ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby gone...

Oh please. Add Memphis to the list of programs he drove into the ground. And he gets $10 million to leave! He doesn't need another job. He needs a banker to count his money
They have their whole team returning coming off of a 21-13 season and he drove them into the ground? Just another example of the poor education system in Kentucky. How dumb do you have to be to claim Memphis was ran into the ground with those circumstances?

They have their whole team returning coming off of a 21-13 season and he drove them into the ground? Just another example of the poor education system in Kentucky. How dumb do you have to be to claim Memphis was ran into the ground with those circumstances?

Lol. Yep blame our fans. Tubby Smith super fan you are.

News flash, he sucks and can't recruit. But you would rather see him have a job than win games at several schools.

Lol. Yep blame our fans. Tubby Smith super fan you are.

News flash, he sucks and can't recruit. But you would rather see him have a job than win games at several schools.

This guys only reason for posting is to start sh!t. This is his dream thread, gives him reason to wake up in the morning. I almost fell into the rabbit hole, but then realized arguing with someone like him only goes one direction - circle. He's a turd.

Reactions: Cindog28
Tubby should go back to his alma mater, High Point and finish off his career if that job ever comes open.

The game passed Tubby by. He didn't evolve with it. Kids these days already come in having quite a bit of knowledge since they play early and all year round. A college coach these days has to take them to another level...develop them further.

Tubby would be better off to be at a mid major, or a high school where he can teach kids the game. similar thing with Bob knight...it passed him by.

I'm just finding it amusing that Memphis is willing to spend $10+ million to get rid of their former coach and pay a glorified high school coach who used to play there a large salary in order to land a top prospect who will be there a year.

Kid's good, but not $13 million good. Geez.

Calm down, Keyser. Attendance is down to 6000/game. Interest at an all time low. No help on the horizon. The university evidently thinks it's cost effective to pay him $10 million to disappear. But, hey, I'm the dumb one. I would pay to hear you make Tubby's case to Memphis' boosters, especially since you're so brilliant.

Reactions: Cindog28
Calm down, Keyser. Attendance is down to 6000/game. Interest at an all time low. No help on the horizon. The university evidently thinks it's cost effective to pay him $10 million to disappear. But, hey, I'm the dumb one. I would pay to hear you make Tubby's case to Memphis' boosters, especially since you're so brilliant.
You're a moron if you think he ran that program into the ground. I'm not sure why thats such a hard concept to grasp.

Reactions: JFCats22
Wow looking at Memphis record before Cal they really were irrelevant and I was half ass kidding in a earlier post, but I wasn't far off. One runner up, a couple vacated final fours ( one of which was when Cal was there). That was years decades ago when they had the runner up though.

Oh yeah my point was they are talking about saving Memphis basketball, but there isn't much to save for real.

Tubby won 20 games this year and led cincy by 13 at the half. He did a great job. Keep him Memphis.

Check his career.

He doesn't.

His first two gigs, he left on his own. Starting at UK, things didn't go quite so well He left UK but only the clueless think he wasn't being pushed out. Tubby said as much when he said that whenever a high profile coach leaves, it is an indication of issues with the A.D.

Minnesota flat out fire him.

He "quit" Texas Tech like a bball player quitting his team and transferring.

He will be fired tomorrow.

Not sure how that is such a stellar career. I get a kick out of Tubby fans telling us how great he is and how he is the savior of Minnesota and then gets fired. Then, we are told that Memphis loves some Tubby and not long later he is fired. Some of you will never learn.

His first two gigs, he left on his own. Starting at UK, things didn't go quite so well He left UK but only the clueless think he wasn't being pushed out. Tubby said as much when he said that whenever a high profile coach leaves, it is an indication of issues with the A.D.

Minnesota flat out fire him.

He "quit" Texas Tech like a bball player quitting his team and transferring.

He will be fired tomorrow.

Not sure how that is such a stellar career. I get a kick out of Tubby fans telling us how great he is and how he is the savior of Minnesota and then gets fired. Then, we are told that Memphis loves some Tubby and not long later he is fired. Some of you will never learn.

Minnesota's AD has pretty much come out and said that Tubby didn't deserve to be fired.

I am not a tubby fan. I am VERY glad he is no longer UK's coach.

But anybody, and I mean ANYBODY who tries to claim that Tubby can't coach, just clearly doesn't know much about basketball. It's that simple.

Minnesota's AD has pretty much come out and said that Tubby didn't deserve to be fired.

I am not a tubby fan. I am VERY glad he is no longer UK's coach.

But anybody, and I mean ANYBODY who tries to claim that Tubby can't coach, just clearly doesn't know much about basketball. It's that simple.

But, he WAS fired! Minny can put lipstick on a pig but Tubby was fired. And, many would agree that he should have been for putting his son ahead of the program, among other things.

But, he WAS fired! Minny can put lipstick on a pig but Tubby was fired. And, many would agree that he should have been for putting his son ahead of the program, among other things.

Right, because he only took Minnesota to 3 NCAA tournaments, when they boasted 4 in their whole program history prior to him.

He didn't cheat, and he did more winning than any other coach in their program's history.

So why should he have been fired??

Reactions: CatfanMike47
So why should he have been fired??

Do you even bother to read what you wrote? You make claims and when someone points out the error, you change the subject. Someone with a good case doesn't do that. At least stick to the truth. Not sure why that is so hard?

Wanna know why he was fired? This guy doesn't even cover the Saul Smith DUI and player DUI and all the turmoil that goes with Tubby...

http://www.startribune.com/uh-kentucky-y-all-were-right-about-tubby/116091704/

Don’t feel sorry for Tubby. He’s always been one of the highest paid coaches in the NCAA, but has never had the success to match the fortune he’s made. He’s won one NCAAT game in the last 11seasons, he didn’t get UK back to a Final Four his last 9 seasons and he was fired by mighty Minnesota, now fired again.

Tubby’s agent has been the genius throughout it all.

Yep you are. Hill is a racist joke and so is everyone saying running Tubby out of town is too. That includes you.

He has since been fired by 2 other schools for sucking.

BCG sucked but I don't remember the out cry when we since his ass packing. Hmm I wonder why.

So, did you graduate from UK or not???

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/13/...tubby-smith-college-basketball-penny-hardaway

tubbysdoor.jpg

I wonder what Dicky V had to say.....probably called them all kinds of "names!"

AlohaCat

Reactions: CatPhight
Link?

I'm only asking because I remember reading where the AD said, "The program just needed a new set of eyes" and I couldn't help but laugh. :joy:

"Tubby has had a long and distinguished career and we feel it's time for a fresh set of eyes for our student-athletes and our program in general," Teague said. "We are grateful to Tubby and his entire staff for their hard work and dedication to this university, our students and the entire Minnesota community."

"Tubby has had a long and distinguished career and we feel it's time for a fresh set of eyes for our student-athletes and our program in general," Teague said. "We are grateful to Tubby and his entire staff for their hard work and dedication to this university, our students and the entire Minnesota community."
Right. The AD didn't say he didn't deserved to be fired. Thank you for providing the rest of the quote.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Why is Tubby being fired??

My take is playing a ton of cupcakes but not putting a quality team on the court....but, this is another take...

If Smith is dismissed (and it certainly appears he will be) it won’t be because his team finished 105 in the RPI and 160 at KenPom.com. It won’t be because, in his second year on the job, Smith assembled a roster that was so unimpressive that — for perhaps the first time in program history — a Memphis coach is being lauded for finishing fifth in the conference. It won’t even be because Smith’s attorney decided to publicly eviscerate the university administrators and boosters who entrusted Smith with the job in the first place.

No, it will because Smith’s continuing presence is creating a financial crisis for the athletic department. It will be because of contributions and ticket sales.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...1/why-memphis-may-fire-tubby-smith/414598002/

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
https://www.commercialappeal.com/st.../06/tubby-smith-out-penny-hardaway/400065002/

"Why would Memphis get rid of a future Hall of Fame coach? He’s only been given two years. His team was picked to finish ninth in the conference this season and overachieved to finish fifth. Pay a guy like that $9.75 million to go away? Those Memphis people are delusional.

To which the obvious response is: Who cares what other people think? What is their investment in Memphis basketball? They likely don’t know that attendance is at a 48-year-low. They likely don’t know that Smith hasn’t been able to recruit a high school player out of Memphis since he got the job. They likely don’t know that athletic department contributions are down by $1.1 million and that the sagging attendance will cost Memphis another $800,000 under the FedExForum lease.

Some of you might say that’s not fair to Smith. I get that, I really do. But is it fair to continue with a coach once you’ve concluded he can’t do the job? By that, I don’t mean just the job on the court, necessarily. I mean everything else that’s involved. Filling a building. Generating contributions. Recruiting at a high level. Representing the university with enthusiasm. Larry Finch was fired at Memphis less than a year after going to the NCAA Tournament. And he’s the most important person in the history of the program. Smith himself was fired at Minnesota the same year he took the team to the NCAA Tournament and actually won a game.

Coaching at this level involves more than coaching at this level. Smith’s inability to understand that is why he is headed to the conference tournament with no guarantee that he will coach beyond that."

:popcorn:
This should have been posted 3 pages ago. Tubby's on-court ability won't be why he may be fired.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT