ADVERTISEMENT

Ugonna will play against UNC

You can't give up on this board because just when you do, something hilariously stupid will be posted to make the time wasted here seem worth it.

The idea that it would be a negative to have an athletic 7-footer with experience and proven defensive skills on the bench against a team that relies on Armando Bacot to be the focus of their offense is peak stupidity, even for rafters.
It ain’t hard to figure out. We all saw how great this team was without a center. We added one to the rotation and things haven’t looked the same since. I can only imagine how bad adding another will be.

It ain’t hard to figure out. We all saw how great this team was without a center. We added one to the rotation and things haven’t looked the same since. I can only imagine how bad adding another will be.
Well, we had to go to OT against St. Joe at home and lost to UNCW at home all without a center. So, I'd say things were far from perfect without a center. I'm all for giving Bradshaw major minutes. Think he significantly boosts our ceiling for March.

Not the centers fault though. In fact he is the best player on the team probably and it hasn't taken long to see that.

Not the centers fault though. In fact he is the best player on the team probably and it hasn't taken long to see that.
Not his fault for certain but the team is certainly approaching the games differently than they were beforehand. Probably more cal and how he wants things to go but while not bradshaws fault the team certainly looked and played better without him in the lineup. The team may adjust and get back to looking as they did before but so far they haven’t and that’s not really up for debate. Adding a sloth like UGO into the mix is only going to make things even worse, not better.

I’m not sure how big of an impact Ugo will have in his first game back, especially against a quality opponent like UNC. However, I do think people seem to forget how good he was for us in very limited minutes last season. His per-40 averages were as follows:

15 points
15 rebounds
6 blocks

Those are Oscar type numbers, only light years better defensively. He pretty much made Hunter Dickinson his bitch on multiple occasions in that Michigan game. Dude is an ELITE shot blocker whose timing is impeccable, and has a soft touch as well. I’m excited for his continued development. If he will just be patient and stay at UK, he will be a first-rounder without a doubt.

Bradshaw played in the loss to UNCW.
True, but it was limited minutes and you could tell he wasn't up to speed. Think Cal said he'd had only 1 practice prior to the UNCW game. Looked much more in the flow against Penn and is presumably the player we get moving forward.

Cal made the comment post-Penn that he has 2 teams now, a small team and a big team. So, hopefully we still see both versions moving forward. Both will have their moments depending on the matchup and it's great to have the flexibility to play either way at any time.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’m not sure how big of an impact Ugo will have in his first game back, especially against a quality opponent like UNC. However, I do think people seem to forget how good he was for us in very limited minutes last season. His per-40 averages were as follows:

15 points
15 rebounds
6 blocks

Those are Oscar type numbers, only light years better defensively. He pretty much made Hunter Dickinson his bitch on multiple occasions in that Michigan game. Dude is an ELITE shot blocker whose timing is impeccable, and has a soft touch as well. I’m excited for his continued development. If he will just be patient and stay at UK, he will be a first-rounder without a doubt.
First rounder????? He has zero offensive ability from 12-15 feet from the basket, let alone from 22 feet where all in today’s NBA are required to be able to knock it down from. Others, like you, have pointed out his per 40 block numbers (mostly against cupcake U part of the schedule) but fail to recall the numerous times his man scored through him with relative ease.

I think those expecting good things from him, forget great, are going to be vastly disappointed. He simply is not going to fit in with the makeup of this team or allow us to be the best version of ourselves. So far we have already seen a much better player in Bradshaw take away from that, albeit a small sample size, and hopefully that trend does not continue.

Ugonna hurt his foot during UK's exhibitions in Canada back in July. He'd been playing this past summer. Upthread there were posts that said he hadn't played for a year. Maybe UK years are different than human years. Or maybe they meant "this year" as in "this season".

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Ugonna hurt his foot during UK's exhibitions in Canada back in July. He'd been playing this past summer. Upthread there were posts that said he hadn't played for a year. Maybe UK years are different than human years. Or maybe they meant "this year" as in "this season".
I made the comment that he hasn’t played meaningful game minutes in almost a year, which he hasn’t. Exhibition action is not meaningful game minutes. His last meaningful action took place Jan. 7 at Alabama where he logged 11 minutes in our 26 point loss.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I am looking forward to Onyenso playing. Now vs UNCheat, I don't expect him to play a lot. Maybe 10min, maybe even just 5. Bacot will break (twig) Bradshaw in half. I like what I saw from Bradshaw last game, but Bacot is a bad matchup for him. Onyenso is much stronger, and practiced vs Oscar (Bacot clone) all last year. But it's his first game. But Onyenso can help on rim protection and rebounding!!! Those are 2 of our 3 biggest weaknesses (along w/ ball penetration).
Before Bradshaw returned, we were seeing approx:
Mitchell 35mpg
Theiro 27mpg
Edwards 28mpg
Burks 11mpg
3-guards 18mpg

After both Bradshaw and Onyenso are blended in, my best guess is we will see something like:
Onyenso 12mpg
Bradshaw28mpg
Mitchell 28mpg
Theiro 18mpg
Edwards 24mpg
Burks 0mpg
3-guards 10mpg

I think where Ugo may be able to help is when/if we get in foul trouble. UNC is #16 in the nation when it comes to getting to the free throw line. They also rebound the ball very well- which isn’t a surprise.

The hypocrisy holds no bounds with these comments. Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to these unhinged fans.

I'm sure most of these so called fans are trolling.
Nope. People are venting, and for good reason. Calling fellow fans "so-called fans" IS trolling.

Reactions: dl51344
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how he fits in with this team. He can certainly add some rim protection, but I'm worried he'll clog up the lane on offense. With Bradshaw playing like he did today, he probably won't see more than 10 mins/game.
He doesn't need to as long as Bradshaw stays healthy. But he will be good to spell Bradshaw and allow Mitchell to keep playing a stretch 4 role.

Seems like he wasn’t practicing well before the injury- at least that was what one of the KSR folks were saying. Doubt he can do much more than play a couple minutes to give Bradshaw or Mitchell a break.
If he wasn't playing well before the injury, could it have been he was having some issues that he wasn't alerting the staff to, then aggravated it to the point he made it worse?

6 months ago Cal sucked because this kid was in the portal. Now that he might play, Cal sucks because he might play. Everyone needs to make up their minds.
Speaking of which, weren't you just worrying about team chemistry vis-a-vis Bradshaw a couple of weeks ago? Maybe you should make up your mind.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA

15 points
15 rebounds
6 blocks

NBA scouts said he was the best shot blocker since Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel in HS.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
What a horrible idea if so. With cal though horrible ideas is about all I expect any longer.
Why? You don't think we could use him against Bacot? You don't think we could use depth against their (better) bigs? You don't think we need an additional shot-blocker, especially since our only one has just played 2 games and probably doesn't have adequate fitness?

Glad he is back for sure, unc is a bad game for him to start back at though. That game is gonna be a track meet and he isn’t that type of big. But if he can give 3-5 mins then I will gladly take it
If he's healthy and has competed well in practice, give me a 4-minute balls-to-the-wall stretch in each half. And just try to make Bacot's life miserable during those 4 mins. Simple task

UGO is not athletic and hasn’t played in a game in a year. You want a post to laugh at, reread your own.
Sorry man, but you're the one playing the fool. Ain't no one talking about him starting or playing 36 mins. But with a potential All-American 7-footer on the floor, you want as much depth as possible in this game. Bradshaw is a twig and will get bullied, we saw what Dickinson did to Mitchell and Adou, so why on earth wouldn't we want Ugo available for this game?

Bradshaw has NEVER played against someone like Bacot before - he can't play 30 plus mins in this game. And again, Mitchell ain't the answer. The answer is depth depth depth. And Ugo weighs about 25lbs more than Bradshaw, so he'll be tougher to bully...

Plus, if it's a track meet - depth depth depth. Can't have Bradshaw on the floor (only played 2 games) for a track meet - he'll fatigue the quickest out of everyone.

Nope. People are venting, and for good reason. Calling fellow fans "so-called fans" IS trolling.
I think the troll/unhinged thing is that a bunch of the "Bradshaw is like Sharpe and will never play here" posters have now seamlessly transitioned into "Bradshaw is messing up our flow" posters.

The transition of the miserable squad was seamless and predictable.

True, but it was limited minutes and you could tell he wasn't up to speed. Think Cal said he'd had only 1 practice prior to the UNCW game. Looked much more in the flow against Penn and is presumably the player we get moving forward.

Cal made the comment post-Penn that he has 2 teams now, a small team and a big team. So, hopefully we still see both versions moving forward. Both will have their moments depending on the matchup and it's great to have the flexibility to play either way at any time.
Knowing Cal, he'll use the Small Team to play catch-up, and the Big Team to slow it down to 20 frames per second so he can contemplate what he's going to scribble on his Etch-A-Sketch next timeout.

• Haha
Reactions: michaeluk26
We put up a ton of points, but so did our opponents. We were getting killed on rebounds and if you don’t remember what happened last time a decent big man was on the other side, watch the champions classic. What did HD go off for? We lost because we didn’t have a big man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT