ADVERTISEMENT

UK pushing badly for 6’10” 4 star Frank Anselem

Nope. They've already mentioned pro talk in this article. So after the first or second year if this guy is not good enough for the NBA then he will either transfer or play overseas. Dudes on this board get mad when you say this but the numbers don't lie. We've had 5 guys total play past their second year under Cal. Two of the guys were injured and two were from Ky. Everybody else left. I hope he sticks it out but the percentages are that he will not.
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/4/2...-recruiting-predictions-frank-anselem-recruit
Honestly, with project recruits, I wish "pro" and "NBA" weren't even discussed.

Although most assumed he was headed for the NBA after this season, Cauley-Stein was clearly torn the night the Wildcats lost to Connecticut in the title game.

"I feel this emptiness in me like I still got something to prove and I still got so much stuff to work on in my game," he said then. "I went up from last year and now I want to take another step. I want to make another jump in my game. … And I love school. I love being at Kentucky. I love the fan base. I love the community. I love the people there. So it's like, why not stay until they make you leave?"
what was that?

You are really arguing WCS? Even if you are right, it doesn't change the fact that guys don't last more than 2 years under Cal. They transfer or go pro. The ones who do are the extreme outliers.

Why is that so hard for you to admit?

You are really arguing WCS? Even if you are right, it doesn't change the fact that guys don't last more than 2 years under Cal. They transfer or go pro. The ones who do are the extreme outliers.

Oh god you’re back

Doesn't sound like he's willing to be developed over time, however.

His AAU coach already stated UK would have been out of the race had we gotten Haarms, due to lack of PT next year.

Problem is, this kid does not appear to be a difference maker in year 1, according to virtually all who have seen him play extensively.

I'm all for bringing him on board if he's a 3/4 year guy, but if he thinks he's KAT and when it turns out he's not, and he's just going to bolt/transfer after 1 year, I'd pass.

One of our major issues since 2015 is that the number of sure-fire studs coming in for year 1 have dropped, while the next tier recruit we have signed has still bolted early.

Continuity or studs. Need one or the other. A lack of both leads to more years without Final Fours/titles.

great post

Ok. 2010-11 the regular season sucked. Tournament run fun. 2013-14 regular season sucked. Tournament run fun. That better?

No, because you’re missing the point. The 2011 recruiting class was composed of Anthony Davis, MKG, Teague and Wiltjer.

The 2014 class was composed of Towns, Lyles, Booker, and Ulis.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This reeks of desperation. #85 composite ranking.

I just hope Cal sees something that every scout in the business failed to see.
He could like what he sees as far as a developmental standpoint and still look to add another big. Especially if it’s true as they say Anselem isn’t looking for any promises just a shot.

The current state of our roster needing two more bigs. One can afford to be a developing big. This guy looks like he fills that void. Three bigs should be on our roster every year. Two that can be on the floor together and one developing. After a year or two this guy may improve enough to be a primary big. Still need that experienced big for this season so Clarke and Boston is not wasted. Close to having a great chance for the championship. Just a couple of bigs away. One experienced and one developing would be perfect to go along with Jackson.

Why does everyone have to either be a sunshine pumper or a Debbie downer?

I am generally pleased with Cal as a coach, but I don’t think he is without fault.

This COULD be a good move, but right now it looks like a desperate move.

But as I said before, I trust Cal.
I agree. If he’s hoping to get this kid in order to bring him along over a few years it’s an awesome move. If he’s doing it because he feels he just has to have another body for next season then it would seem a little desperate. We don’t know yet what else he may have up his sleeve. I sure wish we had gotten Haarms though.

I agree. If he’s hoping to get this kid in order to bring him along over a few years it’s an awesome move. If he’s doing it because he feels he just has to have another body for next season then it would seem a little desperate. We don’t know yet what else he may have up his sleeve. I sure wish we had gotten Haarms though.
Why is it desperate to get someone to come in off the bench??

He could like what he sees as far as a developmental standpoint and still look to add another big. Especially if it’s true as they say Anselem isn’t looking for any promises just a shot.

If that is the case.

But, as some have mentioned, it sounds like the kid plans to play and get to the pros ASAP. Doesn’t sound like he wants to sit the bench and develop.

If we sign him, I hope he is as good as he thinks he is, because his people are saying he is a pro. If this guy doesn’t play much, he may bolt after a year or two.

I really honestly don’t know about this kid. I have to trust Cal, but if this guy is the best we can do to play the post this season, it seems pretty desperate to me.

Like I said, I trust Cal and hope he sees something others failed to see.

Not being negative, just skeptical.

This is from ralphdaltonfan (a trusted poster who knows recruting) on Anselem:

That's exactly what his "mentor" said. If Haarms would've signed on with UK, Frank would've had to look at other options. Wasn't this the same clown who was saying to Sisk when he had been rejected by LSU/UGA/Bama 2 weeks ago that "He's just wanting to go somewhere to compete and happy with his role".

I fully understand and agree with fans saying they want depth/developmental players. Where we disagree is regarding this particular prospect. This guys signs on, and UK upgrades their roster with a post better, he'll ask out.

Delusion is real. Material is there to develop but when your camp is hyping you as better then Isaiah Jackson as a defensive player and several analysts have mentioned Jackson is one of/if not the best defensive prospect they've scouted (Bossi, Evans, and Brian Snow have mentioned elite defensive ability of Jackson) what does that say to speak to reality?

The words spoken to Fisher by the same guy who said things to Sisk which don't match at all within a 1 week span.....very interesting to say the least. I want nothing to do with circus personally but if he joins up, hope he sticks around to compete/develop and UK gets a far superior talent to come in ensuing weeks.
I think he bolts after a season if he comes here and I'm not referring to the NBA. He will likely be recruited over and transfer. Some of those closest to him seem to overestimate his ability.

1. Adding a big body as insurance, a sturdy practice player, and just maybe someone with a lot of upside for next year and beyond? Check.

2. Adding someone who won't scare off a super-stud if one becomes available if/when the one-time transfer rule passes, or if Maker or the kid from Wake Forest or someone else becomes available? Check.

This would be a typically brilliant move by Calipari. I hope it happens.

Hope he comes. But “typically brilliant” is quite a stretch.

I'm saying if he knew after his first year that his second year was going to be unproductive as well, that he probably would've transferred. None of these guys plan on staying past two years but he had nowhere else to go.

Don’t really want to take sides here but Nick Richards was never a OAD possibility. He was recruited to be behind Bamba and two years was his minimum and he knew it.

Now if this kid would not have considered UK if Haarms had committed then for sure that says he thinks he POSSIBLY could be OAD and wants that opportunity. If that be the case then I don’t see him committing until late and no other options are out there for him to be recruited over this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seccats04
Ok. 2010-11 the regular season sucked. Tournament run fun. 2013-14 regular season sucked. Tournament run fun. That better?
So which would you rather have, a typical Kansas type season with few losses and an early flameout in the dance, or some early struggles followed by reaching our potential? Oh, let me guess, I know the answer, you’re not going to be happy unless we go 40-0 every season.

So which would you rather have, a typical Kansas type season with few losses and an early flameout in the dance, or some early struggles followed by reaching our potential? Oh, let me guess, I know the answer, you’re not going to be happy unless we go 40-0 every season.
Bill Self has been cheating his arse off, we all know that. But to say KU chokes every year is just not accurate. He's been to the E8 or better in 8 of 16 seasons (if you exclude this season) although he's been knocked out in the first or second round 6 times. So his teams are usually boom or bust in the post season. We seem to accept E8's as successful seasons here now. Self has been more successful in the regular season whereas Cal has been better in the post season. But I will say the regular season means as much to me as the post season if we want to keep the all time wins lead. I don't think we'll ever catch UCLA in titles because I don't think Cal wins another with his current model unless he tweaks his roster management.

I am happy with a F4 season every other year if we want to keep calling ourselves the gold standard as Cal likes to say. But we haven't been to one in 5 years now so it's past time.

#1 Class is never a bad thing but it doesn't mean you've addressed all the roster needs. I think that's what gets lost in translation.
This. And not all top classes are the same. See Nerlens Noel's class. He was the only difference maker in that class and we needed several since we had to replace the whole roster. Now, nobody knows for sure until they hit the court, but it looks like we only have two difference makers next year in Clarke and Boston and they both play the same position. That's not going to cut it when you have to replace your whole roster. Now if we can somehow pull a difference maker at the 5 spot, we may be ok but there's not many options left.

#1 Class is never a bad thing but it doesn't mean you've addressed all the roster needs. I think that's what gets lost in translation.
We have the #1 class because we had to have the #1 class to even put a full team on the court. LOL.

Nobody else aside from Wichita State, lost their entire starting 5.

We have the #1 class, but we're missing the second most important ingredient to any Calipari coached team, which is a big man with post up ability.

It's only April and there is nobody that understands the importance of getting a legit 5 more than Calipari, so I bet he finds a way to get 1 or 2 bigs, it just can't be this guy as our best 5 man. He's not polished enough to do the things Calipari asks a 5 to do and it doesn't look like they're going to have summer workouts to work with him.

I get it, You can't always be a title contender, but this is UK and we have 2 top 10 studs coming in next year, so there is no reason to not be a title contender. As it sits right now, we are sweet 16-ish, but one big guy can change that.

Lastly, this kid seems to already have the wrong attitude. It sounds like he’s confident in his abilities and thinks he's a one and done, well, what if he's not? Is he going to blame Cal and transfer out or leave for the GL after 1 or 2 seasons? That's getting really old.

But isn't the idea to get some guys that will stick around 2-3 years? Wouldn't he fit that spot?
But nobody wants to stay here 3 years. Richards did, but these days, these kids want microwave success. If they don't get big minutes right away, they leave and blame Cal for their lack of development, you know, because Cal was supposed to turn these kids into Jordan in a few months. Juzang is a prime example. There was no reason to transfer, but he, as well as many others, don't come here to play for UK, they come here to leave as fast as they can.

But nobody wants to stay here 3 years. Richards did, but these days, these kids want microwave success. If they don't get big minutes right away, they leave and blame Cal for their lack of development, you know, because Cal was supposed to turn these kids into Jordan in a few months. Juzang is a prime example. There was no reason to transfer, but he, as well as many others, don't come here to play for UK, they come here to leave as fast as they can.
This really has been the case. EJ Montgomery is the living embodiment of this.

If that is the case.

But, as some have mentioned, it sounds like the kid plans to play and get to the pros ASAP. Doesn’t sound like he wants to sit the bench and develop.

If we sign him, I hope he is as good as he thinks he is, because his people are saying he is a pro. If this guy doesn’t play much, he may bolt after a year or two.

I really honestly don’t know about this kid. I have to trust Cal, but if this guy is the best we can do to play the post this season, it seems pretty desperate to me.

Like I said, I trust Cal and hope he sees something others failed to see.

Not being negative, just skeptical.
Completely understand and agree with you I’m sure my optimism is winning out on this one. But we have the schollies so hopefully Cal can find another big.

We need a Frank. When is the last time we've had someone named Frank? That's right, it's been a long ass time. The time is now. If not now, when?

Reactions: UKBigBoardUpdate

Why is it so hard for you to admit that Cal is a winner. UK rated the best college basketball program the past ten years. I guess you enjoyed the 11 years before Cal got to UK.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We have the #1 class because we had to have the #1 class to even put a full team on the court. LOL.

Nobody else aside from Wichita State, lost their entire starting 5.

We have the #1 class, but we're missing the second most important ingredient to any Calipari coached team, which is a big man with post up ability.

It's only April and there is nobody that understands the importance of getting a legit 5 more than Calipari, so I bet he finds a way to get 1 or 2 bigs, it just can't be this guy as our best 5 man. He's not polished enough to do the things Calipari asks a 5 to do and it doesn't look like they're going to have summer workouts to work with him.

I get it, You can't always be a title contender, but this is UK and we have 2 top 10 studs coming in next year, so there is no reason to not be a title contender. As it sits right now, we are sweet 16-ish, but one big guy can change that.

Lastly, this kid seems to already have the wrong attitude. It sounds like he’s confident in his abilities and thinks he's a one and done, well, what if he's not? Is he going to blame Cal and transfer out or leave for the GL after 1 or 2 seasons? That's getting really old.
What is getting old is your bitching. Why is it so hard for you to admit that Cal is a winner. UK rated the best college basketball program the past ten years. I guess you enjoyed the 11 years before Cal got to UK.

What is getting old is your bitching. Why is it so hard for you to admit that Cal is a winner. UK rated the best college basketball program the past ten years. I guess you enjoyed the 11 years before Cal got to UK.

Hey look..."I'm a better fan than you" guy is back....EVERY freaking message you post is how others are awful and you are the best UK fan there is.

You are at the top of the mountain of fandom, why not just call it a career and stop posting here if you hate everyone so much????

Reactions: kyjeff1
People act like we don’t have the top class coming in.

That's probably because we don't. We've seen past rankings and how inaccurate they have been. Sure we have more than a few, potentially, great forwards and guards but no one in the 5 position and that's not a top class.

Last edited:
Read my post again and do better. Get over yourself. If you read my post all the way through, you would clearly see that I did nothing but compliment Cal.

Maybe you should quit message boarding, you don't appear to understand what you're reading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT