ADVERTISEMENT

Uk Football vs Uk basketball

thecatsrock

Sophomore
Oct 12, 2007
I would like to hear some opinions about the BB vs FB argument. Let me first say that I am just a sports fan in general. I like to watch many sports including some pro. I am from lex and have been watching the cats since my dad took me to old stoll field back in the late 1960’s. Who is more wrapped up in the FB teams success than the BB team success? I for one just enjoy watching good football much more than good basketball. Am I in the minority or is Ky a football crazy state just like the rest of the SEC?

I prefer football and baseball as sports in general. If it weren't for UK basketball I wouldn't care about the sport at all. Im in my 30s.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
I really like both. If I had to choose a national title in one vs the other, then I'd choose football. In hoops, one guy can really carry a team. You don't see that much in FB (sans Cam Newton). Ultimate team game. Plus, it's only on 12 times per year (sometimes we get to 13) and I'd love to see us 16 times per year (counting blue/white game). BB is on 2x per week. With FB, the hype builds up all week. (working for the weekend!)

UK hoops.... 70% of RosTer is 4 or 5* players. Higher win pct. than football, which is made up of approx. 15% four * members.
SEC is a pigskin league, Bball is improving, pales in comparison To fooTball !

Personally, I find watching bball to be quite boring. The regular season means no more to me than MLB exhibition season. When I was a kid, I was a die hard bball fan, but turned to Football during the Curci years. For whatever reason, I don't care at all about bball unless they have a legit shot at the nc and count anything less a disappointment and waste of time. Can't explain it, just the way I feel.

On the other hand, I love Football and would trade every bball nc just to be bowl eligible each year and be able to compete for the SEC championship once every twenty years or so.

I have always preferred Football over Basketball by a long shot. I would be more than happy if they would fire Cal and hire Saban lol. Football is just in my blood.

edit : before some idiot thinks this means I want Cal fired, it doesn't. I am just saying if we had to have one or the other, I would be more than OK with having Saban coaching the Football team.

Reactions: ram1955
If its football season then its number one,if its basketball season then basketball is number one.I'm a Kentucky fan all the way not one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: MbergCat
Love both UK football and basketball. If for whatever reason UK didn't field a football team, I wouldn't watch any less football. If UK didn't field a basketball team, my college basketball viewing wouldn't extend much beyond watching championship week and the NCAAT while casually following the sport.

Football.... And even more so in the last 5-10 years. Bball has turned in to a joke. Still love March Madness though, something about the urgency of win or go home.

Last edited:
Basketball is my first love. Growing up on a farm, Saturdays in the fall were work days.

Had no idea that college football was a big deal. I was in college before I ever watched a college football game, and at that time, well we just didn’t win very often—so not a great time to become a fan. Didn’t pay much attention to it until Curry’s last year. That was hard to watch.

Interest picked up with Mumme. It was fun to watch, but didn’t have high expectations. I liked Morris, but that was a short stent. Had bigger expectations with Brooks, but early on, it was pretty rough. I was afraid he was going to get fired before he got things turned around. However, he didn’t, and things got better than I had ever seen them. Then he retired, and the Joker era began. I wanted so badly for Joker to pick up we’re Brooks left off, but in a few seasons it went from as good as I had ever seen it to as bad as I had ever seen it.
Then came Stoops, I know a lot of fans are down on him right now because of the last few weeks, but I’ve seen weeks like this from each of the coaches I’ve seen. But the only 10 win season I’ve seen is from Stoops. I think He’ll get us there again. I’m frustrated, but all in.

Basketball to me is different. I grew up thinking Joe B Hall has a more important job than Jimmy Carter and then Ronald Reagan. There was nothing bigger than UK basketball. Family events were planned around it. If a game wasn’t televised, Cawood’s voice gave picture to it. If there was anger between family members and you wanted to break the ice, just bring up UK basketball, and by the time the conversation was over, everything was good. It was a common denominator that brought people together.

It’s different now. You barely get to know the players before they get drafted. I don’t blame Cal. The NBA makes the rules about when players can get drafted, and each coach has to recruit the way they feel that gives them the best chance to win, and Cal has been pretty successful. I will always love UK basketball. I just don’t put the same level of importance in it as I once did.
Maybe I’m dividing it up more now.

I LOVE UK IN EVERY SPORT!!! I LOVE THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY!! IT'S MY SCHOOL!!

Let's go UK debate and academic teams!!!![banana]:cool2:

UK just swept Mizzou three to zip in volleyball, watched all of it, very close games. I follow all UK sports, but football has been my sport (and my brothers) since I was about five.

The UK cheerleading teams have been unbelievable for decades.

Reactions: 1977 Cat and catben
Football. I watch basketball, later and later each season, now.

I love the roundball Cats, but d/n watch any other basketball.

While in Columbia, Saturday, we found a comfy place to watch college game day until the Cat Walk.

Football. I watch basketball, later and later each season, now.

I love the roundball Cats, but d/n watch any other basketball.

While in Columbia, Saturday, we found a comfy place to watch college game day until the Cat Walk.

I watch all their games, but it doesn't really get critical until tournament time.

There's absolutely nothing in sports that's as great as March Madness imo.

However, as for a regular season Saturday, I would take CFB over CBB every time.

Follow FB team 12 months/yr. Know starting lineups & most backups. Know most of the recruiting class & players considering UK. Watch replays after attending games. Couldn't name a BB team player today & will start paying some attention in Dec. & be done till Dec. 2020 by early April. I hope they do well.

Reactions: The-Hack
There's absolutely nothing in sports that's as great as March Madness imo.

However, as for a regular season Saturday, I would take CFB over CBB every time.
IMO, I'd rank the bowl season as being equal to mm. Nothing better than 3+ weeks of CFB with teams that are usually motivated to play. For those people that call minor bowls meaningless, there have been years I'd have given my left nut to have been in one of those games.

Reactions: The-Hack and JDHoss
Personally, I find watching bball to be quite boring. The regular season means no more to me than MLB exhibition season. When I was a kid, I was a die hard bball fan, but turned to Football during the Curci years. For whatever reason, I don't care at all about bball unless they have a legit shot at the nc and count anything less a disappointment and waste of time. Can't explain it, just the way I feel.

On the other hand, I love Football and would trade every bball nc just to be bowl eligible each year and be able to compete for the SEC championship once every twenty years or so.

Regular season in football doesn't really matter outside of the top teams. I know before the season we have no shot at sec or national title because if bama and georgia. It matters a lot more to top tier teams. And then the bowl game exhibitions.

I agree about basketball regular season but let's not pretend our specific season is due or die game by game like a bama or Clemson.

Reactions: jauk11
Great responses. I really believe that we can love UK and pull for them in every sport. But good football is so much more enjoyable to watch than good basketball jmo. Sounds like I am not as much in the minority as I thought.

Re: UK specifically and colleges around the county generally--I like FB with all other sports a distant, distant, distant, second. This is probably a result of me living in 11 different states, most of which had football-first teams nearby. I currently am stationed in Columbus, OH (home of TOSU), and at times I've lived in close proximity to UF/FSU, Clemson/USC Jr, Va Tech/UVA/MD, Penn St/Pitt, UT Vols, USC/UCLA, UGA/GT, and Hawaii (Go 'Bows!). As such...I am a CFB first fan.

-CBB UK: I used to like UK BB more than I do now, but I tire of (1) having to learn a new roster every year and (2) having to suffer through 3 months of the new roster shaking off the AAU all star team look to actually start playing good team ball, defense, some complexities in O, etc. Absent a Dec game with UNC, Duke, or UL....I don't pay attention to UK BB until late Feb.
-Rest of CBB: I don't watch ANY non-UK CBB teams before conference tourney time--none. If UK is out of the NCAA's....for me the season is over and I stop watching the NCAA tourney. I have no interest in watching 'Nova Vs UNC or UVA vs Clapsaddle Tech in the elite 8 if UK is finished.

-CFB UK: Everything about FB is better--the regular season matters, there is a do or die situation every week, bowl season is fantastic, tailgating, atmosphere, fire pits, bands, crowds--everything. UK is not world class, but they were more-than-competitive last year, and it was thrilling to get 10 wins and a new years eve bowl victory over Penn St.
-Rest of CFB: I watch 3-4 games every Saturday. I certainly watch the "games of the week" such as UGA/Notre Dame...Texas/LSU, but I can watch nearly any two CFB D-I teams play and enjoy the game (ex ASU vs Cal was a great game last week, compelling story, Cal's first defeat, Herm Edwards as Cal alum and AZ st coach, etc). I watch a majority of the bowl games during bowl season in Dec and Jan. I think the New Years 6 bowl games and the CFB 4-team playoff are faaaaaaarrrrrr superior to March Madness, EE, FF, etc, and I try to watch all of the games from 1 JAN through the NC game.

Bottom line: For me, FB is just a much more compelling product at every level and during every week of the season. CBB really doesn't matter until late Feb--if then.

GBB!

Regular season in football doesn't really matter outside of the top teams. I know before the season we have no shot at sec or national title because if bama and georgia. It matters a lot more to top tier teams. And then the bowl game exhibitions.

I agree about basketball regular season but let's not pretend our specific season is due or die game by game like a bama or Clemson.
For me, being in the championship game is not necessarily the goal in Football. Going to a bowl game every year and a good one occasionally works for me. Thus, every game does count relative to if you go bowling and what bowl you go to.
I agree with you re: the championship level.

I like football but I love basketball. Probably has to do with mainly 3 reasons. One is we are usually always very good to great in basketball and are a threat to win the title most years. Winning sure is a lot more fun than losing. Football we tend to be average at best in most years and are never close to being a title contender. I still watch every single game on TV. Last game I recall missing was probably 25 years ago when I was in the Air Force and every game wasn't easy to find on TV.

The second is that I get to watch up to 40 games in basketball compared to 13 in football. You rarely go longer than a week between games in basketball while you have to go 2 weeks between games in football on occasion. Coming off of a loss and then having to stew on that loss for 2 weeks sucks. It's understandable with needing time to rest and get over injuries but it still sucks for the fans.

The last reason is March Madness blows away the lame 4 team playoff. You will never have a surprise champion in football and the teams that recruit the best always are at the top. That gets real old watching teams like Alabama and Clemson in the championship every year. If my team can't win the championship than I'd rather see an unexpected team do so.

About the only thing better about football than basketball is tailgating. I've never had season tickets and have never even went to tailgating before a game so that one positive doesn't apply to me. Plus with a bad back it is hard enough going to a 4 hour game and sitting on bleachers. I just can't spend hours before the game tailgating and then trying to enjoy that long game.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Yes, I agree. I love watching the cheerleaders at any game of any sport.

Yes, me too, but I really was talking about the national championship competition when the full teams do a lot of amazing AND athletic routines, really amazing that UK usually WINS that national competition. I think they won about ten in a row at one time.

I look at football the same way a Florida fan would. Despite winning hoops championships, If we suck again in football..that pretty much ruins the sports year for me.

Reactions: vhcat70 and ram1955
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT