ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA fans think they have a shot at Calipari.

I noticed a few days ago Seth Davis said UCLA would focus efforts on Tony Bennett and John Calipari. Supposedly ready to finally spend big dollars. Can’t see it.

There are so many reasons that would never happen, I don't think I could list them all. I'll name a couple...

#1 Brad redshirted this season and Cal wouldn't leave before he graduates.

#2 PAC12 basketball has been in decline for several years.

#3 UCLA basketball has been in decline for many years.

#4 Why would Cal leave one high pressure job that he has mastered to go to another one? UCLA has chewed up multiple coaches and spit them out. I think he'd retire first.

#5 Cal is at the pinnacle of the sport he loves. Why go anywhere else?

#6 Cal has never lived or coached west of the Mississippi river. I don't think he'd be interested in living on the West Coast.

#7 Cal's recruiting contacts and roots are mostly in the East and South. He'd be starting over in many respects. He's too old for that.

Will someone tell them they're just another has been program. Basically just west coast IU.

Just so you know I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I do not see Coach Cal leaving UK in the near future.

But if you set your fandom aside for a minute and consider:

1. The west coast sucks at college sports.

2. Couple thousand miles from the nearest competition for recruits.

3. Both of your rivals are likely about to get nuked by the NCAA.

4. It is LA and you can write your own check.

5. Just getting them in the tournament would be an accomplishment.

That is not a bad job.

Last edited:
I know folks outside Kentucky and even some inside the state will argue this point,...but California looks great on TV and to those who have never been there maybe. To me and I honestly think to a fella like Cal and his wife I wouldn't trade a small city that is clean , safe with predominantly good people for the jam packed freeways and desert landscapes and high priced everything.

Cal's Dad was in the Bahamas's and seen a vendor selling beer, seen it was 8$ a cup and said to hell with that. His sons a multi millionaire but that's the way they are. Smart with money. And you don't give up UK for those guys cause they won on some streak in the 60s and early 70s.

FWIW I think Cal has a working relationship with Nike that would complicate his arraignments. Maybe I'm wrong but World Wide and his " consultation" would be over as well.

As was stated the reasons not to leave Lex are to many to mention.

Last edited:
This s*** is rich. UCLA hasn't mattered since 1948. C'mon bro. I mean Get The F*** Out of Here. Not happening. Ever. I don't care of they make him president of the university, pay him 20 million per year and call him Jesus.

They’ve been without a coach for months and now people start pumping this garbage?? Seems like a bs move to me in order to try and distract

He gave his word when he took this job, 10 years. We're going to see if he keeps it.

Haven't we seen this movie enough in the past? Dream job for a program in ruins. I think Cal has more money then he can ever spend. Didn't he just donate a million dollars to charity? I guess people can always dream. For a guy who can't coach and is a cheating scumbag we sure do hear of a lot of teams always wanting to lure him away LOL.

Haven't we seen this movie enough in the past? Dream job for a program in ruins. I think Cal has more money then he can ever spend. Didn't he just donate a million dollars to charity? I guess people can always dream. For a guy who can't coach and is a cheating scumbag we sure do hear of a lot of teams always wanting to lure him away LOL.

Happens every year with you guys doesn't it?

He has been rumored to a few places in the 9+ years LOL. It was the Knicks last year to join KK. NO to join AD. Lakers once upon a time. Cleveland, well it might be easier to name the places that weren't rumored to have him in the bag.

He is under contract through 2024. Brad grew up here basically and redshirted this year. Paynes son joined the team and redshirted this year. Cal is the highest paid coach in college and is treated like a god here. He has stated a lot of goals that he still wants to hit before he is done. I don't think he starts over at 59 with his goals being 40-0 and Top 5 picks in the draft, maybe 3, can't remember and some of the other ones I have heard him say. He has said he waited his whole life to get this job and he isn't going to just give it up. He said that this year.

I think Kentucky is Cal's last coaching gig and would not be surprised if he retires after he finishes his current contract. I can't see the man sticking around like Coach K.

I'm starting to get a little worried the more I think about it. All Cal wants to talk about these days is Alaska, and California is a shorter flight there. Mitch could have a real battle on his hands...

Reactions: DCFseattle
I'm starting to get a little worried the more I think about it. All Cal wants to talk about these days is Alaska, and California is a shorter flight there. Mitch could have a real battle on his hands...
LMFAO. He likes watching it. Dudes a NY guy he doesn't really want to be out there in the wilderness freezing and surviving. Nice from the couch.

Reactions: Fox2monk
if Brad redshirts this year, doesn't that mean he doesn't have to wait to play some where else next year?

Reactions: rabbitTown
Just so you know I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I do not see Coach Cal leaving UK in the near future.

That is not a bad job.

I would never take another job in LA. After living in California (Just north of Los Angeles) for 20 years, I could not wait for my wife to retire, after I retired, to get the hell out of that dump.
Terrible traffic, terrible cops, terrible people, and and and. If you are a liberal, be my guest by all means and live there.

That is not a bad job.
Quick, name 1 UCLA coach post John Wooden who wasnt fired. OK, there's Larry Brown who coached there 2 years from 79-81, aaaaaaand that's it.
Steve Alford, fired.
Ben Howland, fired.
Steve Lavin, fired.
Jim Harrick, fired.
Walt Hazzard, fired.

If you've had to fire every coach you've had the last 30 years it's not a good job.

https://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_b...uins-basketball-coaching-search-hot-board-2-0

"John Calipari
Pros: If you’re talking about top-tier coaches in the 21st century, you have to talk about Calipari. He’s taken three different programs to the Final Four (don’t look at how many of those were later vacated) and he has a knack for getting talented players into his program and actually developing them. UCLA fans need only look back to the 2016-2017 season for an example, as UCLA was able to go into Lexington and beat a young Kentucky squad early in the season, only to face them in the Sweet 16 and get absolutely handled by a team that had clearly developed over the season. Calipari can get talent, but it’s the fact that he can actually do something with that talent that makes him so appealing.

Cons: Well, if you want to talk about cons, I did kind of mention the whole “left two programs right as they were about to be hit with NCAA sanctions” thing up there. Now, to be fair, Calipari was never directly linked to the issues that came up, unlike some people who will appear on this list later, but it’s still definitely something to be wary of. The other big con is his cost; Calipari makes almost $9 million a year at Kentucky. UCLA is willing to open the pocket book, but, at that amount, Calipari would almost have to take a pay cut to make the move and that might be all the difference.

The Latest: If I am being completely honest, part of the reason for reviving the Hot Board right now is the Seth Davis piece discussing the UCLA opening, when he casually mentions that Calipari is at the top of the Bruins’ wish list. And honestly? It almost makes perfect sense. Calipari just oozes LA; he basks in the glitz and glamour and loves to hobnob with big names. And make no mistake—a UCLA program under Calipari would instantly move back into elite status and those big names would be around the program pretty quickly. I get that he’s Public Enemy #1 for many fans, but, if I’m UCLA and Calipari expresses interest, I’m handing him the checkbook and asking him how much he’d come for."

:rolleyes:

Erik Musselman at Nevada
Kelvin Sampson at Houston
Bruce Pearl at Auburn
Chris Beard at Texas Tech

I was actually thinking about Pearl to UCLA the other day. I think he’d kill it there. He can recruit to their standards. He’s charismatic enough to handle the job. They’ve already shown the don’t mind baggage. I think Pearl would be a home run for them. As down as the conference is he’d win it most years and get good tournament seeding. Good enough to make a few elite 8’s and that’s a huge step up for them.

Not for college jobs.

Any other college job is a downgrade, as are all but a few NBA jobs.

Even the best NBA jobs have needed to package a generational star and front office control to get Cal thinking.

Not sure why my fellow fans are even responding to this, even to laugh. Even funnier coming from a few random non-blue-check twitter accounts.

Ah, guess I'm technically guilty now.

Everybody's amped up going into the first weekend, I suppose.

Anyways, I'll put this on my list of fears right next to being struck by lightning.

Cal making 9 mil now, if that is offered say 11 mil at UCLA, he would still make less in CA after taxes. Cal loves being a big fish in a medium pond. He wouldn't get the same love, passion, and allegience from ucla fanbase that the Commonwealth of Kentucky gives him.
Cal lives Kentucky and Kentucky, BBN lives Cal

There are so many reasons that would never happen, I don't think I could list them all. I'll name a couple...

#1 Brad redshirted this season and Cal wouldn't leave before he graduates.

#2 PAC12 basketball has been in decline for several years.

#3 UCLA basketball has been in decline for many years.

#4 Why would Cal leave one high pressure job that he has mastered to go to another one? UCLA has chewed up multiple coaches and spit them out. I think he'd retire first.

#5 Cal is at the pinnacle of the sport he loves. Why go anywhere else?

#6 Cal has never lived or coached west of the Mississippi river. I don't think he'd be interested in living on the West Coast.

#7 Cal's recruiting contacts and roots are mostly in the East and South. He'd be starting over in many respects. He's too old for that.
I’ll add to this list.

1. Cal is making 9.2 million a year. UCLA wouldn’t/couldn’t do that.

2. Cal is God like at UK. He would not be close to that in Los Angeles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT