leaves us for Duke. It did some pretty bad at the time.

Wow. And thank you because I am a girl who you could never sniff. And thanks for the random off-point ramble. That doesn’t change the fact that Ugonna is ranked 35th, which is not top 20. I’m sorry that has to be explained to you.
There are many rankings Nancy
He is 18th in On3 in 2022.
and Karen
Look at the top 30 parade all american high school players of 1980 Akeem is no where to be found.
If you want to beat down your own players go right ahead.
Maybe if you shaved your pits and your mustache you could get a date.

Well, to be fair.

Duke had already surpassed us in recruiting. Our recruiting has been on a downturn for years. And then one of the best recruiters in the nation leaves us for Duke. It did some pretty bad at the time.

Just pump every situation and say the word NEGATIVE as many times as you can. Apparently you can create your own reality this way.

Aside from Cal being revitalized, two other things have helped us immensely in recruiting.

1. NIL. NIL obviously does a couple of things.

A. We're not going to lose guys to random schools. I think we'll see a lot less Cade Cunningham to OK State, Jaden McDaniels to Washington, etc.

B. It takes away the "dropped the bag" factor. Zion and Marvin Bagley's family get money/housing/etc. to go to Duke. The NCAA can't prove it or doesn't care. I'm sure there are smaller scale versions.

#1 rated class of 22= Duke
#1 rated class of 23 (thus far)= Duke

You very well may be the owner of the dumbest post of the day. Do you have any awareness at all? Do you understand that you can say anything but that doesn’t make it true?

We haven’t won SHT. I’m glad some good recruits are coming in and I am surprised a bit, but past that we’ve lost a lot under Calipari’s watch lately. A LOT. He hasn’t won anything. And recruiting is a necessary ingredient to success but it’s not the cake. You’re counting it as the cake. And you’re being arrogant about it which just makes you, well, dumb.

So don’t pretend to defend the program because the program has been suffering. And your stupid post doesn’t change a thing about that.
You’re too negative and self-assured in your own opinion to debate. Let’s just see who ends up on the right side of things. I’m sticking with the Cats.

Just pump every situation and say the word NEGATIVE as many times as you can. Apparently you can create your own reality this way.
I'm not sure what you're saying. I could take this as you agree with me or disagree with me haha.

Reactions: Gromcat
You’re too negative and self-assured in your own opinion to debate. Let’s just see who ends up on the right side of things. I’m sticking with the Cats.

@Cats192 lol there ya go. The word to end all words.

@BBNinSC No, you’re sticking with a coach. I’m waiting to see if that coach is going to turn it around so my team can begin to win again and if not, he needs to go.

You need much better reading comprehension I’m being serious too.

@Cats192 lol there ya go. The word to end all words.

@BBNinSC No, you’re sticking with a coach. I’m waiting to see if that coach is going to turn it around so my team can begin to win again and if not, he needs to go.

You need much better reading comprehension I’m being serious too.
Someone didn’t love you enough. Hang in there

Someone didn’t love you enough. Hang in there

Maybe I needed to be loved more as a kid. Doesn’t change the fact that you need better reading comprehension and you’re okay with losing so long as the guy that convincingly sold you a lemon remains in charge. Get some balls.

Also doesn’t change the fact that you’re upset, not with seeing UK lose, but that a fan has a problem with it because it reflects poorly on a coach.

That’s just stupid and not worth the time. But I’ll gladly sell you a car if you want one.

Well, to be fair.

What had Lucas really done to prove he’s one of the best recruiters in the nation? Asking seriously. I don’t follow recruiting that closely.

What had Lucas really done to prove he’s one of the best recruiters in the nation? Asking seriously. I don’t follow recruiting that closely.
At Texas, he landed Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen, and Greg Brown.

At UK, he was the lead recruiter for Tyty and Sharpe (I know, I know). He also helped recruit Damion Collins and Cason Wallace.

The Texas stuff I would consider more impressive. IIRC we were hot after Bamba and Brown. Landing those when Kentucky was battling for them is something. Allen we never prioritized like we maybe should have. Still, impressive to get such a talent.

There are many rankings Nancy
He is 18th in On3 in 2022.
and Karen
Look at the top 30 parade all american high school players of 1980 Akeem is no where to be found.
If you want to beat down your own players go right ahead.
Maybe if you shaved your pits and your mustache you could get a date.
I think the wittle girl has made Teeney Weeney upset 😢 by exposing Teeney’s “short”comings in basketball knowledge.

It’s nice to see him building up a championship caliber team. With that said, I’ll make a prediction:

If these guys are legit and we get a FF appearance, then Calipari’s recruitment strategy was awesome

If these guys don’t pan out quite as expected, or if they don’t click together for whatever reason, then his whole “Elite talent 1-and-done” recruiting methodology is terrible and has been for years

‘Tis the Big Blue way

Screw FF appearance. It is title or bust. Freaking Kansas just won one with a team of nobodies.

Two centers. Two wings who can’t shoot. And a Top 25ish reclass.

Lopsided and coached by a likely hack.

Just sick.
You say that like adding the top 2 centers in the country is a bad thing. Filipowski is a good 3 point shooter and will stretch the floor, he can play the 4 or 5. Wings that can't shoot? So you wouldn't take Whitehead and Mitchell?

At least one scout said Schutt is the best shooter in this class, and Proctor is a good shooter. Grandison has been a great shooter for four years, has good size, athleticism and will probably start at the two or three alongside Whitehead who has been ranked 1 and no lower than 4 in the rankings I've seen.
This isn't a lopsided roster at all, they're loaded. I hate Duke but it is what it is. Scheyer could experiment with several different lineups, only he could mess this up. I think Duke if often overrated, this year I think they're being overlooked somewhat because of Scheyer and that might be right but on paper this team is as talented an any Duke team I can remember.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
You say that like adding the top 2 centers in the country is a bad thing. Filipowski is a good 3 point shooter and will stretch the floor, he can play the 4 or 5. Wings that can't shoot? So you wouldn't take Whitehead and Mitchell?

At least one scout said Schutt is the best shooter in this class, and Proctor is a good shooter. Grandison has been a great shooter for four years, has good size, athleticism and will probably start at the two or three alongside Whitehead who has been ranked 1 and no lower than 4 in the rankings I've seen.
This isn't a lopsided roster at all, they're loaded. I hate Duke but it is what it is. Scheyer could experiment with several different lineups, only he could mess this up. I think Duke if often overrated, this year I think they're being overlooked somewhat because of Scheyer and that might be right but on paper this team is as talented an any Duke team I can remember.

You can’t play two centers together in 2022. It messes up spacing and hurts you defensively- especially freshmen.

And your last sentence is completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised with the recruiting right now. Pretty much didn’t expect it, although it’s not at the levels of before but I think strained relationships and some perks we can’t offer are more to the reason for that.

They still have to play, produce, and win. It’s all for nothing if those things don’t all happen together.

Calipari has always been one of those guys that has to have fire. Without it he’ll just lie down and get clipped while laughing about it. He was always best when he wanted a seat at the big boys table. His run in Memphis was about proving himself when no one would hire him. He was angry.

Let’s hope that’s the guy we have. It’s entirely possible with all of the doubting going on. We’ll see.
Funny how soon we forget. Cal is generally considered the greatest recruiter of all time. If we’re rated outside the top 2 or 3, he’s a bum and can’t recruit. We have way too many fair weather fans who are pessimistic, unrealistic, and unappreciative. Nothing short of a NCAA title every year is good enough. We have some of the best fans in the country, and some of the very worst. We don’t need those fans.

Funny how soon we forget. Cal is generally considered the greatest recruiter of all time. If we’re rated outside the top 2 or 3, he’s a bum and can’t recruit. We have way too many fair weather fans who are pessimistic, unrealistic, and unappreciative. Nothing short of a NCAA title every year is good enough. We have some of the best fans in the country, and some of the very worst. We don’t need those fans.

You keep misusing fair weather fan lol. Is that the only phrase you know? You say it constantly.

I’ve explained this to you too many times. A fair weather fan wouldn’t be here right now, they’d have already joined Duke or Kansas, programs currently winning a a high rate. Fair weather fans do not get on a message board and critique a team that’s been pretty bad the last few years and underachieved in the others. So if I were a fair weather fan I would not be here continuing to hang on to an underachieving program, I’d be looking for greener pastures lol.

Try to comprehend this. It’s not hard just accept it.

As for your other comments it’s not worth my time. This is the greatest program of all time and Calipari has consistently underachieved, and we’ve lost our position in the overall landscape under his watch. We’ve been blown out repeatedly by rivals teams, some to a WOW level. If you can’t understand why fans are upset with him, then you might want to pick another team because we don’t need fans who are content watching UK turn into Indiana.

And is Calipari the greatest recruiter of all time? I’m not sure about that. I think he had one of the more revolutionary styles of all time that aided a stretch of the best recruiting we’ve seen, but he was slow to adapt and coach K sort of snuck in on him. I think most people would say Calipari is one of the best recruiters of all time, but the best? I think coaches who consistently win by scouting should be in that conversation. To me coach K and Calipari might be considered the best elite recruiters of all time, but maybe not necessarily the best “recruiters” of all time.

Last edited:

Getting Grandison and Proctor changed the calculus a lot. I agree and think they are being overlooked right now. Their biggest issue will be Jeremy Roach at PG, but he could improve a lot going from a So to a Jr.

Rob working out with CP3 and Booker I thought was pretty cool and noteworthy.

In the past six weeks we have added two top 10 recruits in 2023 in Dillingham and Edwards and Ugonna Kingsley (top 20 in 2022 even after reclass) today.

A refocus on getting UK back to being UK on the recruiting trails is evident - love the assistant core and the impact on the recruiting trail they are having. Amazing to say we have had a few off years even though every class Cal has brought in has been in the top 3. Just a different feel now - lets keep it rolling!

Super class here we come!! Go Big Blue!
How about we forget the recruiting hype and focus on what it takes to win championships. Clearly, winning the recruiting sweepstakes does not result in championships....if it did, we would not have room to hang all of the banners.

• Haha
Reactions: BallerBegok
How about we forget the recruiting hype and focus on what it takes to win championships. Clearly, winning the recruiting sweepstakes does not result in championships....if it did, we would not have room to hang all of the banners.

You get right on that while us UK fans enjoy the ride.

You get right on that while us UK fans enjoy the ride.
How do all of the previous off-season championship trophies feel from the past 8 years or so? He's right you know. Basically Cal is never winning a title with a bunch of 5 star freshmen leading the way.

How do all of the previous off-season championship trophies feel from the past 8 years or so? He's right you know. Basically Cal is never winning a title with a bunch of 5 star freshmen leading the way.
Condolences. Sorry to hear that your smile is permantely upside down.............over entertainment.

In basically 4 months this has transpired at UK in basketball:

-The Reigning NPOTY Oscar Tshiebwe returns to UK.
~Savhir Wheeler UKs PG and assist leader last season returns to UK
-Jacob Toppin UKs 6’10 PF returns to UK
-Antonio Reeves 6’6 upperclassmen from Ill. St. who avg. 20 ppg transfers to UK
-Top 5 2023 recruit Robert “Dilly Dilly” Dillingham commits to UK
-Top 5 2023 recruit Justin Edwards commits to UK
-Top 25 2022 recruit Ugonna “UK” Kingsley commits to UK
-#1 2023 recruit DJ Wagner is a strong Kentucky lean.
Kentucky is easily the hottest program in the country right now and its not close!
Greatest 4 month offseason stretch in Kentucky basketball history.
Uh no the greatest 4 month offseason was when the entire 2014 team returned.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT