ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ulis mic’d up

He will be a head coach one day.
He will. Not sure at Div 1 or 2 but he’s very solid in fundamentals and floor vision. Only thing I’d worry about him as a HC is recruiting at a high level consistently. He’d do well at a mid major I think where expectations aren’t sky high and he could learn more and grow as a coach.

He will. Not sure at Div 1 or 2 but he’s very solid in fundamentals and floor vision. Only thing I’d worry about him as a HC is recruiting at a high level consistently. He’d do well at a mid major I think where expectations aren’t sky high and he could learn more and grow as a coach.
How could you or anyone else have any idea if Ulis would be good or bad at recruiting at this point!!?

How could you or anyone else have any idea if Ulis would be good or bad at recruiting at this point!!?
Because recruiting is a name game. Tyler is not established yet. I didn't say he'd suck. What is going for him is he did spend some time in the NBA so that will help give him some edge with connections. But, it's a whole different game than it used to be with NIL.

He’s still young, he has time learn and grow. If he doesn’t get anything else from Cal, he should definitely pay attention on how Cal recruits. Not coaching ability, just recruiting, there’s no one better than Cal to learn from.

Reactions: bbncal02
He’s still young, he has time learn and grow. If he doesn’t get anything else from Cal, he should definitely pay attention on how Cal recruits. Not coaching ability, just recruiting, there’s no one better than Cal to learn from.
I agree. Cal does know how to recruit. It's one of the trickiest parts of the game. Because sometimes you just lose. Even Cal has at that.

Ulis will be a solid HC somewhere just may be at a small school for awhile.

I agree. Cal does know how to recruit. It's one of the trickiest parts of the game. Because sometimes you just lose. Even Cal has at that.

I agree but also remember whatever he lacks in as a coach, he can hire an assistant for it. For an example, hopefully Cal lets Welch take over the offense fully! 😬

I agree but also remember whatever he lacks in as a coach, he can hire an assistant for it. For an example, hopefully Cal lets Welch take over the offense fully! 😬
That's true, but if someone is really good at it, they will be courted by much bigger schools.

I think Tyler could do well at a midmajor and gain enough talent to be competitive. Then who knows?

Reactions: UK-Fan78

Joe B had to leave, get some HC time under his belt, then come back. That said, NIL changes everything.

The thing about Tyler I loved the most was, you never had to wonder whether he was giving it all or would be willing to compete against bigger, more athletic guards. He's proof that you don't have to be the fastest, biggest or most highly recruited. You just have to be willing to play harder and do what the other guy won't.

Reactions: Farsight
Ulis is 27. Calipari was 29 when he got the job at UMass and 39 when he coached those 2 great games against Pitino in 1998. Coaching pay is so high these days that coaches don't regularly retire at 65 or even 70. Moving up the ladder will take longer for guys like Ulis.

Ulis is 27. Calipari was 29 when he got the job at UMass and 39 when he coached those 2 great games against Pitino in 1998. Coaching pay is so high these days that coaches don't regularly retire at 65 or even 70. Moving up the ladder will take longer for guys like Ulis.

Phil Jackson was 45 when he first became a head coach in ‘89. What works for one doesn’t always work for the other.

Right. You don't want to learn to coach from a coach that has over 800 wins, is in the HoF and has taken every school he's coached to the FF. He should learn from some internet warrior with say maybe zero wins?

Or maybe he could learn from RR faves Musselman and Oats? You know, guys that needs a map to find the FF. That's the ticket. Or the UConn fans here can point to their one time FF coach?

Because recruiting is a name game. Tyler is not established yet. I didn't say he'd suck. What is going for him is he did spend some time in the NBA so that will help give him some edge with connections. But, it's a whole different game than it used to be with NIL.
No first time head coach has the big name, every one has to start out unknown.
But also NIL can be an equalizer, helping even that unknown coach get players.

The thing about Tyler I loved the most was, you never had to wonder whether he was giving it all or would be willing to compete against bigger, more athletic guards. He's proof that you don't have to be the fastest, biggest or most highly recruited. You just have to be willing to play harder and do what the other guy won't.
Yeah and it also comes down to just being good. I mean I hear what you are saying and yes Tyler did always play hard but more than all of that he just knew how to play the game. He was undoubtedly gifted at keeping guys off balance. He used headfakes, lookaways and constant speed changes to get an advantage on his opponents. That is a skill in itself that a lot of people overlook. He was always a threat to score or to make the right play.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Yeah and it also comes down to just being good. I mean I hear what you are saying and yes Tyler did always play hard but more than all of that he just knew how to play the game. He was undoubtedly gifted at keeping guys off balance. He used headfakes, lookaways and constant speed changes to get an advantage on his opponents. That is a skill in itself that a lot of people overlook. He was always a threat to score or to make the right play.
Agree with everything you said. I always thought he had a little of that Rajon Rondo-type ability to anticipate and as you say "make the right play'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT