ADVERTISEMENT

UK Recruiting is BACK

Galbpt02

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2012
In the past six weeks we have added two top 10 recruits in 2023 in Dillingham and Edwards and Ugonna Kingsley (top 20 in 2022 even after reclass) today.

A refocus on getting UK back to being UK on the recruiting trails is evident - love the assistant core and the impact on the recruiting trail they are having. Amazing to say we have had a few off years even though every class Cal has brought in has been in the top 3. Just a different feel now - lets keep it rolling!

Super class here we come!! Go Big Blue!

oh-my-god-its-happening.gif

I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised with the recruiting right now. Pretty much didn’t expect it, although it’s not at the levels of before but I think strained relationships and some perks we can’t offer are more to the reason for that.

They still have to play, produce, and win. It’s all for nothing if those things don’t all happen together.

Calipari has always been one of those guys that has to have fire. Without it he’ll just lie down and get clipped while laughing about it. He was always best when he wanted a seat at the big boys table. His run in Memphis was about proving himself when no one would hire him. He was angry.

Let’s hope that’s the guy we have. It’s entirely possible with all of the doubting going on. We’ll see.

In the past six weeks we have added two top 10 recruits in 2023 in Dillingham and Edwards and Ugonna Kingsley (top 20 in 2022 even after reclass) today.

A refocus on getting UK back to being UK on the recruiting trails is evident - love the assistant core and the impact on the recruiting trail they are having. Amazing to say we have had a few off years even though every class Cal has brought in has been in the top 3. Just a different feel now - lets keep it rolling!

Super class here we come!! Go Big Blue!
Ugonna is 35th on Rivals (not top 20), but still a nice pickup.

It’s nice to see him building up a championship caliber team. With that said, I’ll make a prediction:

If these guys are legit and we get a FF appearance, then Calipari’s recruitment strategy was awesome

If these guys don’t pan out quite as expected, or if they don’t click together for whatever reason, then his whole “Elite talent 1-and-done” recruiting methodology is terrible and has been for years

‘Tis the Big Blue way

Reactions: YouKay
Ugonna is 35th on Rivals (not top 20), but still a nice pickup.
Kats meow is a nice girls name

By the way
Akeem “the Dream” Olajuwon from Nigeria ranked 73rd in the state of Texas coming out of High School. Not in the country BUT out of the state. Some people always want to splash mud on a great day. Just your nature huh Nancy?

Last edited:
Reactions: Galbpt02
Don’t forget the signing of the #1 recruit of the 2022 class. And I’m not entirely joking actually. Hear me out. I think Cal is now selling the program as an “NIL first program”, really no different from before selling it as “player’s first”. Allowing Sharpe to come here to “build his brand” may have had more influence than we think. Still not happy about Sharpe, but we are watching as the NIL changes the game. And we all knew that pretty much no one was in a better position than Kentucky in college basketball when it comes to NIL. Now I can’t say it was my desire for Kentucky to become an “NIL first” program, but I also can’t say right now that it’s not what I want. If it leads to landing premier recruits, and premier recruits lead to Championships, then that’s what I want. If not, then I don’t.

And this isn’t a defense of Cal on the Sharpe situation. That, the 9 win season, and the St. Peter’s loss are all indefensible. And that’s what we’ve experienced lately as fans. Hard not to have a sour taste in our mouths. However, I think we all have reason to believe there are brighter days on the horizon, but we aren’t settling for winning a couple tourney games. Multiple final 4s are a must over the next 5 years and a Championship.

Where are all the posters that thought UK was done when Jain Lucas left? 😂 Never understood the uproar over that one.
Well, I mean he did depart for duke. You know, our most heated recruiting rival, hands down. He knows the inside workings of our program and can now relay all that info to the duke staff. Make no mistake, that’s a net negative for us.

Where are all the posters that thought UK was done when Jain Lucas left? 😂 Never understood the uproar over that one.
I think it’s more of Chin and Antigua having a full year on the recruiting trail but I think getting KT as a replacement was a great move. If we land Holland that shows that his Texas connections are still as strong as ever. I never liked the optics of Lucas going to Duke but it showed Jai wasn’t a UK guy so he may not have been doing squat on the trail anyway.

In basically 4 months this has transpired at UK in basketball:

-The Reigning NPOTY Oscar Tshiebwe returns to UK.
~Savhir Wheeler UKs PG and assist leader last season returns to UK
-Jacob Toppin UKs 6’10 PF returns to UK
-Antonio Reeves 6’6 upperclassmen from Ill. St. who avg. 20 ppg transfers to UK
-Top 5 2023 recruit Robert “Dilly Dilly” Dillingham commits to UK
-Top 5 2023 recruit Justin Edwards commits to UK
-Top 25 2022 recruit Ugonna “UK” Kingsley commits to UK
-#1 2023 recruit DJ Wagner is a strong Kentucky lean.
Kentucky is easily the hottest program in the country right now and its not close!
Greatest 4 month offseason stretch in Kentucky basketball history.

Last edited:
Well, I mean he did depart for duke. You know, our most heated recruiting rival, hands down. He knows the inside workings of our program and can now relay all that info to the duke staff. Make no mistake, that’s a net negative for us.
Lucas was not the sharpest knife in the drawer in terms of recruiting. I don’t think we lose anything much by him being there. Their coaches know our stuff just like we know theirs.

I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised with the recruiting right now. Pretty much didn’t expect it, although it’s not at the levels of before but I think strained relationships and some perks we can’t offer are more to the reason for that.

They still have to play, produce, and win. It’s all for nothing if those things don’t all happen together.

Calipari has always been one of those guys that has to have fire. Without it he’ll just lie down and get clipped while laughing about it. He was always best when he wanted a seat at the big boys table. His run in Memphis was about proving himself when no one would hire him. He was angry.

Let’s hope that’s the guy we have. It’s entirely possible with all of the doubting going on. We’ll see.
It’s almost funny anymore how our posters know all about John Calipari. There are still many on here who think he can’t coach and should have been fired last season. I want Kentucky to be successful because I’m a life-long fan, but also to show how stupid some of you are that have been spouting your vitriol about the program and our coach.
Fact is, Cal has always been a great coach that knows how to win. Most of your posts are not going to age well after this season

It’s almost funny anymore how our posters know all about John Calipari. There are still many on here who think he can’t coach and should have been fired last season. I want Kentucky to be successful because I’m a life-long fan, but also to show how stupid some of you are that have been spouting your vitriol about the program and our coach.
Fact is, Cal has always been a great coach that knows how to win. Most of your posts are not going to age well after this season
Cal is not a great coach
He is an average coach
He makes no in game adjustments, never changes his style of play on offense or defense
Great coaches make those types of adjustments

I've been as salty as anyone but Cal has been knocking it out of the park this offseason. Keep it up Coach. This is how you shut us up. Looking forward to Bahamas.
Agreed. After that loss to St Peter's, I don't think anyone really knew what to expect. Coupled with the losing season in 2020-21, it was doom and gloom for the program. I think Cal had to decide whether he was done at UK or if he was going to push to return the program to what we saw from 2010-2015. Many fans had given up on that thought. I doubt we'll ever hear much from Calipari about his thought process through all this, but it seems clear to me he has decided to finish his career here and push even harder. The NIL money has to be a help to recruiting. The loss of Coach K from Duke has likely helped as well. We've definitely had a bunch of good news since the end of the season, starting with the return of Oscar, continuing with the 2023 commitments, and now with the completion of the 2022-23 roster with Kingsley. It's been one good thing after another in recent weeks, and it's a welcome change as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what I'm more excited about right now, the returning team (which we get to see in this Bahamas tour) or the potential recruiting class for next season. Both are reasons for optimism. Hoping for the best. :)

Agreed. After that loss to St Peter's, I don't think anyone really knew what to expect. Coupled with the losing season in 2020-21, it was doom and gloom for the program. I think Cal had to decide whether he was done at UK or if he was going to push to return the program to what we saw from 2010-2015. Many fans had given up on that thought. I doubt we'll ever hear much from Calipari about his thought process through all this, but it seems clear to me he has decided to finish his career here and push even harder. The NIL money has to be a help to recruiting. The loss of Coach K from Duke has likely helped as well. We've definitely had a bunch of good news since the end of the season, starting with the return of Oscar, continuing with the 2023 commitments, and now with the completion of the 2022-23 roster with Kingsley. It's been one good thing after another in recent weeks, and it's a welcome change as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what I'm more excited about right now, the returning team (which we get to see in this Bahamas tour) or the potential recruiting class for next season. Both are reasons for optimism. Hoping for the best. :)
After St Peter's Cal needed to shut up and walk the walk instead of talk. So far he's done that. I thought maybe he'd lost the fire but he seems to be back at it with Swaggy Cal moves. I'm glad to see it. I'll give praise when it's due just as I'll criticize the hell out of him when it's deserved.

I think what frustrates some of the so called negative posters on here is the folks who refused to give criticism when it was CLEARLY warranted. Just as there are negative Nancy's who won't give Cal any credit no matter what he does. Most of us really fall in the middle. My gut said he'd lost it but so far he's shutting me up this offseason. My expectations are the highest they've been probably since 2017 team. This is a roster that can cut down the nets if Sahvir takes a step forward.

By the way
Akeem “the Dream” Olajuwon from Nigeria ranked 73rd in the state of Texas coming out of High School. Not in the country BUT out of the state. Some people always want to splash mud on a great day. Just your nature huh Nancy?
Wow. And thank you because I am a girl who you could never sniff. And thanks for the random off-point ramble. That doesn’t change the fact that Ugonna is ranked 35th, which is not top 20. I’m sorry that has to be explained to you.

By the way
Hey dipshit. Learn to read. Here’s the article you plagiarized. Too bad it was JIMMY BUTLER who was 73rd in Texas, not Olajuwon. Olajuwon went to HS in Nigeria.
Schooled by a girl…twice.

Last edited:
Lucas was not the sharpest knife in the drawer in terms of recruiting. I don’t think we lose anything much by him being there. Their coaches know our stuff just like we know theirs.
Lucas is supposedly a good recruiter, the sources say guys said that he had philosophical differences with Cal and that Cal didn’t agree with the way he wanted to do things.

Lucas wanted to start recruiting guys earlier in their high school careers and Cal wasn’t interested in that strategy or something.

Lucas is supposedly a good recruiter, the sources say guys said that he had philosophical differences with Cal and that Cal didn’t agree with the way he wanted to do things.

Lucas wanted to start recruiting guys earlier in their high school careers and Cal wasn’t interested in that strategy or something.
Not saying that’s not true but since Lucas left we are offering kids early. I hated for him to leave but getting Turner and the other coaches hitting the recruiting trail have things looking better. We haven’t been doing this well for years.

I think Lucas is one of the best recruiting assistants in the country. Multiple people in the know have said Lucas and Cal were miles apart in terms of philosphy and that was a big (if not the main) driving force in Lucas to Duke.

Since Lucas left--we've seen a change in Cal. We're offering kids early. We're seeing Cal take a more hands on approach. Cal has changed--because he had to. You can't have Lucas and Scheyer getting on kids early while UK stands there hoping kids show up at our door.

Others have said it in other threads, but Lucas leaving was a blessing in disguise. Not because he's a bad recruiter. He's elite. But it woke Calipari up.

Reactions: bigbluedon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT