ADVERTISEMENT

UK and Gonzaga both are 16-6

Does GZ like to run? That might hurt them.

They are 60th in the country in adjusted tempo, we are 13th. So they play fast, just not as fast as us.

Their starting 5 is really good. Ryan Nembhard, Graham Ike, and Anton Watson is as good of the trio as you'll see. Huff has also been solid for them. Nolan Hickman has improved as well.

But their starting 5 typically play 33-35+mins, and they get virtually zero scoring from their bench.

Pace will be key Saturday, and if we can get any of their starters in foul trouble, especially Nembhard or Ike, that's game.

They are 60th in the country in adjusted tempo, we are 13th. So they play fast, just not as fast as us.

Their starting 5 is really good. Ryan Nembhard, Graham Ike, and Anton Watson is as good of the trio as you'll see. Huff has also been solid for them. Nolan Hickman has improved as well.

But their starting 5 typically play 33-35+mins, and they get virtually zero scoring from their bench.

Pace will be key Saturday, and if we can get any of their starters in foul trouble, especially Nembhard or Ike, that's game.
Nembhard. Isn't he like 30? LOL he's been around forever.

Watson would be the player I can see few choosing to attack UK with.

He's a tough matchup. Basically a 6-8 guard, shooting 43% from 3.

Adou could be a big key Saturday. Think he and Justin Edwards, from a size / length standpoint, would be best equipped to check Watson. Justin would have to be assertive like he was last night, but he's got the tools to be a stud defender if he can flip that switch consistently.

Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

Really need the next two games, both at Rupp: vs. Zaga and Ole Miss.

After that, 3 of the next 4 are on the road. @ Auburn, LSU, and Miss St. One home game is vs Bama. That’s going be a tough stretch.
Yeah, that stretch could make or break UK's entire positioning for March.

Really hated this February schedule when the season started.

All of these injuries may have given guys a chance to break out.

Edwards finally looked comfortable. Burks looked VERY comfortable. Z finally got minutes again and was insanely productive. Bradshaw was productive. It's like we found 4 new players last night.

If they can carry that forward, we'll be a better team moving forward. Hopefully that leads to some unexpected wins for February

This is a game where I fully expect we will smash this team. Just have the feeling. Vandy was a slump buster. Time to hook up with a 7.

Yeah, that stretch could make or break UK's entire positioning for March.

Really hated this February schedule when the season started.
Time to nut up and play our best basketball, if we wanna do anything in March it’s time to show it. We shouldn’t be scared of anyone. Play solid defense and drop 90+ and you’re gonna win most games.

Huff doesn't start for them and, for some reason, didn't really play last game against St Marys. They give big minutes to F/C Ben Gregg and G Dusty Stormer. Yeo plays a little too but he's their 8th man.

Gonzaga has a good big, if Kentucky can neutralize him I like their chances

Graham Ike eats against lesser defenses, but struggles to produce against athletic bigs, often times disapearing on the offensive end. I don't know who you have at your 4/5, but my guess is they're athletic and talented.

Does GZ like to run? That might hurt them.

It's one of our slowest teams in years. No projected NBA talent, mostly composed of transfers.

We had two preseason injuries, one of whom is a transfer from Wazzou, projected to be a starting wing and volume shooter. We are thin at all positions, so foul trouble hurts us. Ben Gregg is an athletic 4 who comes of the bench, and is a glue guy who can add a bit of spark, and can shoot 3s, but he's hot and cold.

Nembhard. Isn't he like 30? LOL he's been around forever.

Andrew Nembhard took us to a final four, but he's in the NBA now. Ryan Nembhard is his younger brother who transferred from Creighton.

2 of them are from their crummy conference too. Probably the weakest Zaga team in awhile.

I don't believe we have any WCC transfers. Steele Venters is from Wazzou (Pullman is a town over), but he had a season-ending injury during preseason training.

We definitely need this game.

It feels like this is a desperation game for both teams. The Zags don't have any losses outside Q1, but we also have no Q1 wins. With the general sentiment being that we can't rely on our usual backstop of winning the WCC Tournament, this is our last opportunity to make a statement for an at-large. Our streak of 25 straight appearances might end this year.

Adou could be a big key Saturday. Think he and Justin Edwards, from a size / length standpoint, would be best equipped to check Watson. Justin would have to be assertive like he was last night, but he's got the tools to be a stud defender if he can flip that switch consistently.

If they can get Ike away from the paint,
And force Gonzaga to be sped up, Kentucky has the depth to wear them down

I don't believe we have any WCC transfers. Steele Venters is from Wazzou (Pullman is a town over), but he had a season-ending injury during preseason training.
I was referring to 2 losses in conference already. I feel you all usually don’t have 2 conference losses at the start of Feb.

Replace Edwards with Burks and I think that’ll be better.

Reactions: Mike-McD
I was referring to 2 losses in conference already. I feel you all usually don’t have 2 conference losses at the start of Feb.

My mistake. You're correct. We usually only have one or two going into our conference tournament, and we still have the away legs to play against both teams that, uncharacteristically, beat us at home. I'm counting at least 2 more losses in conference play, and potentially one more in conference tournament play, depending on how our bracket shakes out. We also usually enjoy a double-by for the conference tournament, which I predict to be a single-by this year.

It's no secret we have to make our bones in non-conference play, and we just didn't do that this year. Wins over USC and UCLA are turning out to be meaningless, and we lost against Purdue and UConn, so we definitely view the game at Rupp as our last chance to make a national statement.

FWIW, I'm happy to see metrics like both teams in spite of recent losses.

Can someone give an overview of your expected roster on Saturday? I'd like to post it over on our message board.

Graham Ike eats against lesser defenses, but struggles to produce against athletic bigs, often times disapearing on the offensive end. I don't know who you have at your 4/5, but my guess is they're athletic and talented.

It's one of our slowest teams in years. No projected NBA talent, mostly composed of transfers.

We had two preseason injuries, one of whom is a transfer from Wazzou, projected to be a starting wing and volume shooter. We are thin at all positions, so foul trouble hurts us. Ben Gregg is an athletic 4 who comes of the bench, and is a glue guy who can add a bit of spark, and can shoot 3s, but he's hot and cold.

Andrew Nembhard took us to a final four, but he's in the NBA now. Ryan Nembhard is his younger brother who transferred from Creighton.

It feels like this is a desperation game for both teams. The Zags don't have any losses outside Q1, but we also have no Q1 wins. With the general sentiment being that we can't rely on our usual backstop of winning the WCC Tournament, this is our last opportunity to make a statement for an at-large. Our streak of 25 straight appearances might end this year.
Good.

My mistake. You're correct. We usually only have one or two going into our conference tournament, and we still have the away legs to play against both teams that, uncharacteristically, beat us at home. I'm counting at least 2 more losses in conference play, and potentially one more in conference tournament play, depending on how our bracket shakes out. We also usually enjoy a double-by for the conference tournament, which I predict to be a single-by this year.

It's no secret we have to make our bones in non-conference play, and we just didn't do that this year. Wins over USC and UCLA are turning out to be meaningless, and we lost against Purdue and UConn, so we definitely view the game at Rupp as our last chance to make a national statement.

FWIW, I'm happy to see metrics like both teams in spite of recent losses.
You all seem kind of similar to last year’s UK team. Started out rated high, but lost some ooc games and the “big” wins kind of faded as the season went on. Then mediocre in conference play. I do expect an intense game Saturday. Hopefully we can return the beatdown you all gave us last year ;)

Reactions: ZagsVisitor

Very gracious of you to respond to everyone's questions. Respect.

Reactions: ZagsVisitor
Wagner is looking positive to play and Mitchell is probably gonna be out again, but the rest of the roster is good and should be playing

This is good news.. Is it being reported that Wagner is likely to play?

His defense will be greatly needed, I just hope the ball doesn't stop with him as it often has recently. Our offense looks pretty fine without him yesterday, even if it was Vandy.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Big, big must-win, and then we need the Zags to stay Q1 the rest of the year!
Crazy thing about the NET, they're 28 now, and a Q1 win. If we beat them they could drop out of the Top 30 and would be a NET Q2 win. That's the biggest flaw of the Q system.

They arent as physical as the teams that have beat us............. but, they will score on us. Few will destroy us with his offensive playbook but........... they will give up a lot to us too... we just have to make sure they work for their shots and we need to score 90 pts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT