ADVERTISEMENT

UK’s underrated offense

Lots of unknowns at this point. How does Brock perform? Have our WRs fixed their cases of the drops? Do we have a decent offensive line again? How do we move on from Davis?

We have the makings to be a phenomenal offense, but we've had those makings quite a few times in recent memory and have fallen short. I'm optimistic for this season, though, and you can bet I'll make it to at least one game to cheer our team on.

Hard to know how this offense will perform IMO

1. Bush will have to adjust to sec speed…Boise st never faces the kind of personnel he will see

2. Brand now OC, new Wr snd sort of new OLine coach…..a lot of pieces have to come together

3. Breaking in a new Qb as well. Not only does Brock have to have skills but he’s got to mentally make good decisions and to boot…Will a soft spoken kid be that galvanizing presence

4. This Oline simply hasn’t been good since 2021…..can Mincey be a good tackle, who are the guards, if one is Jager Burton….hes been very bad to meh…does he have it? Sound like other guard will be brand new etc

5. Rb….is Tranum a legit starting Rb in sec? Nobody else seems to think he’s that guy. Big kid but can he make cuts etc to move the ball

A lot of questions….but I do imagine we will have answers

- I like getting back to running the Qb as a weapon. Why we took thst from Levi’s last year was simply dumb

- Stoops has all but said we are going to get back to running the ball…we need an offensive identity…I think stoops wants it back

- Yenser was a poor choice. He was never good before Uk snd he was awful to below average at UK. Woodford love him or not….has been a much better Oline that Yenser. I think unit will perform better by coaching alone

- Uk was nice skilled spot weapons…/ Dingle, Kattus and Anderson are a dang good TE trio. Key Barion and Maclin are some proven sec Wr. Brock has questions but he was a five star for a reason…and Rb room has a potential Boom Williams in Wilcox/Mizzel

Interesting year ahead for sure

I am very optimistic about the O this year. I think Hamden will be a solid OC and our style will be the best of Coen and Gran mixed together: an inside zone, physical running game with QB a threat mixed with a West Coast, work the middle of the field, NFL style pass attack.

OL has to gel but the pieces are present. Wolford has proven he's a much better coach than Yenser at multiple stops and his lines tend to get better as the season wears on. He'll find the best combos and they'll improve over the season. Receiving corps is among the best UK has fielded. If BVG makes consistently smart decisions, we have weapons to utilize.

A lot of 'ifs', but I don't perceive that we need every single 'if' to come true in a big way to be a solid offense.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/46/06/E1AC7653-5964-41A9-88DC-1403746E40F9/IMG_8355.heic

Hard to know how this offense will perform IMO

1. Bush will have to adjust to sec speed…Boise st never faces the kind of personnel he will see

2. Brand now OC, new Wr snd sort of new OLine coach…..a lot of pieces have to come together

3. Breaking in a new Qb as well. Not only does Brock have to have skills but he’s got to mentally make good decisions and to boot…Will a soft spoken kid be that galvanizing presence

4. This Oline simply hasn’t been good since 2021…..can Mincey be a good tackle, who are the guards, if one is Jager Burton….hes been very bad to meh…does he have it? Sound like other guard will be brand new etc

5. Rb….is Tranum a legit starting Rb in sec? Nobody else seems to think he’s that guy. Big kid but can he make cuts etc to move the ball

A lot of questions….but I do imagine we will have answers

- I like getting back to running the Qb as a weapon. Why we took thst from Levi’s last year was simply dumb

- Stoops has all but said we are going to get back to running the ball…we need an offensive identity…I think stoops wants it back

- Yenser was a poor choice. He was never good before Uk snd he was awful to below average at UK. Woodford love him or not….has been a much better Oline that Yenser. I think unit will perform better by coaching alone

- Uk was nice skilled spot weapons…/ Dingle, Kattus and Anderson are a dang good TE trio. Key Barion and Maclin are some proven sec Wr. Brock has questions but he was a five star for a reason…and Rb room has a potential Boom Williams in Wilcox/Mizzel

Interesting year ahead for sure
Is Wilcox any good at all. Word out of spring camp was that he wasn’t picking up the playbook

This is by Jon Rothstein? I never heard of him

This is the returning offensive production by SEC teams

Texas A&M 82.5%

Ole Miss 65%

Alabama 62.2%

Auburn 59.3%

Florida 52.6%

Mississippi State 47.9%

Oklahoma 46%

South Carolina 43%

LSU 40%

Tennessee 35.2%

Missouri 33.7%

Georgia 29.2%

Texas 21.8%

Arkansas 8.6%

Vanderbilt 4.8%

Kentucky 0%

• Haha
Reactions: BlueTick2

Texas A&M 82.5%

Ole Miss 65%

Alabama 62.2%

Auburn 59.3%

Florida 52.6%

Mississippi State 47.9%

Oklahoma 46%

South Carolina 43%

LSU 40%

Tennessee 35.2%

Missouri 33.7%

Georgia 29.2%

Texas 21.8%

Arkansas 8.6%

Vanderbilt 4.8%

Kentucky 0%
He did no research at all then

Texas A&M 82.5%

Ole Miss 65%

Alabama 62.2%

Auburn 59.3%

Florida 52.6%

Mississippi State 47.9%

Oklahoma 46%

South Carolina 43%

LSU 40%

Tennessee 35.2%

Missouri 33.7%

Georgia 29.2%

Texas 21.8%

Arkansas 8.6%

Vanderbilt 4.8%

Kentucky 0%
Aren’t those the percentages for returning scoring for the basketball teams?

Texas A&M 82.5%

Ole Miss 65%

Alabama 62.2%

Auburn 59.3%

Florida 52.6%

Mississippi State 47.9%

Oklahoma 46%

South Carolina 43%

LSU 40%

Tennessee 35.2%

Missouri 33.7%

Georgia 29.2%

Texas 21.8%

Arkansas 8.6%

Vanderbilt 4.8%

Kentucky 0%
So Dane Key, Barion, Dingle, Kattus don't count for returning offense?

I mean when you lose your QB and RB....like what do you expect...but if you are not counting WR, TE...then what is the stat useful for.

Reactions: maroon79
I think the offense hinges on 2 things. Does Shorts have enough cache as a coach to make Dane and Barion work? Last year it was a well known secret that the work ethic wasn't there and you saw significant sophomore slumps.

The second thing is how dead set is Stoops and Hamden on building the offense around the run game? I think this has been an issue a couple of the years we were set up for success. I think coaches decided they were gonna run no matter what and it made the offense predictable and easy to contain. Leary had a bad season last year but the amount of times he had to throw on 3rd and long would cause any QB issues. I personally think the run game will be good enough but it doesn't need to cost us games early on while we try to force that identity.

Reactions: mattrudd
I think the offense hinges on 2 things. Does Shorts have enough cache as a coach to make Dane and Barion work? Last year it was a well known secret that the work ethic wasn't there and you saw significant sophomore slumps.

The second thing is how dead set is Stoops and Hamden on building the offense around the run game? I think this has been an issue a couple of the years we were set up for success. I think coaches decided they were gonna run no matter what and it made the offense predictable and easy to contain. Leary had a bad season last year but the amount of times he had to throw on 3rd and long would cause any QB issues. I personally think the run game will be good enough but it doesn't need to cost us games early on while we try to force that identity.
Agree, for the most part. Leary had an 'okay' season, imo. His stats turned out to be 'ok' and he had stretches in games where he looked very good. However, his consistency, accuracy, ability to make quick decisions was very much below expectations/preseason hype. He wasn't helped out by BB and DK's drop off in production but he also made plenty of bad decisions, bad throws and had numerous balls batted down at the LOS. Was never a threat to tuck and run for any significant yardage, either.

I'm not sure the offense will be built around the run game but I do expect us to run the ball more efficiently with more physicality and have better short yardage success with perhaps not as many huge runs that Davis provided. I also expect the OL to be better in '24 after improving in '23 over the disaster of '22. BVG has the potential to be a big upgrade over Leary. Also, could be no better if not a bit worse due to inexperience. We'll see.

Reactions: MontyCats
So Dane Key, Barion, Dingle, Kattus don't count for returning offense?

I mean when you lose your QB and RB....like what do you expect...but if you are not counting WR, TE...then what is the stat useful for.

This can't be for football, I know UK has receivers coming back who caught some passes, even if only credited for half their receiving yards it isn't 0% returning. other teams that lost QBs and RBs have much higher percentages returning.

Key and Barrio. Have like 11-12 TDs I think

I’m old, so that number may be skewed a little

Agree, for the most part. Leary had an 'okay' season, imo. His stats turned out to be 'ok' and he had stretches in games where he looked very good. However, his consistency, accuracy, ability to make quick decisions was very much below expectations/preseason hype. He wasn't helped out by BB and DK's drop off in production but he also made plenty of bad decisions, bad throws and had numerous balls batted down at the LOS. Was never a threat to tuck and run for any significant yardage, either.

I'm not sure the offense will be built around the run game but I do expect us to run the ball more efficiently with more physicality and have better short yardage success with perhaps not as many huge runs that Davis provided. I also expect the OL to be better in '24 after improving in '23 over the disaster of '22. BVG has the potential to be a big upgrade over Leary. Also, could be no better if not a bit worse due to inexperience. We'll see.
I agree, I wasn't trying to completely absolve him of his performance last year but it felt like Liam was dead set on fitting him into the box he wanted him to play in. I think a few adjustments would have served him well.

I think people are sleeping on Brock, any player with his pedigree taking over a starting position would get the benefit of the doubt and projected to do big things. I believe his 3 year education at Ga is being viewed as a negative when I think its a positive. The guy knows what it takes to win, he also realizes this is his shot. My only concern with Brock is that we haven't heard a ton out of camps and I know I heard on at least one podcast I respect say they were hearing Brock had a lot of the same issues as Leary (one read, trouble processing). That same podcast said they had heard that unlike Leary that Brock was coming out of it and becoming more comfortable playing inside the offense. I believe we have a shot at having a really good first year and a massive 2nd year under Brock.

I agree, I wasn't trying to completely absolve him of his performance last year but it felt like Liam was dead set on fitting him into the box he wanted him to play in. I think a few adjustments would have served him well.

I think people are sleeping on Brock, any player with his pedigree taking over a starting position would get the benefit of the doubt and projected to do big things. I believe his 3 year education at Ga is being viewed as a negative when I think its a positive. The guy knows what it takes to win, he also realizes this is his shot. My only concern with Brock is that we haven't heard a ton out of camps and I know I heard on at least one podcast I respect say they were hearing Brock had a lot of the same issues as Leary (one read, trouble processing). That same podcast said they had heard that unlike Leary that Brock was coming out of it and becoming more comfortable playing inside the offense. I believe we have a shot at having a really good first year and a massive 2nd year under Brock.

I don't know what offense your new OC will run. But Brock played in a HUNO pass happy offense in HS. Granted his competition wasn't the greatest in class A private school, but his teammates weren't filling the P5 rosters around the country either. His top receiver was about 5'5", i am being serious, and walked on at UGA but since transferred somewhere. So if that is what UK runs, he will fit in. At UGA we run a pro style play action type offense and he fit in with that too. I think he is adaptive and will fit in pretty well with whatever UK runs. He has looked good in his chances to throw, he has looked good when he tucked and ran it. If I had anything negative to say, he has never taken a meaningful snap in college, and it looked like he made one read and either threw it or pulled an run. The last one is a little unfair because his opportunities to throw have been very limited. He has looked elite and turning and handing the ball off, which was about all he was allowed to do.

I don't know what offense your new OC will run. But Brock played in a HUNO pass happy offense in HS. Granted his competition wasn't the greatest in class A private school, but his teammates weren't filling the P5 rosters around the country either. His top receiver was about 5'5", i am being serious, and walked on at UGA but since transferred somewhere. So if that is what UK runs, he will fit in. At UGA we run a pro style play action type offense and he fit in with that too. I think he is adaptive and will fit in pretty well with whatever UK runs. He has looked good in his chances to throw, he has looked good when he tucked and ran it. If I had anything negative to say, he has never taken a meaningful snap in college, and it looked like he made one read and either threw it or pulled a run. The last one is a little unfair because his opportunities to throw have been very limited. He has looked elite and turning and handing the ball off, which was about all he was allowed to do.
Thanks for the insight! How good do you believe Brock can be this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT