ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***** UK FOOTBALL OPEN PRACTICE #2 NOTEBOOK - 8/17 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
We have a special treat coming your way on Tuesday morning. Mark Stoops is opening practice up to the media again so we can get another look at the Cats as they make their way through fall camp. I'll be over at the JCFTC to cover it and posting news and notes here in this thread when it wraps up at approx 11:30 ET. The only conditions to this open practice are no "LIVE" updates and no injury reports until addressed by the staff. If it doesn't rain, I'm going to be focusing on shooting a bunch of pictures, too, so keep your fingers crossed, and hopefully we'll have a gallery to go along with the notes and presser with Liam Coen & Co.

MY PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS:

* Everybody always likes to start off with QBs, so we'll start off with QBs. It's crystal clear, based on what I saw on Fan Day and today, that Will Levis was the correct call for the starting job. I still like Beau Allen, and I think the Cats can win with him if they have to, but the arm strength just jumps off the page with Levis. He made some big-time, NFL-looking throws today at all levels. Quick-outs on a laser for first downs. Intermediate stuff zipped in. A deep ball dropped right in the basket to Cummings on one of the best plays to a TE I've seen at UK in years. And, in the 2-minute drill, a 20+ yard completion to Ali across the middle that would have set up a game-winning FG attempt. The coaches said we need a FG to win, and Levis took them right down the field.

* Beau Allen hit some nice plays during the day, too, including a beauty of a deep ball to WR Crumes in the 1v1 work against CBs and again on a deep ball to Ali in 1v1. He ended the day, however, with a ball that was picked off in the 2-minute drill by Taj Dodson. Really nice play made on it by Dodson. While the arm strength isn't going to match up with that of Levis, Allen is still able to make all the throws down the field that you would like. He's particularly accurate on the short and intermediate stuff to the sidelines. If I had to guess, his pass comp % was higher than that of Levis today, but Levis made the "WOW" plays.

* Ali showed up a lot today among the WRs. Also thought both Rahsaan Lewis (switched number to 19) and Christian Lewis had some good moments. CL caught a ton of balls during 11s. Magwood was also very active with several catches.

* Drennen worked mostly with RBs today as Smoke and McClain were both inactive. He got some carries during 11s. I think they're moving him all over, just trying to take advantage of his versatility.

* Carrington Valentine was smothering guys once again at CB. Has the look of a really, really good player, as the coaches have been hinting. Love his instincts. Always in the right position, even if the WR makes a play on him.

* Vito Tisdale picked off Allen in 7v7.

* I thought Josaih Hayes flashed at the point of attack. Really stout. There weren't a great deal of running plays during 11v11 (by design... they really want to have this passing offense ready from Game 1) but the ones they did run, I noticed that Hayes was not getting moved, and those plays did not go for much.

* DB Joel Williams had a bit of a rough day. I’ve been eager to see how he’s progressing, but wasn’t the best timing today. Stoops had to really get on him hard at one point after he was burned by Wan'Dale Robinson and responded by grabbing him from behind (maybe even close to horse-collar?) to stop the play. The staff is really big on staying upright and keeping people off the ground in practice as much as possible.

* Jacquez Jones was inactive today, so it gave Trevin Wallace and Martez Thrower a chance to get a lot of good reps. Wallace looks like he can help them RIGHT NOW. I really think it's going to be hard to keep that kid off the field.

* JJ Weaver was active with some grad assistants and trainers doing individual work to the side, but when they went to 7v7 stuff, he actually got on the field and participated. I think that's a really good sign that he's ahead of schedule. Man, that kid looks the part. He looks a lot more physical in his core and upper body, even though he's been rehabbing that knee.

* FGs were a bit of a mess today. They missed a bunch in their early special teams period. Wide right, wide left. All over the place.

* Wan'Dale Robinson continues to get a lot of ST return reps. They seem to be preparing to use him as that all-purpose weapon.

* C-Rod looks leaner to me. He's in tremendous shape right now.

* First-team O-Line for 11s: Rosenthal, Horsey, Fortner, COX, Kinnard. Cox getting talked-up BIG TIME today by the coaches. Keep an eye on him and this surge.

* Second-team O-Line for 11s: Watkins, Dotson, Wilson, BURTON, Flax

* Third-team O-Line for 11s: Buford, Young, Adams, Rodriguez, Jones

* Coaches revealed later on that Wohlabaugh is dinged up, so consider that in those 2nd/3rd team lines.

LIAM COEN Q&A:

* Coen says Levis’s work ethic and leadership and arm strength all showed up early in camp to make that decision easier.

* Ball placement down the field and especially on the deep ball have been big pluses for Levis.

* OLine is putting guys in position to be most successful, Coen says. Kin are more comfortable at RT. Coen says they want to run it that way a lot. RT is becoming more and more important at the next level. Don’t have to be a LT to get paid.

* Magwood looking good, Coen said, a kid who can play any of the WR spots you need him to fill.

* Rahsaan Lewis continues to make plays at WR. Christian Lewis showing some good things, too

* Scrimmage film showed more efficiency than they had in spring game; more “explosives,” too.

* Beau Allen has taken his deal to another level, Coen said, because he realizes he is one play away. He’s been better since the decision was announced than before.

* Saturday was Coen’s first time seeing C-Rod live. HUGE SMILE. He seemed almost taken aback by how hard he runs. They know what they've got with him at RB, so he's not getting a ton of reps right now. The young guys are getting a bunch with Smoke and McClain nursing some bumps and bruises. Wright is showing some good things.

* Fortner has solidified that center spot, Coen said.

* Eli Cox is pound-for-pound one of the strongest OL they have, Coen said. Playing well right now. Getting a lot of reps.

* Did some nice things today in game-situation football, Coen said.

ERIC WOLFORD Q&A:

* Rosenthal is long and athletic and experienced at LT, Wolf said. Good fit there with Kinnard proven at RT. In summer training, they clocked Rosenthal at over 20 mph on their GPS stuff, which is really impressive for such a big guy.

* Eli Cox starting to make some noise. A strong guy who can move people off the ball, Wolf said. He said that's a powerful combo over on the right side with him and Kinnard.

* On where Flax fits in... They are still striving to keep playing 8-9 guys in a game, Wolf said, just like they did with Coach Schlarman. He should have his opportunities. "Jeremy Flax is a good football player, and his mind is still in it." Also noted that he can play some guard for them.

* On the second-year OL who may have been affected by Covid… Wolf says that could be a factor and noted that he really sees the effect its had on HS kids they are recruiting.

* Jager Burton has a bright future, Wolf said. "Tremendous skillset." He's going through the transition of playing inside, having guys head-up on you with great size and weight. Takes coaching well.

* David Wohlabaugh has played all three positions so far. A little dinged up right now, but good, versatile player.

* Fortner has done well in transition to center. Gets great matchups every day with Cats’’ D-Line talent.

QB WILL LEVIS Q&A:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News