ADVERTISEMENT

UConn players, can they leave?

So Hurley turns down UK and will leave for the pathetic Lakers? He would have had stability here. First slump the Lakers go into Lebron will be calling for his head. lol. What a poor decision is so.
Lebron is about to retire in a year, max 2 years. He is on record as telling the Lakers to "hire someone post Lebron James, hire for the long term future." In big time basketball pro or college, there is no such thing as stability, especially with college rosters now changing yearly. A lot of the marquee college coaches are already fed up with all that and now having to do fundraisers. The NBA, they can just focus on basketball. The Lakers know their roster / salary cap situation. They also know that in order to rebuild, they need to hire a coach who is great at building rosters and having a professional, no non sense working atmosphere. They also know they have to make a long term commitment, which is why they are offering Hurley a LONG term, MEGA contract. It is to get a coach and keep him for several years, not fire him after a year and start all over.

This is why there's a portal. Coaches have the freedom to leave without consequences whenever they d*** well want to.

Reactions: JDHoss
See my post just above yours. I don't think that should be the mindset in today's day and age. Think you have to take the guys who get you where you want to go the quickest, and if that makes other guys go elsewhere, then so-be it.

Would I trade McNeely or Karaban for Almonor right now? Absolutely.

Would I trade Aiden Mahaney for Kriisa? Probably as well.

Just being honest- I love those 2 guys of course but if you can upgrade the position, think you have to try to do it.

Cal never would...too afraid to break guys hearts.

I agree with you but if this happens the comple bullcrap about wanting players that play for the front is even more of a farce.

Kicking off players that wanted to be here to bring n guys that didn't to be here until Hurley left is comical.

I dont think Pope is that type of coach and person though.

UConn's run will be over if Hurley leaves now. The players will have 30 days to leave, and they will, and there's nobody left in the portal for them to go after. It'll be a KP UL type season if this happens.
“uconn run will be over.” what i said when calhoun left.
🙄

Last edited:
What sucks is Arkansas only has about 9 players on the roster
Well, here’s what is going to happen.

Hurley goes to Lakers….UConn players go into portal….. within 48 hours, Cal takes UConn job, so all Arky players then have 30 days to transfer so… all the Arky players wind up at UConn with Cal.

It really is pretty simple

I’ve got a reliable Trilly-ish source in this one.

A guy at a stop light, here in Owensboro, with a “Please help… Homeless” sign told me. I gave him a fiver and thanked him. Scuttle-scoop

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Who with tile experience would you nab ? Karaban ? Not a chance. Everyone else is either in the draft and / or have no eligibility remaining.
Hassan Diarra, Samson Johnson, Solomon Ball, and Jaylin Stewart are all back for another season and got minutes on last year's team.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The only way some guys stay is if they bump up Luke Murray, which I think would be a disaster to be honest (he's a good "coordinator", not ready to be the head man).

Think they probably have to call Ed Cooly who is a good recruiter and might get some guys to stay.

But it'll be a feeding frenzy for sure.

Can we get back in with McNeely?

My stance is...take the best players available, even if it drives others elsewhere. Kansas is known for just taking dudes, and if it causes lesser-talented commits to go elsewhere, then so be it (which is why they were still going after Jaxson Robinson despite the commits they already had at that spot).

We should have the same strategy.
It’s a straight business now, they are making bank. Being recruited over is fair game. It’s basically like the pros now. Earn your spot every single year.

The Lakers have had a lot of success. They have 18 nba titles. I do not disagree NBA is a more pressure league to win right away and I don't get the decision personally. He is set for life at UCONN, even if he didn't win anymore titles.

This is why he didn't consider coming to UK IMO.
I think he didn’t come to UK or anywhere else because he was waiting for this opportunity. He wants to try it and if it works great. If not he will have every school in America wanting him with an opening when he returns.

Karaban is a pipe dream.

Could we use him? Absolutely. Would he be our best player? Most likely. Do we really need him? Probably not. We have two Seniors in Carr and Almonor who will play the 4.

If Pope goes after any of their guys, I suspect it would be McNeely. He has already visited recently and fits the system and has more eligibility than Karaban. He probably plays 2 years giving us another veteran in 25-26. We are going to need some returning talent since we have seven guys expending their eligibility.

We seem to have plenty of old so I'd rather make an upside move with some eligibility ahead of them (see McNeely, maybe Mahaney he is a junior, I think) and chance them going one and done.

McNeeley fits perfectly at UK. Put him next to Jaxson Robinson on the other wing spot. If it costs you a role player wing, so be it. McNeeey is a future lottery pick.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
McNeeley fits perfectly at UK. Put him next to Jaxson Robinson on the other wing spot. If it costs you a role player wing, so be it. McNeeey is a future lottery pick.
Yup.

A Robinson/Brea/Oweh/McNeeley rotation at the 2 and 3 would be pretty good.

I know some are really high on Chandler and McNeeley would probably knock him out of the rotation, but I like the idea of bringing Chandler along slowly anyway, since he has been away from competitive ball for two years.

Yup.

A Robinson/Brea/Oweh/McNeeley rotation at the 2 and 3 would be pretty good.

I know some are really high on Chandler and McNeeley would probably knock him out of the rotation, but I like the idea of bringing Chandler along slowly anyway, since he has been away from competitive ball for two years.
The comparable depth on the roster would be fascinating. Literally two deep at every position with very little drop-off from the starters to the bench.

Williams - Garrison - Carr
Carr - Almonor - Oweh - Noah
McNeeley - Oweh - Robinson - Noah
Robinson - Brea - Chandler - Noah
Kriisa - Butler - Perry

Obviously not as top heavy in talent as some teams like 2015, 1996, or 1997 (pre-Anderson injury), but the 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th man off the bench would be comparable.

Pope could potentially press as well, with that level of depth.

I give Hurley 3 years at the Lakers and he will be back at UConn
If he takes the leap, he's almost certainly not coming back to college. It would take a Pitino-to-Boston fail, and the Lakers are going to give Hurley time because they know LeBron and Davis are almost done.

I envision Hurley being given time to oversee the rebuild in LA. I actually think that's the long-term plan for the Lakers at this point: bring in Hurley to guide the young talent that they will invariably be bringing in through the draft in the post-LeBron years.

If he takes the leap, he's almost certainly not coming back to college. It would take a Pitino-to-Boston fail, and the Lakers are going to give Hurley time because they know LeBron and Davis are almost done.

I envision Hurley being given time to oversee the rebuild in LA. I actually think that's the long-term plan for the Lakers at this point: bring in Hurley to guide the young talent that they will invariably be bringing in through the draft in the post-LeBron years.
If I were an NBA coach I'd never come back to the sheet show that is college basketball now.

If I were an NBA coach I'd never come back to the sheet show that is college basketball now.
You're wise on this level of thinking.

College basketball is basically a one-year league with open free-agency, worse referees, worse rules, mostly fickle fan bases, infinitely smaller revenue streams, annoying summer recruiting cycles, lesser salaries, and bipolar annual rules changes.

Hurley should take the Lakers job and never look back.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I wish Fan Duel had win over/unders out for next year but they don't. I'd bet my entire account on under.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT