ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis returning?

I think your lack of vision on establishing connections with Cal's former players is shortsighted and minimal.

Do you have specific examples of those players no longer wanting to have anything to do with Kentucky? Seems like quite an assumptive leap on your end, and a shortsighted one at that. Why not strengthen those relationships, especially when it's clear that guys like Booker, Dillingham, Sheppard and Wall (all friends of Ulis) have said they still support Kentucky?

Wisdom would dictate that Coach Pope use every advantage at his disposal; and presently, there is no college program in America that has more NBA success than Kentucky. Why throw that away over an assumption?
Ok so you’re moving the goal post already. First it was he had massive connections now you twist it to I lack a vision of establishing connections.

Who said I was assuming anything negative. All
I did was call out your bs that said Tyler has Massive connections and friends which will help recruiting, which you have yet to prove has done anything on the recruiting triail. As far as former players, several have posted things about Cal and UK since Cal left such as Cousins. Not my fault you don’t read what they say.

Again you skip questions such as, can you name 1 single recruit Tyler has helped UK get since leaving with his friends and massive connections? Just 1 will do where there is proof Tyler and his massive connections paid off. If they are that massive I’m sure you have a list of recruits Tyler has reeled in so far right?

So did the players that played for former coaches. However they didn’t feel apart of the program over the last few years because of the disconnect. Ulis would be that connection on a personal level.

Mr. Wildcat was the anchor for years. Rock Oliver might end up being close to that. You need guys around that have relationships with former players to keep the blood running blue.

They should always feel welcomed and apart of the program. That establishes the culture of Kentucky across the chest means more because it does.
Exactly, we need to welcome them all back. They all played for us and they are a part of our history. Obviously some like Sharpe don’t deserve it, Whitney who quit half a season in. The guys who played well and represented us should always be welcome no matter the coach. I know Pope will make that happen for sure even for Cal’s guys.

I loved Ulis as a player and for the most part, I don't really care that much who the assistants are below the top 2 or so.

I'm just not sure what he brings to the table. I don't think there's any real need to spend a lot of time and focus on building a bridge to recent players. If they want to associate with UK, they will. There isn't nearly as much benefit to UK as some think and it's just not worth the effort. The recruits really don't care that much anymore. They'll associate those players with Cal because that's how Cal played it and because we haven't been relevant in so long at this point. And these days, it's more about the money than anything else, sadly.

Now if the plan is to let him continue to learn and develop and he shows a lot of potential and promise and might move up the ladder as a coach with UK over time, then that makes sense to me.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Ulis is a done deal for Arkansas. Nothing can be announced until he graduates from college this summer.
Could replace Arkansas with Kentucky and this is still true. Waiting for him to graduate may be why Pope hasn't filled the final spot yet.

I think Arkansas is where he ends up, but we be a good hire for Pope. It was obvious the coaching he does on the bench several times, and as others have said the connection to the Cal era is strong and he has good NBA buddies. Never hurts to bring the people recruits want to be around to meet them.

I'm not holding my breath with this report, but (like most fan), I'd love to see it. I'd personally like to see a former Kentucky player on the staff. Ulis would be a perfect fit for that role. Not only is he a coach's son, but he's played here and the NBA. He understands what it takes in all aspects. I wish him the best nonetheless!

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
Bleed Blue Network is the group of drifters who showed up during the coaching search. They have no insight in the program and are in the same spaces as Joe Adams.
Weird considering that people believe Tristan Pharis, an office manager in Leitchfield Kentucky is an expert and knows the inside goings on in the UK athletics department and at Klutch sports. He buys the same info and presents it as his own just like they do.

I could have sworn I read he had already accepted an offer from Cal to go to Arkansas. Thought I read it several weeks ago. Guess I missed something somewhere.
He did but no announcement has been made by the school since and it’s been a month. It was a news article but nothing official.

Ok so you’re moving the goal post already. First it was he had massive connections now you twist it to I lack a vision of establishing connections.

Who said I was assuming anything negative. All
I did was call out your bs that said Tyler has Massive connections and friends which will help recruiting, which you have yet to prove has done anything on the recruiting triail. As far as former players, several have posted things about Cal and UK since Cal left such as Cousins. Not my fault you don’t read what they say.

Again you skip questions such as, can you name 1 single recruit Tyler has helped UK get since leaving with his friends and massive connections? Just 1 will do where there is proof Tyler and his massive connections paid off. If they are that massive I’m sure you have a list of recruits Tyler has reeled in so far right?
No one's moving any goal post. I'm simply extending the conversation so that it's not so confined to your predetermined linear outlook on the subject.

Ulis hasn't even been in an official assistant coach position since he came to UK. So there would be no players who could technically be recruited by him.

Did you know that?

But you still have a question to answer: why is it a bad thing to utilize someone who is connected to our 10 NBA All-Stars under Cal, not counting Jamal Murray? Why not strengthen those bridges instead of burn them? One of those guys just finished #2 in the MVP voting. If you're going to land the AJ Dybantsas of the world, it would be wise to point him to former players who have shared a crucial experience playing "in the brightest lights" at Kentucky. Why squander that?

That's a very simple question. I'm eager to read your response.

I would love this so much. He would be an excellent pg coach. One of the highest IQ basketball players to play under CCC

There is a weird fascination for having Ulis be part of this coaching staff. I loved the guy as a player, but I find it pretty strange that he gets brought up every other week on here. Nobody knows if he is a good coach or not other than unsubstantiated rumors. He learned from Cal for goodness sake. I’d love it if Gimel Martinez (the greatest player in the history of the school) would join Pope, but you don’t hear me going on and on about it.
I’d personally prefer Rondo if we are going former players. For the guys saying, “ Ulis keeps the nba guys of the last 15 years connected and bridges the gap”; I think that is being over assumed and Rondo has a relationship with almost all of those guys as well seeing as he was an established veteran, NBA champion, potential HOFer while all those guys were entering the league. They both have had legal issues so that isn’t an argument for or against either. Rondo has been called the most intelligent basketball player by everybody he’s played with including big ego guys like Lebron.

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
Ulis is my favorite uk player ever, but the warm and fuzzy aspects of his situation seems to trivialize him. He isn't a magic wand, a teddy bear, or a trophy, and UK isn't an employer-of-last-resort for former players. It's just a half-step from nepotism.

I’d personally prefer Rondo if we are going former players. For the guys saying, “ Ulis keeps the nba guys of the last 15 years connected and bridges the gap”; I think that is being over assumed and Rondo has a relationship with almost all of those guys as well seeing as he was an established veteran, NBA champion, potential HOFer while all those guys were entering the league. They both have had legal issues so that isn’t an argument for or against either. Rondo has been called the most intelligent basketball player by everybody he’s played with including big ego guys like Lebron.
Rondo is the other guy that keeps getting brought up. He’s a nut job. I just don’t think having a former player on staff is a big deal. Assistants (other than the top couple on staff) are a dime a dozen in most instances.

I would love to have Ulis back it would be a great hire. Also like the fact he would be a bridge of one of Cal's former players on the sidelines at Kentucky.

Rondo is the other guy that keeps getting brought up. He’s a nut job. I just don’t think having a former player on staff is a big deal. Assistants (other than the top couple on staff) are a dime a dozen in most instances.
I like the idea of having a former player on staff...that doesn't bother me. However, I wouldn't want Rondo around at all.

Reactions: westerncat
I want Ulis to stay with UK for his sake more than UK’s. Tying his wagon to a coaching staff on a decline won’t help him as much as working with Pope, Hart, and Brooks.

Ulis is my favorite uk player ever, but the warm and fuzzy aspects of his situation seems to trivialize him. He isn't a magic wand, a teddy bear, or a trophy, and UK isn't an employer-of-last-resort for former players. It's just a half-step from nepotism.
Let's be honest here - would Mark Pope have been hired if he wasn't a former player? Because I don't think so.

Let's be honest here - would Mark Pope have been hired if he wasn't a former player? Because I don't think so.
Perhaps not. But being a former player means more than just the title. Pope loves the school, appreciates all that it is, and has a strong desire to see it succeed. I think that is what was missing from our last coach and something that Mitch wanted to bring back. And it shouldn't be written off either. The proper motivation is paramount to success.

Reactions: travisbickle
No one's moving any goal post. I'm simply extending the conversation so that it's not so confined to your predetermined linear outlook on the subject.

Ulis hasn't even been in an official assistant coach position since he came to UK. So there would be no players who could technically be recruited by him.

Did you know that?

But you still have a question to answer: why is it a bad thing to utilize someone who is connected to our 10 NBA All-Stars under Cal, not counting Jamal Murray? Why not strengthen those bridges instead of burn them? One of those guys just finished #2 in the MVP voting. If you're going to land the AJ Dybantsas of the world, it would be wise to point him to former players who have shared a crucial experience playing "in the brightest lights" at Kentucky. Why squander that?

That's a very simple question. I'm eager to read your response.
You can try your slight insults to my fanhood, I’m not taking the bait. Again you moved the goal post. You said he had massive connections and he had friends that played here. Hell I bet several on this very forum are friends with past players ‘at r we should all be on the payroll. Tyler knew a long time before being announced he was going to be a coach here yet not a single recruit last year or one for this coming year was associated with him before Cal left. Not one, that’s not a massive connection. Also, strengthening of past players is good but that will it ever help with future recruits to the point of commitment over the mighty NIL, period. You’re just sounding like an 8 year changing your story at this point. Better to just say you really like Tyler and would love him to remain at UK, no one would fault you for that but to say he is an instant massive connected plug for recruiting and formers players is just asinine.

But that's not the only reason he was hired, though.
I would argue that it was the reason he was hired. No one else with a similar record and post season success was considered at all. The only reason he was considered was because he played here. Had he played anywhere else, he would have never been considered.

Now, I’m all on board and feel like he can win here, but let’s not be blind to the fact the only reason he is here is because he played here.

Reactions: CatsFan4Evr.
But that's not the only reason he was hired, though.
I’m all in on Pope. Much better than a repeat of the train wreck before. Having said that, if he never played here and didn’t have connections to UK or Mitch, no way he gets the job over tier 1 or 2 coaches. Because he played here and learned, and excelled, at the RP school of ball with modernizatio, I’m excited.

How is he a nut job? You know him?

It would be nice to keep the nba guys involved, maybe for nil reasons

How does having friends help exactly?
I would think if you are from that system / area, played ball in that area, are still plugged into that area that means more than, hey i show up and talk to people. Maybe i am wrong, but i can read into what is being stated there.

Per Kyle Tucker:
Nick Robinson is the 5th coach Pope has zeroed in on from his BYU staff (played at Stanford).
Saw on aseaofblue website.

You can try your slight insults to my fanhood, I’m not taking the bait. Again you moved the goal post. You said he had massive connections and he had friends that played here. Hell I bet several on this very forum are friends with past players ‘at r we should all be on the payroll. Tyler knew a long time before being announced he was going to be a coach here yet not a single recruit last year or one for this coming year was associated with him before Cal left. Not one, that’s not a massive connection. Also, strengthening of past players is good but that will it ever help with future recruits to the point of commitment over the mighty NIL, period. You’re just sounding like an 8 year changing your story at this point. Better to just say you really like Tyler and would love him to remain at UK, no one would fault you for that but to say he is an instant massive connected plug for recruiting and formers players is just asinine.
Twice I've already pointed out that Ulis is connected to the better AU teams in Chicago. Twice you've ignored that point.

1. He's connected to Chicago AU circles.
2. He's connected to our former NBA players.
3. Those first two points are good enough for you, which is fine but you're still just as wrong as you were at the beginning of this discussion by minimizing Ulis' connections to Chicago and our current NBA players.

Twice I've already pointed out that Ulis is connected to the better AU teams in Chicago. Twice you've ignored that point.

1. He's connected to Chicago AU circles.
2. He's connected to our former NBA players.
3. Those first two points are good enough for you, which is fine but you're still just as wrong as you were at the beginning of this discussion by minimizing Ulis' connections to Chicago and our current NBA players.
And for 2 years of recruiting at UK he didn’t help being plugged in or not. And being friends with other players doesn’t help either, this isn’t elementary school. And clearly Pope doesn’t think he has a magic wand either with his “massive connections” because he clearly isn’t the targeted coach nor did he try to move hell to keep him.

I
I would argue that it was the reason he was hired. No one else with a similar record and post season success was considered at all. The only reason he was considered was because he played here. Had he played anywhere else, he would have never been considered.

Now, I’m all on board and feel like he can win here, but let’s not be blind to the fact the only reason he is here is because he played here.
If you read my post slowly and carefully, I said it wasn't the ONLY reason he was hired.

I think it might be good to have a young former player on the staff who can build a good connection with players and act as a bridge between players and staff. He could help to keep the older coaches knowing how the "winds are blowing".

I
If you read my post slowly and carefully, I said it wasn't the ONLY reason he was hired.
I read it and saw the word only. He would not have been hired if he didn’t play at UK. So, I would argue the only reason he was hired is that he played at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT