ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN

Has taken the top spot for the best blue blood. Two games away from their 6th title since 1999, Kentucky has 1 in that time…. Just unreal what they have been accomplishing, props to them.
This UCONN team is an outstanding team and probably wins it all; however, one condition that must be a requirement of blue blood status is how long you've been successful. Yes, they've been both really good and very fortunate in a relatively short time. In my lifetime, they will never ever eclipse the overall decades-long success rate that we have enjoyed in our illustrious history. I applaud their success--this may be their best team ever--but they still have a long way (decades) to go before they can legitimately lay claim to being the top blue blood. I know you mean "for now" that they might be in the top spot (for what that's worth--several could have made that claim over the years) but I'd rather lay legitimate claim to being, at least since 1930, still the greatest college program of all time.

No program is perfect. No program has gone unscathed. When I travel or when I'm home, and wear my UK colors and gear, I'm confident in knowing that I and others who see me understand that those are colors of college basketball's top program and in many respects, it's still not even close.

What in the holy hell does that have to do with UConn’s path? This thread is titled UConn.
It has everything to do with the post it quoted and far more to do with this topic than your post here does.

This UCONN team is an outstanding team and probably wins it all; however, one condition that must be a requirement of blue blood status is how long you've been successful. Yes, they've been both really good and very fortunate in a relatively short time. In my lifetime, they will never ever eclipse the overall decades-long success rate that we have enjoyed in our illustrious history. I applaud their success--this may be their best team ever--but they still have a long way (decades) to go before they can legitimately lay claim to being the top blue blood. I know you mean "for now" that they might be in the top spot (for what that's worth--several could have made that claim over the years) but I'd rather lay legitimate claim to being, at least since 1930, still the greatest college program of all time.

No program is perfect. No program has gone unscathed. When I travel or when I'm home, and wear my UK colors and gear, I'm confident in knowing that I and others who see me understand that those are colors of college basketball's top program and in many respects, it's still not even close.
25 years is not a short time.

And those 25 years have not been kind to UK. How long until we aren't a blue blood? 10 more years?

Huge difference between UK and UCLA. Our records DWARF UConn in any statistical category in terms of program success. It’s not even close. This will only make UConn’s seventh FF. They’re just a lucky program that wins it damn near every time they make it. Also, they’ve been dominant in the last two seasons, seasons in which college basketball is really down.

Nobody is really comparing Uconn to any program directly...yet anyway.

Folks are merely suggesting that they have done enough to get into the same category and discussion.

I don't think CBB is down. I just think it has leveled out a bit. In fact, one could argue when programs like FAU, SDSU, Nc St, Baylor, Houston, Purdue, etc are making deep runs then things are actually tougher.

Things aren't tough when the only game you may have to worry about is Duke in an EE.

When programs like James Madison, Oakland, St. Pete, Duquesne, Yale are winning at least a game every year. Shit is tough.

Isn’t it great to be able to sit here during March Madness and discuss who is a Blue Blood rather than worrying about winning our next game? Thank you Cal, for giving us this reflection time!

• Haha
Reactions: Five Nattys
We are the old bull that no one fears or respects. UK is a joke now. Absolutely no one thinks UK is an elite program any longer. We have a history but no present or future as long as we keep the same old way of thinking. You can celebrate the days that everyone has forgotten and most weren’t even born to see but our days as the big dog is over. Until we get a change of the old guard at least.

Connecticut is due to drop. They made money through the first four games. I'm certain they're going to lose. Too much money not for them to lose.
They're definitely due to not cover. And giving Alabama 11 and a half points seems like enough to not be able to cover.
Connecticut beats Alabama by 12 that'll be adding to their games in a row tournament record they beat people by double digits.

I'm taking Alabama and points. Mark Sears is better than their point guard. Hurley is an overrated cocky chump who's due to get one....
Lucky fuk. Your time's almost up.

And in 30 years when the shotclock is 25 seconds and a 4 point line arrives.....those titles suddenly won't mean much anymore. Facts are, the program won the titles within the rules set at that time. Such a dumb argument. Wonder how long before fans start saying 4 team CFP titles don't mean much anymore because ''it was just 4 teams., not 12''.
A little late replying to this but I am sympathetic to your argument, and I agree with you, of course, that "the program won the titles within the rules set at that time" -- it's all you can do. I still think Kentucky is the best college program in the history of the sport. With that said I would trade our last 25 years for UConn's in a heartbeat.

I think it's natural to give more weight to recent results. You probably don't consider Yale a football powerhouse but of course they leads all schools with 18 national championships, never mind that most of them came in the 19th century.

Secondly, rule changes do matter for weighing the value of a championship. Winning a championship in a league that excludes non-white players is not as impressive as winning a championship in a league that includes them. Winning 3 games in an 8 team NCAA tournament is not as impressive as beating out a 64 team field. UConn wouldn't have even made an 8 team NCAA tournament in 3 of the 5 years they won the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT