ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA fans think they have a shot at Calipari.

Cal is more about creating millionaires than dealing with em, think his time with nets soured him. Here Cal has control of roster makeup and development, nba not do much.
Think.Cal likes taking boys of high quality and turning them into men

If you're UCLA and looking to hire a great coach, it makes sense to float rumors that a great coach is "interested." It's completely intangible, you can't be embarrassed or proven wrong, and it makes the job look more interesting.

They know they aren't hiring John Calipari. They're hoping to hire someone as close to him as they can get, though, and getting that guy to believe a coach like Cal might be interested is way better than admitting that Eric Musselman is the best you can do.

If you're UCLA and looking to hire a great coach, it makes sense to float rumors that a great coach is "interested." It's completely intangible, you can't be embarrassed or proven wrong, and it makes the job look more interesting.

They know they aren't hiring John Calipari. They're hoping to hire someone as close to him as they can get, though, and getting that guy to believe a coach like Cal might be interested is way better than admitting that Eric Musselman is the best you can do.
Yep. Perception. Good post.

He has been rumored to a few places in the 9+ years LOL. It was the Knicks last year to join KK. NO to join AD. Lakers once upon a time. Cleveland, well it might be easier to name the places that weren't rumored to have him in the bag.

He is under contract through 2024. Brad grew up here basically and redshirted this year. Paynes son joined the team and redshirted this year. Cal is the highest paid coach in college and is treated like a god here. He has stated a lot of goals that he still wants to hit before he is done. I don't think he starts over at 59 with his goals being 40-0 and Top 5 picks in the draft, maybe 3, can't remember and some of the other ones I have heard him say. He has said he waited his whole life to get this job and he isn't going to just give it up. He said that this year.
I believe Coach K is the highest paid coach?

He has been rumored to a few places in the 9+ years LOL. It was the Knicks last year to join KK. NO to join AD. Lakers once upon a time. Cleveland, well it might be easier to name the places that weren't rumored to have him in the bag.

He is under contract through 2024. Brad grew up here basically and redshirted this year. Paynes son joined the team and redshirted this year. Cal is the highest paid coach in college and is treated like a god here. He has stated a lot of goals that he still wants to hit before he is done. I don't think he starts over at 59 with his goals being 40-0 and Top 5 picks in the draft, maybe 3, can't remember and some of the other ones I have heard him say. He has said he waited his whole life to get this job and he isn't going to just give it up. He said that this year.

One of his stated goals is to surpass ucla in championships. I don’t know how realistic that is at this point but he has said so.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Cal might use them for a pay raise at UK. No way uk would let him leave before matching whatever offer he ever gets.

UCLA needs one of those Hollywood makeovers, a program rebranding. Someone with a big personality to come in and get people at least semi-excited about Bruin Basketball again. Say what you will about their base, but we all know when the W's are consistent people will come out and get interested again.

They need the right hire, why schools fawn at Coaches who have floated around forever (Like the Alfords of the world) without great success is beyond me. Especially a school with their resources and History.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
UCLA fans...
giphy.gif

I think Bruce Pearl is an interesting choice.

UCLA would be less challenging than Auburn - easier to recruit, you don't play a killer schedule in conference and he'd consider it the pinnacle of his coaching career.

I'm scared he be Jim Harrick Part II for them though.

Just so you know I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I do not see Coach Cal leaving UK in the near future.

But if you set your fandom aside for a minute and consider:

1. The west coast sucks at college sports.

2. Couple thousand miles from the nearest competition for recruits.

3. Both of your rivals are likely about to get nuked by the NCAA.

4. It is LA and you can write your own check.

5. Just getting them in the tournament would be an accomplishment.

That is not a bad job.
Cal is a competitor People that have a competititive bone in their body do not like #1, #2, #3, #5 Other than that good argument

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
There are so many reasons Calipari wouldn’t even consider that job. Many have been stated already. It’s just not even on the radar. I would be willing to bet Cal might work it for a raise at Kentucky but that’s even a stretch given that he is already at the top salary wise. Just not going to happen.

I think they will struggle finding anyone with a solid record to even consider it. Likely have to pull someone from a weak school or a mid major. Very won’t look at it either. Cronin might consider it but I doubt that too.

Quick, name 1 UCLA coach post John Wooden who wasnt fired. OK, there's Larry Brown who coached there 2 years from 79-81, aaaaaaand that's it.
Steve Alford, fired.
Ben Howland, fired.
Steve Lavin, fired.
Jim Harrick, fired.
Walt Hazzard, fired.

If you've had to fire every coach you've had the last 30 years it's not a good job.
Give me a break. You make it sound like those coaches didn't deserve to get fired. Alford missed the tournament in 3 seasons. Never won a conference championship. Lavin? Are you kidding? One conference championship (first season). 10 wins his last season. That clown got 7 years!! He was and still is an awful coach. Recruits started figuring that out in the end. Hazzard was brutal. One tournament appearance. Harrick got "busted" and was fired. Only guy you could argue about is Howland but he missed the tournament 2 of his final 4 years (one losing season). That program was unraveling. Local recruits didn't like him. UCLA tolerated Lavin for 5/6 years? Alford for 6 seasons.

Kentucky fires a coach who won a national championship and fired Gillispie after two winning seasons (Was not going to get it done at Kentucky by the way). Kentucky never would have tolerated what Alford, Lavin , and Howland did. They would have pulled the plug on those guys way earlier. You know it and I know it. Don't act like that would have never happened. Bunch of hypocrisy. Kentucky is worse. Hell.. North Carolina fired their own "blood" Matt Doherty after three seasons because they knew he was not going to get it done.

Give me a break. You make it sound like those coaches didn't deserve to get fired. Alford missed the tournament in 3 seasons. Never won a conference championship. Lavin? Are you kidding? One conference championship (first season). 10 wins his last season. That clown got 7 years!! He was and still is an awful coach. Recruits started figuring that out in the end. Hazzard was brutal. One tournament appearance. Harrick got "busted" and was fired. Only guy you could argue about is Howland but he missed the tournament 2 of his final 4 years (one losing season). That program was unraveling. Local recruits didn't like him. UCLA tolerated Lavin for 5/6 years? Alford for 6 seasons.

Kentucky fires a coach who won a national championship and fired Gillispie after two winning seasons (Was not going to get it done at Kentucky by the way). Kentucky never would have tolerated what Alford, Lavin , and Howland did. They would have pulled the plug on those guys way earlier. You know it and I know it. Don't act like that would have never happened. Bunch of hypocrisy. Kentucky is worse. Hell.. North Carolina fired their own "blood" Matt Doherty after three seasons because they knew he was not going to get it done.

Which title winning coach did Kentucky fire?

Reactions: Catluv

Uh yeah, that's the point. UCLA is a shit job. Every coach fails there. There's no hypocrisy, yall can fire whoever you want.

BTW, Tubby Smith wasn't fired, do you even follow college basketball?

Reactions: lonnie boyd
So PJ is done for the year and Cal is leaving for UCLA. Man, been a rough 24 hours around here!

Cal making 9 mil now, if that is offered say 11 mil at UCLA, he would still make less in CA after taxes. Cal loves being a big fish in a medium pond. He wouldn't get the same love, passion, and allegience from ucla fanbase that the Commonwealth of Kentucky gives him.
Cal lives Kentucky and Kentucky, BBN lives Cal
Spot on.

Reactions: crpoore
Good catch. Thanks. Tubby didn't get fired.

It’s what we’re here for. (^;

The only coaches to get fired from Kentucky basketball in the last 80 years either got the program put on probation, had a drinking problem, were caught diddling the coeds or some combination of 2 of the 3.

Uh yeah, that's the point. UCLA is a shit job. Every coach fails there. There's no hypocrisy, yall can fire whoever you want.

BTW, Tubby Smith wasn't fired, do you even follow college basketball?

No he wasn't fired. If you read my second post you would know that. UCLA is such a "terrible" job they still have the third most players in the NBA. They were coming off three consecutive final fours when they had their last competent coach. The coaches who have failed are the ones who never should have been hired ((Lavin, Hazzard, and Alford) Now if you want to say it's not a great job because they don't pay "right now" that's fair. We're going to see what it stands at on this next hire. If they're going to give Chip Kelly four million dollars a year at a basketball school what do you think they're going to pay the new coach?

No he wasn't fired. If you read my second post you would know that. UCLA is such a "terrible" job they still have the third most players in the NBA. They were coming off three consecutive final fours when they had their last competent coach. The coaches who have failed are the ones who never should have been hired ((Lavin, Hazzard, and Alford) Now if you want to say it's not a great job because they don't pay "right now" that's fair. We're going to see what it stands at on this next hire. If they're going to give Chip Kelly four million dollars a year at a basketball school what do you think they're going to pay the new coach?
UCLA is always going to be second fiddle to the Lakers and the Rams. And probably USC football. Do I think UCLA can get a good coach? Yes. But he may not be the homerun hire UCLA fans think they will get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT