ADVERTISEMENT

UConn players, can they leave?

etownblue25

Sophomore
Jul 30, 2008
With the portal being closed I assume Uconns players are stuck there if Hurley leaves....or is there a special circumstance exemption that they can use if a coach bolts?

Moving forward, student-athletes are expected to enter the Transfer Portal within their sport's notification-of-transfer windows, which Division I members emphasized are important for providing transparency to student-athletes and coaches for recruitment opportunities, roster management and financial aid planning. There will continue to be exceptions to the legislated transfer windows, including for the departure of a head coach or a discontinued sport. Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows.

Last edited:
They are probably making phone calls just in case, as we speak.

If Hurley leaves not one player will stay.

The question will not only be "who does Pope/UK want, if anyone?" and who might go to a rival?"

My thought is that I believe Hurley makes the players. I'm not convinced yet that his guys, even the ones going to the NBA this year, are as good as people might think. I think Hurley and his system are good enough to make a lot of his guys look very good.

UConn's run will be over if Hurley leaves now. The players will have 30 days to leave, and they will, and there's nobody left in the portal for them to go after. It'll be a KP UL type season if this happens.

Can't say I'm upset. Uconn fans might be fine with this because they got this awesome 2 year run.. but Uconn goes from being THE program, back to being what they were with Kevin Ollie, which was essentially a non-threat to really anyone. AND the timing of this means they will have no one for next year. This will be a multi year rebuild as you said. And not sure what coach will want that.

The question will not only be "who does Pope/UK want, if anyone?" and who might go to a rival?"

My thought is that I believe Hurley makes the players. I'm not convinced yet that his guys, even the ones going to the NBA this year, are as good as people might think. I think Hurley and his system are good enough to make a lot of his guys look very good.
Sensible.

This could be a really remarkable 4 year span for any team we've seen in quite some time.

From on the brink of obscurity for Uconn.
To utter dominance for 2-3 years.
And right back to being a no one.

And even if Hurley turns down the Lakers job.. guess what job might be opening up soon? A job that's 2nd to only LA.. Boston Celtics. Joe Mazzula probably isn't going to last there, certainly not if they were to lose this series.

Hurley will be in the NBA before long. If not LA, than someone else.

Last edited:
Depends on who they hire. Also, for the players at UCONN, there as just not many open spots at the big time college programs. Really nowhere to go. Kind of held hostage by this happening so late, IF Hurley leaves. UK has ONE spot, so they can't really take on players, same for MOST top teams.

The only way some guys stay is if they bump up Luke Murray, which I think would be a disaster to be honest (he's a good "coordinator", not ready to be the head man).

Think they probably have to call Ed Cooly who is a good recruiter and might get some guys to stay.

But it'll be a feeding frenzy for sure.

Can we get back in with McNeely?

My stance is...take the best players available, even if it drives others elsewhere. Kansas is known for just taking dudes, and if it causes lesser-talented commits to go elsewhere, then so be it (which is why they were still going after Jaxson Robinson despite the commits they already had at that spot).

We should have the same strategy.

We only have one roster spot left so if their roster is raided we can only take one. I don’t think there will be as much attrition as you all think. They are a championship caliber team again and will land a quality coach.

Can't say I'm upset. Uconn fans might be fine with this because they got this awesome 2 year run.. but Uconn goes from being THE program, back to being what they were with Kevin Ollie, which was essentially a non-threat to really anyone. AND the timing of this means they will have no one for next year. This will be a multi year rebuild as you said. And not sure what coach will want that.
With the portal I’m not sure any program has to be in a multi year rebuild. Look at UL. They have been a dumpster fire for several years but found some pieces through the portal that may allow them to win 20 games this year (depending on how good Kelsey is).

We only have one roster spot left so if their roster is raided we can only take one. I don’t think there will be as much attrition as you all think. They are a championship caliber team again and will land a quality coach.

See my post just above yours. I don't think that should be the mindset in today's day and age. Think you have to take the guys who get you where you want to go the quickest, and if that makes other guys go elsewhere, then so-be it.

Would I trade McNeely or Karaban for Almonor right now? Absolutely.

Would I trade Aiden Mahaney for Kriisa? Probably as well.

Just being honest- I love those 2 guys of course but if you can upgrade the position, think you have to try to do it.

Cal never would...too afraid to break guys hearts.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The only way some guys stay is if they bump up Luke Murray, which I think would be a disaster to be honest (he's a good "coordinator", not ready to be the head man).

Think they probably have to call Ed Cooly who is a good recruiter and might get some guys to stay.

My stance is...take the best players available, even if it drives others elsewhere. Kansas is known for just taking dudes, and if it causes lesser-talented commits to go elsewhere, then so be it (which is why they were still going after Jaxson Robinson despite the commits they already had at that spot).

I'd be just fine if McNeely was stuck in limbo, he turned us down.

Reactions: will1976
They will want to keep their class and the used car salesman that is Cal could do it.. and you know his ego will force him to. He’ll feel like that was a huge win considering all that has happened this offseason.

See my post just above yours. I don't think that should be the mindset in today's day and age. Think you have to take the guys who get you where you want to go the quickest, and if that makes other guys go elsewhere, then so-be it.

Would I trade McNeely or Karaban for Almonor right now? Absolutely.

Would I trade Aiden Mahaney for Kriisa? Probably as well.

Just being honest- I love those 2 guys of course but if you can upgrade the position, think you have to try to do it.

Cal never would...too afraid to break guys hearts.
No way! I don't want a single player on Uconn's roster. They made their decision and the guys who want to be here selected UK.
Even if it's a positional upgrade the downside is killing team chemistry. You wanna be a 9's sloppy seconds or a 7's dreamboat?

No way! I don't want a single player on Uconn's roster. They made their decision and the guys who want to be here selected UK.
Even if it's a positional upgrade the downside is killing team chemistry. You wanna be a 9's sloppy seconds or a 7's dreamboat?

I don't look at College Basketball like dating, I look at it like a business.

An amazing sales rep turned down our offer to take a job at a different company, the next time he interviews, I don't care- if he's still an amazing sales guy and I can get him, I am going to get him.

Same with customers. You went with our competitor instead of us and it didn't work out, now you want us to be your supplier again- I'm supposed to say no out of principle because they didn't pick us the first time?

The businesses that hold grudges are just passing on talent, passing on success, passing on opportunity out of spite.

That's not a winning formula- same with basketball.

This isn't dating, this isn't the bachelor, this is a multi-billion dollar business where we pay Mark Pope a LOT of money to do one thing: win national championships.

If a guy or two from UCONN's roster helps us do that, then he has an obligation to go do it.

Both Murray and Kimani Young are two very solid and capable assistants. Alex Karaban stated as much "having coach Murray and coach Young is like having 3 head coaches, we would not be where we are today without them." Murray is considered a excellent X's and O's coach along with being a very good recruiter. Young had a LOT to do with building the UCONN roster the last few years. Now, IF Hurley leaves and takes both with him (very possible), then UCONN would likely lose several guys. But IF they promote Murray, I do not think they will lose very many guys if any. Like I stated earlier, WHO replaces Hurley will determine the roster. Karaban would not leave if either was promoted, IMO.

So Hurley turns down UK and will leave for the pathetic Lakers? He would have had stability here. First slump the Lakers go into Lebron will be calling for his head. lol. What a poor decision is so.

The Lakers have had a lot of success. They have 18 nba titles. I do not disagree NBA is a more pressure league to win right away and I don't get the decision personally. He is set for life at UCONN, even if he didn't win anymore titles.

This is why he didn't consider coming to UK IMO.

Reactions: Fox2monk
UConn's run will be over if Hurley leaves now. The players will have 30 days to leave, and they will, and there's nobody left in the portal for them to go after. It'll be a KP UL type season if this happens.
I think if they hire from within they could hold on to some of their guys. But I think we need to wait on trying to sign Riley and see what happens at UConn. Would love to grab a guy with some title experience.

I think if they hire from within they could hold on to some of their guys. But I think we need to wait on trying to sign Riley and see what happens at UConn. Would love to grab a guy with some title experience.
Who with tile experience would you nab ? Karaban ? Not a chance. Everyone else is either in the draft and / or have no eligibility remaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT