ADVERTISEMENT

UK has to start making 3's

Cawood86

All-American
Feb 20, 2005
It's gonna bite them if they don't. Every other area is looking pretty good but that one. It keeps them from getting a bigger separation. It is my biggest concern going forward,

That said, it wasn't pretty by any stretch, but not hard to understand UK would likely have a letdown tonight. UK got the W in a game they looked terrible in for most of it.

might be true for other games but they didn't need to hit many 3's to win tonight.

lapses in defense , lethargic play and general sloppiness is the reason this game was closer than it should be.

had they played crisp, intelligent ball, and didn't get beat on defense, the game would have been 20+

might be true for other games but they didn't need to hit many 3's to win tonight.

lapses in defense , lethargic play and general sloppiness is the reason this game was closer than it should be.

had they played crisp, intelligent ball, and didn't get beat on defense, the game would have been 20+
True. Defense was not very good tonight. I guess what I'm saying is that teams are likely to start doubling Nick, especially in the tourney. UK will have to make 3's to pull teams out on them to open up the post.
I don't trust them right to make 3's. IQ got hot for a while but has cooled way off. Maxey seems hesitant to shoot the three. Sestina is maybe the only one I have some confidence in regarding the three.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I agree. It is REALLY frustrating seeing opponents come into Rupp and shoot better from 3 than we do.

But something that is JUST AS important is Ashton Hagans' turnovers. He has to reduce his unforced errors. He makes some head scratching mistakes that seem to KILL our momentum OR results in our opponents getting back in a game. We had 11 as a team and he had 5 of them.

The only way we can overcome losing Nick for a long stretch of the game because of fouls is to make more 3's AND reduce our STUPID turnovers, Hagans being the MAIN one.

Reactions: Deli owl
I agree. It is REALLY frustrating seeing opponents come into Rupp and shoot better from 3 than we do.

But something that is JUST AS important is Ashton Hagans turnovers. He has to reduce his unforced errors. He makes some head scratching mistakes that seem to KILL our momentum OR results in our opponents back in a game. We had 11 as a team and he had 5 of them.

The only way we can overcome losing Nick for a long stretch of the game because of fouls is to make more 3's AND reduce our STUPID turnovers, Hagans being the MAIN one.
True, that's a very good point. He has done that the last few games. Maxey too. Both handle the ball too much and dictate the flow on offense too much to have as many turnovers as they are having lately. They are momentum killers.

Reactions: catben
UK is hitting 37 percent of its 3s in SEC play. Dontaie Allen can improve that. I see defense as our biggest issue but expect Cal to get it cranking by March.

True. Defense was not very good tonight. I guess what I'm saying is that teams are likely to start doubling Nick, especially in the tourney. UK will have to make 3's to pull teams out on them to open up the post.
I don't trust them right to make 3's. IQ got hot for a while but has cooled way off. Maxey seems hesitant to shoot the three. Sestina is maybe the only one I have some confidence in regarding the three.
I hear what you are saying, you aren't wrong (well maybe about Maxey - I don't think he is hesitant to shoot anything...but thats another discussion)

Reactions: Cawood86
UK is hitting 37 percent of its 3s in SEC play. Dontaie Allen can improve that. I see defense as our biggest issue but expect Cal to get it cranking by March.
Do you feel Allen will play soon? I'm hoping he does but I really don't expect him to contribute much right now. Just so much of the season gone. Would be hard to step in right now and get a lot of minutes.

I hear what you are saying, you aren't wrong (well maybe about Maxey - I don't think he is hesitant to shoot anything...but thats another discussion)
Yeah, some his shot selection makes me want to throw things. But it seems he hesitates on the three some, at least to me.

Yeah, some his shot selection makes me want to throw things. But it seems he hesitates on the three some, at least to me.

I was pretty frustrated with alot of aspects of his game tonight. Ironically he was selected as player of the game.

I was pretty frustrated with alot of aspects of his game tonight. Ironically he was selected as player of the game.
Yeah, me too. Takes some really bad shots and tries some very bad passes, but then will make some very good plays. He's s been Jekyll and Hyde quite a few times this year so far.

It was by default ? LOL . Maxey was AWFUL for 80% of that game , yeah he had a scoring spurt and yes it was crucial, but we were down most of the game bc of his and Ashtons TO's .

Our problem on defense as I see it, is the inability to stop drives to the basket, the switching we do creates mis-matches, Nick gets pulled away from the basket, and then it is a layup drill. Nick should never get passed the free throw line. Till Cal figures this out, we will struggle shutting anybody down.

We are 20 games into the season. At this point we are what we are and there isn't any "tweek" that will make us a better 3 point shooting team. Quickly is the only decent outside threat so our best bet is to get him open shots when we can and let the other guys do what they do best. Get to the rim and finish, get fouled and make free throws.

We are 20 games into the season. At this point we are what we are and there isn't any "tweek" that will make us a better 3 point shooting team. Quickly is the only decent outside threat so our best bet is to get him open shots when we can and let the other guys do what they do best. Get to the rim and finish, get fouled and make free throws.
Sestina is good from top of the key, but not as much from the sides. JJ seems to rush his shots.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Sestina is pretty good from. Would he take more and Maxey less at this point.

Yeah, me too. Takes some really bad shots and tries some very bad passes, but then will make some very good plays. He's s been Jekyll and Hyde quite a few times this year so far.
I said during the game that Maxey is this years Diallo

Cal is going to make an investment in him - longer rope than a Juzang for example even at the expense of the game in order to develop the kid. I assume its because he believes it will pay off in March.

I think Cal was more invested in Diallo's NBA aspirations than our March run, but I'm sure there will be someone to refute my opinion.

3-point shooting has been adequate. Our biggest flaw right now is defense, and I think we will clean that up before the big dance, as we typically do.

I don't believe defense was our problem last night, NR went out early, which hurt interior defense and Hagans had a foul and did not want a second foul and sit. I think fouls affected our defense in the first half and I believe that Cal figured that if we can get through the first half with limited fouls, we would be able to play our game in the second. I haven't looked but I bet our defense was better in the second with our main 5 on the court.

We honestly always shoot like crap in Rupp. I bet if you took % home vs away it would be 10-15% difference.

Reactions: Ocornett

But something that is JUST AS important is Ashton Hagans' turnovers. He has to reduce his unforced errors. He makes some head scratching mistakes that seem to KILL our momentum OR results in our opponents getting back in a game. We had 11 as a team and he had 5 of them.

Driving down to the baseline and then throwing some mis-guided pass that gets intercepted has to stop. If he can't get to the rim then don't go there. Overall a nice win, not a great one, but nice. Saturday it gets tougher.
Was what the announcer said correct that one Vandy player hit his 1st 3's of the year? Maybe I mis-heard that..I know he hit 3 of them.

Yeah 37% is plenty good for this team to win a title. Allen would improve it but he won't play this season which is fine as he would be the 10th man and 10th men are rarely needed. Our D is really good just look at the % we are holding teams to in SEC play . In fact I would take our D over most teams BUT with that said we do struggle guarding small quick guards who can drive and especially when they drive and kick for open 3's . We need to get better at that but our D is good beyond that.

As Coach Rupp said, when your shots are consistently short, you're flat. That's what we were last night, especially IQ. Even his floaters were short as were most of Nick's hooks.

Cal is going to make an investment in him - longer rope than a Juzang for example even at the expense of the game in order to develop the kid. I assume its because he believes it will pay off in March.

I think Cal was more invested in Diallo's NBA aspirations than our March run, but I'm sure there will be someone to refute my opinion.

And where is your proof of this that we can try to refute?

I dont believe Cal ever puts a kid ahead of the team. I just think he's too competitive and also knows the rest of the team would know he's doing it and his message would not reach these kids.

I dont believe Cal ever puts a kid ahead of the team. I just think he's too competitive and also knows the rest of the team would know he's doing it and his message would not reach these kids.
I refer to the infamous "that's somebodies son" speech

It's gonna bite them if they don't. Every other area is looking pretty good but that one. It keeps them from getting a bigger separation. It is my biggest concern going forward,

That said, it wasn't pretty by any stretch, but not hard to understand UK would likely have a letdown tonight. UK got the W in a game they looked terrible in for most of it.
Thank You for bringing this to my attention. You must be some kind of brain child. I've watched them play all year and would have never guessed that is a problem. I'm going to think on this and evaluate the situation. Once I come up with a plan I'll get back with you. WTF 3 point shooting is a problem for this team

Getting beat off the dribble on drives and baskets hurt them in the first half but Richards being on the bench was a large part of the reason.

We honestly always shoot like crap in Rupp. I bet if you took % home vs away it would be 10-15% difference.
That's because the apposing team gets to practice more in Rupp that our team. Never understood why UK don't just build a gym on campus, so we can practice where we play games. That puts us at a disadvantage and its like playing on a neutral court every game. I know big money, but it hurts us.

Thought Maxey's 3's looked better last night, release, form, and each one had a chance unlike some games where you hope the ricochet off the backboard goes to the Cats instead of opponent.

Agree with takes in the thread on Juzang rushing his jumper, Sestina's best spots, and fact they are what they are, but the thing I'd say they can improve-the deep 2. Quickley is too good of a shooter and relied upon to keep stepping on the line. I've never seen a player take more shots I think are 3's and then announcers deflates with "it's a 2--foot on the line". Hagans takes those long 2's as well. Just be more aware of where you are on court and you've got an extra pt-and those add up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT