ADVERTISEMENT

UK offers Caleb Wilson over a million bucks

This multi-million dollar NIL BS will crash and burn with in the next few years unless the funding model is changed! The top 2-3 donors each major program has will cut funding when this becomes a “rinse and repeat” cycle! These ultra rich donors are ultra rich because they don’t waste millions per year on a unproven (at the college level) commodity that yields them ZERO return on investment.

There isn't any ROI for fans and never has been. It's mindless entertainment and an obsessive hobby. Nothing more.

Even if your team wins the title the net impact to your life is minimal and fleeting, if any.

With the market I guess that’s the price now, but I have watched multiple games of Wilson, he isn’t a throw a mil at type of player. Good player, who can help you win, but if his asking price is a mil, then the plot has been lost with NIL. Jasper Johnson is good to, but in no world is he worth what Kentucky paid for him.
Of course he is, he’s a legitimate top 10 player. That is their value and this is a good class.

Reactions: true blue1
There was a narrative that Pope might not be able to recruit elite talent. Is UK overpaying for recruits for optics? Probably not but unless they’re Anthony Davis, Julius Randle, John Wall type game changers I’d rather get solid multi-year prospects. At least we shouldn’t be completely dependent on those freshmen.
I think the best formula is get one maybe 2 good freshman ready to produce year one, and get 1-2 multiple year freshman, and have the rest be portal guys and stack the roster up that way

Of course he is, he’s a legitimate top 10 player. That is their value and this is a good class.
Maybe, when I watch Wilson’s game I just don’t see the value or the asking price. But I for sure want him here, and if pope gets it done, it would have been a good recruiting job

That's a lot of money for an unknown at the college level.

I know my poor a** is just yelling from the clouds as it isn't my money. However I can't imagine that donors and uber rich people would continue to pay for players for years to come.

Eventually you will have situations where a player is paid millions and the player pulls a Sharpe and refuses to play. Does he have to pay that money back? Or donors are sick of paying money to a team that doesn't gel and misses the tournament.

Just a lot of scenarios in my opinion where they money dries up. They need to be made employees and get $100K a year from the University with a stipulation that any money received elsewhere they'd be fired.

If any kid gets a Million dollars to play for any school they should sign a contract for 4 years and the money be put in a trust fund and if they leave before the 4 years are up they only get part of the money. I know that will never happen but changes have to be made .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT