ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby gone...

No surprise. Memphis fans and the administration are some of the most delusional people on the planet.

I hope they fail and fail big time with their next hire.
If they hire that hs/AAU coach it could get very ugly. I don't think a college should hire a HS coach for HC when he has never coached in college jmo

Reactions: JFCats22
You may not see any value in my post but you won't see the victim card played either.

What a stand up guy you are then. Congratulations for being so evolved. Knuckle dragger here; doesn't change the reality that many of the loudest mouthpieces across the college basketball landscape labeled an entire fan base and state racists. From where I stand, that's disgusting. And as I see now, and a few times since, it doesn't apply anywhere else but here. I take issue with that. I'm glad you don't. Don't know what I would do (or the entire fan base for that matter) without you telling me to settle down.

What a stand up guy you are then. Congratulations for being so evolved. Knuckle dragger here; doesn't change the reality that many of the loudest mouthpieces across the college basketball landscape labeled an entire fan base and state racists. From where I stand, that's disgusting. And as I see now, and a few times since, it doesn't apply anywhere else but here. I take issue with that. I'm glad you don't. Don't know what I would do (or the entire fan base for that matter) without you telling me to settle down.
Who exactly called you a racist? Don't be lazy and vaguely say media, let's address these people specifically.

Maybe not after Cal landed Jeffries...
Won't have much to do with it but doesn't hurt. Simply if they are morons and hire Penny. Wiseman ain't going there . Cal and Wiseman and especially Wiseman's Mom are too tight. I am not going to lose a single moment of sleep over that.

P.S. It was extremely stupid to fire Tubby he was doing a good job there.

Memphis recognized Tubby was grifter...they did what was right for their program.

If they hire Penny, I'm assuming Wiseman is going too. Can't see why he would take that job if he didn't have JW in his pocket.
I still find it hard fathom a college the level of Memphis would hire a coach with so little experience their head coach ( sure as an assistant) but even so I don't think this train of thought is based in much fact. Wiseman ( and most big time players) aren't going to risk their brand playing for an un proven coach at a smaller school. Now I do think alot of lesser Memphis kids would flock to play for him for sure. Also Cal and Wiseman are tighter then any recruit maybe ever in Cal's tenure. There has never been more of a lock for UK in Cal's time.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I still find it hard fathom a college the level of Memphis would hire a coach with so little experience their head coach ( sure as an assistant) but even so I don't think this train of thought is based in much fact. Wiseman ( and most big time players) aren't going to risk their brand playing for an un proven coach at a smaller school. Now I do think alot of lesser Memphis kids would flock to play for him for sure. Also Cal and Wiseman are tighter then any recruit maybe ever in Cal's tenure. There has never been more of a lock for UK in Cal's time.

Didn't it seem like Petty was a solid lock to UK and that went nowhere.

There is no such thing as a lock in recruiting and most people realize this that follow it. I could see Wiseman following Penny to Memphis since he went to bat for him to get him eligible at his high school.

The most accurate post Imo is the guy is the best x and o coach we've had in over twenty years. Downfall was he stated many times he hated recruiting and the AAU circuit.....and it ended up showing huge.

Again, what stats back this up?

I’m asking honestly.

Please, anyone!

One of 2 coaches to take 5 different programs to the NCAA tournament.

Took Minnesota to 3 NCAA tournaments, when their entire program history prior to Tubby only boasted 4 TOTAL.

Took Texas Tech from a dumpster fire to NCAA tournament team, and basically set up the run they are on this year (3 seed).

Has won 600 games, and an all time win percentage of over 65% (CRAZY).

Has won 7 conference Coach of the Year awards in 3 different conferences.

3 time National Coach of the Year.

Has coached 19 players that went on to play in the NBA.

The man is going to be in the Hall of Fame when he's retired, and people on here act like he's a scrub coach.

The man can coach his NUTS off, whether you want to admit it or not.

Took Minnesota to 3 NCAA tournaments, when their entire program history prior to Tubby only boasted 4 TOTAL.

Took Texas Tech from a dumpster fire to NCAA tournament team, and basically set up the run they are on this year (3 seed).

The man is going to be in the Hall of Fame when he's retired, and people on here act like he's a scrub coach.

Coach his nuts off...please. 65% winning percentage isn’t “coaching his nuts off”.

He’s an above average coach...period. Nothing more Donna

And Pitino set up his title. Gotcha !

Because he's never had the talent of the bigger guys (recruiting).

He's one of only 2 coaches (Lon Kruger) to take 5 different programs to the NCAA tournament.

He can COACH. He just can't recruit.
Unlike Tubby, Lon Kruger is still wanted when he leaves a job.

Look, I’m not a tubby hater or lover.

When people say he’s the worst, I think it’s silly hyperbole, like when people say “he can coach his nuts off”.

Dude is an above average coach that was hungry at Tulsa and Georgia,had five really good years at Kentucky and the rest of his career has been eh.

Just be honest

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
You've been out on the recruiting trail and observed this?

Numerous comments from recruits. Rush said that he felt like Tubby wasn't interested. The Pattersons commented on how much harder Billy recruited their son.

One sports writer (Decourcy?) wrote an article back around 2002 or so and said that Tubby's idea of recruiting was to show up in a UK sweatshirt and wait for recruits to come to him. Matt Jones documented some of the unbelievable lapses in recruiting of players like Stewart and Marshal Moses.

And, someone posted a quote from Saul Smith about the staff's recruiting philosophy of offering a scholarship and if the kid doesn't commit, they move to the next kid. Really? That is recruiting! That is just plain lazy!!!!

Saul Smith's word of wisdom on recruiting....

"Recruiting, to me, is the lifeblood of a program. But the great thing about working for a guy like Coach Smith is if a player is not interested or kind of puts us to the side, we don't even worry about it. We just move on to the next kid. He's won with less players; he's won with great players. So when a kid struggles to figure out what he wants to do, we're like, 'Look, you've got a scholarship offer. We're willing to take you if you really want to come. We're letting you know we've got two or three other kids in mind.' And if they say, 'Coach, I'm gonna wait,' I'm like, 'Well, it's been great. Let us know if we can do something for you,' and we'll just go sign the other kid. We don't have time for that."

http://archive.commercialappeal.com...ing-from-mistakes-38a08c6f-7d-388587971.html/

EXACTLY. Anyone who can't see that has a pretty obvious agenda for slamming him....just isn't man enough to own up to it.

Reactions: CatfanMike47

Why does he keep getting fired?

I hope not as I have first hand family experience with that, but I believe his Dad did have it and there is some evidence to suggest an hereditary connection. Wish him well, he just didn't get it done here.
OTS is an excellent coach and better person. He is an outstanding in game bench coach, one of the very bet. He had some great recruiting classes at UK but gradually failed miserably as a recruiter. His "coaching style" is no different from Tony Bennett's at UVA. They boyth use the ball line defense and play a control offensive game.. The difference is that Bennett wins against very formidable opposition , recruits intelligent four year players and fields experienced well drilled units committed to a specific style in the same way that Princeton was under Pete Carrill and UT was under Ray Mears Of course Mears once had Bernie and Ernie.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT