ADVERTISEMENT

UK fans have lowered their expectations to meet Cal’s performance

Basil Cat

Blue Chip Prospect
May 25, 2021
Cal has brainwashed enough of the fan base with his continuous comments about how hard it is to play here. We are young. They are not robots etc…

UK fans have long been declared the most passionate/ outrageous fans and now this guy has been allowed (mainly by Mitch) to “de-claw” us.

Now so much time has passed since his only title the narcissist in him is realizing his legacy is about to be cemented as most underachieving coach in CBB. But it appears too late and the game has passed him. So we will rinse and repeat the same BS March only matters until we get sent home early then - oh well we had a great season be happy for these kids.

Not so sure. I’ve seen and heard enough of fans comments about him, and 90% are all negative toward him and not just on this board. I don’t personally know anyone that thinks he’s even remotely good at coaching. He’s pretty much a laughing stock but he is getting the last laugh every time he gets paid,

Not so sure. I’ve seen and heard enough of fans comments about him, and 90% are all negative toward him and not just on this board. I don’t personally know anyone that thinks he’s even remotely good at coaching. He’s pretty much a laughing stock but he is getting the last laugh every time he gets paid,

He has a good following on rafters and even house of blue. You're not looking hard enough. These people are still emotionally attached to 09-19 Cal.

He has a good following on rafters and even house of blue. You're not looking hard enough. These people are still emotionally attached to 09-19 Cal.
Yep! Unreal that anyone believes this guy is a good coach. He’s a fvcking fraud! He doesn’t know how to make adjustments. Won’t even get started on his substitution patterns. 🤦‍♂️

It’s time to wake up and understand where the game is headed. This isn’t popular but the days of going into the NCAA tournament with two or three losses are over. Not just for us but for everybody.

Everybody is losing more to inferior opponents than ever before. It won’t be long until the number 1 seeds have 8 losses. The game is played with more possessions, less fundamentals, and in a lot of cases are three point shootouts. Because of this, obviously makes upsets more likely.

In no way am I defending Cal. No excuse for a team this talented to already have four losses. But look around. No other college basketball coach is setting the world on fire either except maybe Hurley at UCONN.

I don’t see UK fans lowered expectations….sometimes fans just went to root for their team no matter how bad it gets

The guy who lowered expectations is Mitch Barnhart snd his absurd contract that put the program in a bind to get awwy from Cal

1. Fan attendance has been down over past five years….that is your #1’sign

2. Fans have been vocal at games, thru media at the job Cal is doing vs years past…why do you Cal bolts after season snd doesn’t do media in offseason (like the puss he is)? We find out on espn interviews with Seth Greenberg about Bradshaw and Ugo statuses….Cal can’t even tell to locals about our own team

3. I’d argue the team js fun to watch offensively which is uptick in attendance and atmosphere….and Shep is a massive draw as a Ky legacy player. Once he moves on (assuming we don’t win big in his 1-2 years at Ky)…I’d expect fan support to wane

It’s time to wake up and understand where the game is headed. This isn’t popular but the days of going into the NCAA tournament with two or three losses are over. Not just for us but for everybody.

Everybody is losing more to inferior opponents than ever before. It won’t be long until the number 1 seeds have 8 losses. The game is played with more possessions, less fundamentals, and in a lot of cases are three point shootouts. Because of this, obviously makes upsets more likely.

In no way am I defending Cal. No excuse for a team this talented to already have four losses. But look around. No other college basketball coach is setting the world on fire either except maybe Hurley at UCONN.
While there may be a lot of validity to this, it does not justify the lack of Tournament success that Kentucky has had since the direction 'the game is headed' in recent years. People rationalize dropping regular season games as building towards March, well then you have to start winning more in March. Kentucky has 1 Tournament win since 2019. This is not even remotely acceptable. Obviously no Tournament in 2020 but 9-16, St. Peter's and 1 win over Providence before losing to K-State does not fit the narrative 'we build for March.'

You aren’t wrong. But it’s compounded by the fact Cal hasn’t won a title in 11 years, hasn’t seen a final four in 8 and has won a single tournament game in 3 years

If this team gets bounced r32 it’s time to fire cal and move on. Next years class isn’t any better than this one and if reed/Rob/Wagner/edwards all bounce then what’s the point. Bring in Scott drew and start caring about basketball again.

Everybody is losing more to inferior opponents than ever before. It won’t be long until the number 1 seeds have 8 losses. The game is played with more possessions, less fundamentals, and in a lot of cases are three point shootouts. Because of this, obviously makes upsets more likely
Dude you taking out of your ass

2023 Bama and Purdue were one seeds …
had 5 losses going into ncaa tournament Houston had 3 losses

2022 Gonzaga had 3 losses Arizona had 3
Losses. Kansas had 6 losses headed into ncaa tournament

2021 Baylor had 2 losses Gonzaga had 1 loss Michigan had 5 losses headed into ncaa tournament

There are more games played them 30 years ago which is reasonable to argue more losses but what Cal is doing losing so many WTH games js not parity…it’s his ass coaching snd roster management

The one seeds…you need to have less then 5 losses (6 max) and has been that way for decades. Schools like Gonzaga, Villanova Houston etc…that mark is more like 4 losses due to strength of schedule

Cal has brainwashed enough of the fan base with his continuous comments about how hard it is to play here. We are young. They are not robots etc…

UK fans have long been declared the most passionate/ outrageous fans and now this guy has been allowed (mainly by Mitch) to “de-claw” us.

Now so much time has passed since his only title the narcissist in him is realizing his legacy is about to be cemented as most underachieving coach in CBB. But it appears too late and the game has passed him. So we will rinse and repeat the same BS March only matters until we get sent home early then - oh well we had a great season be happy for these kids.
The UK basketball program has everything it takes tradition, facilities, fan support, TV exposer, 5-Star recruits to become to college basketball what Alabama has been to college football. Just one major difference. Alabama had Nick Saban, we've got John Calipari.

Yes, Cal has lowered the expectations but he’s also made a lot of former diehard fans much more apathetic. Which might be even worse.

I know I fall into that category, there’s no loyalty any more. 99% of the players that come through our program don’t care about the University or the State. Let’s jokers like Sharpe sit the bench and plays his favorites so they can get the highest pick possible. It got harder and harder to care as one and done fatigue set in. Then the losing piled up, transfer portal came into play. I go into the year without knowing players nowadays. I used to write in notebooks next years 13 guys and what the year after may look like. Charting and keeping track of recruiting visits. Once that passion burned out, it just became entertainment.

Dude you taking out of your ass

2023 Bama and Purdue were one seeds …
had 5 losses going into ncaa tournament Houston had 3 losses

2022 Gonzaga had 3 losses Arizona had 3
Losses. Kansas had 6 losses headed into ncaa tournament

2021 Baylor had 2 losses Gonzaga had 1 loss Michigan had 5 losses headed into ncaa tournament

There are more games played them 30 years ago which is reasonable to argue more losses but what Cal is doing losing so many WTH games js not parity…it’s his ass coaching snd roster management

The one seeds…you need to have less then 5 losses (6 max) and has been that way for decades. Schools like Gonzaga, Villanova Houston etc…that mark is more like 4 losses due to strength of schedule
Nobody's listening to you guys anymore. Might as well give it up.

And don’t forget, we have to “land the plane” every year. “We’re just young”, SMH.

There are many on here who like to twist words just to reply to someone.

Let me be even clearer, my post had nothing to do with Cal’s situation. It’s about the game as a whole.

Again, if you can’t see that the game is changing and that it’s not ever going back then I can’t help you nor am I gonna argue.

I said that the days of two and three loss teams going into the tournament are over. Then some idiot replies with teams that have 5 and 6 losses.

Just for the record of those who think I’m defending Cal.. if we don’t make the final 4 this year, he’s done. He’ll never get close again. And at this rate it doesn’t look good.

Now.. is there somebody else out there who’d be better or more consistent, im not seeing it but doesn’t mean you don’t try.

There are many on here who like to twist words just to reply to someone.

Let me be even clearer, my post had nothing to do with Cal’s situation. It’s about the game as a whole.

Again, if you can’t see that the game is changing and that it’s not ever going back then I can’t help you nor am I gonna argue.

I said that the days of two and three loss teams going into the tournament are over. Then some idiot replies with teams that have 5 and 6 losses.

Just for the record of those who think I’m defending Cal.. if we don’t make the final 4 this year, he’s done. He’ll never get close again. And at this rate it doesn’t look good.

Now.. is there somebody else out there who’d be better or more consistent, im not seeing it but doesn’t mean you don’t try.
I said after the Wisky loss that Cal would never win a title again.

It's nine years later.

Yes, Cal has lowered the expectations but he’s also made a lot of former diehard fans much more apathetic. Which might be even worse.

I know I fall into that category, there’s no loyalty any more. 99% of the players that come through our program don’t care about the University or the State. Let’s jokers like Sharpe sit the bench and plays his favorites so they can get the highest pick possible. It got harder and harder to care as one and done fatigue set in. Then the losing piled up, transfer portal came into play. I go into the year without knowing players nowadays. I used to write in notebooks next years 13 guys and what the year after may look like. Charting and keeping track of recruiting visits. Once that passion burned out, it just became entertainment.
Thats where I am Drew , I'm headed to Columbus oh , got my blue Nike UK gear on this am , but as far as worrying about UK hoops or " bleeding blue" its only for the football team anymore .. after 4 decades of a rabid fan . Followed them all over the USA .. but Cal's treatment of the fans has turned me so much against him it's rubbed off on the team some . Hate it , but I'm being honest. I dont know what time tomorrows game is , Not even exactly sure who we play .. I couldn't name 1 single player on. nearly any other SEC team . It just doesnt matter much anymore . The players dont give a rats ass about Kentucky . ( a few do ) so I'm kinda barely hanging on . and Yes I still catch heat for being so anti Cal by his minions . they still drink the cool aide .. look at Facebook groups of UK fans .. dolts in general , but they worship Cal by the 100s . Oh well I'm late , got to go .

Another poster who's ignorant of the history of Kentucky basketball.

Kentucky has never won national titles every few years. We have 8 over 100 years.
Kentucky has never had a final 4 every other year...etc.

The days of one school dominating year in and you're out are over with all the parity in college basketball due to the transfer portal.

I swear you people freak out when Kentucky loses a game.

Take a deep breath.

Get a life outside of basketball.

This team is light years ahead of the 2013-14 national runner-up, freshman led team.

It's not the loses, it's who the loses are to. We are going to get run by Tennessee, Auburn and maybe Alabama. It's coaching folks! CCC has a different plan for "his players" than we do for "our team." Been that way for years now. If he has to protect them at them at the expense of the program, so be it.

Last edited:
IF fans are truly Kentucky Basketball fans, they are not still behind Cal. Those are the Calipari fans. They don't care about UK, it's traditions, etc. They are greatly outnumbered by the true Kentucky fans, but it's ridiculous that there are so many of the Cal fans around.

You sound like a young fan who is ignorant of the history of Kentucky basketball. Rupp head dry spells worse than Cal's minus the covid year. Joe B. Hall had dry spells worse than Cal minus the covid year.

If you're an older fan I recommend you study the history of RUPP & Hall, which covers the longest history if UK basketball & chill. If you're younger do the same.

You sound like a young fan who is ignorant of the history of Kentucky basketball. Rupp head dry spells worse than Cal's minus the covid year. Joe B. Hall had dry spells worse than Cal minus the covid year.

If you're an older fan I recommend you study the history of RUPP & Hall, which covers the longest history if UK basketball & chill. If you're younger do the same.
I will soon be 60 years old and I've been a Kentucky fan my whole life. I'm well aware of dry spells in the past, but the reality is, Calipari is a terrible coach and he's okay with that. His concern is how many kids he can get into the NBA; he doesn't care about Kentucky, it's tradition or winning basketball games. With the talent he's brought in, it's really embarrassing to see how bad his teams have been.

Like most Kentucky fans, I'm tired of Cal and all of his garbage. I'm ready for a coach who cares about Kentucky, who cares about winning basketball games and trying to win titles. It will be a happy day when Calipari gets away from the Kentucky program!

The title of this thread has a lot of truth to it.

Calipari is not a good game Coach and half the time his teams are not prepared for the opponent they are facing.

Blows my mind, but it's the reason why losing 10 games a year and short visits in the tournament have become the norm and actually expected.

His players haven't been good enough to overcome bad coaching.

I will soon be 60 years old and I've been a Kentucky fan my whole life. I'm well aware of dry spells in the past, but the reality is, Calipari is a terrible coach and he's okay with that. His concern is how many kids he can get into the NBA; he doesn't care about Kentucky, it's tradition or winning basketball games. With the talent he's brought in, it's really embarrassing to see how bad his teams have been.

Like most Kentucky fans, I'm tired of Cal and all of his garbage. I'm ready for a coach who cares about Kentucky, who cares about winning basketball games and trying to win titles. It will be a happy day when Calipari gets away from the Kentucky program!

Lol

UK fans haven’t lowered expectations. Maybe the op has?

But they don’t speak for anyone but themselves.

The haters always speak in plural.

I haven’t lowered my expectations. I expect to win every game.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I live in Michigan now but I still talk to plenty of family and friends in around Kentucky that don’t do fan sites like RR, and all of them have cooled/ soured on Calipari since 2019.

Only on sites like RR will you find trolls, fans of rival programs, and just plain woke contrarians who pretend to support Cal unconditionally.

It's not the loses, it's who the loses are to. We are going to get run by Tennessee, Auburn and maybe Alabama. It's coaching folks! CCC has a different plan for "his players" than we do for "our team." Been that way for years now. If he has to protect them at them at the expense of the program, so be it.
The losses we have suffered are embarrassing and it’s also embarrassing that it’s almost February and we still don’t even know how to play defense.

But when I look around the country it’s happening to pretty much everyone else.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It's called parity! Have you not seen how much this occurs in college basketball now. For you slow people...it's due to transfer portal that spreads the talent out. Its only going to increase.
Unfortunately saying anything like this labels you as a Cal sympathizer. But it’s true and like you said it’s only gonna get worse.

It doesn’t mean anybody’s a fan of it but that’s what it is. I miss the days of the heavyweights dominating but those days are gone.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Guarantee you we don't get "ran" by those teams you mentioned.

Yep, good chance the Cats don't win them all, or heck, any of them...but this team shows up for the big games. They will be super competitive.

Another poster who's ignorant of the history of Kentucky basketball.

Kentucky has never won national titles every few years. We have 8 over 100 years.
Kentucky has never had a final 4 every other year...etc.

The days of one school dominating year in and you're out are over with all the parity in college basketball due to the transfer portal.

I swear you people freak out when Kentucky loses a game.

Take a deep breath.

Get a life outside of basketball.

This team is light years ahead of the 2013-14 national runner-up, freshman led team.
If my post touched a nerve with you that’s fine. It’s my opinion/observation. But I assure you I’m well versed in UK athletics history I will leave it at that.

You have 17000 posts and you tell me to get a life outside basketball. That’s rich …

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT