ADVERTISEMENT

UGA game might just turn into a friendly rivalry

Jan 5, 2017
If Stoops can continue to pull the talent like this past Class we might have a punchers chance soon vs UGA and legitimate becoming the 2nd best program in EAST. I think we are actually better then Florida pretty much last 3-4 years we have just shot ourselves in foot plus stung with Injuries last game. We need a couple wins next 5 years vs UGA IMO. That being said we need to get over the psychological GAME which is UT and handle rest of EAST to go along with getting UGA couple times next 5 years or so. If UGA were ever to consider us a rival. We become a rival with UGA we have arrived to where Stoops envisioned this program. A rival to UGA would be pretty cool. I would say a friendly rivalry cause I have Respect for their program and most their fans. Right now we are just another stepping stone to win East for them.

Yes I think so to, because it is easy to see the development from some of these young men.. This class is loaded with talent and it will pay off in 2 years or less..
I want to beat UT and UF most of all and then we have a chance to get by anyone..

GBB
If we can make that UGA game into the game for the East most years ,then mission accomplished by Stoops. To be a rival to UGA would also mean KENTUCKY football would have received respect as a Football program. UF fans can say all they want but we have had the better team ATLEAST 3 out of last 4 years. You could tell by L.O.S. play. They won games on Bullshit gutless penalties, Not covering recievers, QB Injuries etc.. UT game just seems psychological right now. We had clearly had the better team last 4-5 years but seems UK just literally craps down their legs. We have to start beating them 2 teams (UF UT) 3x every 5 years as well TO claim the 2nd best program going forward in East.

If Stoops can continue to pull the talent like this past Class we might have a punchers chance soon vs UGA and legitimate becoming the 2nd best program in EAST. I think we are actually better then Florida pretty much last 3-4 years we have just shot ourselves in foot plus stung with Injuries last game. We need a couple wins next 5 years vs UGA IMO. That being said we need to get over the psychological GAME which is UT and handle rest of EAST to go along with getting UGA couple times next 5 years or so. If UGA were ever to consider us a rival. We become a rival with UGA we have arrived to where Stoops envisioned this program. A rival to UGA would be pretty cool. I would say a friendly rivalry cause I have Respect for their program and most their fans. Right now we are just another stepping stone to win East for them.
The teams are similar... strong defense, strong on both LOS, and struggles offensively. Our depth is what sets us apart with most teams but Stoops knows what's up.
Now go win 2 in a row in Gainesville!
[cheers]

We've had a grand total of one competitive game against them in Stoops tenure. Which we lost against one of their most beatable teams ever. Not trying to be a bitch here, but I have no optimism it changes anytime soon- even if they have a mediocre game coach, they still load up talent like no other in the country except Alabama.

Georgia will remain the class of the east. But if we can stockpile enough talent and play well enough to perhaps win one against them every 5 years or so, then that likely means we'd be playing in the SEC championship game during that season....provided we take care of business against everyone else of course. To have a shot at the SEC a couple of times per decade would be absolutely awesome and I'd be proud as punch if we ever rose to that level.

If you want to be taken seriously, can’t lose to all three, UT/Florida/UGA, every year. I’m not 100% believer in Kirby Smart. Dan Mullen on the other hand is a fantastic coach, but Grantham as his DC will cost him dearly if he keeps him. Not enough Data on the UT coach. Butch won 10 games twice and got fired. This guy gets to 7 and a raise. AD’s are poor businessmen

Reactions: AR15CATWARRIOR
That wat I am trying to say, beat them 2 more consistently cause we have had the better teams. Get over that bump then claim the 2nd best Program in East CREATING a punchers chance to start to challenge UGA here and there.

Yeah, it's a big bump to get over. The issue is they are getting better as well and their fanbases would obviously argue they are in fact the better teams because they continue to win the games.

Reactions: Noogavol10
If you want to be taken seriously, can’t lose to all three, UT/Florida/UGA, every year. I’m not 100% believer in Kirby Smart. Dan Mullen on the other hand is a fantastic coach, but Grantham as his DC will cost him dearly if he keeps him. Not enough Data on the UT coach. Butch won 10 games twice and got fired. This guy gets to 7 and a raise. AD’s are poor businessmen

We get over the psychological hurdles of UF and UT which with talent that is coming in here(WINNERS), THOSE HURDLES will be conquered IMO. When that happens on consistent basis we become a threat and could become a thorn in UGA'S side.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Hmm losing all the time means your better huh.

I don't consinder us being better until we actually start beating them consistently.

Yet that fantastic coach is 0-3 against Kirby. 2 of them beatdowns. I just don't understand how someone who hasn't won any kind of hardware gets labeled fantastic.

Let's beat tn and florida consistently first.

We didn't beat SC and Mizzou consistently ...

... until we did.

We've had Florida's number the last few years and it's just been bad luck with our losses. The ewetee thing is just mental and this fall we will have three fairly easy games and a bye week going into that game. Unless we try too hard to beat them, this should be the year to take care of that long overdue business. Then the sky's the limit.

Reactions: dapa1206
I like where your head is but we have a ways off before we can rival with Georgia

We are headed in the right direction, though

Let’s take on Tennessee first before we jump to UGA. I love the direction we are going in. But you don’t go 0-10 against UGA, 2-8 against Tennessee and 1-9 against Florida in the 2010’s and just jump to the big dog for the rivalry.

The worst part is, the 2010’s is the worst margin of defeat in the UGA series of any decade ever (dating back to the 1930’s).

We have a shot next year with a healthy QB.

Our 'ats' are Florida, Auburn, Missouri & Tennessee. I ain't skeered of any of those.

Oddly, I'm least afraid of Auburn - they haven't played this new Stoops UK team - they won't be expecting anything more than they usually get. Also, if I recall, we handed them a game not too long ago and almost beat Cam Newton at home too.

Yes I think so to, because it is easy to see the development from some of these young men.. This class is loaded with talent and it will pay off in 2 years or less..
I want to beat UT and UF most of all and then we have a chance to get by anyone..

GBB

Similar thoughts as well, lets beat UT and UF regulatory and the Georgia game will take care of itself.

Yet that fantastic coach is 0-3 against Kirby. 2 of them beatdowns. I just don't understand how someone who hasn't won any kind of hardware gets labeled fantastic.

Ive always wondered the same thing. It’s pretty obvious the guy is a pretty good football coach, but I’m not so sure I’d call him fantastic. I like Kirby too, but I’m starting to get the feeling he’s going to lose his job one day down the road for the same reasons Mark Richt and Les Miles lost their jobs. He can’t seem to get it done in the postseason.

Genuine rivalries are not one sided.
It will take many UK victories/Georgia heartbreaks before they would ever consider us a rival. Heck, even if we beat them a couple times, they'll only consider it a fluke.

It's the same way we feel about Vandy.
It will be years before Georgia stops scheduling homecoming for the UK game.

Reactions: UKat1
Like the others have said, let's start beating UT and Florida regularly then maybe we can start talking about beating the likes of UGA and making it a rivalry. I'm sick of our team always shitting the bed against UT and Florida, there is no reason for it.

The scary thing about Florida and Mullen is they are really recruiting well the last couple years. I’m afraid they will become a power top 10 or top 5 program again. They now have a good coach and a great recruiter.

With a healthy Wilson this year or if Bowden goes into the season as the quarterback we beat Fla and Tenn and challenge Ga. for the East. We are not beating those three teams enough to be called a rivalry yet but if we continue to improve and QB's are healthy going into next season We may challenge in the East. Have to win against those three teams a few times to be a real rivalry.

No offense but we need to own Louisville and then start beating UTooth on a consistent basis before setting our sites on UF or UGA - especially UGA who have been in the playoff hunt every year since Opie Smart has been there.

Love the optimism but UGA/UF and 70% of the SEC would view our current class as a down year. Think about that for a second and then you'll see how this kind of premature talk makes us look like U6 fans.

Looking at the classes, are we closing the gap? Clearly we are, but our top 20 class is still 4th in our division. One thing i noticed about UFs class is they have 8 DBs. On paper, our OL and DL are better (how many years/classes can we say that? even AFTER they took THREE of our commits!) But 8 DBs??

Then looking at UT, they may have advantage in WR and def have higher rated LBs and DBs. Other than that, our class looks better (OL, RB, DL). If we had flipped Baron and Calloway, then our class would've leapfrogged theirs. JMO.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
Ive always wondered the same thing. It’s pretty obvious the guy is a pretty good football coach, but I’m not so sure I’d call him fantastic. I like Kirby too, but I’m starting to get the feeling he’s going to lose his job one day down the road for the same reasons Mark Richt and Les Miles lost their jobs. He can’t seem to get it done in the postseason.

That's possible for sure, but as long as he is doing well against GT, AU, UF and UT I think he is probably ok. Should have won it his 2nd year, 3rd year had a shot, this year Swift was injured, played 3 snaps, leading receiver was out, 2nd receiver was suspended 1st half, 3 receiver injured 1st series. With all that our endemic offense became non existent. Combine that with the offense LSU was putting on the field, not good for us, but even with everyone healthy we still get beat 2,-3 scores.

Reactions: UKat1 and cat888
Looking at the classes, are we closing the gap? Clearly we are, but our top 20 class is still 4th in our division. One thing i noticed about UFs class is they have 8 DBs. On paper, our OL and DL are better (how many years/classes can we say that? even AFTER they took THREE of our commits!) But 8 DBs??

Then looking at UT, they may have advantage in WR and def have higher rated LBs and DBs. Other than that, our class looks better (OL, RB, DL). If we had flipped Baron and Calloway, then our class would've leapfrogged theirs. JMO.

You have to string together multiple classes and still recruit talent at the skill positions. Your dline class isn’t necessarily better outside of signing Rogers. We might add a top 10 OT if we want in St John but our Oline class last year was one of the top in the country. If you are a real player to win the conference or much less the east you wouldn’t even be wanting the players in this class to play for two years because that would mean you have talent and the depth it takes to win big. Both UT and UK aren’t to that point yet. You also need elite QB play and I’m not sure you will have one on the roster next year.

Reactions: shutzhund
That's possible for sure, but as long as he is doing well against GT, AU, UF and UT I think he is probably ok. Should have won it his 2nd year, 3rd year had a shot, this year Swift was injured, played 3 snaps, leading receiver was out, 2nd receiver was suspended 1st half, 3 receiver injured 1st series. With all that our endemic offense became non existent. Combine that with the offense LSU was putting on the field, not good for us, but even with everyone healthy we still get beat 2,-3 scores.

Agreed. That team LSU is putting on the field is nothing short of special, their defense could get them in trouble against just about any team in the playoff. Also I did forget about Cager and Pickens not being able to really affect that game. Fields could’ve benefited Georgia much more than Fromm this year, but nothing you can do to control that, that’s more of a flaw within the transfer rules, it has helped Kentucky, but I’m not really a huge supporter of open free agency in college football.

Agreed. That team LSU is putting on the field is nothing short of special, their defense could get them in trouble against just about any team in the playoff. Also I did forget about Cager and Pickens not being able to really affect that game. Fields could’ve benefited Georgia much more than Fromm this year, but nothing you can do to control that, that’s more of a flaw within the transfer rules, it has helped Kentucky, but I’m not really a huge supporter of open free agency in college football.

I agree on Fields, he has been exceptional this year. No doubt we handled him poorly last year. He played a good bit but it was after the game was decided and he mostly handed the ball off to a 4th string RB running behind 3rd string offensive lines. Fromm lost his confidence during the Carolina game, still doesn't have it back. Today's game with all the rule changes over the years have created a huge advantage for the offense and until these defensive minded head coaches are willing to accept change and adapt it's going to be tough sledding for them. Kirby and Stoops have not yet, while Coach O and Saban have. Even some offensive coaches haven fully embraced the new concepts, Gus hasn't and I don't believe Mullen has either.

Nice thought. Beat them a time or two and we might as well quit petting that pretty dog that barks at you and looks so playful. Those Ga boys don't like to have guests play in their yard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT